Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

♪ BGM: Chapter Title

It's time for the second chapter.

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

We find ourselves in a strange room with a lot of candles and a throne...

...and a shrine to the apparently now deceased Masaru.

A bowl is struck to make a tone, and this is the part where my lack of knowledge of what is probably a Japanese memorial rite comes out and I basically get to say "this is a thing that is happening and that is all I know".

May his soul rest in peace.

Rest in peace... rest in peace...

Nagisa doesn't seem to be all that interested in this whole deal.

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

He always acted all big, and was a perverted idiot, but...he was a pretty good person. I remember the time he fixed the air conditioner, and even the chairs and tables, too...
Um... I was the one who did that...
...Anyway, he was a good person. Oh Lord, why do the good ones always die first!?
I should have been the one to die. Might as well. That's how it feels... Like you're trying to hide that you actually think I should have died, cuz no one likes me.
...But I agree with you. It would be much better for the hated one to die instead of the leader of the Warriors of Hope...
Ah, that reminds me! That's totally true! Masaru *was* the leader, huh?
What are we to do without our leader?
*sob*, *sob*... Oh, Masaru!

I like the enthusiasm Kotoko is showing here.

Ugh... if only I went first, Masaru wouldn't have died. I'm a useless loser... And being locked in the bathroom by Masaru is no excuse! It's my fault for being there. I shouldn't have been pooping in the first place.

Waaah, even though he was so strong, so full of life... Now he's just a chunk of meat!
Like I said... According to the Monokuma Kids' report, they did not say he was dead. The report indicated that he was captured by adults, and his status is unknown.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

...Huh?

Hearing "status unknown" or "unconscious"... You knew they're probably gonna die anyway. That's what I always thought, anyway.
But, but even so, if we don't actually confirm it for ourselves...
No, it would be pointless. Our precious Masaru... He's returned to the earth now.
But... We should have someone go look into it, just in case...

A prince! Who became! A star! What! Is essential! Is! Invisible! To! The! Eye!

Huh. I've LPed two visual novels - or, well, one visual novel and one third-person-shooter with very heavy visual novel elements - and both of them quote that particular line from The Little Prince. I have no idea what to make of that.

My goodness! You made Monaca maaad.
Awww, now you're gonna be the hated one, Nagisa. Even more than me...
...Huh?
But it stopped short! Never to go again! When the old man died, y'know!?
R-Right, I understand! It's just as you say!

No, you don't understand, Nagisa. I dare you to explain what Monaca means when she quotes The Little Prince and the song My Grandfather's Clock in her freakout.

Masaru...died. That's just...what I need to believe.

You were a grand leader. You worked your hardest, like a real hero should, though you were a coward.
Phew! I feel much better now, after a good cry! Okay now, let's get back to the game.
Alright? The fun's not over yeeet!
You...want to continue with this? Is it not more important to work on establishing Paradise further? There are other adults around--
Nagisa... You don't wanna play anymore? Do you hate Monaca now because Monaca's just so selfish!?
N-No, of course not. We're allies, and we'll create Paradise together, after all.

Wh-Where did that come from? I hardly think it's appropriate to discuss that now...
So you...don't like me?
L-Like I said, it's not *that*...

You know, Nagisa... That attitude of yours... You're acting just a little bit like an adult...
...Adult?
You're an adult?
D-Don't be stupid! That's not true! I'll be a kid until I die! I would rather die right now than become an adult! Don't you believe me?

Then... Do you like me?
I... I like you.
Yaaay! Nagisa liiikes Monaca!
I l-like you as an ally, with whom I can build Paradise... It's not...*love* or anything.
Oooh, this is bad. Nagisa is burning up...
Jataro, you're our Priest! Chant some healing magic!
O Heaven, change my words to life, give mercy to the lost soul! Haaaiyaaa!
Kyahahaha!
S-Stop that! Don't tease me!
Jeez, don't be so mean to Nagisa! Nagisa, Kotoko, we are all allies here. We need to learn to get along.
...I'm standing right here... You didn't mention me because you hate me, right? That must be it...
So let's all get along, okay? Let's have fun hunting together, okay?
Kyaaa! As expected of our Monaca, positive as always! I just love that about you!
Ah, of course, it's not *just* that. I love everything about you.
Fine... Let's continue the game. I have no further objections.
That's our vice leader... Oh wait, you're the leader now.
...The leader?
Yeah, I mean, that hero guy... Um, what was his name...?
Well anyway, our last leader died, so since you were vice leader, you're promoted.
I'm...the leader of the Warriors of Hope?
Yeah, that's right. I have high expectations of you, our new leader Nagisa.
Y-Yeah... High expectations for me...

Remember this part. This'll become relevant later.

Good! You're so reliable, I knew I can count on you!

Hmm, I have a little business to take care of. Buh-byeee!
Business? What kinda business? Monaca always goes off on her own like that...
Prying into a lady's private life? If you were an adult, that'd be sexual harassment!
Oh! Could it be her tummy? Do you think maybe she just has to poop?
Ugh, you actually went there!? That topic is off-limits! Jeez, I hope you die in the worst way.
But I heard that...going to the bathroom once in a while is actually really healthy!
Excuse you, but our little Monaca does not do number two! You'll just have to settle with mine.

That's always a fun sign that children think a particular other kid is just incredibly precious and innocent - when they actually say "she does not poop".

W-Wait... That makes it sound like I'm a pervert or something...
Ahhh, oh no! This is such a bother... What if my good image is soiled by this? What if people avoid me all the time, and I can split them like Moses?
...Oh. That actually sounds pretty good...
Anyway, there's nooo need whatsoever to worry about where Monaca goes. She's not telling us because it's something we don't need to know.
Yeah... I should remember to just focus on hunting Demons. And also to always brush my teeth.
Ah ha! Cheater! I won't let you get a head start! I'm gonna go hunt down Demons as well!
You're right, we should focus. This is Monaca, after all. This game surely has some purpose. Perhaps it's to send a message to the coward adults that they cannot win against us...
Yes, that's probably it. This game can play a vital role in establishing our paradise!
You were totally against it a minute ago. Did the power of being a leader go to your head?
Wh—What was that!?
Ahhh... Guys, Monaca said no fighting...
Heeey you guys!

♪ BGM: Abnormality on the Girls' Front Line

You're too late! Monaca already left.
My sincerest apologies. I didn't know how to make them. And of course, I couldn't look it up...

I'm not certain. I did make sure to add the sugar and the rendered fat...
Rendered fat!?
Did you really intend to make your rulers, the Warriors of Hope, drink this swill?
I think *you'll* be the one drinking this slimy thing instead. That's an order.
Ah, but how troubling... If I keep drinking it down, I'll feel it filling up my stomach...
But, if it's your order, master... I live to serve. I am your servant, after all. ...Ahahahaha.

