Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

Is there a summary of the previous two games that doesn't involve going through multiple ~150 part LPs? I'm interested, but I'm not that interested.

Basically Hope's Peak Academy existed to research abnormally talented people with the ultimate goal of creating someone who was abnormally talented at everything. They succeeded... right when they admitted a batshit crazy girl and her super-soldier twin. That duo recruited a bunch of other people into Ultimate Despair and ultimately caused The Incident (full title The Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident In The History Of Mankind, which I think takes less text box space in Japanese) which basically consisted of everyone killing everyone. As part of their plan, they locked their classmates into an armored shelter, wiped their memories, and set up an elaborate battle royale style repeated murder mystery broadcast on every channel to break the spirits of everyone else, overseen by Monokuma, that white bear robot. There's six survivors of that, including our current heroine's brother and Togami.

Crazy girl committed suicide but in DR2 an AI duplicate of her hacked a VR simulation set up to try to reform her minions with the intent of wiping their minds and downloading into their bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Important point about all the DR2 ending revalations: a good chunk of this comes from the Junko AI. Junko cannot be trusted.

It's some mix of truth and lies assembled to most effectively gently caress with the heads of the people she's speaking to at that very moment, like all her dialogue in the entire franchise. Any part that's actually impossible is probably just some bullshit she made up five seconds ago. My default reaction to all her dialogue is "shut up, Junko is talking!" but unlike with Kirigiri that's not because I expect her to provide useful and reliable information.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 3, 2018

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think people make too much of a big thing about Junko’s lying, given it feels she tells a lot more truths than lies, what she’s actually good at is twisting truths to the worst possible interpretation of omitting/changing them slightly to her own ends.

When she outright lies is kind of rare in my opinion, and is usually for the purpose of perpetuating the illusion of a killing game instead of actually being a lie for the sake of Despair. I think this is also part of what in universe makes her effective, she isn’t telling the whole truth but she also isn’t telling total lies, so she bends truth until it’s a lie and wraps people in her bullshit until they give in to her Despair.

Like, the number of times she’s just flat out lied instead of merely omitted or shifted the truth is quite small I feel, which is why I tend to accept things she says that aren’t contradicted as being somewhat truthful. In DR2 specifically I think there’s also a level of her not actually being aware that Izuru’s plan is different from hers.

Junko reliably says things that will get the result she wants. Usually this ends up being a selective portion of the truth combined with lies she won't be caught in, with varying ratios. I particularly distrust fine details in her end-of-game exposition because if she's successful in persuading everyone else they'll never be in a position to find out she was lying.

For instance, the general shape of The Incident conforms to her description, because Genocider retained memories of watching the news during the early to mid phases, but in order to persuade them to stay in the school forever Junko lies about how bad the world is at that point in time; her telling them about the deadly atmosphere is, if I've got the timelines right, after Towa City started the air purifiers. Certainly Togami has successfully left the school and not died a horrible choking death as of yet.

Junko doesn't lie just for the sake of lying, but if lying would help convince someone to do what she wants them to she won't hesitate. And when she says true things she's still trying to convince someone to do what she wants, so it's usually very distorted and selectively edited in order to mislead. Except when telling the whole truth will most effectively persuade people, in which case she'll do that. It all makes her amazing fun to watch in action but not a very good source for full and reliable exposition.

quote:

On to this game, god the music really is fantastic and personally I think this is the best Danganronpa soundtrack, because I love lounge jazz. I also appreciate that even without the killing game we get “executions”. I gotta question how the future foundation does anything at all with grunts this bad at fighting monokumas, which I’m pretty sure should be basic training.

Monokumas are actually really badass by normal standards; they're just decisively outmatched by the Ultimates who step up when it's asskicking time. Kuromaru is shredding them because she has a fancy brand-new prototype hacking gun created for the purpose of allowing normal people to effectively kill Monokumas.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Toko in DR1 was on the list of characters I wanted to shut the hell up during trials, while Genocider was perpetually entertaining.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

TheMcD posted:

Maybe it was just a threat... Or maybe you're actually a cute guy.
I-I'm a girl!
Oh? I'm not so sure. You could be lying to me. There's no proof you're *not* a guy...
Wh-Why would I lie like that for no reason!? What, you want me to show you!? Proof that I'm a girl!?
Wh-What'd you get all serious for!? I was kidding!

Toko, that's the kind of joke that would be funnier if Genocider hadn't expressed a great deal of enthusiasm at the prospect of killing crossdressing boys.

Leave the jokes about murders she actually might commit to her and stick to snarking about literature. Play to your strengths.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Bloody Emissary posted:

Wait, what? I thought Genocide Jack/Jill was the horrible fujoshi and that was one of the things Toko hated her for.

IIRC, Toko's persecution complex was her main personality trait until she got that crush on Byakuya, after which it shared space with creepy drooling/fantasies.

