Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

oooooooooooh!

So I can pay to twink myself?

Well, not for the character you level up. That character is going to become untwinked as they gain X number of levels and all of a sudden have truly awful gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Yeah, and if your account is old enough (several years?) you get some for free. There are 4 of them and they take you to 60, 100, 150, and 200 (each with a level requirement equal to where the previous juice left you)

How does that work? My account is as old as they get. I'll go see if I can find this.

Ah yes, in the store under "Claim Items"

Floob fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 29, 2021

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, and if your account is old enough (several years?) you get some for free. There are 4 of them and they take you to 60, 100, 150, and 200 (each with a level requirement equal to where the previous juice left you)

Huh? What is this you're talking about?

edit: Tried to login on my froob account to claim this and it tells me "Account is not paid for or blocked" not paid for, of course it's a froob account... blocked... why?

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 30, 2021

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Huh? What is this you're talking about?

I too am interested in free heckler juice. Two of my accounts are from beta.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Trip report:

This is slightly misleading, as it appears to be based off of :siren:how long you were subscribed since some unknown point in the past after 2015??? :siren:. Not taking into account my subscriptions from 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2015, because why would it count those? I can only get the very first 30 days basic rewards and not heckler juice which require 360 days?

Edit: Also through the rewards thing you can only get the :siren:level 60 and 100 ones:siren:, which again as mentioned require 360 days of subscription at some point after 2015 it appears.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 30, 2021

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

ModeSix posted:

Trip report:

This is slightly misleading, as it appears to be based off of :siren:how long you were subscribed since some unknown point in the past after 2015??? :siren:. Not taking into account my subscriptions from 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2015, because why would it count those? I can only get the very first 30 days basic rewards and not heckler juice which require 360 days?

Edit: Also through the rewards thing you can only get the :siren:level 60 and 100 ones:siren:, which again as mentioned require 360 days of subscription at some point after 2015 it appears.

AHHH SORRY. In my defense though, I don’t know anything about anything.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I got to feeling all nostalgic and am playing this dumb game again.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Anybody left in GoonCorp? Holy cow the game has changed...

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 1, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gearhead posted:

Anybody left in GoonCorp? Holy cow the game has changed...

One of my old accounts has a toon there but no, it’s completely dead

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

mfcrocker posted:

One of my old accounts has a toon there but no, it’s completely dead

Maybe I'll just hook into one of the big open recruitment megaguilds or something.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gearhead posted:

Maybe I'll just hook into one of the big open recruitment megaguilds or something.

Honestly that’s what I did. Omni-side Wayland Yutani is fine if a little chuddy in places, Clan-side Athen Paladins are lovely

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
The state of the game is pretty sad honestly. On the remaining "legacy" server, if you can even call it that at this point, OT is in ruin. It's not often you'll even see a player if you go to Omni 1. Most of them hang about in Borealis now. Old Athens is still fairly busy, but only because it's where you can travel easy and grab your daily quests.

I stopped playing on the 2019 server when it just didn't seem to catch on, but I do need to go check it out again.

I don't play nearly as often as I used to, but my play time always goes up in the winter as I get driven inside. I usually log on around the special occasions and farm social item's, and I have a few characters in levels able to make the most out of the capped dungeons. I'm the President of Whisper's Edge on the Clan side, but I've held that org alone now for years. Name in game is Swiftwing.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Who just ran by me in GoonCorp?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there anyone still playing on the normal Rubi-Ka server? I could use help playing. :P I made a fixer that is level 12, but am really confused by implants, and NCU's. I don't know how to pick them and find what I can equip.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

Is there anyone still playing on the normal Rubi-Ka server? I could use help playing. :P I made a fixer that is level 12, but am really confused by implants, and NCU's. I don't know how to pick them and find what I can equip.

Oh gosh there is a lot of minmaxing involved and you’d think since I have a 20 year old fixer I’d have some great advice but...

Uhhhhhh...

