Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, the opening of the game has Peter fight some cops who are on the take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The first DLC for the game dropped today (or I guess is dropping today, depending on where you are in the world), and in case you were wondering about that -- yes, I will also be playing all three DLC episodes to 100% completion. They are meant to be played after the story, though, so we will obviously get through the main game first!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I found this link that has an interesting history of why J. Jonah Jameson hates Spider-man and how it's evolved over time. No spoilers for the game either if you're worried about that.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
At first I kind of agreed with you it’s a little funny the landlord didn’t notice the ton of Spiderman gear and notes lying around the apartment, but then I thought about it and “landlord casually shoved everything into a bag without even looking and threw it in the dumpster” sounds about right really. Though if I were Peter I’d have grabbed some other items, like the laptop you could see in the opening cutscene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That and it's not exactly weird for someone to have Spider-Man merchandise!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Or, the landlord keeps seeing Spider-man jumping out of Peter's window, and just does not give a single gently caress.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 11: The Network Is Down

Somebody's been screwing with the network towers, and this time it's not us! Apparently, someone screwed with the towers before us, taking them offline in the first place, and now they are at it again. Let's find out who these guys are and what they are doing.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 25, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I find it funny in the last vid you say the webbomb can't web enemirs to walls.....right after it webs 3 guys to the garbage truck

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I find it funny in the last vid you say the webbomb can't web enemirs to walls.....right after it webs 3 guys to the garbage truck
I said the web bomb doesn't web enemies to the ground. Which it doesn't do, unlike Web Blossom. It totally webs them against walls and objects if they're close enough.

edit: Well, I guess if the enemies are already knocked down, throwing a web bomb can web them up at that point just like your regular web shooters can.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 25, 2018

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Behold, Spider-Cop:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
ROFL! If we can still move and beat up enemies while reciting the Miranda warnings I will gladly wear that suit (bonus points if it also redubs Spidey to exclusively use the Spider-cop voice).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Lazy Bear posted:

Behold, Spider-Cop:

:perfect:

Insomniac needs to add that to the game in the next DLC.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

Behold, Spider-Cop:

Add it to the DLC.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Lazy Bear posted:

Behold, Spider-Cop:

After the first time you use the suit power you get a bonus J.J.J. podcast with him mad about Spidey impersonating a police officer before going off on a tangent about Stolen Valor.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Tuxedo Ted posted:

After the first time you use the suit power you get a bonus J.J.J. podcast with him mad about Spidey impersonating a police officer before going off on a tangent about Stolen Valor.

I'm a little disappointed JJJ doesn't have a podcast for every suit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 12: Free Fallin'

Some Demons are causing mayhem at a Fisk construction site, so even though Fisk isn't our favorite guy we should probably do something about that before someone gets hurt. This is the mission they showed off at E3 2017, and things have changed a little bit since then. No, I'm not talking about any reflection cube maps. They actually changed the cutscenes and dialog for the final release.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome back!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've been meaning to post the update for some time now but I've just been a bit distracted lately, partially by work but mainly by a certain cowboy game that came out recently. :v: Now that I'm done with RDR2 for the time being, I can get on with my LPs again.

I might LP RDR2 at some point because it's a really cool game and I am a crazy person, but I think I'll get a 4K capture device (and a computer that is powerful enough to handle said capture device) first and then I'll look into RDR2, so that'll be a while. I also have a bunch of RDR1 footage lying around and I'd like to do something with that as well, but finding time for all this stuff might be difficult. And no, I haven't forgotten about Yakuza either, I just need to record commentary for the last few episodes.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Doc M posted:

Episode 12: Free Fallin'

Some Demons are causing mayhem at a Fisk construction site, so even though Fisk isn't our favorite guy we should probably do something about that before someone gets hurt. This is the mission they showed off at E3 2017, and things have changed a little bit since then. No, I'm not talking about any reflection cube maps. They actually changed the cutscenes and dialog for the final release.

Oh boy is Damge control going to have a field day with that one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

(CLICK HERE FOR LIMITED EDITION VARIANT COVER)

Episode 13: Hell Is Empty

In which things go very wrong.

