Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Once he joined the Purifiers that's it for Jace as a sympathetic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Once he joined the Purifiers that's it for Jace as a sympathetic character.

You wait, he's going to save a mutant kid that looks like his little girl and kill the purifiers. Maybe get injured in the process and be saved by mutants.
Thus saving his soul.

I'd put $8 on it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
On a really really shallow note, they are all so darned pretty, especially Thunderbird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
No matter what, Purifiers are the worst.

Sloth Life posted:

On a really really shallow note, they are all so darned pretty, especially Thunderbird.

I'm still very uncomfortable with Natalie Alyn Lind.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like the premise of this series but man it seems like nothing ever happens. I just realized it's been 5 episodes when I found myself asking "when is episode 4 gonna air" and found out I was off by 2.

I mean this is all my very personal opinion but sometimes it feels like I'm watching an all hits collection of The CW's cliché drama dialogue minus any action or plot progression. Or an entire series composed of the Black Market episode of BSG if that episode had been severely watered down and stretched over half a season. Or the first season of Legion if someone had decided to remove all the psychological thriller aspects and replace them with the daily life of David's sister and the occasional teen angst. Or watching Dredd or Mad Max but everyone in the horrible dystopia they're in decide that nagging each other is a better use of the screen time than trying to survive the environment or deal with the opposing faction/protagonists/antagonists.

"I'm aggressively fighting the faction with a bunch of my friends that has the best chance of dealing with the literal drones and robots being sent to murder me. In the meanwhile between all the hacking and invading properties and doing general havoc, it's time to dump these refugees in this hellhole where their best bet of surviving is mutilating themselves in this crazy cult. Here, take these people, we can't feed them or treat them but I'm sure your sewer people can do just fine."

"How... dare you steal some cereals? This is not what I signed for. I watched Futurama and I know fully well that sewer mutants don't need to do that. I'm off to breaking into government facilities again, you loving criminal."

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 5, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Elentor posted:

I really like the premise of this series but man it seems like nothing ever happens. I just realized it's been 5 episodes when I found myself asking "when is episode 4 gonna air" and found out I was off by 2.

I mean this is all my very personal opinion but sometimes it feels like I'm watching an all hits collection of The CW's cliché drama dialogue minus any action or plot progression. Or an entire series composed of the Black Market episode of BSG if that episode had been severely watered down and stretched over half a season. Or the first season of Legion if someone had decided to remove all the psychological thriller aspects and replace them with the daily life of David's sister and the occasional teen angst.

Yup. There's plot lines that I'm interested in, like what is the Hellfire Club up to that they need a bunch of child soldiers? Hopefully this will end with a seachange so it isn't just everyone hiding and yelling about OUR FAMILY!!!!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite part about OUR FAMILY!! is basically every scene showing Jace and his very deep, conflicted character who's been nothing but a villain the whole time.

Do we show Jace brooding over his dark past, ruining his present relationship with his family, pondering on how to legally kill mutants or joining groups that illegally beat up on humans? I know, let's make him gather some sympathy points by showing this time where he arrested an innocent.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Elentor posted:

My favorite part about OUR FAMILY!! is basically every scene showing Jace and his very deep, conflicted character who's been nothing but a villain the whole time.

Do we show Jace brooding over his dark past, ruining his present relationship with his family, pondering on how to legally kill mutants or joining groups that illegally beat up on humans? I know, let's make him gather some sympathy points by showing this time where he arrested an innocent.

Yea its kind of like showing a and NKVD officer shooting people for vague reasons and going home and being upset he can't help his kids with their math. Uh, why are you trying to make us feel sorry for literally the worst kind of people? Like Sentinel Services are literally the Gestapo that's been UnPersoning Mutants and their families the entire time, and totally chill with horrible experiments on children and enslaving mutants to attack their critics.

So we should totally worry about this guys family!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I'm hoping that Jace is a somewhat clumsy attempt to show how easy it is to go down the road to Hell with good intentions. Trask was an out and out horrible person but the show runners have made stabs at more normal monstrous acts, like Dad doing "the right thing" at the bowling alley and Mom being a typical "the law is good to me, therefore if it's bad to you it's because you deserve it". It could stand to be more overt but I am going to go out on a limb and say the show runners are old white men.

A edited to add I am an oldish white woman so have my own prejudices

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 5, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Glad they expanded a bit on Rebecca's powers. Just turn everyone inside out upside down and drop em :v:

Make your neighborhood safe again :911: Thank you Jace for explaining that you can't act like a hate group, you need to act properly while conducting your hateful activities.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The show still has some dumb moments, but it really has improved a lot since early season one. It is genuinely good now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Make your neighborhood safe again :911: Thank you Jace for explaining that you can't act like a hate group, you need to act properly while conducting your hateful activities.

