Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

God I love the games and their charm to bits but I hate the world building of the first two games so so so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Every time I see a picture of Nagito I remember that the character artist for this series has apparently never encountered human hair before

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Okay I'm not gonna lie I'm actually really digging Komaru as a protagonist, she's already my fav protagonist outside of v3. Her voice actor's doing good and I really respect how civil she's remaining. Also in terms of her freaking out.... I get it man.

Also I'm interested in where this goes with Toko. When I played DR1 I could never tell if I loved her or hated her

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Hahaha

Collecting book snippets to activate banter is actually hilarious

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Solitair posted:

The movie that came out two and a half years after this game? Sounds legit.

You don't understand just how META the Danganronpa franchise really is, do you?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Komaru's voice actor is like, really good lol.

Also Sexy Byakuya responding to your rank is legitimately hilarious, that's awesome

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

TheMcD posted:

Everyone got killed. The sound of the chanting, the screaming like dogs beinq choked, never leaves my ears. Everyone got killed. Everyone got killed. Devils. They're devils in the bodies of children. drat devils! drat devils! drat devils! drat devils! drat devils! drat devils! drat devils! I want to grind down your organs, your heart, liver, your kidneys, everything, into dust. I want to throw you all into a blender and turn you all to sloshy livestock feed. I want to stab your eyeballs with a pencil until I can write with your blood. I want to boil you alive in a pressure cooker until your screams stop. I want to squeeze your little bodies until blood leaks from every pore on your skin. I want to slash open the wombs of the mothers that birthed you and stuff you back in.

...loving Christ almighty.
Man, even if the destinations the Dangaronpa series reaches aren't always...fully fleshed out, it's hard not to love the ride.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Jataro could probably use some Ritalin.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

I wouldn't be surprised if this game sucks

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Man I don't know exactly why but I really do like Komaru as a protagonist. That's definitely a really big charm point of the game.

I still stand by that every game in the Danganronpa series would be objectively better if they committed to making every one an actual anthology piece. Trying to connect them all (for the most part, there are actually some instances that I really dig but spoilers) just draw away from the tight execution of each game. Especially Junko. Junko is so incredibly lame. The only good thing about her is that one anime dub where they straight up make her a tumblr girl the entire time.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought she was a Valley Girl in the anime.

Well, yeah, but saying poo poo like "yass queen" is pretty tumblr/internet-y, so it's either a bit of both or they're kinda the same thing

E: McD McD Yas Kween

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Those poor voice actors...

"We're gonna need you to give us a variety of eroticized moans and objections. Your character is being sexually assaulted by a child. No, it's not really smart enough to justify being in there. We'll be paying you $9 an hour."

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

McTimmy posted:

Toko Toki
Come on man spread the love

Okay Monaca is the only villain I might be warming up to. She has that good ol', sado-manipulative Danganronpa charm!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

If nothing else, we actually see her be the antagonist during the game

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Haiji's always had an angry face when talking about Monaca thus far, so I'd imagine not.
Yeah I can't imagine a man lusting and resenting an object of lust at the same time, especially when said attraction has a whole bunch of social stigma around it

Glibness aside, casually revealing Haiji's pedophilia and then never bringing it up again would embody the haphazard spirit of Danganronpa writing...

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

I liked that dating advice conversation; it was charmingly biting. I feel like Danganronpa has great potential for making a cutting feminist/gender-queer focused script if it didn't go for things like, say, a molestation mini-game.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

curiousCat posted:

Kotoko's voice actress is killing it.

Yeah dude she had some chilling rear end deliveries in that last cutscene. I feel like the plot is absolutely falling apart but the VAs are doing magnificently.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if you're starting to think Despair and Hope look like stupid buzzwords with no meaning that's intentional, Dangan Ronpa sort of pivots into the meaningless of these big ideas that have no actual bearing on people's lives or happiness if they're ignored.

If this is true I would definitely like to believe it and would take back some things I've said about the franchise, but--and maybe I'm missing something obvious on my part--I'd really enjoy an explanation or showing of evidence from the games to support this or a link to a source that does so (if possible of course!) before fully buying into it

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Thanks for the LP TheMcD. In the end I'm definitely not a fan of this game, but I appreciate the boldness, and aside from Komaru and the voice acting, I really appreciate the use of books as pick up items to create conversation asides. Reminds me of the joke books in Last of Us, but with a wider breadth of topics and character moments available.