And thus, we learn that Nagito isn't the person to ask when it comes to food. Anyway, that'll be it for this update. Next time, we rejoin Komaru and Toko as they make their way into the subway station and scope the place out.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 11, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So we didn't see a corpse and no one is going to confirm the death, huh?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean the person who pushed heavily for it got threatened with murder by the mastermind of the group.

Guys I'm starting to think monaca might not have the other kid's interest at heart :ohdear:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aren't these kids the ones in charge of the monokumas? Why are they upset that they scored a kill?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheMcD posted:

A prince! Who became! A star! What! Is essential! Is! Invisible! To! The! Eye!

But it stopped short! Never to go again! When the old man died, y'know!?

By now, it should be apparent who the best character in this game is.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
How many "leaders" have there been before this? :ohdear:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

By now, it should be apparent who the best character in this game is.

Convincing readers that Monaca is the best is one of the not entirely openly stated objectives of this LP. Well, I guess it's openly stated now.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm kinkshaming Nagito.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, I've recorded the next batch of footage, and in sighting it, I have noticed a bit of an issue - the video occasionally goes choppy.

I didn't notice this at all during playing, so I can only presume this is something that happened during recording, which is strange, because starting out recording this footage, I had some larger problems stemming from not closing down everything I didn't need (this is a laptop I'm doing this on, it's not exactly a high-powered rendering beast), and OBS told me when it was having issues with a little message at the bottom. I didn't notice that message in the actual recording, so I'm not entirely sure what happened here. I'll futz around with it a bit, maybe I can figure it out, since it didn't happen to start with.

Basically, the gist of what I'm getting at is 1) update coming in a day or two, probably and 2) some of the upcoming videos might have some stuttering in them, I'm not rerecording two hours just to get rid of them since they're fairly sporadic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cyouni posted:

How many "leaders" have there been before this? :ohdear:

There can't have been that many, unless RPG class names are what the kids reverted to after they ran through other media properties.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ilmucche posted:

Aren't these kids the ones in charge of the monokumas? Why are they upset that they scored a kill?

Cause one of their own was supposedly killed.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

ilmucche posted:

Well Monaca seems to be faking it and the others just seem to be going along with whatever she does, so I don't think any of them actually give a drat about the supposed kill. If anything they just seem annoyed that the dude wasn't effective at his job.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

We rejoin our intrepid duo as they head down into the subway.

A whole bunch of nothing is here.

I-It's dark and creepy... Weirds me out.
And it's not just that. Like I thought, the trains aren't moving.
But if we walk along the railway from here, we should be able to get out of the town, right?
Right? There's no mistaking it, right? I mean, we're gonna be saved, right?
Argh, so noisy... We won't know until we find out, will we?
Let's hurry up and go! Let's just run from here!
Oh, but, actually... Maybe it would be better if we pretended like we were dead to avoid attacks. Hey, Toko, do you know how to do a good zombie impression?
...I'm not doing that.

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 002

And with that, we find ourselves in an empty subway station. The Wonderful Dead music has shifted to its second variant for this chapter, and this particular one is tied with It's A Kids' World for my favorite track in the game. We already heard Wonderful Dead 004, which was a more upbeat, lounge-type version, and this is the more low-key variant of that, with less percussion and generally less going on. This track is just chill as all hell, and embodies the lounge feeling that some of this soundtrack has. Back when I was doing Vampires Dawn 2 and did some stuff about how to futz around with RPG Maker 2003, I made some small sample videos showing off some stuff I created as samples, I used Wonderful Dead 002 as background music because I thought it was perfect - the result looking like this (with super low bitrate for additional 2003 authenticity) - and also, over a year ago, I found out that there was an emulator for the Weatherstar 4000, an old weather forecast system used by The Weather Channel for local forecasts, and in dicking around with it, I made this, finding that Wonderful Dead 002 also makes good background music for weather forecasts.

Anyway, that's about enough of my rambling about music, let's get back to that subway.

There's also some grafitti sprayed on the floor of the station. No idea what it says.

First, we head down this part of the map, but...

Huh? Did we pay?

Instead, it's time to head down the stairs.

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

Yes, but we already knew that...
I know but... To see it in person, stopped like this... It makes me kinda down, is all.
Jeez, are you really going to get depressed over every little thing?
Yeah, you're right. We should just walk along the railway. Then we'll be safe, right?
L-Like I said earlier, we can't know that for sure... Believing a lie so strongly just makes the truth that much more painful. Pop idols aren't virgins, lottery numbers are fixed...
This world is much easier to deal with if you look at it rationally.
I think...you might have gone a bit off topic there...
For now, there's no other option than to try, right?
You're...right. ...
...Something wrong, Toko? Are you worried about something?
Huh? N-No, not really. It's nothing.
It's just... Didn't I tell you? I'm afraid of the dark.
...Is that all? There's something else bugging you, isn't there?
Listen, if you have a bad feeling about this, or you can sense some kind of danger...
What, do you think I'm some kind of psychic danger detector or something?
If we're gonna do this, let's hurry up and do it now. We'll have time to think later. ...The both of us.
Huh? O-Okay...

Our first objective is to head in the opposite direction we were pointed in, because of course, there might be collectibles around!

In this case, sparkles!

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

Also, scribbled across the billboards here are the logos of the Warriors of Hope, because yes, they have logos! You might notice them come up at some point. The easiest to notice is the right one, which is the general symbol for the Warriors of Hope. All five wear this one as a pin of sorts. The left one is Jataro's symbol, which I don't think we've really seen yet except with the others in the arena where we fought Masaru.

The left one here is Monaca's logo, which is also drawn on the wheels of her wheelchair. The right one is Masaru's logo, which he also had on his shirt.

Over here on the left is Kotoko's logo, which is also on the horned head-dress thing she wears.

Finally, here on the left we have Nagisa's logo, which is also on a small red and yellow pin he wears. Also, there's a collectible on the right!

It's depressing! Yayifications!

Next, we head down some stairs and start making our way along the railway tracks.

There's some Monokumas to deal with, but nothing that causes problems.

At the end of the path, we have another collectible.

Remember this one, she's going to be relevant later. Like, WAY later, but later. Also, it might be hard to tell in this case, but this is Leon's motive prisoner.

We need to head through some train cars to keep progressing, and these look really swanky.

After that, we get a cutscene!

For some reason, it's getting darker and darker... shouldn't we start heading back now?
Oh, don't say that. Let's just keep going a bit farther...

But suddenly, Bombers sneak up from behind!

They toss their grenades, and...

...they bounce off the ceiling and land right back in front of them.

That didn't go so well. But then, out of the smoke...

...Monokumas in riot gear!

Komaru takes a shot...