(spoilers for episode) When I played this part for the first time, I was pretty surprised they killed Jefferson and a bunch of other people just like that. Obviously, Peter wasn't going to die here, because we kinda need a Spider-Man for the rest of this Spider-Man game and Miles can't be a replacement because we've seen he doesn't have any powers. Still, that shot of MJ and Peter made for a pretty dramatic if somewhat misleading comic book cover!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 12, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sorry about the double post, but Stan Lee just died :smith:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/stan-lee-marvel-comics-legend-721450

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 12, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, that was a thing. I knew Li was involved with the Demons, but I wasn't expecting him to be their leader. I was expecting him to have been forced or blackmailed into helping them or some such. This is not a Spider-Man character I've heard of before.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
RIP Stan Lee. May your creations ever live on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't want to see a Marvel movie without a Stan Lee cameo. :smith:

Also, it is a hell of a thing seeing a suicide bombing in a Spider-Man game. I'm used to Batman stuff being dark, but it always stuns me when Spider-Man goes there for some reason.

I guess I'm used to those old Spidey shows where Peter almost always saves the day and no one really got hurt. Aside from that old MTV show where you had stuff like Electro electrocute a guy to death on-screen and go after several more people before Peter even found out what was happening.

Cythereal posted:

Well, that was a thing. I knew Li was involved with the Demons, but I wasn't expecting him to be their leader. I was expecting him to have been forced or blackmailed into helping them or some such. This is not a Spider-Man character I've heard of before.

Mr. Negative is one of the newer Spider-Man villains, as I recall. He's also noteworthy for turning Eddie Brock into Anti-Venom for a time when Brock got sick of Symbiotes and wanted to be a better guy. Of course, Eddie is Venom again in the comics now, though he's at least not out to get Peter anymore. For now, anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Lot of idiot balls in that sequence.
Given their weird zappy powers, was the suicide bombing really necessary? I suppose maybe they couldn't get as much oomph as they wanted for the display and had to supplement with standard explosives?
Miles, do not approach heavily-armed people gunning down civilians. Definitely do not attempt to hit one of them with a pipe, which even if it works will attract attention from the other dozen or so. There's brave and then there's outright stupid. Though a case could be made that teens are a combination of the two, this level of it still boggles me.
And then Mr. Li rather deliberately leaving a witness who can tell everyone that he's involved. Just plain what the hell. He may not be able to identify Mr. Li on the spot, but after fireworks like that at a police/mayoral function, guaranteed they're sitting him down with a sketch artist to try to catch the people responsible for his dad's death (and dozens of others).

Wait a second. Oh crap, was Yuri there? Is she okay? :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, Peter saw Li with the Demons shortly before the explosion, didn't he? I'm not sure how concerned with stealth he is, but he didn't really seem to be trying to blend in.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 13, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Just to clarify, you don't need to use spoiler tags when talking about the latest episode. I used them just because I didn't want to spoil the entire episode in the update post, before anyone even got to see it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
You actually photographed the sanctum in an earlier episode.

Well, that was unexpected. Was kind of expecting him to turn into an S.H.E.I.L.D liaison give that I seemed to recall him being one in the main marvel universe.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

cokerpilot posted:

You actually photographed the sanctum in an earlier episode.
You sure? If that were the case, I wouldn't have gotten the landmark token here and the map marker would've been greyed out as well. I do remember taking a picture of a random church with a similar-looking stained-glass window in one episode, though.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Felinoid posted:

Given their weird zappy powers, was the suicide bombing really necessary? I suppose maybe they couldn't get as much oomph as they wanted for the display and had to supplement with standard explosives?

We have no idea what the zappy stuff is or what it does yet; and to be honest it seems like it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective without the chaos of the bombing.

I'm sure the game will explain it eventually, but it makes a lot of sense given how Mr Negative's powers work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh, I'd never heard of Mister Negative. I like it, though, the game giving a lot of time and attention to one of the new and/or obscure villains.

Unfortunately, that thought also makes me worry that this is going to be another Arkham Origins: the new/obscure villains will quickly be displaced by the classic foes we've seen time and again, Osborne going Green Goblin or Octavius strapping on the tentacles.