They have the same taste in men; Toko fantasizes about them and Genocide crucifies them with scissors.

Toko is picky about the writing quality of her smut, Genocide is picky about her crucification technique.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 17, 2018

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Haifisch posted:

Also note that Toko's genre is romance novels.

She's basically famous for 50 Shades of Grey except it's not a thinly disguised fanfic in this universe. (as far as we know)

It's at least a thickly disguised fanfic. She's good enough at writing it got her into Hopes Peak so it's on the level of running a Strong AI on a 2010 consumer laptop.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Narratively the purpose is pretty obviously to demonstrate that the bracelet is a bomb and there's no possibility of simply leaving, and to ensure the characters know that and take it seriously. That's fairly common, and is basically analogous to the Ninth Man from 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, whose initial story role is to persuade people Zero is not bluffing.

That said it felt pretty cheap to introduce Aoi's brother and then kill him off right out of the gate just because the audience wouldn't expect him to get killed off immediately. The shock value of an unexpected death is ruined by both the fact that the audience can pretty much guess the kids aren't gonna let their hunt targets leave the city alive that easily, and the fact that it switched into the Execution art style the moment he starts the swim. That second part isn't clear to a newcomer, but the reason for

theMcD posted:

...well, now you can tell this isn't going to end well.
is that the art style of the immediate prior image has previously only been used for culprit executions at the end of a trial section

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 27, 2018

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

TheMcD posted:

Him coming back and turning out to be the mastermind is still in the cards (and really, "character X turns out to be a mastermind out of nowhere" should never really be not considered to be in the cards as far as this stupid series is concerned)

Well literally the second person to die in the first game was "Junko", then Junko turned out to be the mastermind and died at the end of the first game, then was the mastermind of the second game. So yeah, being loving dead and the mastermind are not mutually exclusive in any capacity in this series.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

My main complaint is that it basically squanders the plot potential of meeting Aoi's brother by just promptly killing him off. It only really matters in that we kinda expect Yuta to survive long enough to get some mileage out of exploring his relationship with Aoi and how they view each other.

That could work in a lot of scenarios by making his death more shocking, but this is Danganronpa and major characters die suddenly with great regularity.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Honestly I don't think the bomb bracelets needed to be demonstrated. It could have just started beeping ominously on the bridge for the same effect; it would be pretty obvious what that meant. Yuta's status as Aoi's brother contributes little to the scene, and cuts off the possibility of scenes about how they relate to each other.

It does signal that major characters with a name and a face can die suddenly, but this is Danganronpa and we figured that out pretty early in the first game. What would have actually surprised me is if he survived, got across the river, and went for help as planned.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Komaru's traits are being very enthusiastic and otherwise incredibly normal in every way.

She does have a brother in Hope's Peak, but he's the Ultimate Lucky Student courtesy of winning a lottery, and there's a little side story in an unlocalized booklet about how that happened that came with the Japanese Bluray release of the anime adaption of the original, and...

Wiki summary posted:

The novel begins with Jin Kirigiri talking to the Steering Committee about the results of their annual draw for this year's Ultimate Lucky Student. The four members of the committee are decidedly unimpressed, for they firmly believed that luck should not be considered a talent and that the headmaster was wasting their school's resources. Jin tries to convince them otherwise. He is having a hard time convincing the committee that luck is a ‘talent’ worth considering, until he brings up the topic of a certain person.

Nagito Komaeda's absolute and superior luck is enough to silence the entire Steering Committee, and they eventually decided to leave Jin to his own devices. Jin took out a folder containing the information concerning this year's Ultimate Lucky Student and revealed to the commitee the result of the lucky draw - the name of a female high school student.

*A lengthy and highly unlikely series of events involving a jewel thief, Makoto, and a kendo master transpire*

The scene shifts back to Jin Kirigiri, who has been informed that the letter addressed to that year's Ultimate Lucky Student has been burnt up in an unfortunate accident involving a robber and a motorcycle stolen from a postman. Having heard that, Jin decides to hold the lottery again, because he feels that the misfortune of having her admission letter burn up disqualifies her from being accepted as Ultimate Lucky Student. In fact, he's already gotten the results of the draw - Makoto Naegi.

I figure the original draw winner spent the entire Incident with her family on an all-expenses-paid vacation to the International Space Station. Makoto has a degree of unusual luck, but it is the kind of luck that gets him into and then out of being caught up in an armed robbery. I guess Komaru has that kind of luck too, given that she's stuck in Towa City but also has the Ultimate Serial Killer backing her up and is not Genocider's type.

Ratoslov posted:

'Did you share a bed with your brother?' Wtf, Toko.

As Toko says, that's a thing that happens in trashy light novels.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Yeah if you were wondering why the Warriors Of Hope want to kill all adults, well, in Masaru's case you have your answer.