Solitair posted:

It's definitely my favorite Danganronpa game. I'm still learning the ropes of how to make a hybrid LP, but mine will be ready to start by the time TheMcD wraps up DR3 coverage, if not sooner.
DRV3 is definitely my favorite game of the series, but I recently had difficulty selling my coworker on that without delving into spoilers. A lot of polish went into that one, excited to see you take it on!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

I will say that I think the "forbidden action" system in the Future Foundation episodes is a pretty clever take on the Killing Game and I think brings out a lot of potential for fun. I do wish things didn't immediately dip into action sequences, because I think it's fair to say DR does character drama and interaction way better, but you know. The farmer immediately dying sucks too since I really like his design, but I guess that just means his death did what it was meant to do.

Sonia's a real homie in the games and so far the classmate interactions are pretty cute. Plus I'll always be a fan of Hiyoko being an absolute turbo-bitch.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Quicksilver6 posted:

I still donít quite grasp how the concepts of hope and despair are used in this series, as if they are religions. This whole thing is a metaphor for Japanese culture demanding exceptional performance, right? So is the hope/despair thing about what that pressure does?

I'm not entirely sure myself so I'm kind of spitballing here, but I feel like it might be fair to say that--through this lens--the hope/despair thing being ultimately presented as a false dichotomy plays to the idea of young people being shunted to base their self-worth on a similar success/failure binary.

I don't know how that interacts with what these animes will reveal, but I think that's a fair take on Komaru's and Hajime's arcs in the games.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

I know it's technically an ensemble class, but I actually really dig Hajime as side character quite a bit. His I didn't expect his whole rational, detective shtick to translate well to an anime, but it is super fun to see it get played out from a more third party angle than the games allowed, even for a single episode. I really hope Izuru brings a fun dynamic to replace that, though. I didn't really like that twist in the game

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

They should've gone whole hog and just done Danganronpa 3: Arena Ultimax Side.

They already have Yu Narukami.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- I'm pretty sure Toko's fantasy is referencing Revolutionary Girl Utena. At the very least, Byakuya riding in on the hood of that car reminded me a lot of Akio.

Oh 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

~Breathe in Breathe Out~

If ya ICED UP
Pull ya SLEEVES OUT

You know, I think I'm agree that these anime series are just damaging the narrative of the games if taken as anything more than face value, but there's definitely parts I like.
  • I think the idea of "forbidden actions" is actually very cool and engaging, especially when they're evenly spread across "broad" and "extremely pointed" like they are here. It gives viewers something fun to (try to) deduce and it allows for opportunities to make real interesting scenarios/visual compositions, or dynamic conflict/fight scenes with strongly specific terms. I don't think the series has really sold that to its full extent, but I really appreciate and like what's there (e. g. Makoto piggybacking off Aoi is an efficient visual metaphor for Makoto's feelings of inadequacy and dependence, Ruruka threatening to step on Seiko's shadow across a glass wall is dope...)

• Kyoko's death condition being let Makoto survive and going through with it after a pep talk is pretty dang cute and solidly tragic, especially because it reflects Makoto sacrificing himself for her in the first game, and showcases about why she as a person could develop legitimate feelings for him. It does feel like a cheap, comic-booky, way to kill a character, but I felt like Kyoko was pretty flat in the first game, and I enjoy seeing the show trying to strengthen this dimension of her character, so I dig it and see where this goes.

• It's still Danganronpa and can be very aesthetically pleasing.

I like this shot a lot! I think it shows off Junko's playful character and Dada-nihilism in a way that's both minimal and loud, and I think the composition is fun and uses empty space pretty well. Maybe it's different in motion, but this still at least sells it. Plus I think the Monokuma-Last Supper gag is great too. DanganRonpa just knows how to look nice!

But yeah I don't really dig the greater narrative and the series' feel kinda pointless so far. I'm really enjoying this thread, thank you for the hard work!