Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dare you brave the depths of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth?

Etrian Odyssey is an old school RPG. Well, it was released in 2007 on the DS, but everything from its minimalistic design, map drawing and horrendous bugs definitely harken back to the days of those early NES games. Being the first in the series, it's very rough around the edges and has quite a lot of problems, both in its mechanics and in its overall design.

Despite that, if you're in the mood for a pretty hard dungeon crawling experience, with trap skills, overpowered classes and pure, simple map drawing, then this is the game for you. Well, maybe the sequels might be a better fit, it's absolutely fascinating to see the series improve and develop as it goes on, making them some of the best RPGs on the DS and 3DS. But it's always good to go back to where you started, so you can wonder how the hell this series ever got off the ground.

This will be a Narrative LP that goes over all the juicy details of the game and as to why I'm LPing this game? Uh, well, I don't have 3DS capture, nor the hardware to really run Citra, and all the other DS EOs have been LPed! So process of elimination, really. Fret not, I still love this game to bits, so I'm perfectly happy to be able to LP a game from my second favourite series ever! Not only that, but I'll be joined by both the 3DS LPer, Ragnar Homsar and the DS LPer, Araxxor, as co-commentator, so this LP will surely be as good as Infinity War.

Of course, big thanks to Araxxor for helping me with a lot of prep and to various EO sites to collaborate all this info. I want this LP to be the place of the most accurate info we have on this game, since there's still a fair few things we don't know!

Updates

Part 0: Welcome to the Town of Etria
Part 1: The First Foray
Part 2: Early Encounters
Part 3: Two Stern Guards
Part 4: Making a Killing
Part 5: Awoouu (wolf Howl)
Fenrir Overview
Part 6: Wimpy Wolves Wahey (Guild Edda VS Fenrir)

Part 7: 2HKO
Part 8: Spikes, Secrets and Scorpions
Part 9: But Wyvern
Part 10: Up and Down Eight and Nine
Part 11: Tenfloor
Cernunos Overview
Part 12: Watch out for that tree! (Guild Edda VS Cernunos)

Part 13: Blue and Back Again
Part 14: Ants? Ants.
Royalant and Golem Overview
Part 15: Ant This Fun? (Guild Edda VS Royalant)
Part 16: Aryll Used Guillotine! (Guild Edda VS Golem)
Part 17: Wild Waterways
Part 18: Finally Finishing Floors!
Cotrangl Overview
Part 19: Always Take Your Shots (Guild Edda VS Cotrangl)

Part 20: Go With The Flow
Part 21: Short Seventeen
Part 22: Your Floors Are Like My Bank Account, Bro, Empty
Part 23: Bushed Out
Golem and Wyvern Overview
Iwaopeln Overview
Part 24: We'll Fight Them, Eh, Now, I Guess (Guild Edda VS Golem and Wyvern)
Part 25: Miss me yet? (Guild Edda VS B20F)
Part 26: Big Bird's Bullshit Break (Guild Edda VS Iwaopeln)

Part 27: Two Determined Women
Part 28: Three Floor Wonder
Part 29: Getting Lost in the City
Part 30: Hell of an Optional Time
Part 31: Going Down
Part 32: Smackdown ft. whatshisface (Guild Edda VS Etreant)

Part 33: Hell-o There
Part 34: Proper Postgame Introductions
Part 35: FOE in the Deep
Part 36: Five Fools or One Chilly Billy?
Part 37: Half-Self From Mad Doubt
Part 38: Long and Winding Road
Part 39: Wait a minute, did you just fight a bunch of dragons in one update?
Part 40: The Adventure Has Ended For Your Group

Side Notes

01: Stats for All Of Us
02: Damage Formula
03: AI, eh?
04: Encountering
05: Feat of Patience
06: Disablement Hierarchy

Class Overviews

Landsknecht Overview
Survivalist Overview
Protector Overview
Dark Hunter Overview
Medic Overview
Alchemist Overview
Troubadour Overview
Ronin Overview
Hexer Overview

If you're still hankering for map drawing goodness, then this forum has seen plenty of excellent LPs over the years:

Etrian Odyssey II by Dr. Fetus.
Etrian Odyssey III by Dr. Fetus.
Etrian Odyssey Untold by Ragnar Homsar
Etrian Odyssey II Untold by Ragnar Homsar
Etrian Odyssey V (Japanese) by Ragnar Homsar
Etrian Odyssey Nexus by Ragnar Homsar

See why I want to do an LP of this game before it gets snapped up? There's also the super mega Etrian Odyssey Discord!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 0: Welcome to the Town of Etria

Spinning the Tale :siren: Opening :siren:

Is it time for my Strange Journey LP already? Feels like I've been building up to it this whole time.

Innocents were stranded; sinners drowned in the depths; the damned vanished there. The great power was lost to Man, and Mother Earth turned her back to the new world. Only the cursed king on his throne in the abyss remembers that golden age.

The very first Etrian Odyssey is a bit rough around the edges and has a few bugs here and there. It's also pretty hard and unfriendly to newcomers, but it is pure, distilled late 20th century JRPGs and that is just wonderful. I cannot wait to show you this game. But, for the first time, I will be joined by some very cool peeps!

Hi, I'm Rea (Ragnar Homsar). I'm the woman that's made LPs of EO2U, EO5, and EOU. I didn't do EO1 because I didn't have the patience for it. Thankfully, Crosspeice does. My history with EO1 is that I played it up until the end of the main story and then lost all drive to play any further.

Hello there. I'm Araxxor. I suppose if we're doing credits, I made the EO2 and EO3 LPs. (And 7th Dragon which is a rip-off takes a lot of inspiration from EO1.) I've 100%ed every one of the mainline EO games. EO1 is pretty rough around the edges, but at the time, it was a very solid entry and one of the more successful attempts at modernizing the dungeon crawler. Though it was still fairly niche. This LP should be a very nice look into where this entire series started.

