Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

Table for one?
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-BEAR ATTACK!
A bear?
Bears everywhere! Call the military! Paramedics! Hurry! If we don't hurry...
Miss, please keep your voice down...
...you're disturbing the other customers!

Lady, look out the loving window!

Also, I agree with OP, the slaughter going on is sufficiently horrifying. This is the BIGGEST, MOST AWFUL, MOST TRAGIC EVENT in human history, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

Actually, this is after that event.

iirc in Danganronpa 2's epilogue Kyoko says something like "The biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history still isn't over yet." so as of the ending of DR2 it's apparently still ongoing.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Blind Sally posted:

wait, i always thought that was one of the easier names to pronounce in English. how did the VA pronounce it??

She pronounced it 'Owie'

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

My favourite part about this bit is that one of the Future Foundation dudes has Byakuya's voice. I don't mean that they just share the same voice actor, which they do, but for whatever reason he didn't even try and he's just doing the same voice haha

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

As a side note, the music track that plays in these little extra scenes, "It's a Kids' World", is another one of my particular favorites. It's just so happy. It always puts me in an amusement park kind of mood.

Yeah, um..."happy" is certainly one way to describe it. I agree with you about it sounding like an amusement park, though. I just think we may differ as to where that amusement park actually is.

IT'S IN HELL

On a side note, Jataro's voice actor is so, so great here. And speaking of which, I volunteer to post voice actor information in this thread unless McD is planning on doing that himself.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Voice Actor Talk

Hello, I'm Soundwave and I'll be guiding you goons through the fine voice actors behind the English dub of Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls. The Danganronpa games have an excellent dub so I'm here to give you some information about the folks behind it. I'll give as much information as I can about the actor in question, and maybe chip in with my own two cents.

We'll start off with our "common, boring" protagonist. Komaru Naegi is voiced by Cherami Leigh, a very prolific and well known voice actress in the anime scene. Some of her most well-known roles are Asuna Yuuki from Sword Art Online, Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail, Makoto Nijima from Persona 5 and recently got a potentially huge one as Sarada Uchiha, one of the main characters of Boruto (Naruto sequel). She's an exceptionally talented actress who does great work in whatever she's been cast in.

Next up is the Ultimate Affluent Progeny, Byakuya Togami. His voice actor is Jason Wishnov, reprising his role from Danganronpa 1 and 2. He doesn't have many voice acting roles on record, but he is notably Nocturne in League of Legends and Chen Gong in Dynasty Warriors 8. The reason he doesn't do much VA work is because his primary job is video game director and designer. He's the CEO and co-founder of Iridium Studios, who have released Before the Echo and There Came an Echo, both available on Steam. Byakuya is a very stoic character, but Jason got the chance to really show his acting chops in Chapter 4 of Danganronpa 1, where Byakuya got angry when he was proven wrong in the class trial.

Finally, we have The Serva- uh, Nagito Komaeda. Like in Danganronpa 2, he is voiced by Bryce Papenbrook, who notably also voiced Komaru's brother Makoto in Danganronpa 1. Bryce is another very prolific voice actor, but is somewhat divisive due to him being typecast as 'every generic anime main character'. Some of these more well-known main characters are Kirito from Sword Art Online and Eren Jaeger from Attack on Titan. To a lot of people he just kinda suffers from overexposure, which is fair enough, but he generally does a good job. Of course, none of this applies to Nagito Komaeda. His role as Nagito is probably his best, simply because it really let him step away from the character archetype he's known for and go wild, with excellent results. As Nagito he's one of the stand-outs of the entire (extremely good) Danganronpa 2 dub. From his first appearance here in this LP you could probably tell he's playing Nagito a little bit differently this time. He's a bit more quiet and whispery, which makes perfect sense if you consider the differences between his mindwiped DR2 self and his appearance here.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 7, 2018

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

L-Let's go! Um... O... Omaru Naegi!
Omaru!?

"Omaru" means "toilet" in Japanese, so there's a nice little double meaning here that doesn't really translate across.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

New episode of voice actor talk. I'll hold off on doing the Warriors of Hope until we see a little more of them, but have the co-protagonist.

