Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doc M posted:

The Kingpin was first introduced as a Spider-Man villain in The Amazing Spider-Man #50 (the classic "Spider-Man No More!" issue from 1967) and has grappled with the webhead many times over the decades, although he has definitely become more associated with Daredevil and the Punisher in that time. And yeah, his classic costume is white but he's worn different stuff in different stories and depictions.

fake edit: welp, beaten like the Kingpin in the first mission, but whatever. For those of you who demand pictures videos of Spider-Man, I'll get an update out by the end of the weekend unless this big transcription job kills me before that.

Huh. Spidey feels too super-powered for me to really buy Kingpin as a legitimate foe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bodying Spider-Man through walls feels a bit Rhino, but he's not a stranger to fighting Spidey.

Clearly you haven't watched enough classic Spiderman cartoons.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I love his face in that last panel. He clearly paid good money for windows that would do exactly that.

Worth every penny.

Cythereal posted:

Huh. Spidey feels too super-powered for me to really buy Kingpin as a legitimate foe.

Depending on when the comic is from and who is writing it, Spidey's prowess can vary a lot. Some days Fisk seems like too small a foe, and some days...

(Newspaper Spider-Man is in a league of his own, though)

Cool thread, btw.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Newspaper Spider-Man is great. One arc had him fight it out with a clown. Just a normal clown with no superpowers. And he still had a hard time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought you were kidding, but apparently Spider-Man spent four months fighting a non-superpowered clown. :psyduck:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've said it before, but if Insomniac ever decides to implement a super hard difficulty mode with no spider-sense prompts, they should call that mode "Newspaper".

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Doc M posted:

I've said it before, but if Insomniac ever decides to implement a super hard difficulty mode with no spider-sense prompts, they should call that mode "Newspaper".

I was assuming from the "Friendly", "Amazing" and "Spectacular" difficulties that there'd be a Nightmare-level unlockable one called "Superior".

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Or "Ultimate" would be better. I'm sorry, I just disliked the "Superior" Spider-Man storyline so much I would rather it not be acknowledged like that.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Or "Ultimate" would be better. I'm sorry, I just disliked the "Superior" Spider-Man storyline so much I would rather it not be acknowledged like that.

You're right, that is better.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 03: W. Fisk's Totally Legitimate Construction

Well, the Kingpin himself may be in jail, but his construction company still has plenty of locations around Manhattan and that means plenty of Fisk mooks to beat into submission.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 30, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember to link your updates in the OP :)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I've always been terrible at keeping the OP up to date when I'm doing LPs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Eh, Peter's always been crafty. He did invent the webshooters, his spider-tracers, and the Spider-Signal. And as you mentioned Ben Reilly (Peter's clone, who shares his memories up the point of the cloning) invented impact webbing and also stingers (tranquiliser darts that can be shot out of the webshooters). Basically, the main thing getting in the way of Peter being a gadgeteer is lack of opportunity, not talent, since he's usually limited to whatever resources he can scrounge together. In this game, he's not only sharing a lab with Otto, but has his support, so I figure letting him have more tools is suitable.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Eh, Peter's always been crafty. He did invent the webshooters, his spider-tracers, and the Spider-Signal. And as you mentioned Ben Reilly (Peter's clone, who shares his memories up the point of the cloning) invented impact webbing and also stingers (tranquiliser darts that can be shot out of the webshooters). Basically, the main thing getting in the way of Peter being a gadgeteer is lack of opportunity, not talent, since he's usually limited to whatever resources he can scrounge together. In this game, he's not only sharing a lab with Otto, but has his support, so I figure letting him have more tools is suitable.
Fair enough. I have no problem with the gadgets or anything, I'm just not that used to Spidey having as many of them as he does here unless he's working with Stark or something. But yeah, of course he can use Otto's lab and resources here so it makes sense for him to be using all this stuff (even if I tend to mostly stick with the basic webshooters myself). Insomniac's Spider-Man actually showed up in a comic recently, and was shown to be a lot more gadget-oriented than any other version of Spider-Man. I haven't read that Spider-Geddon comic myself, though, but apparently it spoils the game's ending so watch out for that!

I may have also forgotten the spider-tracers and spider-signal existed. :eng99:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 1, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you're talking about Spider-Geddon, there are several mentions to the ending of this game.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Remember even Octavius says Peter is a genius at 'guerrilla science'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Being spider man he really should have poison as well as webbing. Probably not the dissolve-you-from-the-inside-out kind though, more of a paralytic or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think that was Miguel O'Hara's thing. I know he had some kind of spider claws or something.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Lone Badger posted:

Being spider man he really should have poison as well as webbing. Probably not the dissolve-you-from-the-inside-out kind though, more of a paralytic or something.

I think he actually did briefly, during/after The Other.