Now, we need to make sure we keep everything above board. Jim-Bob, you carry the rifle and smash your way through any doors. Billy-Joe, you torture the medical personnel. Right then, let's let the world know we're the good guys.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Show is better but Jace was in the right to put a hole through Shatter and it's dumb to have him agonize over that kind of justifiable killing. Yeah, obviously showing up with an angry mob and expecting them to not want to go in guys blazing is dumb but Shatter literally killed a guy and didn't seem like he had any intention of surrendering so it was pretty reasonable at the point. Either way, I don't think we really need a POV character in the Purifiers and trying to make him sympathetic is becoming counterproductive at this point.

What a waste of an interesting character in Shatter too. You guys run through a wall, I'm going to charge this group of armed guys to buy you what was realistically no time.

I did like hearing the Purifiers bombed a church, that wasn't subtle or anything lol. It's kind of amusing that all these mutants are fleeing to Mexico as well, probably filmed too late but I'd love to hear the pundit on the tv talk about a "caravan of muties".

Oh the Rebecca is actually an evil mutant twist is kind of dumb too. They totally glossed over her situation and did not digging beyond 'killed her family' is dumb. Oh maybe she had perfectly good reasons to kill her family but who cares because our narrative is family:good! It sets up the obvious Rebecca falls for Wobbles but he chooses Bubbles because family, so then she's now super evil and betrayed and blah blah blah. There's just so much laziness going on here and I really hope I'm wrong they go down some more interesting roads.

Sometimes simple obvious storytelling is good but this is not one of those times and this show needs to operate at a higher level.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Curious who's behind Rey and Kyloing the Struckers.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Magneto? Hes been namechecked as pulling strings behind the scenes, Reevas agenda is in alignment with his, and as powerful as Polaris is, Reeva was willing to ice Andy for much less reason. Plus I think it parallells the Strucker family thing they got going

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Anyway,I don't normally notice overdubbing lines or ADR so they had to be really glaring to other watchers. Thunderbird had a really obvious scene with Reed, what the hell happened there?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Show is better but Jace was in the right to put a hole through Shatter and it's dumb to have him agonize over that kind of justifiable killing. Yeah, obviously showing up with an angry mob and expecting them to not want to go in guys blazing is dumb but Shatter literally killed a guy and didn't seem like he had any intention of surrendering so it was pretty reasonable at the point. Either way, I don't think we really need a POV character in the Purifiers and trying to make him sympathetic is becoming counterproductive at this point.

What a waste of an interesting character in Shatter too. You guys run through a wall, I'm going to charge this group of armed guys to buy you what was realistically no time.

:thunk:

He literally showed up with an angry mob and started terrorizing the people inside including Shatter. You aren't justified to murder people if you start it. He should feel bad because he was completely in the wrong and it also was against his ideals of "ya we are totally the good guys doing the right thing the proper way".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 8, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sloth Life posted:

Anyway,I don't normally notice overdubbing lines or ADR so they had to be really glaring to other watchers. Thunderbird had a really obvious scene with Reed, what the hell happened there?

Probably set noise

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else notice that completely terrible wig for the scene at the beginning of the episode when Andy was talking to Lorna?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:thunk:

He literally showed up with an angry mob and started terrorizing the people inside including Shatter. You aren't justified to murder people if you start it. He should feel bad because he was completely in the wrong and it also was against his ideals of "ya we are totally the good guys doing the right thing the proper way".

Also they just opened fire on Shatter before he got anywhere near anyone so it definitely wasn't anywhere near self defense.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loved the open carry M249, like it ain't no thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am not surprised the Cops were all "hey thanks guys, you starting a fire fight in the middle of the day we were able to get some mutants!"

Also, Emse (i think its Emse?) is totally going to spill the beans to Polaris and they're going to leave the Hellfire Club. And I doubt Reeva is working with Magneto, it will probably be Greydon Creed as they already mentioned Creed in the show. Probably to do something so Creed can cry how the bad Mutants are after him so they could get more government contracts or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I don't see how it was super dangerous to transport Crumbles. Just don't touch anything.

If I sell out Sentinel Services, how will I sleep at night? :v:

Rebecca :swoon:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Everything I touch literally falls apart, better pick up this precious family photo just this one last time oh no who could have seen this coming.

That was a good episode even just for the hero bro squad to finally start figuring out that their resistance is a joke. I have a feeling fascist cop guy on Fox News is going to be cringe city.

qirex fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 14, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish this entire episode had been just about the bank heist.

There's good stuff but it's punctuated by some really lame drama.

Again, my usual complaint. This entire season could have been extremely compressed into a few great episodes. The filler is extremely jarring.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*slaps Twist on the hand*

NO! Bad Twist! Bad! Don't turn all those people inside out!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gonz posted:

*slaps Twist on the hand*

NO! Bad Twist! Bad! Don't turn all those people inside out!

You know all those bad mutants you hear about? Well I'm worse like a million times more evil than Pyro.

This episode was so forgettable I don't even remember what they wanted from the vault. I'd go back and watch it again but the resistance is so bland I'm hoping that John just ditches everyone and runs off doing commando, saving random mutants in an episode of the week format.

Jace worked with some "very fine people" in Sentinel Services.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Reeva Payge sucks as a villain.

The actor has limited acting range and looks like a poodle.

That seduction scene of the banker neither made me feel sympathetic nor cartoony evil for her, just bland.

