Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDKLPvdqnU
Season 2 starts tomorrow 9/25 at 8/7c.

Returning cast:
Stephen Moyer as Reed Strucker
Amy Acker as Caitlin Strucker
Sean Teale as Marcos Diaz / Eclipse
Natalie Alyn Lind as Lauren Strucker
Percy Hynes White as Andy Strucker
Coby Bell as Jace Turner
Jamie Chung as Clarice Fong / Blink
Blair Redford as John Proudstar / Thunderbird
Emma Dumont as Lorna Dane / Polaris
Skyler Samuels as the Stepford Cuckoos

New cast
Grace Byers as Reeva Payge

So last season ended with the Mutant Underground on the run with Lorna, Andy and several background characters splitting off to join the Cuckoos and the Hellfire Club. This season promises more of the Hellfire Club and, as the thread title suggests, the Morlocks. Matt Nix is still being cagey about whether we'll see any mainline X-Men or Brotherhood characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm on team Hellfire Club. Humans suck :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm hoping they plan out the budget a little better so we don't have as many scenes of stuff happening just off screen to save some cash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like they couldn't remove Singer's name from the credits. From what I remember last year it was because he directed the pilot, which due to union rules makes it harder to remove his name from the show. Unlike on Legion where his role was more nebulous.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

So this episode was still a lot of set up, but it looks like it's going to get right into the Mutant vs Mutant stuff soon. But in the "coming this season" trailer was that Forge they showed as a new character?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like Reed is getting his mutant powers. Or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey the kid is Machine Gun Strucker now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Don’t do drugs.”

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I was totally expecting the new Hellfire club lady to steal the baby so I'm glad she didn't. I think it would've been a little better if they spent an episode or two showing how the old Hellfire club wasn't really pro mutants but just wanted to horde their power / wealth while using mutant rights as a veneer before she killed all of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the whole thing was a little lackluster, especially for a premier. I know they wanted to touch on everyone but it definitely made the episode feel a little unfocused because it jumped around so much.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Yeah, they didn't do much to show any crazy action sequences that you'd want to show to hook people. Apparently the FX budget is going to be limited again.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I didn't think they could find a way to make me not like Wobbles any more than usual.

But then they gave him bleached hair...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aww, I actually like Andy more now. His new friendship with Polaris is pretty good.

It also doesn't hurt that this series still doesn't give us any reasons to actually root against the Hellfire Club. Like why should we even want Andy back on Team Plaid?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BrianWilly posted:

Aww, I actually like Andy more now. His new friendship with Polaris is pretty good.

Yeah, it's good that Polaris has someone at her side who is not shady as gently caress. The triplets and Mutant Janelle Monáe are just there for the super mutant baby.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BrianWilly posted:

It also doesn't hurt that this series still doesn't give us any reasons to actually root against the Hellfire Club.

I mean, the Cuckoos are very murdery. You can make the case that everyone they've killed isn't a 'good' guy, but they certainly haven't only killed in self defense.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 28, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am just now getting around to watching the episode, but one thing this show has been very bad at is trying to make it seem like "no we can't just murder all the Mutant haters" is a legitimate position. They are constantly show just murdering people outright, so its like trying to show SS rounding up hiding Jews as being "maybe these people aren't all bad".

Like seriously, any kind of moral questionable behavior is totally justified. Like the show tries to say Polaris had gone to far destroying that plane but gently caress, not a single person on it had earned mercy.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

twistedmentat posted:

I am just now getting around to watching the episode, but one thing this show has been very bad at is trying to make it seem like "no we can't just murder all the Mutant haters" is a legitimate position. They are constantly show just murdering people outright, so its like trying to show SS rounding up hiding Jews as being "maybe these people aren't all bad".

Like seriously, any kind of moral questionable behavior is totally justified. Like the show tries to say Polaris had gone to far destroying that plane but gently caress, not a single person on it had earned mercy.

I forget what triggered it, but at once point I actually screamed "What do you loving mean 'we', Flatscan?" at the TV over something the mom said. So yeah, putting me on Team Magneto.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Test Pattern posted:

I forget what triggered it, but at once point I actually screamed "What do you loving mean 'we', Flatscan?" at the TV over something the mom said. So yeah, putting me on Team Magneto.

Yea. Maybe if they had shown that there are people in power pushing back on this, but the most we saw was that one Senator that they gave a stroke to, which pretty much said "yea, these people are utterly evil and do not deserve a second chance". I do love Amy Acker, but god drat they write her incredibly naiive in this show. "Maybe we can reason with the genocidal goverment agency". It's like when the comics had Genosha, they never once tried to showed that maybe the Genoshans were justified in brainwashing and enslaving mutants for the gain of the elites. You wanted to see Wolverine and Rogue-as-Ms Marvel gently caress them up hard.

I'm glad they're getting Lorna's baby out of the way early. I hate pregnancy storylines in shows, but at least they're getting it out of the way. Just as long as Polaris isn't going "Mah Babby!!!" from this moment on, it won't be terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Babies are annoying to write around so we’ll see how long until hers has to get sent into the future to survive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Babies are annoying to write around so we’ll see how long until hers has to get sent into the future to survive.

What did she call it? Don?