The cat will be the game text, cause I like cats. We'll check out the Options later, but let's jump right in.

Any able-bodied adventurer was invited to investigate the forest and explore its depths. But no matter how many came to investigate the dungeon, none gained the renown they sought. As more adventurers tried and failed to conquer it, it came to be known by a new name... The Yggdrasil Labyrinth. You are the latest adventurer to journey to Etria in response to the Radha's proclamation. You have but one goal: explore the forest to win fame and fortune. Etria is at hand...

Quaint little place we have here, though there's only one place to go.

That Name Was Engraved Into the 100th Volume!

Then welcome, friend. Not many guilds lately are admitting new adventurers. Those shortlisted losers care too much about trifles to do any real investigation. If you've got the guts, you should make a guild entirely for newcomers. There are loads of guys just sitting on their thumbs, who'd join any guild that'd take them.

What, I gotta make my own from scratch? Screw paperwork!

...alright fine, but I won't be reading any contracts I sign!

This will do for now, but it's only a temporary name.

Of course, you can go into the Labyrinth yourself. If you've got the stones, then register your own name as a member. More adventurers means more options open to you, and less of a chance of dying down there. Think about it for a while, and make sure you register a variety of classes into your guild.

Any hints or tips? Kinda throwing me into the deep end with what I can choose from.

Right. I thought all these preset idiots would be flocking to join my guild, but if I've gotta come up with my own members, then I'm outta here.

Hmm, I still don't want to create my own, so how about you, yes you, the reader, come up with your own character that I can use for this LP! What an excellent idea that I totally came up with myself.

To be fair, I don't see how you'd do an EO LP without characters if you want to keep the majority of peoples' attention.

I mean it would certainly be possible. But consensus from others and the LP sandcastle would be that it would be boring as hell to read. Especially with a game like EO1, which doesn't exactly have as much going on as the later games.

Agreed, when most of the game is a blank slate for you to do whatever, I should definitely challenge myself with my first narrative attempt.

Landsknecht Overview

The first class is a pretty standard one, but that's good in this game. I've written up overviews of every class, so marvel in their skills and stats. Landy's have great damage output, for both regular mobs and bosses, if you switch weapons, and can take a fair few hits. Definitely a dependable damage dealer, drat!

Landsknecht's a strong contender for a party slot in most any composition. Can take hits, can deal hits, what else do you really want out of a damage dealer?

Ah, the Landsknecht. This game was probably their finest moment (I consider the version in EO4 and EON to be entirely different classes from this one.) since they ended up being nerfed hard in the later games. A very dependable jack of all trades. You can't go wrong with putting one in your party!

Survivalist Overview

Next up is another dependable damage dealer that can take some hits. Survivalists can work from the front or back with their bows and can make other members go first, which is very handy. They have slightly less damage than a Landy with their multi hit attacks, but that's by no means a bad thing. Also they can get us a lot of dosh, but I'll have a gather party for that.

Survivalists are weird in EO1. In EO2 and on, they've shifted into a semi-supportish class whose main asset is their high speed, but in EO1 they're just straight-up damage dealers.

Oh, Survivalists. This game was where they were at their peak and... let's not speak of what happened to them in EO2. Though they did get better in later games. Anyways as for this game, if Landsknechts are a jack of all trades, then Survivalists are a master of all! Damage dealing? Battle support? Field support? You name it, they're great at it. And yes, you can actually put them in the front row in this game, unlike in later games where that's a bad bad idea if you don't know what you're doing.

Protector Overview

If you want to not die in one hit, then Protectors are pretty drat great, able to take hardly any damage from attacks, as well as protect the rest of the party from both physical and elemental damage. Due to their high STR they can even deal some nice damage in the lategame, but that's a while away still. You probably shouldn't leave home without one.

Due to how a lot of core mechanics work in EO1 (namely, that they don't), I can't imagine not using a Protector. They're even good damage dealers when they don't need to use their defensive skills!

I'd actually say defensive wise, Protectors aren't really that great in this game due to a bunch of weird design decisions. But that's not saying the class is bad, it's still one of the better classes to go with since there's quite a bit they do for your party.

Dark Hunter Overview

An excellent support class that deals damage but also inflicts binds and/or ailments. In a regular game you'll use Whips to bind enemies and avoid stepping on a Landy's toes with Swords, but since binds will be covered in another way, I'll be using a whole host of ailments for this class. While ailments are not required for any conditional drops, they're still kinda useful. But you should use a Whip one.

I never used a Dark Hunter in my one run of EO1. Disables work completely differently here from any other EO game, and the way they work turned me off using DHs.

Can't blame you there. Dark Hunters are actually one of the weaker classes to go with in this game. Though they're not terrible by any means, but it can be difficult to justify using one if you're trying to set up a good party.

Medic Overview

The best class in the game, hands down, with the broken skill of Immunize that apparently works exactly as intended. Oh yeah, they also heal you for ridiculous amounts, can bring you back to life and can hit you with a staff for crazy damage in the lategame. It's crazy how useful this class is and not having one in your party is a real bad idea. While you can ignore Immunize and have plenty of items to sub in the healing skills... just use one.

If you don't use Medic 2 or Medic 3 then I don't want to talk to you.

If you are playing the game for the first time, for the sake of your sanity put this class in your party! It's suicidal to not do so! This game hates you so much, and Medics really take the sting out of what the game will try to throw at you!

Alchemist Overview

Ah, finally, actual elemental damage. You can use all three elements at once here and they do a lot of damage, if falling off a bit in the lategame. Alchemists are fantastic for conditional drops, hitting weaknesses and offering more variety in attacks. They won't do much else, but they're always fun to use and will happily sit in the back row all day slinging spells. Also they can Poison stuff, but it's horrendously bugged, so only do so in the early game.

