Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Danganronpa is as subtle as a sledgehammer, which works for the crazy characters and events but makes for bad worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Don't forget to pepper 'hope' and 'despair' in so heavily that it basically becomes meaningless.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the localization she told everyone to call her 'Hina', part of her family name. Probably because it was really hard for the voice actors to pronounce Aoi. The English actress for Aoi pronounced her given name once and it sounded awful.
The localization does these weird shortened-name nicknames a lot. Ishimaru gets called 'Taka', for instance.

I'm not sure how much of that is voice actors having trouble with the names and how much is the localizers underestimating how used the audience(especially considering DR was originally only on the Vita, the VN system for huge goddamn nerds) is to Japanese names.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blue Labrador posted:

Every time I see a picture of Nagito I remember that the character artist for this series has apparently never encountered human hair before
Welcome to anime hairstyles, enjoy your stay.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also note that Toko's genre is romance novels.

She's basically famous for 50 Shades of Grey except it's not a thinly disguised fanfic in this universe. (as far as we know)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

You're tired? You don't reallv look like it, Toko.

FPzero posted:

God drat it TheMcD
Is it Loss? I'm not sure what it is, so I'm going to assume it's Loss.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
IIRC, it gets so weird that idols can be in serious career danger if there's even strong rumors of them getting a boyfriend. Japanese idol culture is nuts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There's something hilarious in seeing the girl who spends a lot of DR1 going "I know I'm a gross disgusting pig! I bet you hate me!" interact with the Warrior of Hope who keeps being gross(although he doesn't know it) and wants you to hate him. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
She's a character from Root Double, which McD has also LPed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Like Clockwork posted:

...I do not have faith in the game's ability to handle the subject matter it just presented.
I'll have Words about this later, but to keep it to non-spoiler stuff for now:

The game's already been...not that great at making us sympathize with these victims of child abuse. It's especially glaring with Masaru and Jataro, since you spend several hours dealing with them as annoying murderous brats, and "oh hey, here's the horrible abuse they suffered" is thrown out about 5 minutes before they die. These revelations aren't reacted to much by our protagonists before they get on with the fighting, either. It comes off as the writers doing a cheap sympathy ploy instead of them dealing with a serious issue tactfully(as tactfully as DR can do anything, anyway).

I can think of a couple ways that could have been handled better(utilize Komaru as the normal person reacting with appropriate horror while Toko's too numbed by all the poo poo she's already seen to care, spend more time on the "that's horrible, but you're trying to kill us so we still have to fight back" angle, etc), but the DR writing team aren't really the people to do it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah, you'll note that McD conveniently skipped over any screenshots of actually playing the minigame. :v:

Psycho Knight posted:

That is weird. From what I've seen, the gameplay itself doesn't look bad. It looks like a pretty good game overall.
As someone who's had the misfortune of playing this: The gameplay isn't bad, but it's really tedious. It'd be even more tedious if you're doing what McD's doing and avoiding using Genocider unless the game forces you to.

Basically all of the good stuff in this game is the interactions between Komaru and Toko, and the actual plot is sloppy at best and creepy at worst(as we're seeing here).

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 21, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Nagito's bullshit luck would probably spare his life anyway. (Not that Komaru and Toko have any reason to know that)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mister Olympus posted:

Seacats has a fully thought-out and developed theme and message planned from square one, the only real throughline I've been able to sift out of Daggum Ronpaul is a really strong desire to make the player uncomfortable for no other purpose than "games don't make people uncomfortable enough"

This isn't entirely a bad thing, honestly. If nothing else I applaud the chutzpah, and it's often less eye-rollingly edgy than you'd think with that premise.
In theory, DR is a commentary on the extreme pressures Japanese society places on students, especially high school students(formed in part by a system where the university you get into more or less determines the course of your entire career).

In practice it spends most of its time doing what you said.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Toko and Komaru are both younger than 18. Haiji's complaint is that they're not young enough for him. Do the disgusting math.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It doesn't help that "Actually I'm an implied pedophile" is a "gag" coming after a chapter about a sexually assaulted child.
And it's met with a brief "ew, gross" before moving on. DR: UDG, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Skip.

I liked Komaru's boundless enthusiasm for dunking on small children after solving their puzzles. Shame we didn't see as much of that towards the end.