Yea, gets aged up, sent to the future, Mojo steals it. Anything to get rid of the baby.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like they couldn't remove Singer's name from the credits. From what I remember last year it was because he directed the pilot, which due to union rules makes it harder to remove his name from the show. Unlike on Legion where his role was more nebulous.

I'll still take Singer over Kring any day.

ApeHawk posted:

I didn't think they could find a way to make me not like Wobbles any more than usual.

But then they gave him bleached hair...

I'm so glad the Bubbles/Wobbles nickname stuck :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i have almost no idea what any characters name is in this show. The kids are either Bubbles and Wobbles, or uncomfortably hot sister and douchy looking brother. Then there's Not Tomas Jane Dad and Fred Mom.

The actual mutant characters I remember better because at least I know who Warpath and Polaris are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I had to look it up to remember which 3 Cuckoos they used. I know Esme, since she was the one that was around the longest.

For some reason they used both of the dead ones for names.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I haven't read anything because I don't want to spoil it if I decide to watch.

Is this worth watching? I like SHIELD and watched 5 seasons of Arrow, enjoying three of them. Enjoyed like 2 seasons of flash ect, basically I'm a dumb nerd is this even half good is what I'm asking

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I haven't read anything because I don't want to spoil it if I decide to watch.

Is this worth watching? I like SHIELD and watched 5 seasons of Arrow, enjoying three of them. Enjoyed like 2 seasons of flash ect, basically I'm a dumb nerd is this even half good is what I'm asking

It's pretty fun. Takes a few episodes to get going in the first season though, and had kind of a flat finale that didn't really setup anything too significant for the current season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, there's a good "holy poo poo that character!" in the back part of the season that really surprised a lot of people.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the best NotX-men show on TV

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey, it has one X-Man.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I'm about to start ep. 4. Thoughts so far.

Andy aka totally-not-Magneto is awesome. gently caress yeah kid.
The sister needs something to her character besides wanting to protect her brother.
The mom is really stupid.
Vampire Bill owns.
Colby Bell plays a bad guy really well and I don't like it he should be good.
I don't really care about portal girl, but memory girl is a bitch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm about to start ep. 4. Thoughts so far.

Andy aka totally-not-Magneto is awesome. gently caress yeah kid.
The sister needs something to her character besides wanting to protect her brother.
The mom is really stupid.
Vampire Bill owns.
Colby Bell plays a bad guy really well and I don't like it he should be good.
I don't really care about portal girl, but memory girl is a bitch.

Bubbles and Wobbles are ok.
Everyone of those characters gets better before seasons end except for Wobbles. He's totally not Magneto, his powers aren't metallic in nature. That's Polaris job.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Polaris is probably one of the better versions of the character. You either get second fiddle to Havoc from the comics, or the scared little girl from Wolverine and the X-men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Andy's power is telekinesis. But so far a very specific use of it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Is lawyer lady a comics character and is her power turning into a dragon?

Wobbles running into a wall was something I didn't know I wanted until now.

Vampire Bill is definitely going to disintegrate some fools before this season is over. :stoked:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Andy wouldn't be playing League, he'd be playing Fortnite.

How unrealistic.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I finished season one last night.

Once the show gets going it doesn’t let up and drat was the three-in-one reveal awesome. I could have sworn there were more though?

Anyways the Hellfire Club people rule and get it.

The mom is 100 percent the worst character followed by Marcos inches behind.

Agent Turner aka totally-not-general Stryker is awesome as a character too.

Is this the same universe as Logan? Seems like it to me.

Also how does Polaris killing the doctor stop the Hound program? We saw the data for it on an iPad, dr fong knows about it and likely literally anyone else who can read and understand that report he did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the comics they started as 5, then one died not long after their debut. Another one died some time later. There was also briefly thousands of them.

They're currently 3.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is lawyer lady a comics character and is her power turning into a dragon?

Yup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline_Whedon

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Boy, the writing in this season is just not picking up from the first episode. Like, the dialogue is unbelievably terrible. Nothing coming from anyone's mouth is remotely believable, they're all like talking in cliches. It seemed fine last season though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ApeHawk posted:

Andy wouldn't be playing League, he'd be playing Fortnite.

How unrealistic.

Imagine how many keyboards he goes through after he gets poo poo talked by some 12 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

chaosbreather posted:

Boy, the writing in this season is just not picking up from the first episode. Like, the dialogue is unbelievably terrible. Nothing coming from anyone's mouth is remotely believable, they're all like talking in cliches. It seemed fine last season though.

Yeah, I think the problem is that everyone needs to be oozing drama in every scene which is normally balanced out by people just doing day to day poo poo but even here the normal stuff is still wrapped up in whatever character having their internal conflict.

I guess having Esme turn on her sisters is going to lead to how they 'nerf' her power level. Maybe just one of them will die and we'll end up with the actress doing double duty as both a good and bad guy which kind of works as then they can have them cancel each other out during a fight. God, I'm starting to sound like I should have written for Heroes. Someone please give this show a budget so we can avoid the writers having to go down this road.

Also since I'm throwing out predictions for how things go down, I'm going to guess that someone kills the villain by putting her in a vacuum so she can't use her powers and suffocates.

Were there any scenes showing the Dad injecting himself with a crazy drug cocktail to get his powers back or are we supposed to be thinking it's stress related or something? Maybe he'll accidentally disintegrate Mom and we'll have one less bad character on the show.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 4, 2018