Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SamuraiFoochs posted:

it's not at all worse, and gently caress me is it ever tiresome how people jerk off ITT how bad everything is every week.

Yeah I haven't watched but the recent Raws have all seemed decent. There are storylines being moved along. And new characters given things to do.

I think the write ups just highlight dumb stuff on the show that didn't draw anyone's attention in the course of the 3 hours.

It's also tiresome for people to rush in here and declare Raw bad when if you're still watching Raw at this point, you know what you're getting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah this is the best use of Dolph in quite some time, and Seth seems to bring out the absolute best in him without his usual idiosyncrasies getting in the way of his performances (or at least no longer overshadowing them).

One of Dolph's major issues has been never slowing the gently caress down. Even when he did the punches in the corner spot, he'd do it too fast for the crowd to count along to; Seth's able to keep up at his pace without it being awkward.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://streamable.com/o5obu

New WWE opening with the Marvel Studios music. drat it's eerie how they sync up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

The Chairman of the General Sports Authority tweeted out a picture of Hulk Hogan leading to speculation that he will finally return to WWE at WWE Crown Jewel.

https://twitter.com/Turki_alalshikh/status/1044260394733383682

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/1044390670952214528

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I found the portion of Raw where Liv Morgan was kicked into unconsciousness very compelling.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Yeah I guess it was cool when Austin drove the beer truck in but otherwise that was the worst Raw ever" - this thread 20 years ago, probably

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
How long until one of the full time women "drops Brie on her head by accident" to save the rest of them?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
SAVE_US.AKSANA

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Liv Morgan died for your Raw so you'd better like it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

The Brie botch was interesting in the oldschool car-wreck style where you knew seconds in it started bad and would end somehow even worse but couldn't look away

add the botch to the tag match to make it an even 13 minutes of "interesting" occurrences on a three hour show

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm mad at the people who like the show and mad at the people who dislike the show. I'm unwilling to reflect, and willing to skirmish.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
She was 24. She had a good run. Ya only livv once indeed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it owns that the universal champion is just constantly in 3-man tag matches now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I’d rather have matches with Seth and Ambrose + Reigns instead of just Reigns

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

"Yeah I guess it was cool when Austin drove the beer truck in but otherwise that was the worst Raw ever" - this thread 20 years ago, probably

Listening to the retro raw and nitro podcasts this is an accurate description of Russo era raw.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DLC Inc posted:

I mean, it is actually still better than what the champ used to do. Which was nothing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I said during Brock's run that with 30 belts it was fine to have an idiot garbage belt no one cared about, and I stand by that.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Brock's run being bad was by design. It was booked to frustrate you, and you were told by the product that what he was doing was bad and wrong.

The Shield run is supposed to be a gift to the audience. We're supposed to enjoy it, and the product is constantly telling you how great it is that The Shield, the three WORKHORSES of the WWE are back together. During the opening segment last night, The Shield made me turn off Raw. Maybe the stuff that happened later was more interesting, but the stuff that's supposed to be cool and good actually sucks.

At least Brock was supposed to suck. Therefore, The Shield is worse and gently caress Raw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of people are trying to blame Liv for leaning in and getting kneed, but either they don't realize or are ignoring that Brie hosed up the kick just before that and hit her in the face.

Brie also botched a forearm a bit later. Ruby no-sells it and does not look happy:
https://streamable.com/q4zh5

Both have been edited out of the Youtube version apparently.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Vaguido posted:

Brock's run being bad was by design. It was booked to frustrate you, and you were told by the product that what he was doing was bad and wrong.

The Shield run is supposed to be a gift to the audience. We're supposed to enjoy it, and the product is constantly telling you how great it is that The Shield, the three WORKHORSES of the WWE are back together. During the opening segment last night, The Shield made me turn off Raw. Maybe the stuff that happened later was more interesting, but the stuff that's supposed to be cool and good actually sucks.

At least Brock was supposed to suck. Therefore, The Shield is worse and gently caress Raw.

gently caress what you've said here!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

DLC Inc posted:

That's what happens when you send every main eventer to the mid card. Other than Braun, what challengers are left?

Dolph and Drew are busy with the tags and we'll get another 3-5 Braun matches that won't go anywhere. Corbin has lost, Balor has lost. Brock is off to UFC, Cena is in China. Maybe Owens or Lashley get a shot but I don't see them winning.

Is this going to be another year plus reign and we're just waiting on a NXT Callup or part timer to take it? Maybe they'll send AJ to Raw at the next shakeup?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GIFSkull/status/1044397621383557120

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

why even have the bellas wrestle, just show up and plug their stupid drama shows on E

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

DLC Inc posted:

To be fair most of the year this is what the IWGP champ does too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So she's back less than 2 months and has already had one match where she botched 2 separate dives, and one match where she legit stiffed two people, one to the point of unconsciousness

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

So she's back less than 2 months and has already had one match where she botched 2 separate dives, and one match where she legit stiffed two people, one to the point of unconsciousness

Also whatever that disaster pin was in the tag match with Maryse.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of people are trying to blame Liv for leaning in and getting kneed, but either they don't realize or are ignoring that Brie hosed up the kick just before that and hit her in the face.