I don’t think it really matters until you decide if you want to grind Grid Armor or not...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I don’t think it really matters until you decide if you want to grind Grid Armor or not...

You don’t.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Kalman posted:

You don’t.

I swear I’ll get GA2 one day (my AO character is old enough to legally drink)...

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Join an ancient clan and someone will give you grind armor.

e: I meant grid armor but you know what that typo stays.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I swear I’ll get GA2 one day (my AO character is old enough to legally drink)...

My fixer is too, and has GA2/3, and I never use them anymore. (Admittedly they’re 220/nanodeck so SWS XI and all that.). Should probably just reset MC.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I wish I could find my old notes on finding grid armor. I had a method that absolutely worked, but was still a bit time consuming. I actually found ga 1 through 4 for myself, my wife's fixer and farmed 5 or so ga 4 disks for selling. The high level I remember was very specific character level so the reward would match the disk ID and the very spe ific sliders to get all cyborg missions. Then you looted all the crates and blitzed the rest of the mission to hope it dropped in the final room chest. It took a lot of setup to get the char level perfect but it was insanely effective. I made a lot of credits this way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oh gosh there is a lot of minmaxing involved and you’d think since I have a 20 year old fixer I’d have some great advice but...

Uhhhhhh...

Anything for basic advice that is good enough to get by to level 200? This game is so confusing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I said come in! posted:

Anything for basic advice that is good enough to get by to level 200? This game is so confusing.

If your interest is just to get to 200, just buy profession implants from Fair Trade every so often according to your abilities/treatment skill (remembering that the implant installation machine gives you +100 treatment, and that you can easily get a medsuit as omni/neutral or roll it as clan for +78). In the same way, your NCU will just depend on what your computer literacy is at.

At a basic level this game is pretty simple - the real complexity (and the real fun for me) is knowing what buffs/items buff which stats and laddering them into getting some truly busted poo poo on for your level.

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
I wish Funcom made it F2P with SL (the level design of Elysium is beautiful) or some nerds manage to launch a working PGS.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DrZepam posted:

I wish Funcom made it F2P with SL (the level design of Elysium is beautiful) or some nerds manage to launch a working PGS.

For real, paying €17/mo is a joke

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

they are huge assholes for not doing anything with that game time mechanism in 21 years

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

If your interest is just to get to 200, just buy profession implants from Fair Trade every so often according to your abilities/treatment skill (remembering that the implant installation machine gives you +100 treatment, and that you can easily get a medsuit as omni/neutral or roll it as clan for +78). In the same way, your NCU will just depend on what your computer literacy is at.

At a basic level this game is pretty simple - the real complexity (and the real fun for me) is knowing what buffs/items buff which stats and laddering them into getting some truly busted poo poo on for your level.

I think I need friends who are still playing that I can meet up with and show me around. I have a room tempt IQ, but am trying my best to read up on stuff at AO Universe, and just tackle one thing at a time. Right now my goal has been to get to level 25 in the Subway.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

mfcrocker posted:

One of my favorite things was pushing my trader as far as possible on his implants at level 15 or something. Just laddering up to higher level skill drains, quickly putting in better implants, then higher drains etc. I think the only limiting factor was that I just couldn’t source some of the skill drains at a higher level cause they were rewards or drops or something and I was relatively poor

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tabletops posted:

One of my favorite things was pushing my trader as far as possible on his implants at level 15 or something. Just laddering up to higher level skill drains, quickly putting in better implants, then higher drains etc. I think the only limiting factor was that I just couldn’t source some of the skill drains at a higher level cause they were rewards or drops or something and I was relatively poor

Oh yeah, I absolutely love that poo poo and Trader is the most broken at the lowest levels

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It was all just for pvp in the arena at Omni 1. Cause it was mostly low levels (and I was way too adhd at 12 or whatever to focus on something like leveling) and I remember getting absolutely destroyed on my fixer who was around 19/20ish by a lower level trader in a duel and being like… you can do that, that’s a thing?