Plus whenever she uses her power, I insert Tom Servo/Kevin Murphy's opera voice.

You are making me miss Kai Wynn and Damien Darhk.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 15, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, they should have gotten Neil McD to be a Hammy Shaw. That would have ruled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, they should have gotten Neil McD to be a Hammy Shaw. That would have ruled.

Now I am sad we didn't get this.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Now I am sad we didn't get this.

I'm kinda sick of seeing that character. I miss his Dum Dum Dugan and Buck Compton style.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He's been in one movie, played by Kevin Bacon. Mcdonough would totally wear the Frocked Coat and Knickers with a ponytail straight out of the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Heh, Destroy Everything You Touch you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTwlAT_AwU

And Reeva is pretty bad villain. Her power is ill defined, and all she does is look stern and threaten people. She reminds me a lot of Fish Mooney from Gotham.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 16, 2018

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I did not dig the Chicago flashback, but Reevas ok imho. I like her passion and willingness to get her own hands dirty. Rebecca is the worry here. Girl is straight up psycho and Andy is not exactly stable himself. The show has already established non sibling power sharing as a thing so a bit worried about superpowered inside out bits.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Sloth Life posted:

I did not dig the Chicago flashback, but Reevas ok imho. I like her passion and willingness to get her own hands dirty. Rebecca is the worry here. Girl is straight up psycho and Andy is not exactly stable himself. The show has already established non sibling power sharing as a thing so a bit worried about superpowered inside out bits.

"What did they do to that guy?"
"They wobbled him... from the inside out."
"My god."

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Hey! I was thinking more his blast radius mixed with her powerset means entire city blocks are turned inside out, people included. I could be off but in the Strucker duo he's been the brawn and Lauren's been the laser focus

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I honestly think I might be more into the purifiers storyline than the resistance. Mostly curious just to see what the payoff there is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jace, you need to join the murderous hate group and make it public, so your wife will take you back!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not being cynical but refresh my memory, has the mutant underground group managed to do anything that was not self-contained this season yet?

I remember them helping some evacuees and then dumping them on the sewer mutants. Otherwise my memory is filled just with a lot of internal drama and conflicts about what they should and what they should not do while the world is going to hell outside.

And taking now in consideration the fact that Jace is going full crazy and the people from the Hellfire Club also have a loose cannon with them I'm thinking of what exactly did those 6ish characters accomplish in all the screen time they've had.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elentor posted:

Not being cynical but refresh my memory, has the mutant underground group managed to do anything that was not self-contained this season yet?

I remember them helping some evacuees and then dumping them on the sewer mutants. Otherwise my memory is filled just with a lot of internal drama and conflicts about what they should and what they should not do while the world is going to hell outside.

And taking now in consideration the fact that Jace is going full crazy and the people from the Hellfire Club also have a loose cannon with them I'm thinking of what exactly did those 6ish characters accomplish in all the screen time they've had.

They found the morlocks, freed some prisoners(who they dumped on the morlocks) and moved Crumbles to the clinic! :v:

They do need to basically team up with the morlocks or get something going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The underground helped some people at the beginning of the season when they got raided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I think that's the problem.

I like most of the characters and actors, but some are definitely head and shoulders above other.

This is definitely 2nd season superhero show syndrome (aka starts strong, but starts plate spinning after the first or so season).

The only superhero show that missed this is legends of tomorrow (because it's first season was horrible, but when it ditched the hawks and embraced the dumbness, it became a work of art. although it could be argued it's more a scifi show than a superhero show which suffers from 1st bad season more often than not).

Reed Strucker is easily the best of the Strucker clan and one of the best in the show because 1. he worked for the other side in the most ethical way possible (legal representative), 2. as soon as he found out his kids were mutants he switched sides first episode, and 3. has been the most likely to reach out and try to get help from the other side, even if his judgment isn't always the best.

Then you make him a mutant and pour on the angst. He's usually the man with the plan, but now he's pretty much helpless and as a result, has the best arc out of any of them. It's what happens when you give HRG metapowers he can't control.

(although I believe his powers will be brought under control by the power of family).

I like Thunderbird and think he's the best of the mutant group, but they really don't know how to use him. But the guy has serious charisma, an awesome powerset for tv, and he needs to be playing fearless leader more.

Blink is awesome, but the Morlock arc just feels like an unnecessary drama that would make the wb proud.

Marco is seriously improved even if he has become, "getting my baby" and very one note because of it.

Polaris is awesome on how they played up her own family issues and how much she is her father's daughter, even if she never met him: a well-meaning person with a temper and a powerset that makes her a threat.\

I like the cuckoos and how they are represented, and how separating one from the collective gave her a conscience.

Hell, I don't even mind Caitlin "soccer mom from hell," Lauren "we really wanted the cheerleader from heroes" and even Andy "I'm a big rear end tool that hopefully will either figure it out, or make a great martyr for the rest of the family."

but cripes, it feels off and trying to figure out why it's giving me Heroes Flashbacks and that does not bode well, even though they have a tighter focus and a better 2nd season thus far.