...but it just bounces off the shield!

That shield... the gun and grenades don't work!
Then we need to get out of here fast!

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

Eh, you know what, Toko, I think I've got this.

I still have a powered-up Break shot stored from the last nice shot I got, which can also take out these Guard guys. The other one, however, will now be a bit more of an issue.

What follows is a bunch of grab rear end trying to goad the other one to use the attack where he tries to bash us with the shield, which gives us an opening to attack, but it doesn't really work all that well.

After that, I just circle around the guy a bunch trying to hit him in the side with Dance, and eventually succeed, letting me get a shot in and killing him. Could've gone a hell of a lot better, though.

We then move on, heading further along the rails, until...

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Aha... Ahahahaha... Having luck this bad? It's almost comical...
No it isn't! It's not even one micron funny!

Wh-What!? What was that?
Something...hit my head. It felt like something fell on me from above.
...From above?

It's time for "rocks fall, everybody dies"!

Th-th-this is your fault for yelling so loud!
What do we do?
What do we do?

And then Toko gets brained by a massive piece of ceiling like we're in a cartoon.

Toko!

But suddenly, she rises back up, and...

♪ BGM: Fever Time

Take a good look, the cute one is here!

Huh?

Komaru, once again, doesn't know what the gently caress.

We gotta run, Dekomaru! Come on, let's dash!

To our...

...horizon!
Hey! Wait a sec!

I can't shake the feeling that this sudden art shift is a reference to *something*. I'll be damned if I know what, though. Audience?

♪ BGM: Monster That Shouts Its Love in the Middle of Hell

Anyway, it's time for a timed escape segment, this time with us playing as Genocider.

The basic gist of the segment is that there's Monokuma kids blocking the passage we need to get through, and in order to scare them away, we need to beat up all the Monokumas in the area.

When we do, they bail, and we're free to head to the next part.

In the last bit, we have a whole bunch of Monokumas to deal with, but it's not that hard when we can just use Genocider freely.

And with that last group dealt with, we can head back to the station we started from.

It turns out being a very close call.

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Ufufu! Boy crazy!
Wh-Why? Why did your personality change? You didn't even shoot yourself with the stun gun!
Huuuh, I didn't tell ya? My personality switches when I go unconscious, too! And I'll stay this way until I go unconscious again!
What!?
Sneezing is the same way. My personality totally changes! It's downright refreshing!
You...also change by sneezing?
That's right! If I have a little pepper in my breakfast or lunch--
A-A-Aaachoo!

She really did change!
I-I don't know what happened, but... I can take a guess.

This is...wrong... Definitely wrong.

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

I just want to get out of this place. Why...? Why can't I do it?
Was I right...? Is it really impossible? I'll never escape?
...That might be the case.
...Huh?
But even if you can't escape, you can still survive.
All you need to do is face them. Fight them.
F-Fight...?

Don't be so sure!

...Huh?

What did Toko see? Well, that'll have to wait until the next update, mainly because this upcoming segment is a whole bunch of dialogue that goes on for about 13 minutes and probably will make up an update all by itself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

L-Like I said earlier, we can't know that for sure... Believing a lie so strongly just makes the truth that much more painful. Pop idols aren't virgins, lottery numbers are fixed...

I have to wonder if that's a specific reference to Sayaka's backstory.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to wonder if that's a specific reference to Sayaka's backstory.

Nah, idol obsessors are just weird like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC, it gets so weird that idols can be in serious career danger if there's even strong rumors of them getting a boyfriend. Japanese idol culture is nuts.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

And what Toko spotted was... two Monokuma kids carrying a TV?

What is it? A monitor?
Is it... some kind of trap again?

One of the kids turns the TV on, and...

...it's Jataro!

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

...Huh?
Wh-What's with this creepy little kid?
Ah! Am I on already!?
Ohhh, I was gonna raise the curtain after Kotoko introduced me wlth a joke...
Hey... Is this kid with them, too? Is he a part of that Warriors of Hope or whatever?
Y-Yeah...
Yeeep.
I'm the Priest, Jataro Kemuri. AKA, Li'l Ultimate Art. But I'll warn you now... Don't say my name out loud. It's a curse.
D-Don't mess with me, brat! Take off that mask, I'm sweating just looking at it!
N-No! Horrible! If I do that, your eyeballs are gonna explode!
...Huh?
Even I don't want to see that... Someone's eyeballs melting off cuz of my face...
Oh, by the way, do you know? Is it just an urban legend that they use bugs to make food dye?
Cuz like, wasabi and stuff, with the taste and the color... It's suspicious...
You... I'm sure you've heard this before, but you are t-totally gross!
Huh? Gross? I dunno, I think I'm a cheerful kid...
Oh, maybe I... I just don't understand what "cheerful" is? Then I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. From the bottom of my heart, I'm so sorry. I beg you, forgive me, I'm sorry.
E-Enough already! You're grossing me out!
...Huh? You don't forgive me?

Well, maybe not. Maybe you're just teasing me, like boys who tease the girls they like... I mean, if you guys are little boy lovers and just wanna love me till you go crazy...
Even if we were siblings in a previous life, I'd still hate you!
Wh-What are you trying to say? I-I don't really get it...
Well, I can understand that. This is like a yawn after all. It just comes out of my mouth involuntarily. Nobody can make anything of it. I don't even understand it, either. This whole thing is just killing time. Just a distraction from the horrors around you.
You guys must be pretty laid back if you're actually interested in what I'm saying.
...As expected of Demons.
I've had enough of this. Goodbye.
Ah, wait, hold on! I was just trying to be nice! I wanted to tell you something!
Tell us what?
Um, it's regrettable, but the one with the wristband can't leave the city.
C-Can't leave? Why?
Well, you're a target for our game, right? The game isn't fair if there aren't any rules. Everything was already thought out. So that means there's a limit in this game.
L-Limit... Don't tell me... The reason that boy exploded when he tried to leave the town swimming...
...Huh!?
Th-That's not our fault! It's not like we wanted him to blow up or anything. The wristband is made to explode when the user goes outside the town without permission...
...Well, when I say it like that, I guess it kinda is our fault...
Wh-What!?
You should have said that in the first place! Omaru here was about to explode!
But "some things are better left unknown"... Adults say that all the time. It would be better for Mr. Pig if he didn't find out he was about to be bacon... It doesn't change the fact that Mr. Pig is gonna die. So isn't it better not to tell him?
Oh, d-don't go acting all philosophical about this! This game's rules are managed way too loosely!

♪ BGM: DSO_Desire for Execution...

Yuta, he... He died, y'know? To call what happened to him a... A "game"...
...There are some games that require you to risk your life...
Huh? What do you mean...?