Brie also botched a forearm a bit later. Ruby no-sells it and does not look happy:

There's no "apparently." The highlights are three minutes and the back half are the final 90 seconds of the match. No mention of the knee or the forearm botches, no mention of Liv going to the back, BUT it does have Liv taking the triple suplex spot with a minimum of the ref telling her "no, stay in your corner."

The Bellas botch, yet Nattie is the one taking the pin.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Chris James 2 posted:

Jinder Mahal lives on

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Kimoa Kid posted:

So how much of that Raw do you remember aside from the beer truck bit? Because (& I've not seen it in 19 years) I feel confident in saying that yeah, that would have been a bad Raw. The go-home show before Wrestlemania XV, a show whose second most memorable moment after the main event between Rock & Austin was Butterbean flattening Bart Gunn. The opening skit has the beer truck, after that you have a sub 3 minute Tag Championship match with Jarrett & Owen going to a screwy finish against The Brood after a Public Enemy run-in. For some reason The New Age Outlaws fight each other in a IC title vs Hardcore title match, which isn't a hardcore match & ends after 3 minutes because of a run in from Goldust, Al Snow & Val Venis. Non-title match with Sable beating Ivory almost cleanly in 3 minutes, though there was a trip by Jackie before the Sable Bomb, but by the standards of Russo this was about as good as it gets. Winner of the next match to guest referee the main event, Mankind beats The Rock after 6:30 with a ref bump, & then The Big Show running in to chokeslam Mankind only for the ref to see it & DQ him. Kane vs. Goldust is meant to happen but "Goldust" throws a fireball at Kane & then pulls off his week to reveal himself as HHH so that doesn't even happen. X-Pac is meant to have a street fight with Shane McMahon but that doesn't happen after run-ins from The Mean Street Posse before it starts. Shamrock, Test & Bossman vs The Undertaker & The Acolytes starts with a nightstick shot to the Undertaker & descends into a brawl in the crowd that goes about 2 minutes & doesn't actually start as a match. Main event, Austin beats The Big Show after almost 10 minutes, after several chair shots which guest referee Mankind let go.

You're talking about a whole host of run-ins, a fireball, no clean finishes, this is not a well booked card. Yeah, the Austin stuff was great because Austin, The Rock & McMahon were tremendous in their roles but one memorable segment is a bit poor in a 2 hour show. Worst Raw ever, no, obviously not, this was a pretty much par show in the Vince Russo era. Still an awful lot more bad than good and if you think otherwise it's simply because over the years it's easier to remember the good & forget the constant run-ins or Public Enemy even having a WWF run.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That's kind of my point? It's a three hour show that's been on every week for decades, and suggesting it's insanely bad now ignores that fact that 1. there's pretty much something entertaining in each episode, and 2. virtually every episode in the history of Raw has had some dumb poo poo in it, because how do you avoid that when you're making so many shows? I can't recall ever once in my life watching a WWE weekly program from start to finish and thinking "every single second of that owned and was awesome."

Vaguido posted:

I genuinely don't understand what could've possibly happened in the opening minutes of the show that was so bad it made you change the channel.

wicka fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 25, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

drat, I missed that one. Brie was supposed to take the forearm, not give it. Ruby owns for no selling what was a legit shot to the face.

Wonder how tempted she was to give Brie a receipt for that and the Liv botch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

1998 diehard WWE quality fan: "how dare the goddamn GDT not shower more praise on the Val Venis match, can't believe how much good they willfully ignore"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That's kind of my point? It's a three hour show that's been on every week for decades, and suggesting it's insanely bad now ignores that fact that 1. there's pretty much something entertaining in each episode, and 2. virtually every episode in the history of Raw has had some dumb poo poo in it, because how do you avoid that when you're making so many shows?

I genuinely don't understand what could've possibly happened in the opening minutes of the show that was so bad it made you change the channel.

93% of yesterday's RAW was dumb poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

93% of yesterday's RAW was dumb poo poo

I'd like to see this breakdown

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I'd like to see this breakdown

the 13 interesting minutes divided by 190 minutes

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

drat, I missed that one. Brie was supposed to take the forearm, not give it. Ruby owns for no selling what was a legit shot to the face.

Wonder how tempted she was to give Brie a receipt for that and the Liv botch.

Wasn't ske like five feet away when Act Yasukawa was nearly murdered in-ring by an egomaniac who wanted to work stiff? So probably extremely tempted.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Chris James 2 posted:

She was never a good wrestler to begin with but surely there have been other wrestlers who's botched as much...in almost the same amount of time...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

Also whatever that disaster pin was in the tag match with Maryse.

I think that Maryse was going to pull her tights but they just didn't get there in time? Maybe?

gently caress I don't know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Draxion posted:

Wasn't ske like five feet away when Act Yasukawa was nearly murdered in-ring by an egomaniac who wanted to work stiff?

*reads wiki page*

christ how was she not arrested by the japanese police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

*reads wiki page*

christ how was she not arrested by the japanese police

quote:

As a child, Yasukawa dreamed of becoming a samurai. Her parents supported her passion by guiding her into Kendo. However, when Yasukawa reached middle school she was informed there were no samurai in modern Japan.

God drat. Rough life.

• Locked thread