Alchemists are a pretty decent class to go with. Having one can make the very rough early game so much easier to deal with. I would definitely recommend this class for a first timer. Veterans on the other hand, may want slot in the next class from the get-go instead.

Troubadour Overview

Buffs, buffs and more buffs! With songs that last all battle, Troubadours might not contribute damage directly, but their skills are something you probably can't be without. Also they're super useful in the postgame and can make your party better, faster, stronger, as well as recover TP, boost experience gains and reduce elemental damage while increasing it for the enemy! That's usually all the classes you can use from the start, but where's the fun in that?

Troubs are good in EO1, but they suffer from a lack of dynamism, if you catch my drift. They just kind of throw down songs and then sit around and be pretty useless.

Troubadours may be a bit boring to use, but they're easily one of the most important classes in the game. The support they provide for your party easily justifies the slot in the party they take up. That said, their early game isn't that great, so newcomers may want to use an Alchemist over them instead.

Ronin Overview

For this LP, I'll be using the unlockable classes right from the start! Mainly because they're unlocked way too late to be useful and also cause they're kinda bad regardless. While the Ronin deals ridiculous single target damage, they need time setting up, only a few of their skills are any good and they have a habit of dying easily. But aside from that, they can shred Bosses very quickly and have a lot of ATK buffs.

Still a lot better than EO2U Ronin.

Ronin... have issues. To say the least. On a normal playthrough, where you unlock them far later, they're very difficult to slot in, because by the time you unlock them, your party is very likely set in stone at that moment. There's a lot more I could say, but I think I'll save that for later.

Hexer Overview

The worst class, due to being unlocked so late, having awful stats and basically zero damage output. Hexers are at least better at laying down ailments and binds due to their class skill, but they don't do anything aside from that. Dark Hunters will be just fine doing their job, but since I want to show off how useful Hexers can be, our Dark Hunter will have to do something less useful. A shame, but if I'm gonna use this lovely class, I might as well do it properly!

EO1 is a seriously awful game for Hexers because of the fact that stats don't influence disable infliction at all, which really badly devalues the Hexer skillset compared to, say, a Dark Hunter.

For those of you familiar with the later games, it may be surreal to think of the Hexer as a bad class, but that's unfortunately what they are in EO1 due to how so many things resist what they can dish out in this game. Later games would be far more kind to them, but in this game it's very hard to justify using one. Especially on a normal playthrough where they're unlocked even later than Ronin!

Well that was a fun test, but none of what I've submitted here will carry over. Now you've seen all the classes and know basically everything they do, you can submit a character to use in my very first ~NARRATIVE~ LP. I'm looking forward to some real good submissions! Don't feel like you need to read every overview, or even any, to submit something, or understand the game. I'll be posting them throughout the thread so we can go more in depth, submit something if you've got a cool idea, I'd love to see it!

Make gay characters. Make trans characters. Make all kinds of characters, but especially the ones I already said. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 1, 2019

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Edda Guild!

Lavin the Landy by Lynneth

Lavin used to be part of Etria's militia troops until the call to adventure went out. He did wait some time to see what the fuss was all about before finally ditching the safe-ish, steady work under the Radha. Now the impressionable young man is eagerly looking for a Guild to sign up with. He's eager, a bit inexperienced in life (if not battle), but stubborn as all hell, and willing to keep going at a problem until it's not there any more. His slight build belies the strength he can bring to bear. Magic gives Lavin the crawlies though, because that stuff's just so weird. He much prefers hacking and slashing to this mysticism stuff that some people use. Throwing fire can't be healthy for you in the long run. Can it?

Gerson the Protector by ajkalan

An audacious blacksmith of little renown but great ambition, he sees the labyrinth as a chance to prove that he can forge better armor and weapons than anyone else in the country. And since someone else might screw it up, he naturally dons his goods and heads into Yggdrasil himself, confident that he can swing his sword just as well as he can hammer it. Gerson is fearless and cocksure; if he does indeed experience fear, then he is convincing at masking it with bravado and channeling it into action. If you want someone to unhesitatingly put their life on the line for this expedition, he's the perfect person for the job. His confidence can sometimes resemble charisma, but it can equally resemble arrogance; a little of him goes a long way. He has good intentions, but he could use someone to direct his energy towards the guild's best interests.

Liana the Survivalist by jimmydalad

Liana grew up the youngest of three siblings, all of whom were brought up to hunt by her father in the woods nearby her village. As not only the youngest, but also the only girl of the three, she was constantly teased by her brothers and forced to compete in archery matches with them, which she often lost due to their experience in comparison to her. This led her to develop a desire to “prove herself” to them, spending more time honing her skills with a bow and learning about wildlife and nature in order to further improve her hunting abilities. Her skills with the bow never reached the level of her brothers. However, when she tried to show off how her knowledge of wildlife covered for her self-perceived lack of skill with the bow, her brothers blew her off and argued that the most important skill that the survivalist needs is bow proficiency. Frustrated, she tried to think of a way to demonstrate to them that they were being idiots and that her knowledge made her a better survivalist. Learning about Etria, she set off to search for the treasure and to show to her brothers that she is better than them in a way they couldn’t dismiss.

She is very strict with herself, often criticising any mistake that she makes for long periods of time and asking advice from those she feels like she could glean useful knowledge from. She also uses her knowledge to come up with complicated schemes for every encounter, trying to find the best way to exploit their weaknesses and micromanaging everyone’s actions to ensure what she believes is the fastest way to defeat and enemy. This has led her to being very terse, impatient and confrontational with those who rush headfirst and ruin any plan she may be trying to come up with. Though she is by no means bad with a bow, the years of bullying she faced from her brothers leads her to not being confident with her bow skills and she can freeze up if she feels out of her depth or is put in a situation she finds highly uncomfortable. Normally, this happens when she’s not given time to plan against FOEs or very dangerous monsters.