Hey, um, which do you not like more? Being ignored or ghosts? I don't like ghosts more. Ghosts are always cursing people and killing them all of a sudden... It makes me super mad.
S-Stop it, already! Stop saying things that make no sense!
That's right, just keep hating me. All you have to do is hate me. I'm from the Hate Planet, where being hated makes you feel good. And it's easier to just be hated.
Oh, don't worry, I hate gross little boys like you to death!
Huh, what you just said... Doesn't it kinda sound like "love" if you flip it around?
I was worried, so I had to make double sure. That's why I called you guys.
...Double sure?
If you guys see this, you're gonna hate me even more!
Tadaaa!

♪ BGM: Business Trip Version Punishment ~Adult Diorama Episode~

This art style shift does not promise good things happening.

Jataro is in some sort of weird playroom-type place.

Some carousel horses, a big Monokuma, and a block castle gets dropped in and some balloons start flying.

We are shown a scene of a bunch of people dancing in a circle around the block castle...

...with the big Monokuma sitting there moving his arms...

...and, uh...

...things take a turn.

A fairly dark turn.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

We return to our regular artstyle with Komaru not knowing what the gently caress.

I'm not gonna look... I'm not g-gonna look! It must be something horrible...
So, this guy, I hunted him down at the shopping district... And this one I hunted in the bathroom.
Ugh...
Oh? Are you disgusted? But I can't just stop... Making dioramas is like, the only hobby I have...
So how about it? I put a bad taste in your mouth, so now you hate me, right?
Or maybe... You guys aren't affected by this... Because you have disgusting hobbies, too.
P-Please, just stop already!

Why do you want me to stop? Because you already hate me enough? Or because you don't *wanna* hate me? Because it's a waste of time? Because you're tired of it? Because you don't *want* to be?
I mean, I don't know for sure... I'm just a kid, so I dunno what you really mean...
Y-You! How crazy can you be!?

Well, it doesn't really matter... After all, I have so much fun now compared to before. I should thank Mr. and Mrs. Demons. I want to say, "Thank you for teaching me that I'm nothing but ugly, nasty, worthless filth."
I live like filth, surrounded by filth! Inside this paradise, where no adults can get in the way! Ehe, ehehehehe!

And that concludes the broadcast.

Toko is pissed, and Komaru can't deal.

And as the kids carry the TV out, Komaru just collapses.

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

...Ugh... Uuugh...
C-Crying like a kid won't make them treat you like one.
*sob*...
Are you really going to just accept it? Be their prey?
If not, there's only one thing to do. You can't run. You have to fight.
Like I said, that's impossible...
No, it's not impossible! You have Master's gun, don't you!?
No, that's not what I mean. I'm not like you. I'm just a normal high school student who can't do anything, y'know? Just running would be hard enough, but to fight? That's impossible...
...And just why do you think I'm here?

I'm not telling you to deal with it on your own...
You better not forget... I'm with you, too.
T-Toko?
I-If it's impossible to do on your own, well then I guess I have to do it with you! So just a little more...just fight a little bit more.
... It's okay to...rely on you?
Y-You've already relied on me! Isn't it a bit late to ask that?
You're right... Sorry.
If you have time to apologize, might as well do it outside. The atmosphere here is...oppressive.
Hey, Toko...
I already told you, don't apologize.
No, it's not that... Thank you.
Wh-What are you being so honest for? It's just...ugh, gross.
So c'mon, enough with that grossness and let's hurry up and get outside.
...Yeah, okay.

Alright, so that idea was a massive bust, guess we're headed back outside then.

We really don't have any other path we haven't explored out there, so I'm not sure how we're going to make progress that way.

♪ BGM: DSO_Mr. Monokuma's Extracurricular Lesson

As Toko and Komaru exit the station, they can't believe their eyes, because what do they see?

A loving GIANT MONOKUMA DANCE PARTY.

There's way too many of them...
L-Let's go back.

And thus, they head back. I just love this little scene. They had all the options in the world to explain why Komaru and Toko couldn't return back the way they came - the tunnel collapsing also made some rubble fall and block the entrance or maybe a large sinkhole. Hell, maybe just have a bunch of Monokumas out on the prowl. But no, they decided the answer was a GIANT MONOKUMA DANCE PARTY. And that's awesome.

Then, what should we do?
Don't ask me, I'm not your personal GPS.
S-Sorry, you're just so reliable, I thought I'd ask.
Reliable...?
W-Well, it is true that my brain is far superior to yours...
Now let's see... It might be better to head back underground for now, to find another exit.
Back through the underground? Are you sure you're okay with that?
Wh-What do you mean...?
I mean... You're afraid of the dark, aren't you? The underground is pretty dark...
...poo poo.

Hrm.

Oh, are you trying to be an example? To show me how to go forward, even if you're scared?
I see! As expected of a true mentor!
Ughhh...

And with that, we're back where we started from. I guess next time we'll head to the right, we weren't allowed to go there the last time, but it's the only remaining way left.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm not sure if I'd chalk it up as a good thing yet, but they've definitely made the kids talking unnerving.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Those kids have some good upper body strength for their age.

It's a little inconsistent with the size, but that's like what, a 32 or 42 inch TV? Even if it's flat panel that's still a good 25-40 pounds of awkwardly held weight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many kids are there on this island? ...well, I suppose they could have flown some in from outside. That would make sense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh hey, it's Jataro. I don't remember him being so bad compared to the othe- hahahaha NOPE :stonk:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Two of the best cutscenes in the series. The horribly disturbing 'art' reveal, followed up by the random Monokuma dance party.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glazius posted:

How many kids are there on this island? ...well, I suppose they could have flown some in from outside. That would make sense.

It's a large city, there are probably thousands of kids. I could see it approach a million.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's something hilarious in seeing the girl who spends a lot of DR1 going "I know I'm a gross disgusting pig! I bet you hate me!" interact with the Warrior of Hope who keeps being gross(although he doesn't know it) and wants you to hate him. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jataro in a nutshell.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I remember this being the point in the game where Woolie and Liam switched from the English to Japanese dub. They couldn't stand listening to Jataro's English voice, or Junko's, for that matter. :wtc: So I've never heard the English dub from this point onward!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Jataro is hosed up.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Haifisch posted:

IIRC, it gets so weird that idols can be in serious career danger if there's even strong rumors of them getting a boyfriend. Japanese idol culture is nuts.

It's not just Japan or idol singers. Plenty of famous people's significant others get death threats from insane fan-people all over the world. It's one of the side effects of trying to monetize para-social relationships: sooner or later somebody with a looser grip on reality will really believe that This Famous Big Shot really is their Special Someone and woe betide anyone that dares to breaks the illusion.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Solitair posted:

I remember this being the point in the game where Woolie and Liam switched from the English to Japanese dub. They couldn't stand listening to Jataro's English voice, or Junko's, for that matter. :wtc: So I've never heard the English dub from this point onward!