Toko is voiced by the same person who voiced her in DR1, Amanda C. Miller. In the land of Danganronpa, Amanda C. Miller also voiced Junko (both her normal speaking voice and some of her personalities). Recently she landed the role of Boruto which is undeniably gonna be huge for her career, and she was also the voice of Sailor Jupiter in the VIZ redub of Sailor Moon. She's very good and having so much dialogue in a game like this means she really gets to show off her talents. In particular I've always been a really big fan of Toko's stutter. There's a lot of really stereotypical and over-the-top stutters in acting so I appreciate how natural Toko's sounds. It's just a slight drag on some of her letters, like she's not entirely sure of herself. One of the best performances in the series for sure.

And here we have her serial killer alternate personality, Genocide Jack. Or Genocide Jill. She's voiced by Erin Fitzgerald, who ALSO voices Junko (to be exact, Erin voices Teacher Junko, Jojo Pose Junko, Monokuma Junko and the Horny Junko from DR2). I think it's pretty cool that they just decided to run with the connection between her and Amanda C. Miller, with both of them sharing two different roles in the series. Apart from DR but still in the world of anime, Erin is easily most famous for being the role of Chie Satonaka in Persona 4 in every game after the original, but she's in a ton of other games and anime too. She's also got a great resume in western cartoons, such as Ed, Edd n Eddy and Monster High. Anyway, voice acting wise she's absolutely excellent at Jill/Junko. Jill in particular being a complete psychopath, the voice acting needs to be absolutely on-point to make the character work and sound genuine, and yeah, she nails it. Just like with Toko, it's one of my favourite performances in the series for sure. In addition, she actually streams on Twitch quite a bit so if you're interested in following her, here you go: https://www.twitch.tv/erinfitzgerald

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The boss music in this game is so great.

I mean Danganronpa has an amazing OST in general, but yeah.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

With the end of Chapter 1 let's have more voice actor talk.

Masaru Daimon is voiced by Tara Jayne Sands, who might have been a prominent voice in some of the childhoods of the goons around here. That's because her most well-known are Mokuba Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh and she's also MOTHERFUCKING BULBASAUR. She's in some other anime and games but none really compare to her roles under 4Kids in terms of fame. She's a good actress who is known for mainly doing rougher, more boyish voices. She does a good job as Masaru, and I hope you watched Masaru's breakdown scene so you can hear her at work.

I was going to hold off on Jataro until we saw a bit more of him, but since he shares a VA with Yuta (who we won't be seeing again...probably) I might as well do them both.

Jataro Kemuri and Yuta Asahina are both voiced by Michelle Ruff. To call Michelle Ruff an experienced voice actress is an absurd understatement. She's got an absolutely massive resume of well-known roles and she's very, very good at what she does. Let's run through some character she voices. Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach, Yukari Takeba and Sadayo Kawakami from the Persona games, Yoko Littner in Gurren Lagann and Sinon from Sword Art Online. There are still a ton of characters where you could say "Hey, this character is famous! How come you didn't mention them?" because that's just how many big roles she's landed. Her style is...well god drat, she can do anything you need, really. She's avoided being typecasted because she's always doing something different, and all her major characters have different voices in some way. I'd say her role as Jataro is a stand-out even for her, though. She makes him sound absolutely delightfully twisted and she's very convincing. Jataro is a Gundham-esque character IMO, where the voice acting needs to be absolutely on-point for the character to work or be taken seriously, and Michelle nails it.

Yuta is the exact opposite, in that it sucks. It's very bad and I don't know why. I honestly think it might be the worst dub performance in Danganronpa? Not because Michelle can't act or whatever, just the voice is incredibly painful to listen to. It's hard to explain, but the voice is just...bad. Does not sound like a young boy at all, IMO. Swing and a miss, unfortunately. Only actual bad performance from Michelle Ruff I've heard though, and doesn't diminish her standing as one of the best voice actresses around.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Two of the best cutscenes in the series. The horribly disturbing 'art' reveal, followed up by the random Monokuma dance party.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Nah, real despair is when you use a vending machine and the thing you wanted gets stuck. Now you have no money and no food.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

I knew it, you're... You're Makoto, right!? Mister Makoto Naegi, right!?
...Mister?

This is a weird line. I wonder what the Japanese dialogue was here. What honorific was used?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This game is overall good but there's definitely a lot to talk about.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Yo I bet Nagisa has the sickest IVs and EVs

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Seeing how good the in-game anime cutscenes are in this game just depresses me because of how badly Funimation hosed up the Danganronpa 3 anime.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

DR3's anime had problems, but I don't remember animation being one.

