Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My view of this game might be influenced by the previous threads, but uh...

The literal second scene of the game features a little girl taking her shirt off.

Classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Shoot the only reason anyone gives a crap about that scene at all is that they gave him a face and a name, and ones that refer back to a character that had an entire game of character development.

Like change him out for a generic adult sprite/model or a future foundation guy and the rest of the scene plays exactly the same. Would anyone have honestly been bothered at that point?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Do any of those randos have the bracelets? Doesn't it have something to do with the family or important people being trapped in the city or whatnot? I could have sworn there was some detail about why our heroine, specifically, was locked up.

The scene wouldn't have worked without an 'important' character if that was the case, since only they have bracelets. Although I guess you could have changed it to be a swarm of Scuba Monokuma's or something. When the scene started that was honestly what I was expecting. Thought some type of amphibious Mono's were going to pop out.

Nah the bracelet was put on when we met the kids in charge. It's to keep us in the city while they play "the most dangerous game." So anybody that cheesed them off personally could be running around with one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Right, so this scene would have had to involve a 'face and name' character in order to work and have anything approaching an impact. That's what I thought.

Unless Aqua Monokuma, but then the characters wouldn't have been properly afraid of the bracelets.

Yeah, but that face could just be a random non shilloute person and the name could be babysitter. The actual person involved in that scene isn't important, just that they too are trapped and hunted. And go boom to show not to mess with the bracelets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We never saw the body, but it looks pretty heavily implied that the warrior of hope we just defeated was murdered by a mob of monokuma kids. And the wild cheering for the death match we were in. I'd definitely put them on the side of keep my distance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean the person who pushed heavily for it got threatened with murder by the mastermind of the group.

Guys I'm starting to think monaca might not have the other kid's interest at heart :ohdear:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not sure if I'd chalk it up as a good thing yet, but they've definitely made the kids talking unnerving.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

uhoh, someone let a psycho from borderlands into the resistance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is no story about a sex offender in this particular update.

A teacher breaking into a little girl's home and watching her sleep is close enough, especially when the game says his motivations were probably lustful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

I said "tend"; he's doing something a little different with the first cases, as they are supposed to set up the stakes and how the cases work. I would be surprised if he felt anything about the first Blackened at all, since it is the victims of those first cases, and the surrounding circumstance of the murder, that make them so interesting.

I had a lot more sympathy for Leon than pop idol chick. Her dying and attempting to frame makoto were interesting subversions of the love interest expectation, but Leon felt a lot more like a victim. He was a kid trapped in a situation were he was told to kill or be killed who then had that reality shoved in his face when someone tried to kill him, personally. His execution was also the most brutal in the series with him getting dragged off in terror before getting stoned baseball'd to death. It's the only one in the series where the blackened is killed with real world methods of execution rather than goofy comedy, so it stuck with me one hell of a lot more than any of the other deaths.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Last update: Look at how horribly this child was sexually abused, don't you feel sorry for her?

This update, almost immediately after that: High Schoolers are hotties! Am I right?!

And while I can sympathize with not wanting to suicide charge, neither one of the blabber mouthing idiots seem to consider that there are ways the survivors can band together in active resistance without a suicide charge. It's an army of killer robots and it's a company city for a gigantic tech company. Surely someone has some skills that could get put to use in finding a way to neutralize what is pretty much the only threat?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The gently caress?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Pretty much, and the problem began before the game. That attitude has been prevalent all chapter: at the hideout there were multiple comments about what hotties high school girls were. Right after a scene designed to try and make you feel bad for the abused kid.

The game keeps openly celebrating something it also admits is disgusting and horrible. It's like it was written by a pair of children arguing about how the story goes, and the tonal whiplash just highlights how screwy all the barely legal perversity is.

Like, did we really need toko cutting the little girls clothes off and the underwear shots?

Anyway that was a lot of words to say, that I don't think it was overhyped at all and that I fully understand why a lot of people just put this one down here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Junko's not an adult. But yeah they are very broken.

Our main character and her sidekick are a younger sister to one of Junko's classmates and one of junko's classmates. They are regularly referred to as adults by the kids which would make Junko one even if nobody past high school considers that the truth.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

over/under on discovering his trump card is handing the protagonists off to the kids in some kind of plea deal?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

He's one of the most abused by monaca, and he's pretty much the only one that's showed both empathy and basic critical thinking skills with trying to ask if the others were actually dead and asking the protagonists to just leave. I dont think any of the others ever stood up to monaca at all the way he has a couple times either.