Well, I sure hope you enjoy it then! I'll be sure to have videos for the larger dialogue scenes all throughout the LP, since the voice acting is something I particularly enjoyed. It's not "enjoyable" to listen to at times, like with Jataro, but it's obviously not supposed to be in that case, and they do a great job of conveying exactly what should be conveyed for the particular situation. Komaru and Monaca are my favorites in particular, throughout the entire series as well.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, looks like we need to head back underground, but what's this? There seems to be a Monokuma kid waiting for us.

The kid walks over and gives us something.

♪ Jingle: Truth Bullet GET!

Looks like you have obtained Knockback. As you might have guessed, Knockback can knock back Monokumas. It's short range and doesn't do damage, but its effect more than makes up for that. Like removing the shields of the Guard Monokumas... Or knocking back a Bomber Monokuma to make him self-destruct where he lands. If you use it right, this Truth Bullet can have some really powerful effects. Use it on the various Monokumas to learn more about its effects firsthand.

And then the kid just runs off.

But this gun belongs to Future Foundation, right? So why are the *kids* giving me bullets?
I-I guess, maybe... There might be some kids in the group who want to support us.
Huh? Support us?
But who cares about that right now? Let's just look for the exit.
...Y-Yeah.

And thus, it's time to head over to where we couldn't go before. But then!

Counter it with the new ammo!

Now we get to deal with four Guards, but with our new ammo...

...we can deal with them a lot easier. Like the tutorial said, Knockback doesn't deal damage, but it does knock away the shields, meaning they are now just regular Monokumas as far as dealing with them is concerned.

So then we can just shoot them, and I'm running distressingly low on ammo for Break here.

And with them dealt with, it's time to move on.

Isn't it just going to get darker if we keep going? I-Is it really going to be okay?
It's probably gonna be fine.
You suck at cheering people up. Can't you choose your words more wisely? Well, I'm sure you're just laughing at me in your head, thinking I'm just some scared little girl...
I'm not laughing about it. I don't like dark places, either.
...But honestly, for some reason I feel... at ease.
Wh-Why do you feel at ease!? You enjoy taking pleasure in other people's suffering? My suffering tastes delicious and you're planning on a four-course meal, huh?
You sure have a bitchy personality. You're the type to talk trash at a wedding, aren't you?
I-I didn't mean it like that... I just mean that I'm sure you're working hard, too.
O-Of course. Even I'm at my limit. I'm scared of blood and the dark and I'm just so tired, but...th-there's no choice but to do it. I'm not some...crybaby, whiny, airheaded girl.
Whiny...crybaby?

...Wh-What? What was that!?
S-Sorry, I tried to scare you, but then your reaction scared me...
...Huh!? You really are an idiot!
I was just trying to ease the tension a little!
Yeah, well, now I'm more afraid of your stupidity than the dark.
Oh, sorry...

So now we get to walk through some sort of shopping area. Komaru retorts to Toko's statement that maybe it's subtle political satire. However, she does not know that she is in the world of Danganronpa, where the word "subtle" does not exist.

We get to see a Monokuma kid filming two other kids poking a corpse with sticks. I guess you have to find your entertainment somehow when the arcades don't work anymore. Or when the arcades all only have one loving game, judging by the amount of Monoku-Man machines we're finding. After we approach, they run away, letting us look at the corpse and get a little scene.

They look the same, but... Something's definitely different about them.
J-Just like adults... Some are good, some are bad. Don't waste time thinking about it.
Then do you think the ones who help us know it's wrong to kill adults? But now that you mention it, didn't you tell me before that they seem like they're under orders?
And d-didn't I tell you it's a waste of time thinking about brats who've gone insane!? If you have the energy to think about nonsense like that, use it for picking up your pace!
Well sorry, I can't help but wonder about it...

And now the kids have moved on to filming themselves hip thrusting at a corpse. Call the Academy Awards, I think we might not need voting this upcoming awards season.

A gift?

Nope, just some Monokumas. They didn't even have the courtesy to stick a single Monocoin in there. And if you are proficient in advanced mathematics...

...you might notice an issue. We're straight out of Break ammo now, and this Monokuma is pretty drat persistent in chasing us down.

So let's make him dance and hopefully we can get far enough away.

Down the hall, we find a collectible!

Hrm. Interesting ruleset, that.

Oooh, a Monomono machine! No whammies, no whammies, no whammies...

Bollocks. I don't need Knockback ammo right now!

Sadly, the Monokuma is still on our tail, but I think I've found a solution.

It involves this pit.

And it involves this Monokuma getting dropped into the pit. There we go. Won't get any Monocoins from him, but alas.

And then two more Monokumas show up. Here, you can imagine what me making a vague yet irritated noise sounds like, because that's what I did.

One down the pit. The other one annoyingly blocked by Toko standing in the way.

The other one down the pit. drat you game and your lack of ammo, you're keeping me from the Monocoins I deserve!

A room to the side hides a collectible.

Right off the bat, the introduction is pretty fishy. "Tomorrow" and "future" and "you"... I can't believe how often I used to get suckered in by books like this...
So you do read this kind of stuff, huh? I thought you were all about "pure literature."
I-I mean in the past. I perused some when I was... When I was a weaker woman than I am now.
A weaker Toko... I can't even imagine it. To me, you're always a strong person who never gets depressed.
No, I'm not really strong... Not deep down.
But if I look strong in your eyes, then I guess that means I've grown a little.
Grown, huh... I gotta do that too...
Good idea. You're pretty annoying the way you are right now.
Wow, you didn't even try to sugarcoat that...
But if you want to change, now's the perfect time for it. Or maybe it's that, at a time like this, you *have* to change.
I have to...
Imagine being locked inside a closed space with your classmates and forced to murder them... Whether you want to or not... You change.
I can't even imagine that... But our current situation is just as unbelievable, really. I guess I do really have to change.
Just be sure you don't change for the worse.
And Toko, that thing you mentioned earlier, about killing your classmates...
...Wh-What...?
...That's such an interesting concept! What a cool setting... You should be a writer!

Oh, right, Komaru doesn't even know that Toko is a writer.

Moving on, we see a sparkly collectible, but we can't get to it!

There's a door nearby that probably leads to it, but it's locked!

Also, there's a strange pipe thing here, which will probably be involved in unlocking the door in some fashion.

Bah. Insert more grumbling noises about my lack of ammo here.

Get in the bloody pit. ...hang on, it landed on the other side! That's cheating!

And then it fell down after standing up. Works for me!

Alright, you loving machine, you know what I want.

...I can't buy ammo with this. Bollocks.

Well, we find another one of this set of doors, which means...

