Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I originally parsed Nagito's plan as "make sure the Future Foundation traitor (i.e. the one person who might actually be on the side of Hope) escapes" rather than just "kill off all the Despairs." That reading adds a hilarious layer of tragic irony to the whole thing: he set up this incredibly convoluted plan culminating in his death, but even if he had gotten Chiaki to graduate it would have been for nothing, because she's an AI and can't leave the simulation anyway. It's pointless in a way that Junko would go wild for, the sort of thing she'd wish she had orchestrated herself.

I'd have to go back and replay the game to see if it fits the evidence, though. It's been ages, and might've been a fit of poor reading comprehension the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, Toko's real core strength is being such a horrible fujioshi that it's honestly a relief when she turns out to have been secretly a serial killer the whole time. Byakuya's most humanizing trait is hating her.

Wait, what? I thought Genocide Jack/Jill was the horrible fujoshi and that was one of the things Toko hated her for.

IIRC, Toko's persecution complex was her main personality trait until she got that crush on Byakuya, after which it shared space with creepy drooling/fantasies.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Finding out what Monaca's up to after ADG was worth sitting through the rest of D3, at least for me. :allears:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I like the opening for Despair side quite a lot. It's pastelly and kinda wistful, which fits nicely with the viewer's awareness of the incoming tragedy.

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is why Izuru smelt decay on Nagito when they met on the ship in Chapter 0.

I thought it was Junko's surely-not-very-fresh hand (and also a metaphor for how he's a hollow shell of a person, clinging to his ideal of hope because he has nothing else).

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Here it is: my third-favorite thing in the entire DR3 anime.

The Mono Lisa.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Quicksilver6 posted:

I still don’t quite grasp how the concepts of hope and despair are used in this series, as if they are religions. This whole thing is a metaphor for Japanese culture demanding exceptional performance, right? So is the hope/despair thing about what that pressure does?

The weird kinda-religiousness of it is what happens when the games dip into metatextuality of the hope vs. despair discussion and it turns into sort of a mess.

Speaking from how these themes resonated with personal struggles, hope and despair is mostly about positive expectations for the future vs. negative ones. "Despair" is frequently about the mentality where you get extremely overwhelmed by possible bad outcomes, which makes everything in your life feel hopelessly difficult to deal with. (The pressure put on "exceptional" people often induces that mindset.) Hinata's "future" choice in SDR2 is about deliberately choosing not to think about outcomes and taking things as they come, which is an effective way of uncoupling yourself from that kind of negative morass. I'm personally in the process of therapy to help me do that! :toot:

Danganronpa uses extreme consequences (like death, never being able to see your family again, the end of the world, etc.) because that's how normal, everyday struggles feel when you're unequipped to handle them; it simultaneously resonates with the people who struggle with that mindset and allows people who're unfamiliar with the normal version to experience and relate to it.

TheMcD posted:

As it stands, what DR as a whole is about is kind of a crapshoot. Sure, things like the Japanese culture of performance and what it creates is an easy target, but ultimately, I would say assigning a motive to Kodaka is kind of a fool's errand. The guy just does whatever he wants. I'm mostly drawing this from things like there just so happening to be two tanned, sporty, energetic girls with an ample chest and a healthy appetite that both just so happen to survive in DR1 and DR2 (Aoi and Akane, respectively). God only knows if he was intending for a particular metaphor or not.

First off, yeah, lots of things in Danganronpa aren't crafted to feed into the theme. Aoi and Hagakure don't survive for any important reason and don't have real character arcs. One could argue that the lack of narrative importance keeps the victims and murderers unexpected, but like you said, it's hard to tell how much of it was intentional and how much was just including things because they wanted to. What it's all about isn't a crapshoot; the different games deal with different aspects of the whole thing. The messages of UDG and DR3 in particular are...kind of hard to tease out, though. I'm not entirely sure they're even really about the same thing. DR3 might be about the dangers of extremism and lack of forgiveness? Maybe? :shrug:

quote:

The side of despair is entirely made up of broken people. Junko broke because of her ability to predict everything. The Warriors of Hope broke because of their abuse. The Remnants of Despair broke because of... that thing we'll see later in Despair Side. In a larger sense, those that end up on the side of despair willingly (or at least not because of brainwashing) have been chewed up and spit out by the world, and as a result are lashing out against the world in some way (well, except Junko, but she's special). These people have either started acting out of revenge (the Warriors of Hope sans Monaca) or their brains have completely broken in some fashion to end up at this point (Junko, Monaca).

Instead, here's my question: If this is a metaphor for elite schools, the constant culture of pressure and all that... then isn't the side of despair the sympathetic one? That would be the side of those that were forced into these schools, unable to deal with what they demand. After all, sure, people talk a big game about Hope's Peak being this super prestigious school and how graduating sets you up for life, but how much of the actual school life have we seen? How many end up flunking out, and what happens to them? Wouldn't being a Hope's Peak dropout be a special kind of failure, potentially even worse than not being there in the first place? The side of despair would also be the side of the average people, constantly told that they're unworthy because they didn't cut the mustard, falling into a depression because of that. Hope's Peak does that itself with the Reserve Course, as we're seeing with Hajime.

Yes, the struggle against the idolization of hope (or despair) is absolutely sympathetic: there's a reason the Hope's Peak board of directors is shadowy, faceless, and unsympathetic, and why Komaeda is very obviously just as sadly twisted as Junko is. Komaeda, Junko and the Ultimate Despairs are broken and lashing out, like you said. They're an opposite, unhealthy idealization: swinging to the other extreme to cope with the fact that everyone says the thing that's destroying them is a good thing. They also (very importantly) try to drag other people into it and validate themselves, and that's where the "despair = bad guys" thing comes in. Characters give in to despair a lot over the course of a Danganronpa story, and only turn into bad guys when they start harming other people because of it. Even then, every time somebody is driven to murder they're still portrayed in a sympathetic light. (Unless they're the culprit of case 3. :v:)

quote:

So if we are to assume that the central message of DR is "constant pressure to perform and idolization of talent breaks people and is greatly unhealthy", then what are we to make of the fact that the those broken people are in the end defeated by those that aren't broken? Sure, it's a bit weakened by the fact that the ultimate heroes are average guys in Makoto and Hajime, but it's not like they could have done it without the support of other Ultimates.

It's really difficult to get out of that negative mindset without the help of someone who isn't currently stuck in it. Your negative perceptions feed off of the other person's and agree with each other. It's hard to believe in the possibility of good things happening when you know they don't really believe in them either. This is my current, personal experience.

Makoto and Hajime didn't defeat Junko directly, they helped everyone else get out of their hopeless mindset and that's what defeated her. It's not that they couldn't have done it without support, it's that their ability to garner support was the whole point and that defeated Junko's toxic ideology (and metaphorical representation of the unhealthy pessimistic mindset).

quote:

In the end, hope is the good guys. Despair is the bad guys. Victories for the side of hope perpetuate that very system what would be demonized with this metaphor. This just doesn't click with me.

This is what DRV3 is about! :eng101:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
The food Junko's making is curry, of course, because scooping out an eyeball with a spoon wasn't bad enough. Gotta spice it up a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Overexposure to Komaeda's bullshit single-handedly convinced Monaca to abandon the hope/despair conflict. :allears:

Since my reaction to his death in SDR2 was "oh thank god, I don't have to listen to him anymore" I find this extremely personally relatable.