Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
lmbo if you aren't already on exoplanets found by Kepler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

We even had Reagan, the leader of the most armed place on the planet, explicitly ramble about how he wished to kill aliens instead of having to kill his fellow human beings.

an alien civilization detects various nuclear explosions from a planet surveyed eons ago as a possible life-bearing world.

"a new conscious species must have reached a break through; the co-operation necessary to tackle the complexity of splitting and fusing the atom! let's go meet them and give them some advice to avoid the pitfalls we experienced in our own atomic age."

twenty years pass as they travel at 0.9 the speed of light to meet their galactic neighbors. their AI-powered automated scanning of the planet's broadcasts has identified a communication relevant to their mission: emitting from their destination, a visual stream is being sent in which a major leader discusses the possibility of alien life

"oh look, the leader of the most influential group of them is talking to representatives of the entire planet! let's listen in!"

"... Perhaps we need some outside universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world ..."

:zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg::zerg:

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

pixaal posted:

I wish I could live on a space station in low grav. Not micro gravity, I don't want to work out every day to not break my bones using a keyboard. Something like .6g or so?
Mars could get you to ~0.3g. Hitch a ride with Elon if you want your children to be weird elongated abominations.

Venus's gravity is about ~0.9g, so it doesn't fit the requirements and lol if you think this is possible.

Is there any planetary body in the solar system with 0.6g? A space station spinning to replicate 0.6g seems so contrived and stupid. Also I won't get commission since by treaty all free-space is owned collectively by the solar system.

0.6g seems oddly specific. Why don't you just tackle the problem head-on and lose some weight fatty?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

There is nothing inherently impossible about floating cities on planets with high density atmospheres :shrug:

It's not even in the same pile with spaceships reaching a significant % of light speed or god forbid, going over it somehow, and other poo poo that's impossible under current understanding of science.

okay it's not impossible. but i can't imagine a scenario where it would be worthwhile to invest in beyond the earth literally exploding, or humanity as a whole becoming so bored with the realization that they'll never leave the solar system.

after having multiple colonies on mars and gas-giant moons, the space trek commies hold a meeting to decide whether we play Hot Air Balloon Simulator 2319: Hard Mode or "let's land man on the sun!"

"well, i'm for living in a fragile 18th century blimp above acid-nightmare-hell-planet. why? well... i hadn't considered that... nah yeah it'd probably be cooler to figure out how to walk on the sun"

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

pixaal posted:

latency.... not having the best CPU every year.... losing competitive edge due to severe latency issues between earth and my mormon, generational colony ship

gently caress if i can't afford to live on earth anymore, at least venus will have acceptable ping. i'm voting venus now, gently caress the sun. you can't game your life away with an unfathomably massive nuclear explosion endlessly occurring beneath your feet.

*shits in venus blimp* OH MY loving GOD, IF HE CAN'T KEEP THAT SPACE DIARHEA IN THE CAMODE-

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

OC donut steal, I'm waiting for that 10Mil cheque from HBOs studios.

There is no copyright in space.

Just loads of microscopic feces clogging up your lungs and obscuring instruments panel.

Some loving Wired Article posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/astronaut-scott-kelly-explains-how-the-iss-is-like-harris-county-jail/

I was touring the Harris County Jail, and there’s this room that smells like space station—combination of antiseptic, garbage, and body odor. You know how on Earth, with gravity, stuff tends to rise or fall depending on its weight compared to air? On the ISS, that doesn’t happen, so smells can kind of linger.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Rutibex posted:

colonizing planets is dumb. its easier and better to make o'neill cylinders and colonize space itself. lets leave lovely planets behind!

yeah ok, i'm gonna sell real estate via a series of Cartesian co-ordinates :rolleyes:

that's marketable. do you and your nerd friends ever consider the marketing demographics for your inventions?

this guy gets it:

Son of Rodney posted:

Maybe at some point people just do it because of the kicking rad view, ever thought of that, genius?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

contrary to popular opinion, space is not in fact safe.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

you could spend the rest of your life running in space and you would never even reach mars, even at mars' closest distance to earth which is 33,926,867 miles.

we will have to wait until humans live to be at least 370~ years before we can accomplish this, if we assume they run 24/7 at a rate of 11mph. we can assume science will have solved the problem of having to sleep, but that's still a hell of a long run :waycool:

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

Space pics, anyone who thinks space exploration is lame can vacuum suck a dick.

i love images of earth like this. most modern images of earth are composites, but these whole-earth snapshots are so loving cool.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

garfield hentai posted:

gently caress you i hope you get beaten up by space rear end in a top hat

lol right? who this gently caress thinking space is? a bitch?

space ain't taking your poo poo. i hope you like living in fear for the rest of your life, because every where you go... space is up there, Hardawn.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

The Hubble Deep Field photo gets me every time. They did an Ultra Deep Field, too.

look at little girly man here who can't handle looking at some germs and diatoms from a microscope in a photo negative. lol.

you couldn't handle space, friend. space would chew you up and spit you out, on your doomed trajectory towards the first body massive enough to capture and kill you.

space is not for men scared of pictures.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

oh well.... then uh if you love space... space will love you? i dunno nobody ever loved space before. i'll have to ask him later.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Space

I believe in space

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

frumpykvetchbot posted:

even with the sustained budget of a nation state.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Now I'm going to sing 2001 space odyssey theme

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

hm, do you spend billions of dollars to get that photo from a real rock from space?

or do you keep the billions of dollars and when anyone asks you just throw your webcam into an empty fish tank with grey aquarium gravel?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

instructions unclear tossed earth into sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

you know how terrified people say they are of an economic or societal collapse resulting in a total loss of modern day luxuries like electricity?

at least we'll see the stars. what a way to go; having been away from them for so long. :unsmith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread