Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

ultrafilter posted:

Those do match the job names from Dragon Quest III. On the other hand, they're also completely generic, so who knows?

They're missing a few, but yes, these are your pretty standard Dragon Quest classes, and 3 was the first game to have them. Hero is the all-rounder leader, Priest is the healer, Mage is the offensive spellcaster, Fighter is the physical attacker, and Sage is kind of a mix of Priest and Mage. Since Dragon Quest is so popular in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors of Hope are just copying one of their favourite video games. They're children, after all.

Of course, the real elephant in the room here is that there are five of them. There's no such thing as a 5-person party! What were the writers thinking!? And you can't even get Sages until halfway through the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

I think one thing I dislike about this bit is that this is a character the player (assuming they know about DR1's characters) sort of knows by proxy, kinda. We know Yuta's sister, so him dying immediately after being introduced is a slap in the face because, while it doesn't affect the characters we see, it feels like an insult to Aoi. Or, at least, that's my take on it.

If he wasn't in this scene and his role was played by someone unrelated, then I think this would feel less cheap.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A priest is a White Mage, right? Why does he only have 6 MP?

Also, I'm not familiar with Dragon Quest, but I'm pretty sure the slimes the most basic enemy type.

Those look like level 1 stats, and going by DQ3 (the first one with character classes) it's Monaca and Nagisa who have the weird MP. 48's way too much given that entry-level spells cost, like, one or two.