Still a psychotic mass murderer, but he's definitely the only kid they really did a good job of generating sympathy for.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Haiji is a fuckhead.

Also, his plan sucks. His solution to an army of killer robots that got hijacked is a BIGGER killer robot. That will never get hijacked. Nope, not one bit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, where did fuckhead go? I know he said he couldn't be a part of the dad's body -> scanner process, but he's still around the building somewhere right? Asking him if Monaca was his sister all along and he was a fuckhead for not telling the girls would have cleared up the whole real/fake dilemma.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Goddamn, I want to like this game, but it keeps going "look at this little girl's panties. Lol."

She can totally be trusted with the controls!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Has komarov figured out that she Mr. Fuckwit is clearly the successor and not Monica?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Guys, it's a controller. It can do more than be destroyed, it can also...
control.

Specifically, it can control the monokumas and kids this whole dilemma is centered around.

Did opening the wrong room give a nonstandard game over like destroying the controller does? Or anything interesting at all for that manner.

obligatory Haiji is a fuckwit remark

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Of course its kanon. You typed her name over a dozen times there!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Why are the remnants even bothering with the killing game pretense this time? Everyone locked in that building is pretty gungho on murdering each other without any prompting required,

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well this was the spark that was need to get them killing each other.

Was it though? Because right before this happened half the group was deadset on killing makoto and the other half on defending him. And I do mean DEAD set. You don't need the game to start the fireworks, just the key to the exit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, a fun thing is that Kyosuke has this whole speech about how if someone comes to save Makoto they can't be trusted because they might be trying to worm their way into the FF and cause some problems.

Which seems to be exactly what Monaca is doing.

So, y'know, another point in favor of Kyosuke not being a complete lunatic.

Isnt everyone here already in big at future foundation though? This was supposed to be a big wig conference of the leadership to put makoto on trial. The only people who aren't already running ff were makoto and friends. His theory is basically, "what if someone in Congress is murdering congressmen to work their way into congress?"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TheMcD posted:

I mean, the concept of just injecting somebody with purestrain talent by way of SCIENCE! is pretty stupid to begin with. And really, they could've just explained it away through Izuru's super analytical powers anyway. But I guess they just want to reinforce the notion that Izuru is basically a talent god. Nagito learning about Junko and Mukuro is probably just another one of those "lol, luck" things. He probably just stumbled over the information somehow.

Oh, by the way, in case anyone was wondering if I had planned some sort of special thing for April Fools' Day (and I wouldn't know why anybody would be wondering this, but whatever, I started writing this and now I'm going to finish it), the answer is technically yes.

Of course, me being me, it wouldn't have been an "April Fools' Day" thing, but rather a "Monaca's birthday" thing. That's a much more fun thing to celebrate than "Just A Prank, Bro" Day anyway.

I had originally planned to have a contest whereby the object would be for the audience to seek out one news article that they believe would cause me personally the most despair. The winner would be selected by me and would have gotten a prize. When I originally envisioned it, back before I had even started on this LP but already knew I would do it, it was a more light-hearted, with people maybe trying to reason out that the best way to cause me despair could maybe be to give me a news article detailing just how screwed the San Francisco Giants are for the foreseeable future, or just post an article about Alex Smith's horrific leg injury, that kind of thing. Things that are a lot less global. Of course, the world has continued to develop in a direction that makes me somewhat uncomfortable with the prospect of a contest centered around finding despairful content, since it could just end up depressing the poo poo out of the entire audience, so I ended up axing the idea.

Twitter counts as news these days, right?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Makoto runs through a door, which stops Kyosuke in his tracks.

In an episode centered around the forbidden actions of the cast this is a comically big mistake.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, the first execution within the first game is a kid getting chained down, drawn, and stoned to death all while begging in terror.

I was really glad when the tone shifted with the next one to mundo butter and that stuck for the rest of them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

So Kazuo’s original plan actually almost makes sense, he knows of and has tangible proof that Ryota’s Anime really can rewrite and control people’s personalities and actions, but Kazuo believes that hope must be a choice made not forced.

Nah. Because if hope must be a choice and not forced, literally brainwashing the entire planet would be a bad thing, because only the brainwasher is making a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly, more so than rebuilding Hope's peak, it's the remnants biting the bullet and taking the blame for the future foundation that offends me.

The future foundation is responsible for everything. They're the idiots on the board who messed up Hope's peak. They're the homicidal nutjobs who opt to kill first and ask questions later. They're the ones who literally wanted to execute the remnants in the tube rather than save them with cyberspace.

The remnants have no reason to care, emphasize with, or defend the monsters and yet they do.