I was referring to the scripting/voice acting. Funimation blatantly just didn't really care about Danganronpa as a property. It's a real bummer that they didn't really even try to make the dub good.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

It's been a couple of chapters, so let's do some voice actor talk.

Haiji Towa is voiced by Matt Mercer. He's a dude who has had an interesting career. At one point he was mostly known for being 'that guy who sounds like Troy Baker' but he has completely overcome that and is now one of the most prolific and well known voice actors out there. His list of significant roles is extremely extensive, but let's try and list a few. McCree from Overwatch, Jotaro Kujo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Levi Ackerman from Attack on Titan, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Yusuke Kitagawa from Persona 5, and many many more. He's also well known for his show Critical Role, a popular web series in which voice actors play Dungeons and Dragons. He's a really great voice actor and hearing him is always a good thing.

Hiroko Hagakure is voiced by Jessica Straus, somebody who I don't recognise. But a quick look at their resume shows that she's been in the business for a while, voicing the Amazon class in Diablo 2 back in 2000 (and reprising the role in Heroes of the Storm). Since then she's been in various video games and anime, such as being Saki Konishi and Hanako Ohtani in Persona 4, Juri in Street Fighter or Tianzi in Code Geass. Listening to her various roles it sounds like she's got pretty good range, but mainly voices strong women with deep voices. She does a good job as Hiroko. She doesn't get a lot of dialogue compared to say, Komaru, but she's definitely able to capture the 'super relaxed MILF' vibe in all her dialogue in a natural way.

Next let's move onto the bears. Shirokuma and Kurokuma are linked voice actor wise. They're part of the Toko/Genocide Jill/Junko connection and add to it. In this case, Shirokuma is voiced by Amanda Celine Miller who as I mentioned in a previous edition voices Toko and Junko, while Kurokuma is voiced by Erin Fitzgerald who voices Genocide Jill and some of Junko's personalities. I like that they keep adding to this, it's a nice bit of meta casting. Anyway, Shirokuma is supposedly a boy, but sure doesn't sound like it, which made his gender very confusing to me when I played this game. Despite that, you can feel the kindness in Shirokuma's lines and that's what's important. Kurokuma is objectively voice acted well, but I can't stand him. To be fair, that's entirely the point. Even the kids don't like him. But I bet Erin had an absolute blast playing him, and both characters are further proof of not only the vocal range of their actors but also their acting ability itself.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The final episode of voice actor talk!

Kotoko Utsugi is my favourite of the bunch, mainly due to her fabulous voice actor, Erica Lindbeck. Kotoko was one of her first big roles and since then she's been carving out a great career for herself. She's Kaori Miyazono in Your Lie in April, Futaba Sakura in Persona 5, was recently Black Cat in the 2018 Spider-Man game and recently hit the big screen as Cheelai in the new Dragon Ball Broly movie. To say she does a great job playing Kotoko is an understatement, as she's able to perfectly capture Kotoko's normal state, her anger and most importantly her triggered panic attacks. When you confront her as the boss of Chapter 3 she gives one of the best performances not only in the series, but one of the best vocal performances I've heard in a video game. She's really, really good.

Next we have Nagisa Shingetsu, voiced by another Erica, Erica Mendez. Erica Mendez has great range, and is primarily known for rough voices like the one she gives Nagisa thanks to her roles as Ryuko Matoi in Kill La Kill and Gon Freecs in Hunter x Hunter, but she also does cute high-pitched voices extremely well, such as Akko from Little Witch Academia and Yuuki Konno from Sword Art Online. As of recently she's actually been getting criticised for being in too many dubs, which is kind of insane to me, as she only has a couple of other big roles besides the ones I mentioned already. Maybe she gets so many roles because she's a great voice actor? Nah, couldn't be.