Simone the DH by RickVoid
Look, back home our village had a monster problem, okay? And it's not like we had a foundry set up or anything, our blacksmith was barely competent enough to put out usable pitchforks and horseshoes. On a good day. And what do a bunch of farmers know about armor? Listen, when the undead are at your door and somebody sees someone else's half-hidden magazine that depicts a, um, very fit young lady wearing some very... interesting leather armor and carrying a perfectly functional weapon, all of which we could make ourselves... WE DID WHAT WE HAD TO DO TO SURVIVE, OKAY?

Ryu the Alchemist by BrightWing
Ryu is the youngest son of a wealthy merchant family from the east. His eldest brother was well on his way to taking over the family business and his other brother, the middle child, galavanted off to some coastal city in the south where he was making a name for himself as a knight, leaving Ryu lots of time to read his books, dabble in a bit of alchemy on the side, and sigh dreamily watching the big muscular warehouse workers he was supposed to be managing. He was bored out of his mind. Knowing you're the leftovers of the family and in search of some way to prove your worth something tends to lead to terrible decisions, like signing up at the adventures guild instead of making deliveries.

Karin the Medic by Sel Nar
An experimenter at heart, Karin's spent most of her years traveling from city to city, pondering the big questions such as 'can bones be permanently reinforced with metal to make sturdier farmers', or 'what organ, when poked, makes the funniest gurgling noise?'. Which has caused her to be run out of towns more than once, because little things like 'informed consent' or 'hippocratic suggestion' never crossed her mental landscape. Always on the lookout for new subjects to experiment with, and new injuries to examine before patching them up, the call of a new guild for something exceptionally dangerous has her practically salivating at the opportunities.

Also, she wants to see if 'Meat Shield' can be taken as a literal term.

Wagner the Troub by Cattail Prophet
Wagner was once part of a renowned musical troupe, known throughout the region. People would flock from miles around to hear them play in taverns. A few years back, though, a mysterious incident caused the group to break up. Wagner doesn't like to talk about it. He tried to strike out on his own afterwards, but it turned out he didn't have the raw talent to cut it as a solo artist. Fortunately for Wagner, though, in the labyrinth it doesn't matter how good your music is. A mediocre song gets the job done just as well as an awe inspiring serenade. Can this washed up has-been make a new name for himself, with a new kind of team backing him up?

Aryll the Ronin by Crystalgate
Arryl is the sixth daughter of a nobleman with way too many children. Having five older sisters, she was considered fairly unimportant and mostly left to her own devices. After reading about the samurai, Arryl became absolutely fascinated by them. She would spend her considerable free time training with a Katana and researching the samurai, the bushido and everything else related to them. Of course, research meant reading various romanticizing fictions of the samurai. Why would she bother with more historical work that portrayed them as professional combat pragmatists who would prefer a bow and a pole-arm over a sword and gladly stab an enemy in the back, overall doing what it takes to bring victory for their lord? Surely that can't be right as a true warrior would prefer a sword and never accept any dishonorable advantage (any advantage other than superior skill) over an opponent in a fight!

Eventually, her father announced that she was to be married to some nobleman belonging to a family who's alliance he considered unimportant, but still advantageous. Arryl took that as her cue to run away and begin her life as a Ronin, a master-less samurai. To her advantage, she is actually very talented with a sword. To her disadvantage, her complete lack of combat pragmatism makes her combat style unintentionally suicidal.

Cheese the Hexer by Kvx87
An abandoned child of ambiguous gender, raised in the wilds of a distant Labyrinth by the most evil of all monsters: squirrels. Having mastered the evil squirrel skills of hexing, stealing warp wires, and dying to elemental damage, they now seek to bring the entire world under the dominion of squirrelkind, starting by infiltrating a novice explorer's guild in order to scout a newly found Labyrinth for potential rodent allies.

Luckily for everyone else, they kind of suck at their job.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 26, 2018

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I was toying with the idea of LP'ing EO1 all the way back to a few months after I started EO2U, but every time I was dissuaded by all of the stupid player-unfriendly mechanics. I'm glad someone's finally saving me the effort.

Also, I will reiterate:

Crosspeice posted:

Make gay characters. Make trans characters. Make all kinds of characters, but especially the ones I already said. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Well, if we're documenting a Yggdrasil, clearly this is an Edda
(guild name submission if that's not clear—hopefully this wasn't already used by one of the other lps lol)

Character submission coming later hopefully, will prob be in the discord instead of here though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That is good to mention, fret not lurkers, while I crave thread replies first thing in the morning, you are perfectly free to submit and discuss character submissions and this game in general in the super mega Etrian Odyssey Discord!

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I have heard good things about this game series. I shall join and see what happens.

Thadius
Alchemist, portrait 2.

He is quite curious about the local flora and fauna in this dungeon. After all, a whole new place springing up and consuming adventurers must have its own vast ecosystem within it. Oh, and he doesn't see his 'spells' as magic. More like 'Highly advanced science'.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Ah, EO1. It's... An experience, really. Here's hoping you sign up a good crew! And I'm gonna give a guild name vote for Midnight. But if you wanna ignore my idea for giving the guild name for Rea's/Ragnar's LP of EOU, go ahead. I'm cool with it.

...Oh, and I feel like doing a character here this time, because sometimes it's good to shake up where you post stuff.

Name: Esdriel
Medic, Portrait 4

"...Oh, me? I just want to make sure my friends are alright! That's what I'm supposed to do, isn't it?"

