Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Works fine, I'm using clicksaver 2.4 for mission pulling

im the guy who originally wrote clicksaver like 15 years ago and lmao that you still need to use that unwieldy poo poo to get a mission worth your time

I had a stint as a programmer at funcom during age of conan's development and they told me fun stories about clicksaver, like how one programmer on the ao team was hellbent on breaking it and did overtime and stuff. ("Have you told him it's you who made it? Well then don't")

also they told me that they once had planned to revamp the ao mission ui but decided not to bother because clicksaver existed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lol thanks bro you made me millions of creds as a fixer

Actually (100% unironically) learned some pretty good business practices hunting things for people in AO as a fix

Now I'm doing the same thing irl haha

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zlodo posted:

im the guy who originally wrote clicksaver like 15 years ago and lmao that you still need to use that unwieldy poo poo to get a mission worth your time

I had a stint as a programmer at funcom during age of conan's development and they told me fun stories about clicksaver, like how one programmer on the ao team was hellbent on breaking it and did overtime and stuff. ("Have you told him it's you who made it? Well then don't")

also they told me that they once had planned to revamp the ao mission ui but decided not to bother because clicksaver existed :(

Thank u for your service

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am playing it again right now after taking a few weeks to hype myself up for it by reading ao-universe.com stuff. Still a good game, wish I had stuck to it and followed the leveling of the 2019 server.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

ElBrak posted:

I am playing it again right now after taking a few weeks to hype myself up for it by reading ao-universe.com stuff. Still a good game, wish I had stuck to it and followed the leveling of the 2019 server.

meeeeh it wasn't that great, I followed until 100

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Yeah, I tried pretty hard shortly after it launched (maybe a month), and burnt out on the nano-curve and mission rolling. Got to the upper 70s on a MP.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's been forever and a day since I played AO so I am going to jump in to the old server and take a look around. Just for old time's sake.

EDIT:

That was so weird. Although I don't recall the specifics (like best skill distribution, assembling clusters, etc.) the basics all came back to me immediately. I did see one other player!

There was so much good work in AO. So much clever design. It's a shame they were never able to build on it. I can only imagine what almost 20 years of development would look like if they'd kept rolling it over to sequels instead of doing basically nothing.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 25, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would love to see a sequel to Anarchy Online. I really like the gameworld, but AO badly needs modern day gameplay mechanics and quality of life features. The game in its current state is so difficult to play, and extremely hard without a group of friends to play with. It's not solo friendly at all.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I remember way back then when they added the first actual quest in the game (not the randomly generated crap). There was that one npc that gave you the quest that wasnt marked or distinguishable in any way and you triggered the quest by saying specific things to him in chat, in /s.

The npc had a global, shared state to advance through the convo so only one player at a time could do it, if anyone said anything in /s near the npc it would gently caress it up.

It ended up with an immense waiting queue of players stretching all around the outpost where that npc was, waiting in turn to talk with the one quest giver so they could do the only quest in the entire game.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Looks like TenCent is going to buy Funcom.

I wonder if they'll keep AO running, or if they'll pull the plug to divert whatever resources are still assigned to AO to their other projects.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They won’t ax AO

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it would cost more to put out the fire from the loud whiners than to run the game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
They’re making dune a survival game lmao. Dead.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well, it did work with Conan.

Then again that's a bit more survival-themed setting.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
lol AO outlived SA

gentlegoons and troxes :tipshat:

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

ps: lowtax eat my rear end

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fewd posted:

lol AO outlived SA

gentlegoons and troxes :tipshat:

lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

! tbh, thats the first positive spin ive seen on this so far

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i just want to say that if the forums were to burn down, BUT, anarchy online 2 was somehow announced, even spiritually,

it will have been worth it in the end

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Statutory Ape posted:

i just want to say that if the forums were to burn down, BUT, anarchy online 2 was somehow announced, even spiritually,

it will have been worth it in the end

i need to know if my memories are in order before we all leave this place

are you white tree

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i need to know if my memories are in order before we all leave this place

are you white tree

no sorry, hope u find them tho

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was just playing RDR 2, wandering through a forest and heard the rollerrat sound effect! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0UcmAr4_E

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I hear a lot of sounds from Ultima Online in media. The bear, pig, and wolves to be specific. It's always a nice little bit of nostalgia.

Maybe they're in the public domain now, or were just stock sounds to begin with?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
You bastards I thought something new happened with AO

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

ddiddles posted:

You bastards I thought something new happened with AO

It's the 19th anniversary going on with some new content stuff.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
great MMOs are developed with insane goals and a lot of uppers; I really felt like Funcom got that

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

fashionly snort posted:

great MMOs are developed with insane goals and a lot of uppers; I really felt like Funcom got that

anarchy online was pretty good, but the soundtrack was downright amazing

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I still listen to it after all these years. I feel similarly about the EVE score. Excellent evocative music.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm gonna listen to this music now and its going to put me into a different drat headspace lol

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Zlodo posted:

Just chiming in and saying thanks for this amazing contribution to AO!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
It's wild to think how unplayable this game would have been without clicksaver (and I guess mishbuddy). Literally made the game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i learned a lot about business & people by observing people too stupid to use CS and too lazy to go get their own poo poo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:rip:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1291552038455775233?s=20

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Otoh, anarchy online is basically irl now so I guess turn off your monitors

Omni Tek is your friend

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Prime time was already European evenings, guess that'll become the only time to get anything done

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
do you guys still play? I still have to get a prof to 220 lol

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

do you guys still play? I still have to get a prof to 220 lol

I'm playing some before the FF14 patch next week. I should probably get my first 220 too, my MP is 219

(I also found out one of my toons is still in the old goon org)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I kind of want to get a soloist keeper to 220, but otoh crat is so good

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

I kind of want to get a soloist keeper to 220, but otoh crat is so good

Crat is my current project and I've not had so much fun in ages. Especially 1-100 stuff just melts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah short term charms are amazing. Keeper is slow and boring in comparison but you can dual wield which is fun