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

...it's Monoku-Man time!

And hey, we got some Break ammo!

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

Like with a lot of the others, this is designed to make you apply a particular thing of a specific Truth Bullet, in this case, Knockback.

So the idea is to set up behind the Bomber and knock him into the middle of the six Monokumas.

This will then make the Bomber explode and take out the Monokumas all at once.

Except when Knockback is being a tempestuous mistress and decides to knock the Bomber over to the right a bit and one of them ends up not dying.

Take two ends up even worse.

Thankfully, take three ends up working out, however, as we already know, these two retries have already screwed me out of an A rank.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

But a success is a success.

Moving on, after exiting the Monoku-Man room, we end up in an area where one path is blocked by a pit, one is blocked by a wall, and one leads further, so let's take that one.

In doing that, we get a cutscene of Monokumas beating on somebody covered by some sort of tarp.

Please stop! Violence is a big no-no! Bullying is so uncool!

That's... not really what I expect somebody being beaten up would say. Unless they're, like, Monomi, maybe.

The Monokuma kids looking on seem to be having a good time while I'm having issues deciphering this muffled speech. And as it turns out, you can't change the voice language on the fly for the subtitles. Hrmph. So guess what? I'm going to be lazy!

[unintelligible] protect people, instead of using them to hurt people!

It's in the video, so if you want to take a stab at it, be my guest.

Wh-what is that?
Someone's getting ambushed... we gotta go save them!

And thus the Monokumas turn their sights on us.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

And then immediately turn their sights back on whoever they're beating up. Note that we have to hustle here - they can only take three hits, and are basically guaranteed to take one right at the beginning.

Some Knockback will solve that problem, though.

And then some well-placed Break shots will do the rest.

Um... excuse me... are you alright?

Looks like a bear!

Which then proceeds to scare the poo poo out of Komaru.

It's... a Monokuma?

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

That's surprising... I never figured robots would have internal discord...

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

I-It talked!?
Ah, don't be scared! It's okay, I'm not a particularly suspicious bear!
I'm a nice bear! The kind of bear who would give my opponent the corner in Othello...
Omaru, what are you doing!? Hurry up and shoot this thing!

W-Waaait! Please, don't shoot me! I promise you'll understand if we just talk it out!
Talk? Why are you even talking in the first place!?
I-I have an AI inside me! I'm different than the other Monokumas!
AI... Artificial Intelligence? It's inside you?
That's right. I can think and reason. I won't run amok like those other bears. I'm your ally. Look, I'm all white, see?

Y'know... It's kinda cute.
D-Don't be fooled! It's more unnatural if it's all white! It's like a curry plate without the curry!
Don't say that! We can be friends. I wanna be friends with as many pretty ladies as possible.
P-Pretty...?
Hmph. He may *look* suspicious, but I can see he has a pretty good eye.
Toko gets easily fooled too, huh...
That's right! I have a good eye for judging character. For example, just by looking at your face, I can guess the time and date of your first kiss!
Huh!? What a horrifying function!
It's...horrifying?
I mean, if you can tell that about the first kiss, then you should know...other firsts, right?
If he uses that power, he can mercilessly expose frauds who claim to be virgins!
...Huh!?
Girl power is mostly from virginity. This is why so many girls try so hard to be seen as virgins.

Oh, so that's how it works? I never knew!

But if we have this one's power, we can uncover the misdeeds of those fraudulent career women!
Th-There's no mistaking it... This power can change the world!
U-Uh... I was just giving an example...
And what does this have to do with our current situation anyway?
I guess you're right... I got a little heated there...

By the way...what are you guys doing in a place like this?
Fragile girls wandering around a dangerous place like this is a big no-no!
Wh-What? Are you going to lecture us now?
It's not our fault, we don't know where to go.
I see... So you're drifters, girls driven into a corner with nowhere to run...
If that's the case, leave it to me! I can take you to a safe place!
...Huh?
A safe place? That's quite suspicious. It's something a kidnapper would say.
You went through a lot up till now, so you have trouble trusting people. I understand.
But the world is also full of amazing people! You don't have to be so pessimistic!
Sorry, but words coming out of a Monokuma's mouth aren't exactly persuasive.
Hey, where is this safe place you're talking about?
Full disclosure? There's a secret base here underground, where adults are living in hiding.
S-Secret base?
Did you hear that, Toko? A secret base! With adults gathered there! We should go there too, right? Hey, what do you think? I mean, what should we do?
E-Even though it was hard enough to find an exit, you want to keep going through the underground?
Ah, but it's dangerous to use those stairs. There are tons of Monokumas lurking around the exit!
...Huh?
See? So wouldn't it be a smarter idea to find the secret base?
That doesn't mean this guy's telling the truth. He *is* a Monokuma, after all...
I just want to save you! If you come with me, you can see whether or not I'm telling the truth!
You hear that!? What do we do!? If you think we shouldn't, then I'll go with you, but logically...this is the best option, right!? This is the kind of chance that like, 100 out of 100 people would take!
J-Just be honest and say you want to go! Jeez, you're annoying.
F-Fine. You want me to go? Then I'll go.
Right! Then let's do that!
Alright! I'll lead, so follow me!
Yeah! I'll leave it to you, Shirokuma!

And thus, we now have Shirokuma following us around! Next time, we'll start making our way to the secret base!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So something I'm a bit confused about. Komaru's been held in this city for a year and a half, but the Towa group has controlled it for all that time. So... why'd she get kidnapped and held there if the Towa group is resisting the Despair riots?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Naegi Komaru: Ultimate Oldboy

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
So, who exactly built an AI and managed to put in a Monokuma? Not an easy thing, it took either the ultimate programmer or ultimate talent to make an AI last time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Capfalcon posted:

So something I'm a bit confused about. Komaru's been held in this city for a year and a half, but the Towa group has controlled it for all that time. So... why'd she get kidnapped and held there if the Towa group is resisting the Despair riots?

I'll just say this is something you're supposed to be confused about. We don't have the answers to that right now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

grandalt posted:

So, who exactly built an AI and managed to put in a Monokuma? Not an easy thing, it took either the ultimate programmer or ultimate talent to make an AI last time.

We don’t know yet but Chiaki and Monomi were not made by Izuru, they were made based on the already existing Alter Ego. So if you can get hold of some of Chihiro’s work, which was mostly AI stuff with Alter Ego as the greatest creation, you can probably make a pretty okay AI given an understanding of programming.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, am I understanding correctly that Chihiro made Alter Ego before the memory loss, which is the one in the NWP, but then also made another one during the game that was destroyed around Chapter 5-ish? And the NWP Chihiro made Chiaki and Usami?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, am I understanding correctly that Chihiro made Alter Ego before the memory loss, which is the one in the NWP, but then also made another one during the game that was destroyed around Chapter 5-ish? And the NWP Chihiro made Chiaki and Usami?

