Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As I said during my DR1 and 2 LPs, I do not like this game. While the character interactions are good, I think the plot fails to do anything important in the DR universe, one scene in particular soured me on the whole thing, and the actual gameplay of it isn't that great either. But, I only played it once. I'm willing to entertain the notion that it's a little better than I remember my only playthrough three years ago being. So count me in as a viewer. I want to see why you like the game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blue Labrador posted:

God I love the games and their charm to bits but I hate the world building of the first two games so so so much

As much as I love the craziness, the series is definitely at its strongest when it's focusing on the events of the individual games and not the world surrounding them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know this specific game well, but having heard what people said about it, if you want to get 'into' Danganronpa, this specific game is prob one of the worst starting points.

I'd agree with that assessment. It's really nothing like the other games that people talk the most about except for tone, and even then the tone isn't totally the same either. In my opinion, the best place to get into the series is still the very first game, even if I think DR2 and V3 are better games overall.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TheMcD posted:

I'm also typing up a recap update for DR1 and DR2 that will hopefully get people up to speed somewhat.

If you want to include any images of the first two games, such as the cast or locations or whatever, feel free to grab any of the screenshots from my LPs and use them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When I originally played this game for myself, my first reaction when I saw Nagito there was basically "oh for gently caress's sake not Nagito again!"

I'll give the game that at least. Putting Nagito in will probably make for a fun time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Even if they aren't from a specific game, they are definitely supposed to be an RPG class analogue.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blue Labrador posted:

Every time I see a picture of Nagito I remember that the character artist for this series has apparently never encountered human hair before

I dunno, some days I wake up and my hair isn't that far off.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Toko was definitely my least favorite character in DR1, but I found Genocide JillJack to be relatively ok because she was at least pretty funny. This game has problems, but making Toko into a decent character is not one of them. I can at least give it that credit.

Also I much prefer Genocide Jill as a name and it's too bad the localisations basically dropped that after DR1.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The DR devs were really ahead of their time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If I remember right, she got famous for writing sailor romance novels and kickstarted a trashy teen romance trend.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

TheMcD posted:

...hang on. That's not right.

God drat it TheMcD

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And here we see the first of many reasons I dislike this game's plot. Specifically, how it handles Yuta's "execution" compared to the rest of the series' murders. In the span of one update, about 10-15 minutes in the game, we are introduced to Yuta and then witness his death. There is absolutely no time for the player to get attached to this character in any sense and his death feels cheap and arbitrary, like nothing more than the developers suddenly remembering "hey we're making a danganronpa game, that means we have to kill cast members". In DR1 and 2, the player spends a good few hours with every single character before anyone dies in Chapter 1, leaving way more time for them to start getting attached to even the earliest murder victim. It's why the tension of knowing a murder would occur soon and hoping and praying it wasn't going to be a character you liked and had spent time with would be the next to die was so good in the previous games. The games were ripping apart your relationships with the characters by killing them off right in front of you after you'd spent time to get to know them. The same can't be said of this scene and it's really disappointing. Going into this update, I didn't even remember Yuta's name, just his relationship.

His death would be much stronger if he were treated as a recurring character and died at some point later in the story. Instead, he's nothing more than a story reminder that the bracelet on Komaru will explode if she tries to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I suppose it's also that the previous two games are all about building those character relationships to the point where you could argue the majority of each game's plot revolves around the way the characters interact with one another. Expendable characters don't really exist in the games (unless you're Junko killing Mukuro). It might also be a matter of timing for me, since when I played UDG for the first time I'd just come off playing 1 and 2 within the last month. The whiplash of a character with an important connection to a previous game dying 15 minutes after meeting them just left a bad taste in my mouth given the way characters had usually been handled in this series to that point.

I also don't think keeping him around for a while longer would've hurt the game. He doesn't even need to join our party or anything. He could be like Luis in Resident Evil 4, who runs into the player multiple times, does his own things important to the plot, and then gets killed halfway through the game. Luis isn't an amazing character or anything, but his death is very sudden and right after he accomplishes something important for the player. I'm not saying Yuta should've survived the game, I'm just saying that the specific way the game chose to kill him off felt poorly executed, and was probably the first point at which I started to feel a bit weird about the game as I played it.