And it became my mission. Was really fun dominating pvp with a shotgun and a dream.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol this game was so amazing to me when it came out / subsequent next couple of years

Not a single game has ever really come close. I still log into my lvl 200 froob doc occasionally 😎

Sadly the froob population died so bad you basically can't play, afaik. I don't mind spending money I just really enjoy the froob / base game lmao.

Maybe I'll log in again soon. I'd play this game again with a group that was active if we wanted to lvl noobs or something.

I think I have about 35 different froob accounts and about 10 are 199/200 with the rest strategically placed at different levels for leveling help.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Worf posted:

I think I have about 35 different froob accounts and about 10 are 199/200 with the rest strategically placed at different levels for leveling help.

I could use leveling help! :P

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It looks like they deleted my froob account from nearly 20 years ago, which is understandable, but I like to think that when I create an account on an MMO, it'll be there for as long as the MMO itself hasn't shut down, so I wouldn't want to try it again. Back then, my fps would drop to 5fps in the busiest areas like the area near the vendor hub of the tutorial island, but I was playing through it anyway. It had a great soundtrack

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

galenanorth posted:

It looks like they deleted my froob account from nearly 20 years ago, which is understandable, but I like to think that when I create an account on an MMO, it'll be there for as long as the MMO itself hasn't shut down, so I wouldn't want to try it again. Back then, my fps would drop to 5fps in the busiest areas like the area near the vendor hub of the tutorial island, but I was playing through it anyway. It had a great soundtrack

You can probably reactivate it, there's a process where you log in and click a button to do so

Or at least there was the last time I tried it having a similar situation, pretty much every time I log in I have to do that lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah they don't seem to delete accounts, just make them inactive, also happened to me several times.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

galenanorth posted:

Just to echo: you should be able to reactivate the account with a button push on the website. Just log in and go to subscriptions and reactivate for Froob status!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I was able to log into even my oldest account, but it still looks like all my characters were deleted

edit: I tried seeing if they'd appear when I installed the client and logged in, but it crashes when I click "Play". I might wait to try it again up to when I retire, just in case the expansions become free.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 3, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Try emailing support. Though it's been a while so maybe it is how the reactivation thing looks like? Still worth checking with support.

There is an official discord server for the game where you might be able to get help as well, they helped me when I had some issue a while back: https://discord.gg/anarchyonline

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I just wanted to say that Anarchy Online is still a good game.

Thank you for listening.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Someone give me or help me grind more grid armor for my idiot fixer.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I have a lot of fond memories of this game, mostly from playing with a good group of friends and meeting some online ones too, one that is still a good buddy of mine. I had a bunch of nostalgia stuff I thought about typing up, but it would be quite a bit, maybe another time. I've got stories, hah.

Anyhow, I remember making a free account after I had stopped playing for some reason I don't remember a long time ago and gave up after out leveling my gear to the point that I was running grey missions just to try to get credits or a drop or something to get a weapon or more credits to run green missions and gave up. It was definitely easier and more fun playing with friends, trying to buff into gear without a support network was near impossible in comparison. Is this still the case?

Also, could I renew an account that had characters beyond level 200 on the free to play program and still play those characters outside of Shadowlands and Alien stuff or whatever? Or play some of my decked-out sub 200 characters on that account despite having a few over 200? I'm guessing the answer is no, and chances are those characters were lost to time over a decade ago, and there's probably only like half a dozen people reading this thread, but worth asking!

For fun, cross posting from another thread recently, where someone mentioned that Funcom is making a new game in the Dune universe:

Twenty Four posted:

Funcom is making Anarchy Online 2? Yes, I am joking, sort of.

A couple people got excited or thought it was amusing, and a couple asked what I meant, and I said:

Twenty Four posted:

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet. The Dune trailer was posted in this thread, and the similarities seemed obvious to me. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

I know way more about AO then I do about Dune, and was generalizing for comedic value, but I thought it was funny. :)