I'm probably not the best person to attempt to answer this because my memory is for poo poo. But one point in particular I'm not sure about is if Chihiro made two Alter Egos. Did the killing game Alter Ego survive the events? I don't recall. If it did, it would seem logical for Future Foundation to extract it from the school network and use it further.

There was something about Chiaki's "father" being a programmer in her Free Time events, but there's no real details one way or another. I re-read the Alter Ego scene from DR2, and there was no direct reference to Alter Ego being the creator of Chiaki and Usami from what I could tell.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chihiro was working on Alter Ego the entire time they were at school, and either finished or got close to finishing it before DR1. But Chihiro’s actual claim to fame was always the work they did on AI, Alter Ego is just the best one they made.

The Laptop wasn’t meant to work as you may recall, so Chihiro fixed it and then finished/compiled Alter Ego, who survived given how Makoto is saved when his execution happens. Then the Alter Ego from DR1 is taken to the Island and put in charge of the Neo-World Program, alongside Chiaki and Monomi who are made from the same base code. Alter Ego’s are learning AI that can be implemented with baseline personalities and then grow like children, hence Chiaki’s free time being a lot of her having a bizarre and eclectic mix of knowledge.

I don’t think Chihiro ever worked on the Neo-World Program directly, as it was built/finished by the Future Foundation after Chihiro’s death. But Chihiro’s Alter Ego was required for it to function at all and a lot of the code likely was taken from Chihiro’s work.

Part of the way Chihiro’s Alter Ego, and presumably Junko’s Alter Ego, worked is that it would study the person it was copying to construct the personality template. So it’s entirely possible both were being made before DR1 and then got finished during DR1. This is also why they’re both more “complete” people compared to Monomi and Chiaki who were just AI with no personality template from a living person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so now we're carting around a white Monokuma that claims to be totally on the level and totally wanting to help us. I'm with Toko, this is suspicious as gently caress. But still, our next destination is this secret base, and that lies this way.

No problem! Leave it to me!
Leave it to you...? What are you gonna do?

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

Wha--? It went inside!

Tadaaa! It's unlocked now!
Amazing! That's a pretty convenient body!
A "convenient body"? That's...a pretty strange way to put it.

And now that we've learned that Shirokuma can shimmy through these pipes to unlock doors, it's time for us to backtrack and unlock the other locked doors and grab some shiny collectibles.

The first room hides a whole bunch of dead bodies...

...and a thing!

Hrm. Guess this one is out of date now.

The other room has more dead bodies and nothing much else...

...but leads us to the collectible that was hidden behind that pit!

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

More dosh! I like it. So, let's head ba-

...oh my.

Be very, very quie-

-OH poo poo SIREN

OH GOD SHOOT EVERYTHING

Well, everything has been dealt with, but now I'm basically out of Break again. Darn it.

Our next stop will be the area we're actually supposed to go to to progress the plot.

And on that path lies a door we all know well.

Let's do this poo poo.

This is exactly the same as the last one, with the exception that the Guard Monokumas turn around in intervals, meaning we have to time it in such a way that we blast the Bomber over there with Knockback at the right time.

So we do that.

Moving on, we get a guiding UFO in an area we haven't been in before...

...which means the path it's telling us not to go to has collectibles!

H-How horrible...
Hm? Did you know this guy or something?
No... I have no idea who he is... But an adult killed by children... He didn't do anything wrong... I never get used to seeing it. It's the worst tragedy our society has ever seen...
...You're a sentimental one.
Ugh, if only... If only I had more power... If I was stronger I... I could have prevented this.
It's not your fault, Shirokuma. C'mon, cheer up.
Th-Thank you...
Strange that this guy is already so close with her...

Along the path we're supposed to go along, we find another pipe and locked door.

Shirokuma goes in...

OH GOD

...Shirokuma comes out...

...and now we get to deal with this poo poo.

Junk Monokumas can be juggled a fair bit with high power Break shots. If you get a Nice Shot with them, they get blasted back and you can just hit them in the eye again as they jump up again, meaning you can combo them to death. Now, let's enter the room.

Of course, *I* don't have to take any breaks, but I was being considerate of you ladies!
Well, thanks for the thought...
You two really are strong. Ahaha, I'm glad you aren't my enemies!
That has yet to be seen. It's not like I trust you.
But I'm really not your enemy. What do I need to do to have you guys trust me...?
You were suspicious from the start. Awfully convenient to just run into us down here...
Were you perhaps...waiting for us?
... It's true that I diiid coincidentally see you guys go down here, so I came down to wait...
Y-You see! I knew it! You were waiting for us from the start!
But it was just so I could save you! I swear! I was watching you fora bit and you seemed like you were in trouble, so I wanted to save you.
What? "Save"? We're the ones who saved *you*, remember?
...Oooh, I'm so ashamed.
But why did you want to save us?

...Huh?
There's no way I should be the only one keeping his fur white during hard times like this.
...Toko, this one is definitely...
E-Even if it is telling the truth, it's still really weird. I mean, just because it has an AI, why does that make it act different than the other Monokumas?
You can ask, but...even I'm not sure myself. The only thing I can say is that I have an AI with a personality. A special thought process. I don't know who put this AI in me, or for what purpose...
You don't even know that?
But it's the same with humans, right? They don't know where they came from and why, right?
Knowing that made me feel like... I never want to be lost! I have a heart, and I'll follow it!

...That's amazing...
Ehehe, you think so?
Don't be so impressed by some talking bear... Get a hold of yourself.
I can't help it. It's not like I'm special or anything... I'm just a normal girl.
I'm getting really tired of hearing that.

I'm glad Toko at least pointed that out once. Komaru really does like to call herself just a normal girl.

Now then! Now that that's cleared up, it's about time we move along!
It's not cleared up at all...

Huh!? We're going into the sewer!?
Yeah, the secret base is hidden there. Oh, but the other Monokumas don't know about it, so shhh!
...I've got my eye on you, bear.

Alright, time to head down into the sewers.

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

Oh hey, a shop!

There's some new stuff to buy, and I have more than enough cash to buy it, so everything gets bought.

Knockback gets boosted with the new stuff, but I can't be arsed to re-jigger the other two.

Yay, Break ammo! I can't believe getting ammo for the basic shot type is considered cause for celebration right now.

Oh my god, the Monokumas down here have little construction helmets, that's adorable.

The basic gist for the sewers is that you're going a really long way, going up ladders, down ladders, and across bridges.

And speaking of bridges...

Y-You better not say "swim"! Polluted water like this is full of...bacteria!
It'll be okay! Just leave it to me!

And thus Shirokuma pops into one pipe...

...and comes out on the other side!