Satan, I mean Monaca, is voiced by Cristina Valenzuela, or Cristina Vee for short. Starting out with a YouTube channel and doing (really great) song covers of various anime songs, she's been voice acting professionally for a decade now. Her most famous roles are Homura Akemi from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Noel Vermillion from Blaz Blue, Killua Zoldyck from Hunter x Hunter and Shantae from the game series of the same name. She has over 200 roles credited to her name on behindthevoiceactors.com but despite that hearing her is always a pleasant surprise, as you never really know where she's going to pop up. Monaca is definitely outside of what she's most famous for playing, but she does a really great job. Props to her especially for managing to somehow make the most disturbing kissing sounds ever when she was forcing herself on Nagisa.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Komaru and Toko's friendship is one of the best I've seen and I love it.

Minor kinda funny note about Komaru's voice here, after she gets slapped by Toko and decides to become a badass, her voice gets a bit deeper as a sign of her character development. In a couple of the cutscenes afterwards (including the very last cutscene of the game) she inexplicably switches back to the voice she had at the start of the game, and it's incredibly jarring and noticeable. I guess they recorded out of order?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Ratoslov posted:

At this point, I fully expect Danganronpa 3's big plot twist to be that literally everybody, including the protagonist, is secretly Junko.

I'm Junko

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The dub is mostly harmless for this episode, but I'll have a lot to say pretty soon. The games were dubbed by Bang Zoom! Studios, and the anime adaption of DR1 was dubbed by Funimation. Funimation also got the rights to DR3 and for god knows what reason decided that keeping consistency with their bad dub of the non-canon DR1 anime was more important than keeping consistency with the dub of the games. It's extremely jarring. But so far the only character out of Makoto, Kyoko, Hina, Hiro and Monokuma who kept their original voice actor is Makoto, which was also apparently just by sheer coincidence.

Hina and Hiro's voice actors from the games are actually present in the dub of this anime, which makes it all the more baffling why they're cast as random people instead of the characters they're actually meant to be playing. Hina and Kyoko's replacement voice actors do a good job at least, in fact I think I prefer this Kyoko to the one from the games. Anime Monokuma is loving outrageously and infamously bad though.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Despair Arc gets off to a relatively good start. It shows how well the series could work as a slice-of-life type deal. I appreciate that they went through the effort of trying to get back the DR2 cast. Well, for the most part. Gundham's old VA said he wasn't even contacted. Kind of a dick move.

Anyway, the ones who got replaced were Peko, Akane, Fuyuhiko, Ibuki, Gundham and technically the Ultimate Imposter since he isn't playing as Byakuya right now anyway. I don't think any of their replacements are any good at all, but what can you do? Gundham is notably played here by KaiserNeko from TeamFourStar, so that's pretty cool if you're a fan of their work.

Nagito is voiced by the same guy, but weirdly he sounds completely different. In DR2 he was all raspy, and in UDG since he's Ultimate Despair and I guess to sound closer to the Japanese, he keeps the rasp but talks much more slowly and more creepily. Then for some reason in this anime he completely loses the rasp and only talks slowly and creepily. He sounds like a different character, it's weird.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would assume because his disease hasnít gotten as bad at this point in time. Nagito is literally dying of an illness in UDG and should be dead of it by the time period of DR2.

This is why Izuru smelt decay on Nagito when they met on the ship in Chapter 0.

His avatar in DR2 portrays his younger self just prior to entering Hope's Peak. He's actually older as of this first DR3 episode than his avatar is in DR2.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

My two favourite characters in the Future arc are Bandai (for his absurd design/voice) and BROZU.

Both of them are gone.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

So by now you've probably noticed that Future Arc is basically just a generic fighting anime. It doesn't really feel very Danganronpa at all to me anymore.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

So Funimation has a great working relationship with Cherami Leigh, Komaru's VA in the games. But do they go with the woman who voiced Komaru for literally hours of dialogue in the canon video game? Of course not, to stay consistent they go with Alexis Tipton, who voiced Komaru in Makoto's video for literally one line of dialogue in their dub of the DR1 anime. Absolutely baffling stuff. Not even the original games kept the same Komaru voice between DR1 and UDG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

By far my favourite scene in DR3 is Nagito just straight up pulling a gun on Junko and revealing that he knows all about the poo poo she's been up to. Uh...somehow. What makes the scene is Trapped By The Ocean Scent playing (That is Nagito's god drat theme music). DR3 generally uses music well, and I can think of no better example than this moment. I love that the second that music hits, you realise that Nagito isn't the one in danger, Junko is. Also, Peko versus Mukuro is very cool.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 2, 2019