We don't talk about The Other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Asking as someone only familiar with Spidey from the various movies, is he always this quippy and self-aware? At this rate I'm half-expecting Deadpool to show up.

Also, funny tidbit I found from looking up this game's voice actors - if Spidey and Yuri seem to have some chemistry (I have no idea if this is a thing in the comics or not, just going by how Yuri noticeably didn't turn Peter down for the ball), their English voice actors are married.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he's often like that. Spider-Man even complains to Deadpool in Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe that the latter is ripping off his shtick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In various comics or cartoons it's been a way to throw his foes off their game or a nervous tic to mask how scared he is. Or both. He's a quippy guy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Also Deadpool totally has a chub for Spidey.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Also Deadpool totally has a chub for Spidey.

Deadpool has a chub for everyone, so Spidey shouldn't feel special.

I avoided spoiling myself on what villains are in this game, but Deadpool could be a funny boss fight if he shows up.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you're talking about Spider-Geddon, there are several mentions to the ending of this game.
Spider-Geddon was what I was thinking of, yeah. Okay then, maybe don't read that one unless you want ending spoilers for the game!

Cythereal posted:

Asking as someone only familiar with Spidey from the various movies, is he always this quippy and self-aware?
Well, there are times when he gets all grim and serious (for instance, when the infamous clone saga began in the comics, Peter was going through some poo poo so he was angry all the time and calling himself "The Spider" as he wrapped himself inside a web cocoon and such, and even his clone Ben Reilly was like "jesus man, lighten up a bit" when the two met), but like others have already mentioned, as a general rule the quipping is kind of Spidey's trademark. The Raimi films completely ignored that part of the character, but he's pretty quippy in the recent MCU movies as well as some of the cartoons such as the 1994 Fox Kids one.

Speaking of that 90s cartoon, I watched a few episodes the other day and it's aged surprisingly well. It's not Batman: TAS or anything, the animation itself looks kinda janky (the fights in particular look like they're in slow motion now) and they obviously had to tone down a bunch of things for the network censors, but I think they did a great job adapting the comics and and Peter's characterization is spot on. Also, the theme song absolutely shreds. :rock:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a show where Spider-Man was literally not allowed to throw a punch, I was baffled by the fact that they were able to get away with things like Kingpin all but saying that he killed his father and even showing the lead up in flashback.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think my favorite 90s Spidey cartoon censorship thing, aside from Spider-Man not being allowed to disturb pigeons, was that they apparently weren't allowed to use the words 'radioactive' or 'blood'. So, they went and used 'neogenic' and 'plasma' instead, but that's not the point.

No, the point is that... well, take a look at the entirety of the theme song's lyrics: "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, radioactive Spider-Man.(x2) Spider blood, spider blood, got radioactive spider blood.(x4) Spider-Man, Spider-Man!" I guess Shuki Levy and Joe Perry didn't get the memo, or the theme song was somehow exempt from the network rules? (edit: ...or maybe I was wrong about the radioactive thing, because Peter actually mentions radioactive rays in the first episode of season 2)

By the way, I just noticed a cool easter egg on the Oscorp visitor pass we found in the latest video. On the bottom right corner above the barcode, it reads "Control: ASM1471964" which is a reference to The Amazing Spider-Man #14, published in July 1964. That happens to be the issue where the Green Goblin debuted (riding an incredibly stupid-looking mechanical broomstick instead of a glider), although his true identity as Norman Osborn wouldn't be revealed until much later. This game is chock full of easter eggs such as this, and I'll do my best to point them out wherever I notice them.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 1, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Doc M posted:

although his true identity as Norman Osborn wouldn't be revealed until much later.

Apparently one of the arguments between Lee & Dikto was whether the Green Goblin was going to turn out to be the father of Peter Parker's best friend - Dikto thought it was too coincidental and unrealistic, and Lee just wanted more DRAMA.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For a show where Spider-Man was literally not allowed to throw a punch, I was baffled by the fact that they were able to get away with things like Kingpin all but saying that he killed his father and even showing the lead up in flashback.

And Carnage was in several episodes! And portrayed pretty well for being censored! You know anything about the character, you know that’s a feat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 04: F.E.A.S.T.

This Martin Li fellow seems nice. Also, reading a lot of old Spider-Man comics recently has really reminded me how Aunt May used to primarily exist to treat Peter like a particularly fragile child, occasionally get kidnapped by villains, and end up in the hospital every five minutes because she's 900 years old. There was also constant concern that she might drop dead if she ever found out her nephew was Spider-Man. Thankfully, later writers have largely remedied these problems and turned Aunt May into an actual character rather than a geriatric plot device. In particular, her portrayals in Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and J. Michael Straczynski's run on Amazing Spider-Man stand out (of course the latter ended in Spider-Man and MJ selling their marriage to the devil to save May's life, but JMS never wanted to do that story and left before its end).