Esdriel is a bit nervous about entering the labyrinth for the first time, and her tendency to almost literally jump at a good portion of surprises probably doesn't help that, but she definitely has the drive to work through it with the power of friendship! At least, she hopes it's friendship. Healing these people and helping them not die counts as friendship, right? Right? Right?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Ah, EO1. It's... It's definitely a game. I would not want to go back to it after playing the later games, even if it was the game that got me into the series.

Jestak
Troubadour 4 :sax:

A man of moderate wealth and a distinct lack of taste (or, as he prefers to think of it, a unique sense of style), Jestak has only sheer dumb luck to thank for not being thrown to the Labyrinth's hell-deer for his horrific fashion choices and downright grating ego (he's not outright smug about it, which is the worst part; he thinks he's better than you, but also thinks that helping people reach second-best is his duty as The Best and he never shuts up about it). His unique singing style doesn't help; while his growl has a few fans, it's highly polarizing and as many if not more hate it. Which is why he is, once again, on the search for another guild to join. He can't fund his terrible fashion nightmareslavish lifestyle with bar tips alone, darling!

tl;dr arrogant metal vocalist with no fashion sense.

Also, I think Edda is a cute joke and a good name.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Firstly, Dr. Fetus will be joining as a co-commentator, so be a dear and read the first part again, he knows his stuff!

Also, just because there's two portraits for each gender, doesn't mean they have to be of that gender if you'd prefer and might want to catch my interest. I only caught on the idea with Like Clockwork's submission maybe choosing the wrong portrait? :v In any case, I'm happy to write about any long haired guys, or tomboy girls of anything inbetween if you like that idea.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Just to clarify, is it first-comes-first-serves for character submissions, or does it not matter?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Hi, I helped out with a lot of the setup for this LP. And since Ragnar asked to join in, I thought "why not do so myself" after further discussion with Crosspeice about Ronin.

Crosspeice posted:

Firstly, Dr. Fetus will be joining as a co-commentator, so be a dear and read the first part again, he knows his stuff!

Also, just because there's two portraits for each gender, doesn't mean they have to be of that gender if you'd prefer and might want to catch my interest. I only caught on the idea with Like Clockwork's submission maybe choosing the wrong portrait? :v In any case, I'm happy to write about any long haired guys, or tomboy girls of anything inbetween if you like that idea.

The official word on that front from the devs is that none of the portraits have any assigned genders. They're whatever the player wants them to be. (And if you're wondering about Prince/ss in EO3, well they got changed to Sovereign in the localizations for their future appearances, and in the Japanese version of EON, it actually asks you if you want that character to be referred to as a Prince or a Princess before you choose the portrait.)

LiefKatano posted:

Just to clarify, is it first-comes-first-serves for character submissions, or does it not matter?

Crosspeice will choose. That model had... issues and kind of placed a weird chokehold on the EO2 LP, so the EO3 LP went with choosing the submissions instead since it allowed for more flexibility, and that's what all future EO LPs went with. (Only Crosspeice has a say in that matter for this one.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 22, 2018

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

i know what i'm about, son

(Joking aside, I deliberately chose a feminine portrait for Jestak. Mostly because troub4 what is going on with your color scheme.)

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

:arghfist: Another attempt to avoid doing a Shuffle LP? You'll cave at one point.

Jokes aside, for the guild name, I second Edda. As for a character:

Name Snorri
Survivalist, portrait 1

A historical scholar by trade, Snorri would simply read over multiple historical accounts to compose single texts on those historical events. He eventuality started to grow bored of this, so when a friend of his invited him on a journey into a rain forest to study the wildlife of the region, he immediately agreed. To his shock, he saw an insect that, according to his records, should live nowhere near that area. This instilled in him the idea that he should be going out into the world to learn about the history he was writing down, instead of just reading accounts that others had given. Using the skills he had learned during his trip, he became a survivalist in order to be ready for anything that would happen in his journeys.He readied his equipment (including a scarf to cover his mouth so that nothing would fly into it. again.) and set off for Etria, realizing that there could be all sorts of new information about the world hidden in the labyrinth.

As a scholar by heart, he often asks people a lot of questions, to some people's annoyance. Of course, he is always willing to share his knowledge, and tries to come off as friendly to everyone he meets, since it is easier to learn when you are as open as can be.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like the idea of being Guild Edda, too.

As for a character submission:

Edmund "Grimnir" Legehardt
Alchemist, portrait 1

A young man whose ruby eyes blaze with destiny, the alchemist who insists on being known as Grimnir has a deep, dark secret - within him is sealed the power of The Banished God Who Slumbers Yet, Ahzu Fal. But strange movements have been seen within the stars, and it may be time to loose the seal on the god's power once more, to combat the menace that threatens to devour the town...

Regardless of whether any of the above is actually true, Ed- er, sorry, Grimnir certainly seems to think it is, leaving the question of why the son of one of Etria's foremost greengrocers would wield the power of a fallen god to people of a more, uh, academic persuasion. He prefers to pursue more interesting quandaries, like whether light can honestly be said banish the darkness within, what can be said to be the measure of a man's worth, and what truly happens when you stand on the edge of the crater. His other hobbies include cooking the dark ritual of sustenance, herbalism herbalism, and finding the Chosen Warrior of Light that can soothe his tortured soul. He'd probably have more luck with the latter if he didn't immediately announce that any guy he was interested in was the Chosen One, something which has, on occasion, caused some confusion in a town playing host to numerous would-be adventurers.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Name: Ruby
Hexer, 3
An infamous writer hailing from Lagaard, Ruby has won the best book award three years running. Unfortunately, she's run out of material for her books, and has retreated to a quiet place in a far-off land to meditate and try to write something before her deadline.