But when he starts turning it...

...Monokumas pop out!

...Kyaaa!

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

So this is something new. Shirokuma is standing over there, frozen, and we need to defend him.

This is achieved by shooting Monokumas a lot. They keep popping up from the left and right and we just gotta keep shooting them. Thankfully, they don't instantly break for Shirokuma and instead occasionally stop in place, which makes setting up Nice Shots easier.

Eventually, they stop coming, and Shirokuma can extend the bridge so we can progress.

Next up, there's a veritable cornucopia of Monomono machines, and they all have ammo! Quite a lot, in fact - 10 Dance and Knockback shots, and 26 Break shots!

Also, there's some paint cans. And what did the game tell us is also there when there's paint cans?

Hidden grafitti! It's a present, so I guess we should maybe send Shirokuma into that pipe? Let's try it.

And indeed, when he comes back out, he has a present!

It's a collectible!

Looks like the Warriors have written a blurb for the back of the box of their imaginary video game.

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

We find another present in a pipe off the beaten path.

Useful, but not necessarily to me.

There's also some set pieces teaching you to use Knockback to hit enemies into the sewer water. Almost like we're going to need that in a bit.

Next up, we have a pipe with a Monokuma on it. What does that mean?

It means that when we send Shirokuma in it, a plain Monokuma comes out. Not exactly a harsh punishment.

Another collectible!

Why did it have to be the one *nice* file that gets messed up? It's always been like that for me. The one day I go outside, it rains... Whenever I drop money, it's always the highest bill...
It's like Murphy's Law. The more expensive the item, the more likely it is to break. When you wash your car, it rains. It's not a scientific theory or anything. It's just a theory popularized by pessimists.
A-Are you saying that I must believe in that law because I'm so negative and gloomy!? You're saying I can't be a little self-conscious, even though I'm ugly!?
I-I didn't say that at all! I just wanted to give you a bit of trivia about an interesting idea, that's all...
None of your business! And if you're going to teach me something, make it more useful next time!
Hm? Information more useful to you?
For example, just what the hell *are* you!? Let's assume it's true that you really have no idea why you have an AI loaded inside you... Because you have consciousness, you should be able to explain what happened up till now, in detail.
...Well, I don't mind explaining, but... Promise me one thing, first?
...Promise?
What I'm going to tell you will sound...fishy. But if you promise you'll believe me, I'll talk.
So you're not going to talk unless we promise? Sounds like a threat.
I just don't want to be doubted...
Fine. We "promise." Even if you tell us something crazy, we'll believe you.
Thank you!
Then I'll give you the truth. The day I awoke was the first day of the violence, when the Monokumas began their attack. It was right here, just above us... I saw Monokumas attacking adults, and I thought...
...I have to do something! I painted my body white, and covered my red eye, and found a spot the children don't know about. I made the secret base there. Every time I found an adult, I brought them back there to hide.
So you just happened to wake up on the very day the riots start. It's fishy alright. Even a kid would assume you and the Monokumas have the same origin.
But I'm pure white inside, just like this body...
You just painted yourself.
You feel like confessing? That you're a spy?
Y-You promised that you wouldn't doubt me!
Hmph, there's no way I'd keep a verbal promise to a mechanical bear.
Ugh, this is why I didn't want to tell you...
Even I think it sounds a bit strange, but... Right now, the only thing we can do is believe him.
Believe in a Monokuma? I'd put more faith in a sham marriage.

Moving on, we get to another bridge that we can't get across.

It's alright! Once again, just leave it to me!
Y-Yeah, I thought you'd say that... I have a bad feeling about this...

Shirokuma heads over again...

...and just like last time, Monokumas show up.

Why do you look so happy about that!?

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

So this one is a bit more complicated than the other one. Now we have Bombers standing on these islands and other Monokumas moving in to attack Shirokuma on the sides. The play is of course to use Knockback, hit the Bombers into the other Monokumas, and kill two with one shot.

At times you also need just need to shoot the Monokumas on the side yourself.

And in the end, the game even drops a Junk Monokuma on you. Can't imagine what you'd have to do if you botched the Knockback shot, it must be hell to kill a tough enemy like that from that long a distance. Thankfully, I don't gently caress up, for once. With all the enemies dealt with, Shirokuma extends the bridge again.

This brings us to another ladder, and that...

...leads into a Monoku-Man room!

This one is pretty simple. We have a Siren walking left and right, and we have a Junk just sitting there. The solution is easy - wait for the Siren to move in front of the pit, hit it with Dance, which attracts the Junk, blast both with Knockback into the pit.

Easy-peasy!

The room here also holds another collectible.

It's the thoughts of a man whose wife was killed by his own daughter, and they're really depressing again! Yay!

Moving on, we get a guiding UFO and promptly ignore it again, because ignoring it means we get to enjoy one of our favorite pasttimes again!

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

I don't really get it, but... Why not try going inside them, one after the other?
W-Wouldn't that be dangerous? What if those kids booby-trapped them or something?
0h, then I guess ignoring it for now is best.

Looking around, we find a kid. And what does it have for us?

A challenge!

Komaru already has her loving gameface on. She's ready to own the poo poo out of some random kid.

Looks like we have to solve the riddle this kid is going to give us. To what I can discern, you get an item if you're right, and Monokumas attack you if you're wrong...
Sounds like a pretty lovely game to me. Let's just ignore the brat and turn around.
Wouldn't that just be running away from this kid's challenge?
It would be shameful!
...Why do you care so much about this!?

♪ Jingle: Challenge from a Child

The question and answers are also written on the wall using the Detect paint. Anyway, this is a really simple puzzle, and the answer is C. We send Shirokuma into that pipe, and...

...present! So, now what does Komaru do?

She immediately starts running...

...and rubs it in.

Boo hoo...

And with that, the kid bails.

Heck yeah! I'll never lose against kids!
...Yeah I sure hope not.

So, what is our reward?

A Socki The Sock page. OK.

Backtracking, we make it to this more open rounded area with a ladder. And when we approach it...

Th-There's supposed to be a secret base *here*? I knew it, you tricked us!
Omaru, don't hold back! Shoot this traitor!
N-No! You're wrong! The secret base is up here when you climb the ladder! C'mon, follow me.

And Shirokuma climbs up the ladder.

Wh-What do you think you're doing!? You have to climb the ladder first!
...Huh? Why's that?
We might both be girls, but I'd die if you saw my underwear!
Well then, even if I see them on accident, I'll be sure not to tell you!

Alas, Toko, Genocide Jack already took care of that problem, given that one of her special attacks is basically a Spinning Bird Kick, a move that goes remarkably badly with skirts. Good thing they don't share memories I suppose.

Anyway, since this update has been going on for a bit, we'll be checking out the secret base next time.