The new Spiderman movie next year is doing Mysterio, at least, and who the hell would have thought Homecoming could make the goddamn Vulture of all people into a compelling and intimidating enemy?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Doc M posted:

Just to clarify, you don't need to use spoiler tags when talking about the latest episode. I used them just because I didn't want to spoil the entire episode in the update post, before anyone even got to see it.

Yeah, I just always do it a few posts even after the update, just to be safe for idle scrollers. :)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cythereal posted:

Huh, I'd never heard of Mister Negative. I like it, though, the game giving a lot of time and attention to one of the new and/or obscure villains.

Unfortunately, that thought also makes me worry that this is going to be another Arkham Origins: the new/obscure villains will quickly be displaced by the classic foes we've seen time and again, Osborne going Green Goblin or Octavius strapping on the tentacles.

The new Spiderman movie next year is doing Mysterio, at least, and who the hell would have thought Homecoming could make the goddamn Vulture of all people into a compelling and intimidating enemy?

Mr Negative was created/introduced by none other than... Dan Slott, one of the writers of the game. Always nice to eat your own dog food as it were.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As I recall, Slott was just a consultant for Li's character.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As I recall, Slott was just a consultant for Li's character.
Yeah, I think Bryan Intihar from Insomniac mentioned Slott was only there as a consultant for a couple of days or so. As far as I know, the actual story was written by the guys at Insomniac.

Also, the next update is rendering in Premiere at the moment. This'll take some time because I went from encoding at 1440p to rendering the videos at 4K (or "faux-K", as I like to call it when you render a 1080p source video at 4K to avoid the effects of YouTube's lovely compression) in order to get the highest YouTube bitrate possible and provide the best video quality I can without actually recording at 4K! To be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure if this is really worth it on my end, because the file sizes on my hard drive will be huge (you, the viewer, can still choose one of the lower bitrate options on YouTube, so for you there are no drawbacks on the file size or bandwidth front), and the 1440p versions already look pretty good while also taking far less time to render and upload. We'll see how it turns out in the end, so just consider this an experiment. :science: As CJacobs explains in this video he did about fake 4K, the higher bitrate doesn't only benefit people with 4K screens but 1080p users see the improvement as well.

edit: Oh yeah, and if you're not completely sick of my voice yet, feel free to check out the Red Dead Redemption LP I started the other day!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 17, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Doc M posted:

Yeah, I think Bryan Intihar from Insomniac mentioned Slott was only there as a consultant for a couple of days or so. As far as I know, the actual story was written by the guys at Insomniac.

And that's why the game's story is actually pretty good. If Slott actually wrote it,the story probably would've been a garbage fire like nearly everything he's written.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Episode 14: Crossfire

As the Demons continue their assault on the city following the events at City Hall last episode, we're trying to hunt down Martin Li based on the few leads we've got. Seems simple enough, but of course nothing is ever that simple in the life of Spider-Man...

This is the first episode rendered in fake 4K rather than fake 1440p, and I recommend using the 4K option regardless of the actual resolution of your screen to get the most detail. While the difference is subtle (the temporal AA softens things up a lot, and the source video is still just 1080p so there's only so much a higher bitrate can do), you're now getting these in full source video quality! On an unrelated note, yes, I accidentally call an AC unit a fuse box at one point in this episode. I couldn't quite make out what it was in the preview video as I was launching it at a Demon's face.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 17, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh dual wielding pistols, you will never not look incredibly silly, and I'm surprised Peter's spider sense didn't kick in about Silver's trap.

Still, here's hoping these guys don't break out a flying aircraft carrier like a certain other game where paramilitary forces with power armor come in to replace the SWAT guys after a certain plot point.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Oh dual wielding pistols, you will never not look incredibly silly, and I'm surprised Peter's spider sense didn't kick in about Silver's trap.

Still, here's hoping these guys don't break out a flying aircraft carrier like a certain other game where paramilitary forces with power armor come in to replace the SWAT guys after a certain plot point.

We should be fine as Spiderman is a much more grounded game then Saints Row 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know this is a comics setting, but I still feel like the mayor calling in a PMC to police a city is a violation of so many laws.