Thankfully(?), the rush of adventurers turned the sleepy town of Etria into a sudden boom town, and literally no one was stopping to read a novel. While she was happy to have a sudden extension to her deadline (indefinitely, since her publisher apparently decided to run in and she hadn't heard from him since), Ruby was hard-pressed to not admit that she wanted in on the romance of the Etrian Odyssey. So she spent a little bit of her time learning some of the basics of basic magic (that’s why her hexes kinda suck) readied her pen and notepad, and decided to join everyone else in the adventures.

To be honest, she really doesn't want to write more, so this is also a really good diversion for her. But, hey, she figured that if she got out of all this alive, she'd get easily enough material to last her another few years of writing, right? So she’s been writing notes for all the people and events that happened in the Labyrinth. Tends to brainstorm and write whatever comes to mind, from character analyses about other people to outright made up stories about a pair of people. She’ll end up overanalyzing the situation sometimes, and she definitely doesn’t want people looking at her notes (not because it’s embarrassing, totally, but because they’re her notes for her books! Really!)

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2018

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Name: Truman
Medic, portrait 1

About a step away from outright being a mad scientist, Truman cares as much about throwing stuff to the wall and seeing what sticks as much as actually helping people. Which is, at least, a lot. He decided to take a sabbatical from working the hospital and instead explore the Labyrinth to see if he could find any new medicinal ingredients in the Labyrinth. Very passionate about his work, though he isn't really good at the whole "interaction" thing.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Simone
Dark Hunter, 4

Look, back home our village had a monster problem, okay? And it's not like we had a foundry set up or anything, our blacksmith was barely competent enough to put out usable pitchforks and horseshoes. On a good day. And what do a bunch of farmers know about armor? Listen, when the undead are at your door and somebody sees someone else's half-hidden magazine that depicts a, um, very fit young lady wearing some very... interesting leather armor and carrying a perfectly functional weapon, all of which we could make ourselves... WE DID WHAT WE HAD TO DO TO SURVIVE, OKAY?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 22, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'll throw a hat into the ring, sure.

Name: Valdiva
Portrait/Class: Protector 4

An artist and lover of beauty. She seeks inspiration for her next great work, an emotionally moving and dynamic painting that will shake the stale, rotten world of art to its core. The treasure doesn't interest her so much as the passion that drives the others to put their lives on the line for it. Believes she'll be fine, no matter what happens, even if all evidence would suggest otherwise - she focuses on defending others both because of this belief and so that they can shine all the brighter.

Edda is a good guild name.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ryu
Alchemist 2

Ryu is the youngest son of a wealthy merchant family from the east. His eldest brother was well on his way to taking over the family business and his other brother, the middle child, galavanted off to some coastal city in the south where he was making a name for himself as a knight, leaving Ryu lots of time to read his books, dabble in a bit of alchemy on the side, and sigh dreamily watching the big muscular warehouse workers he was supposed to be managing. He was bored out of his mind. Knowing you're the leftovers of the family and in search of some way to prove your worth something tends to lead to terrible decisions, like signing up at the adventures guild instead of making deliveries.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Karin
Medic 2

An experimenter at heart, Karin's spent most of her years traveling from city to city, pondering the big questions such as 'can bones be permanently reinforced with metal to make sturdier farmers', or 'what organ, when poked, makes the funniest gurgling noise?'. Which has caused her to be run out of towns more than once, because little things like 'informed consent' or 'hippocratic suggestion' never crossed her mental landscape. Always on the lookout for new subjects to experiment with, and new injuries to examine before patching them up, the call of a new guild for something exceptionally dangerous has her practically salivating at the opportunities.

Also, she wants to see if 'Meat Shield' can be taken as a literal term.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Richard
Ronin, 4

A single dad living with his young daughter. Richard is a boisterous man who tends to make stuff up to impress people, and boasts even harder about the stuff that's actually true. His wife disappeared in the Labyrinth a year ago (or so he claims), he's since been being the best father he can be while trying to make ends meet. Mostly unsuccessfully on that last part due to varying levels of incompetence at his jobs, but he is absolutely not a deadbeat, okay? This time around he's decided to try his hand at adventuring. He heard it pays well, and becoming a great hero certainly would impress people. Fortunately. his skills with a blade are actually unquestionable. Unfortunately, his survival skills are not. He won't hesitate to charge headlong into danger regardless of the consequences if it could lead to fame or fortune.

It's all for his pride and joy, after all. Also, his manly mustache is his other pride and joy.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Aryll
Ronin, 2

Arryl is the sixth daughter of a nobleman with way too many children. Having five older sisters, she was considered fairly unimportant and mostly left to her own devices. After reading about the samurai, Arryl became absolutely fascinated by them. She would spend her considerable free time training with a Katana and researching the samurai, the bushido and everything else related to them. Of course, research meant reading various romanticizing fictions of the samurai. Why would she bother with more historical work that portrayed them as professional combat pragmatists who would prefer a bow and a pole-arm over a sword and gladly stab an enemy in the back, overall doing what it takes to bring victory for their lord? Surely that can't be right as a true warrior would prefer a sword and never accept any dishonorable advantage (any advantage other than superior skill) over an opponent in a fight!

