Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

These Japanese anime visual novel/RPG/whatever games are usually my jam. They almost always deliver on one of two things for me: happily ever after style romantic conclusions (which I'm a sucker for), or weirdness/being overly convoluted and leaning into it HARD. Unfortunately I missed the boat on some of these series for various reasons. I think Danganronpa was because I was burnt out on 999 and later Virtue's Last Reward. It's just a series I never hopped on board with when it first came out.

So I'm here largely because this series has looked interesting, but it's a bit too late for me to try and catch up with it all. Also, people SSLP'ing Japanese games of any kind is usually hilarious.

I don't know this specific game well, but having heard what people said about it, if you want to get 'into' Danganronpa, this specific game is prob one of the worst starting points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I certainly hope this LP is worth it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

My favourite random funfact about this game is that while Danganronpas 1 and 2 are consistent in their use of the verbiage "The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History" to describe the big despair event, Ultra Despair Girls frequently refers to it as "The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind", which is what it was called in orenronen's translation LP of DR1.

For those who don't know, Orenronen's translation LP here on the forum, the one that drew in millions of tumblrites, is probably the one thing that gave DR1 enough attention in the west to get it localized at all. I remember that early on during that LP, consensus was that "this game is just too much based in Japanese humour, it'll never get localized". But the LP showed that westerners were massively interested.

quote:

- Aoi Asahina: Ultimate Swimming Pro. Plucky and bubbly, she has a love for donuts so strong it could be considered a primary character trait. Ends up taking the deaths of the other students much harder than the others, to the point that when Sakura commited suicide and Monokuma produced a fake suicide note claiming she did it because she had fallen into despair, Aoi tries to set herself up as the killer in order to take everybody else down with her. She got better, though. Survives.
In the localization she told everyone to call her 'Hina', part of her family name. Probably because it was really hard for the voice actors to pronounce Aoi. The English actress for Aoi pronounced her given name once and it sounded awful.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Because really, you're not going to do much with this many killer robots surrounding you.

Isn't this a scene straight from The Matrix?

Edit:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

namehereguy posted:

Toko in DR1 was on the list of characters I wanted to shut the hell up during trials, while Genocider was perpetually entertaining.

Yes but if Genocider's laughs are all voice-acted this is gonna get on my nerves fast.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, Komaru asked Toko how she knew that Byakuya was caught... but didn't Komaru literally tell Toko this when they first met? Plot hole ahoy?

Also I want to see how Toko's fantasy memories played out from Byakuya's perspective.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Also, I kinda think Yuta's voice is annoying and I'm therefore not really irked that he gets murdered immediately.

It annoyed me that he sounds exactly the same as one of the kids on the airship.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Note that that leader of the resistance person also called them "devils". I feel he might've written that on a bad day.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Stop posting.

The OP clearly says: "No spoilers and no spoiler tags."

I don't even care what your spoilers are, above my post there are now 5 posts that are really annoying to read because they're full of censorship bars and clicking them all is more annoying than anything.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

One of those people is the OP and they're discussing a different LP in spoiler tags which have nothing to do with this game. Admittedly it's still kind of annoying but your reaction is very unnecessary.

Then take it to its own thread, PMs, Discord, or whatever?

Edit:

TheMcD posted:

I will be anal about this.

So will I, if it helps prevent this thread from turning into an unreadable mess.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 6, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Because that's what Makoto would believe.

WWMD

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Note that his right side is more a dark grey than a full black. Certainly looks like it could be painted.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

That question is: "Who is going to become The Successor?".

Hiro Hagakure.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

There's even an issue on the Github for Scarlet that states that UDG's PC version does the textures slightly differently and therefore the extraction doesn't work, and there's a fix for the code listed, but it hasn't been implemented. So I'm not seeing a way forward here.
This means there's a solution.

I found the issue you're referring to and if that fix does indeed solve it, it's a question of cloning the git repo, applying the fix, and recompiling the program to make an UDG-specific version for your usage.

I'd help you out but it's a C# project and I'm not familiar with the C# environment at all. But this would be very easy to do for any C# developer, so if you can find one to help you out that'd do the trick.

Edit: I asked someone on IRC if they can try, so hold on...

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reading the issue in more detail (it's here for others who might care: https://github.com/xdanieldzd/Scarlet/issues/8 ), there seem to be two different issues:
1. For the .btx files, the header is different, and you can't decrypt them because of that.
2. For .shtx files, the colors are off.

Now, for issue 1, it seems you can fix that by hand.

I downloaded the Examples.zip in the first post in that issue thread and opened the file called "Example-DDS1DDS.decompressed.btx". If you can get your hands on a decompressed file like that, you're most of the way there.

Open that file in a text editor such as Notepad, Notepad++ or Sublime Text. You should see a whole lot of hexadecimal code. If it starts out with '4444 5331 4444' you got the right file! Just remove the '4444 5331 ' from the start of the file, save it change the extension to .dds and you should got a file you can open.
(In case you're wondering "4444 5331" is hex for that DDS1 string that is wrong according to that post)

If you CAN'T get the decompressed file that starts with '4444 5331' because you can't even decompress the compressed .btx file at all, things will be harder. In that case it MIGHT work to open the compressed .btx file in a text editor, look for the same code (44445331, there might be some spaces between the numbers), and delete that. Then try decompressing it and changing the file extension to .dds. If that doesn't work I'm kinda out of options.

Then for part 2, the colour problem with the .shtx files, the person on IRC just made a special build of the program that should solve it. This build cannot be used for any game other than DR:UDG PC version.
However, they had to guess where to change the code exactly and had no good way of testing it, so they just sent me the new program. I will PM you a link to the special build of the program, can you let me know if it works?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 19, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dangit Ronpaul really is something else

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, is there any dialogue or anything in the non-standard game over triggered by breaking the controller early?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for showing off this game, it was quite the ride.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe the new killing game is just a game of Mafia. Very original, Monokuma.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

At this point, I might as well sell myself as a window for how transparent I've gotten.

Yeah, this thing, more than anything else I've tried for an LP, is my ultimate "fly by the seat of my pants" project. I hardly ran this by anyone and sure as gently caress didn't do a test post or something like that, I'm just freestyling and hoping people can follow along. With mixed success, as you noticed. Still, I'm just going to power through, drat the torpedoes. I haven't abandoned an LP yet, and by god, this won't be the thing to beat me.

I also find this format difficult to follow.

It would help me a lot if you could just write a 2-line summary at the end of every update or every couple updates.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks!

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Oh, apropos of nothing, here's something I wanted to post for a while now that we've been done with UDG: A translated lyrics video for Let's Play With Monokuma. The lyrics are... something special.

Hahaha, this is something else for sure.