For this recording session (episodes 4 and 5), I decided to enable the subtitle background in the accessibility options to make them stand out a little more during gameplay because important phone conversations won't wait for you to finish beating up thugs.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 30, 2019

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm like the game's portrayal of J. Jonah Jameson, especially why he doesn't like Spider-Man. Saying Spider-Man is secretly a criminal because he wears a mask never made sense to me, but blaming Spider-Man for starting a crime war because he helped jail Fisk is a position I can see someone holding.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From Jameson's perspective, s a man wearing a mask can't be held responsible for any actions because his identity is unknown to everyone but himself. So if Spider-Man messes up and it comes down on his head, who gets the blame? He could just decide to stop swinging around for a while after having caused a catastrophe.

Also, blaming Spider-Man for jailing Fisk when the police were making a move on him already is just silly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

White Coke posted:

I'm like the game's portrayal of J. Jonah Jameson, especially why he doesn't like Spider-Man. Saying Spider-Man is secretly a criminal because he wears a mask never made sense to me,

IIRC Jameson made his start during the civil rights movement as a crusading young reporter battling the Klan. This left him with an abiding distrust of people in masks.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

From Jameson's perspective, s a man wearing a mask can't be held responsible for any actions because his identity is unknown to everyone but himself. So if Spider-Man messes up and it comes down on his head, who gets the blame? He could just decide to stop swinging around for a while after having caused a catastrophe.

Yeah, that all makes sense for a reason to be suspicious, but in some versions it comes across like he just thinks Spider-Man is a criminal mastermind.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, blaming Spider-Man for jailing Fisk when the police were making a move on him already is just silly.

Well his reasoning is wrong, but it's a reasoning I can realistically see someone having especially if Jameson has been attacking Spider-Man a lot.

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC Jameson made his start during the civil rights movement as a crusading young reporter battling the Klan. This left him with an abiding distrust of people in masks.

Does this version have that background? Its a good reason to distrust people who hide their identities while saying they're doing good though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is always tough to say, but one of the constants about Jameson is that outside of his hate boner for Spiderman he generally seems like a good man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeesh, the combat in this game looks brutal for what's supposed to be non-lethal. I think this sums it up nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/dYdW8kU.mp4

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Cythereal posted:

Yeesh, the combat in this game looks brutal for what's supposed to be non-lethal. I think this sums it up nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/dYdW8kU.mp4

Watching streams of this game is great because of the chat just going "yeah that one's dead" every couple of minutes :v:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's worth noting that JJJ's rant about the surveillance towers at the start of the episode made me think of an early story from like the 60s where the police are setting up cameras across New York, and a lot of people - naturally tending to be young, more counterculture types - are opposed to it. They protest outside the Bugle, and while people natuurally assume JJJ's going to tell them off, he mainly yells at them for protesting outside his building when he's also opposed to the surveillance, and I believe leads them on a march to City Hall. They take the cameras down (partially because it turns out the guy installing them was planning to let criminials use them to watch the police, befre Spidey stopped it).

So what I'm saying is Jonah has form for largely having decent opinions and values when it comes to non-Spider-Man matters.

Also, those two homeless guys musing about what they'd do with powers went basically directly to Spidey's two careers he's usually had in the various adaptions before he goes into full-time crimefighting. Actually, that kind of reminds me of a minseries called spider-Man: With Great Power, which was set basically in the period where Peter was a TV star. I seem to recall that it had a couple of weird variants of the costume that sort of remind me of the new suit here. It's apparently meant to be 'canon' to the marvel universe, although the fact they got Uncle Ben so amazingly off model makes it hard for me to accept that. Like, when has Uncle Ben in any universe ever had a moustache? Oh well, at least it's not Trouble.

Speaking of comics, Spectacular Spider-Man 310 just came out, and is I dare day a must read. Now you might be asking why that issue. Well, its the end of Chip Zdarsky's run on the book, and he has done what a few writers have done on their last issue, and written Why Spider-Man Is Great: The Comic. It's a wonderful standalone book.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

White Coke posted:

I'm like the game's portrayal of J. Jonah Jameson, especially why he doesn't like Spider-Man. Saying Spider-Man is secretly a criminal because he wears a mask never made sense to me, but blaming Spider-Man for starting a crime war because he helped jail Fisk is a position I can see someone holding.

The thing is, the game's pretty clear that Spider-man's been operating for years now and Jameson has been against him the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Doc M posted:

For this recording session (episodes 4 and 5), I decided to enable the subtitle background in the accessibility options to make them stand out a little more during gameplay because important phone conversations won't wait for you to finish beating up thugs. If you don't like the background, I can always turn it off for the next batch of videos.

Subtitles are always a good thing in games like this.