Eventually, her father announced that she was to be married to some nobleman belonging to a family who's alliance he considered unimportant, but still advantageous. Arryl took that as her cue to run away and begin her life as a Ronin, a master-less samurai. To her advantage, she is actually very talented with a sword. To her disadvantage, her complete lack of combat pragmatism makes her combat style unintentionally suicidal.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 22, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Gerson
Protector 3

An audacious blacksmith of little renown but great ambition, he sees the labyrinth as a chance to prove that he can forge better armor and weapons than anyone else in the country. And since someone else might screw it up, he naturally dons his goods and heads into Yggdrasil himself, confident that he can swing his sword just as well as he can hammer it. Gerson is fearless and cocksure; if he does indeed experience fear, then he is convincing at masking it with bravado and channeling it into action. If you want someone to unhesitatingly put their life on the line for this expedition, he's the perfect person for the job. His confidence can sometimes resemble charisma, but it can equally resemble arrogance; a little of him goes a long way. He has good intentions, but he could use someone to direct his energy towards the guild's best interests.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Malcom
Hexer 3

Malcom is just an ordinary, happy-go-lucky guy living in Etria...except, for some reason, everyone around him always feels a slight twinge of nausea. The effect is amplified dramatically for monsters, leading to him being in somewhat high demand for adventuring groups, but he's blissfully unaware of his own abilities. The source of his strange powers is unknown, but the more psychically-inclined have reported a strange, other presence following him around...

He wouldn't normally go into the Yggdrasil Labyrinth, but was recently persuaded by a friend into accepting a guild's invitation. Nevertheless, he has high hopes for this upcoming adventure.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 22, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

John
Landwhatever, 3

A man obsessed with standing out. While he's a good person, he's a bit too...simple, for his taste. The kind that lives up to the Ryu from Streets video. The kind that likes bread, drinking water, and basically living a pretty standard life, He's fully aware of it, of how normal he is, and hates it. To stand out, he decided to go down the path of a Landsknecht, because with that kind of name it had to be something unique!...only to then realize he had chosen the most normal class around. But fine, too late to go back. He'd prove himself an unique individual of this society by conquering the Yggdrasil Dungeon!...not realizing a lot of people were doing the same already. All of this leads to a person that, in any normal circumstance, could easily fade into the background, but in any "special" moment will try to get as much attention as he can...and probably, utterly fail. But hey, that alone is special, isn't it? ...Isn't it?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hektor
The Protector, portrait 3

A young, wide-eyed young man who recently came from his family farm to the big city to be an explorer and help people. He grew up on old tales his grandfather told him. Brave heroes striking down evil monsters! Slaying ancient dragons and plundering the treasure! Action! Romance! Adventure! So one day, after months of planning and saving, he took up his grandfather's shield and head to Etria, the hub of adventure! No more defending the farm from boring rats, or gathering herbs for chump change, he was ready to fight demons and become a hero! Yet upon arriving in Etria, he quickly realizes the dream isn't all its cracked up to be. He soon finds himself doing the exact same thing he did back at the farm, gathering and mining for cash to live on while slaying the occasional rats and butterflies. When a new guild starts hiring, he jumps at whatever chance he can get to escape his humdrum life, but for real this time. Hopefully. Will the mind-numbing tedium of farming rat pelts break him? Or will he rise above and learn what it means to be a true hero?

Despite his eagerness, Hektor is a really nice guy. Though he loathes the more menial aspects of being an adventurer and they conflict with his more romantic views, he's still a good kid and can't bring himself to say no to any quest. No matter how awful or dull it might be. His world view on what an adventurer should be is tested sorely throughout the adventure through the labyrinth. Growing up on a secluded farm means he gets a bit lost in the big city, and interacting with more bombastic personalities leaves him floundering. But his heart is in the right place, and he's determined to become a hero, save the day, kill the monsters, and maybe get a kiss from a dashing prince along the way.

Arcade Rabbit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 25, 2018

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Rivka
The Alchemist (Portrait 2)

Rivka is an Alchemist, but don't tell her that, or you'll get an hour long lecture about the Kabbalah. Slaying monsters is just another mitzvah for her, and schlepping about Yggdrasil will be no different, because the Zohar is so much cooler when deriving the TRUE NAMES OF G-D can set your enemies on fire. As an orthodox Jew, don't try to feed her pork. And you'd better put on an extra sweater, and call your mother for goodness sake, she worries.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Lavin
Landsknecht #3

Lavin used to be part of Etria's militia troops until the call to adventure went out. He did wait some time to see what the fuss was all about before finally ditching the safe-ish, steady work under the Radha. Now the impressionable young man is eagerly looking for a Guild to sign up with. He's eager, a bit inexperienced in life (if not battle), but stubborn as all hell, and willing to keep going at a problem until it's not there any more. His slight build belies the strength he can bring to bear. Magic gives Lavin the crawlies though, because that stuff's just so weird. He much prefers hacking and slashing to this mysticism stuff that some people use. Throwing fire can't be healthy for you in the long run. Can it?

mutableMimic
Jul 4, 2013

Sure, I'll give this a shot for once.

Odessa
Troubadour #1

A young woman who traveled to Etria in hopes that its labyrinth would finally deliver unto her a muse. Or, you know, a simple musician with slight delusions of grandeur and a penchant for stretching the truth ever so slightly. So what if she's never actually faced down a Ragelope herself or serenaded the King of High Lagaard (they do use a king, right?); it makes for a good story!

In truth, she just wants to tackle Yggdrasil for the fame and fortune and actually having a real tale to tell for once. Entertaining(?) her guildmates counts as a bonus. And hey, maybe that'll all culminate in finding a wife. That totally makes the muse thing sound more legit, at least in her mind.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Started reading your Colosseum LP and it kindled a fire in me to replay that, but I'm a bit busy with dq11 right now so I'm holding off, so I'm technically caught up and will follow this. I was so sure I was gonna catch up with gen 4, but you threw me for a loop. There go my preplanned rants.

Can't wait to see what you can do with a narrative. If it works out well maybe we'll see a tiny bit in the pokemon lps. Time to start reading this.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I most likely won't be putting narrative stuff into Pokemon, it works much better for a game like this with multiple blank slate characters.

Seems like the guild name will be Edda, but there's still two days, so plenty of time for something else to come round.

Since it has been (about) two days, let's tally up what's been submitted, shall we? You still have plenty of time to send something in, I won't make any decisions until after the deadline. Everyone's submission is looking good, though your need to pick a portrait, Arcade Rabbit!

