Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My favourite random funfact about this game is that while Danganronpas 1 and 2 are consistent in their use of the verbiage "The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History" to describe the big despair event, Ultra Despair Girls frequently refers to it as "The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind", which is what it was called in orenronen's translation LP of DR1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ultrafilter posted:

So everyone's fine with all that, but this game inspires groans? What are we in for here?

The thing you gotta understand about Danganronpa is that the setting is nuts and the aesthetic is anime af and the localisation is honestly kinda average but the appeal of the thing is the rounded, relatable cast of characters and the fact that it is one of the very very few golden-age style closed circle murder mystery series left on this Earth. This and Phoenix Wright are basically it; it's not that there aren't other murder mysteries out there, but that very few of them hew this close to the method of presenting an attention-grabbing crime and then unravelling it, one deduction at a time.

UDG is unable to leverage these strengths because rather than being a diminishing-cast murder mystery game it is an okay-ish 3D action shooter. Also, notably, UDG features a number of literal children in its cast, and while the numbered entries have never been particularly shy about having some hosed up backstories for its teenage cast, UDG has a couple of razor blades in its gum, so to speak. All in good time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing you have got to understand about Nagito's Wild Ride is that while it's great and amazing and kind of awe-inspiring in retrospect and you have just got to hand it to Nagito loving Komaeda, what really makes it incredible is that it plays out in a completely straight one-deduction-at-a-time murder mystery in which every single new detail hits with the force of a lesser plot's Single Climactic Twist, which culminates in what by all rights outside of context ought to be the dumbest question ever asked of the reader murder mystery; "how many sides does an octagon have" "how about you guess who the culprit is", and that one idiotic loving prompt achieves the same gut-wrenching impact and effortless majesty of MGS3 demanding you pull the trigger on The Boss. It is, no joke, the most impressed I have ever been with a linear plot in a video game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SoundwaveAU posted:

"Omaru" means "toilet" in Japanese, so there's a nice little double meaning here that doesn't really translate across.

This... explains some things.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god it's extremely obvious (if only implicitly so) that nobody is taking about UDG in those black bars. We are not robots, we understand that a thread can say "absolutely no spoilers" and end up validly having a conversation about something else that warrants tags. So much the less problematic if it's the OP of both threads doing so. I wouldn't have advised it personally but it's their thread. Please everyone chill about this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheMcD posted:

Um, there's a special radio all over the city, that's raspberry, and we use this...thing...
...Wow, you suck.
0h! The jammer? If we get to the top of this tower, we might be able to get through!
...You actually understood that!?

I forgot about the earlier lines where Komaru doesn't seem to understand what "jamming" means and goes from that to raspberry, which, as a confusion wordplay, kinda works in that direction, but it really doesn't work in reverse, does it? It doesn't seem right that anyone should be able to understand it. I suspect it worked a lot better in the original Japanese.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ah, I've missed this "I'm going to jail" feeling.

Wait. Actually, I extremely haven't.

I'm a big fan of how the game keeps implicitly saying "wow, isn't this hosed up?!" so as to effectively disclaim itself from objections to its objectionable content.

Wait. Actually, I'm extremely not.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 20, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sometimes, the localisation decisions are Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

mycelia posted:

Granted the image quality's not great, but here: ('Komaru' in hiragana, and then what I assume is 'Makoto', but I genuinely can't read it. The only part I can clearly read is the 'Ko' in Komaru)

I don't wanna bag on the localisation team too much, but this happened in the first game too, with Syo's signature message. I know it's significantly more effort to make something look legitimately scribbled in blood than it is to put some filters on a font and call it a day, but it does kind of lessen the impact.

It's not that much effort. Below is the version from the DR1 translation patch that never was. In the official translation, the message looked like it was stencilled on.