Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
My favourite detail in this episode is the fact that Ultimate Gangster Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu is one of the handful of students who show up to class. I love that he always tries very hard to look like he doesn't care and almost manages it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

TheMcD posted:

One of the two was going to be dead within like fifteen minutes, I'm pretty sure. Given his annoyance at being unable to see Junko's end for himself, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to actually make it happen himself.

Nagito considers himself an unworthy person, though, so perhaps he'd think that someone like him killing Junko wouldn't be a moment of true hope.

Come to think of it, they're both characters who prefer to achieve their goals by influencing other people. Nagito's luck causes a talented person to fall through the ceiling and become stuck in the room with them. Nagito tries to manipulate the newcomer into killing Junko for hope; Junko tries to manipulate them into killing Nagito for despair. (It's a shame Hajime doesn't have the talent to qualify, because he's probably the character who'd have the most entertaining breakdown in that situation.)

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Hajime and Mahiru are two of my favourite Danganronpa characters, and I was stoked when he tried to get into the main course building to talk to her and then bitterly disappointed when he was prevented (thanks, Juzo). I don't think they even exchanged any words when they were both in the same scene earlier on! The lack of Hajime interacting with people from Chisa's class (other than Chiaki) is generally a bit of a shame, although I suppose Hajime feeling isolated might be necessary for him to make his eventual decision.

Hajime's interactions with Natsumi are interesting, at least. I don't know what it's like in the dub, but I loved their first meeting in the subs I watched:

Natsumi: I bet you have no friends! Not that I do either.
Hajime: Well, no, not if you say hello like that.

It's tragic that Hajime, who doesn't really seem to have any friends in the Reserve Course, starts to understand and connect with Natsumi a tiny bit after their initial hostility, just enough to be cut up over her death.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, don't get me wrong, I know Nagito weaponizes his luck. It's just that this situation seems so nonsensical to just be like "Well, I'll trust my luck." He literally only has to ask a question.

You make a reasonable point, but it contains one error: expecting Nagito 'better stab my own legs forty times for flimsy reasons' Komaeda to make a rational decision.

In all seriousness, you're right; the premise of this episode is implausible and silly, and I feel you're also right to think the anime leans more heavily on Komaeda's luck than the game. But I can forgive a bit of farce, given that Danganronpa's always been fairly ridiculous, and Komaeda's luck actually gives a sort of basis for farce to occur.

Also, we get a giant dog out of it.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Our boy Juzo is the hardest turnaround I've ever done on a fictional character. I hated him at first! He was a violent dick to both Makoto and Hajime, two of my favourite Danganronpa characters! (For some reason I've got a real weakness for the bland protagonists in this series.)

And yet, by this point, he'd become by far my favourite thing to come out of Danganronpa 3. I love this angry, self-loathing mess who's so bad at decision-making that his gay crush literally ended the world, and I'm sad that he didn't get his moment with Kyosuke in the end. At least he managed to make one good decision at the last moment.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- Considering this is almost immediately before DR1, I hate how Mukuro just is like "Yeah, I'll kill Makoto. It's no big deal." considering how her Free Time Events went.

I don't speak Japanese, so I can't speak for which is more accurate myself, but I've seen Mukuro's line about Makoto in this episode translated as both 'do you want me to kill him?' (which, I agree, doesn't seem to fit what we see of Mukuro in other materials) and as 'are you going to kill him?' (which makes a lot more sense; Makoto is pretty much the only person we know Mukuro actually cares about, other than Junko, so I can see her nervously asking that when Junko starts to get frustrated).

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

TheMcD posted:

- Finally, before we finish this, there's one more thing. I promised you a compilation video, and I keep my promises. Now, this video gets automatically blocked on Youtube, so instead, I had to find an alternative host and settled on Mega.

This is magnificent and I'm so glad you took the time to put it together. Junko in particular is a joy. (I'm also glad you included Komaeda clasping Naegi's hand and fawning alarmingly over him, which is one of my favourite moments in the entire franchise.)

Rith fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Everyone else has already expressed the many legitimate problems with this anime, so I'm just going to drop my personal petty grievance in here: we don't get to see the reunion of the Naegi siblings! We just get 'oh, yeah, Komaru's here too' at the very end, but we never see the moment she and Makoto meet again, or even the two of them in the same shot. I'd been looking forward to their reunion since Komaru first made contact with Makoto in UDG; it could have been a great moment, after everything they've been through to survive and see each other again. Given the nature of the series, I thought there was a chance they'd never meet again, but it's not as if they're minor characters; I hadn't thought they'd meet again and the series would just skip over it!