Landy, 2 subs, Blaze Dragon, Lynneth.

Protector, 3 subs, AweStriker, ajkalan, Arcade Rabbit

Survivalist, 1 sub, BlazeEmblem

Dark Hunter, 1 sub, RickVoid

Alchemist, 4 subs, Thadius, Leraika, BrightWing, lunnaris

Medic, 3 subs, Toyotasomi no Miko, LiefKatano, Sel Nar

Troubadour, 2 subs, Like Clockwork, mutable Mimic

Ronin, 2 subs, SirSystemError, Crystalgate

Hexer, 2 subs, Black Persona, Epicmissingno

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

I most likely won't be putting narrative stuff into Pokemon, it works much better for a game like this with multiple blank slate characters.

I was thinking maybe giving a pokemon or two a personality trait, or letting the player eat food for once to end the joke at most tbh.

Also the guild should be The Bracer Guild.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Rixxza
Dark Hunter #2

Rixxa hails from the south of the former "United States" from a place called "Texas" with the requisite southern drawl, though not a lot of people seem to know too much about it. Rixxa was raised what most could be called "Right", she has an unusually sunny disposition contrary to the normal "Dark Hunter" archetype. She is kind, polite and, most importantly, a go getter who will do her best to keep people's spirits high. Well...she will at least TRY to. The unfortunate truth to her, is she is unfortunately cursed with a separate personality contrary to her sunny disposition. Give her a weapon or a monster to fight, and she...suddenly shifts to being cold, aloof and down right cruel to anything that she doesn't see as an ally, seemingly...getting an insane amount of pleasure to what she fights. It was never explained why this happens or how, some think she bumped her head early in her life too hard during a harvest and it jarred something loose. It is pretty recent, a good few years ago this came to the forefront. She crossed far and wide to make it to Etria in an attempt to perhaps figure out why this is, or at the very least, give her "talents" to a new forming guild. She herself is inexperienced in the art of combat, but whenever her "other self" comes to the forefront, she knows all she needs to know to give new meaning to the term "pain and suffering".

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

MythosDragon posted:

Also the guild should be The Bracer Guild.

This

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

quote:

Woah woah, hold on there. Before you beeline for this skill immediately, you should know that [the 130% applies] to the overall experience at the end of the battle, which is then divided by 5 to give to a full party, so everyone gets 6% extra.

6% of the total experience, maybe, but compared to what everyone would be getting individually without the skill, it's still a full 30% increase.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Liana
Survivalist #2

Liana grew up the youngest of three siblings, all of whom were brought up to hunt by her father in the woods nearby her village. As not only the youngest, but also the only girl of the three, she was constantly teased by her brothers and forced to compete in archery matches with them, which she often lost due to their experience in comparison to her. This led her to develop a desire to “prove herself” to them, spending more time honing her skills with a bow and learning about wildlife and nature in order to further improve her hunting abilities. Her skills with the bow never reached the level of her brothers. However, when she tried to show off how her knowledge of wildlife covered for her self-perceived lack of skill with the bow, her brothers blew her off and argued that the most important skill that the survivalist needs is bow proficiency. Frustrated, she tried to think of a way to demonstrate to them that they were being idiots and that her knowledge made her a better survivalist. Learning about Etria, she set off to search for the treasure and to show to her brothers that she is better than them in a way they couldn’t dismiss.

She is very strict with herself, often criticising any mistake that she makes for long periods of time and asking advice from those she feels like she could glean useful knowledge from. She also uses her knowledge to come up with complicated schemes for every encounter, trying to find the best way to exploit their weaknesses and micromanaging everyone’s actions to ensure what she believes is the fastest way to defeat and enemy. This has led her to being very terse, impatient and confrontational with those who rush headfirst and ruin any plan she may be trying to come up with. Though she is by no means bad with a bow, the years of bullying she faced from her brothers leads her to not being confident with her bow skills and she can freeze up if she feels out of her depth or is put in a situation she finds highly uncomfortable. Normally, this happens when she’s not given time to plan against FOEs or very dangerous monsters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evelyn
Medic 4

Evelyn grew up an orphan, raised at a charitable orphanage operated by a sect of gentle medics and charity workers. While she enjoyed the medical training provided by her caretakers, she wasn't as fond of the extreme pacifism; this is a world with random encounters. Her lack of facility with violence is more a matter of spending years and years training as a doctor rather than a philosophical objection, and so to pay her caretakers back for raising her as a child she's set off to sell her skills in the world of adventure and labyrinth mapping, sending a portion of her earnings back to support the orphanage. Everyone needs a good medic, after all, and raised by gentle pacifists or no, she's been around blood and surgery her whole life; she's hardly squeamish about danger. She comes into things with a good head on her shoulders and an inborn, almost religious sense of triage from her upbringing; a small orphanage-hospital with few resources and no way to dip into the vast financial well of adventuring has to decide what it can do and what it can't.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cheese
Hexer 2

An abandoned child of ambiguous gender, raised in the wilds of a distant Labyrinth by the most evil of all monsters: squirrels. Having mastered the evil squirrel skills of hexing, stealing warp wires, and dying to elemental damage, they now seek to bring the entire world under the dominion of squirrelkind, starting by infiltrating a novice explorer's guild in order to scout a newly found Labyrinth for potential rodent allies.

Luckily for everyone else, they kind of suck at their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RegalStar posted:

6% of the total experience, maybe, but compared to what everyone would be getting individually without the skill, it's still a full 30% increase.

That also makes the math wrong for a 4-troubador 1-trainee party. In that case it's 185.6% more, almost triple. Of course then you're restricted to monsters you can kill with four troubadors... which you'd have to level up too...