Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I watch Survivor on the Global TV website because I have only Netflix on my television, and CBS dot com apparently refuses to recognize my little backwater town of Vancouver, BC as a region worthy of their available online programs.
Tonight I sat down to watch the newest episode of Survivor, and the thumbnail for the video was a screencap of Nick at Tribal Council.
Although the episode was not completely ruined for me, considering there were still some interesting moments throughout, it made the immunity challenge much less exciting because I knew which tribe would win and which would lose.
This isn't the first time Global TV has spoiled the show either. Last season, I was excited to watch the finale, as I'm sure we all were. There were five people left, yet the thumbnail on this particular website showed Domenick, Wendell, and Laurel sitting together during the live reunion show, obviously being the final three.
Again, it wasn't completely ruined and still kind of fun what with the whole tie vote, but it was a bummer knowing in advance which two contestants were going to be eliminated during the game proper.

Anyway, I sent Global TV a message through the feedback link on their site. Hopefully someone there has some integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As soon as Natalie started talking about 'not going down without a fight' before halfway through, I was suspecting that the Davids were going to TC. That seemed like content that would be spliced out from when the Goliaths were actually awaiting TC, so to show that that early on would just be to set up some tension for the tribe.

Also.... Dan, Dan, Dan. I want to like him but oh boy, he is gonna get played hard. He'd better wisen up and think logically before Kara ruins him. This is Jessica/Cole all over again except one of them is actually willing to slit the other's throat. I can't see Dan ever turning on Kara, so the best thing for his game would be to lose her in a tribe shuffle so he can actually clear his head. At least Natalie is gonna be a clear and present danger who I can't see escaping the first vote at all if she can't even play nice with people willing to talk to her.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea that was a classic awesome blindside.

I really cannot stand cowgirl though. Like visually I just want her gone.
I find Cowgirl more likeable than Beast Mode Cowboy back in Cow Rong.

Will there be a change to 3 tribes of 6 or is the David team going to lose every physical challenge and be decimated.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 4, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This wasn't even a huge physical challenge. Sure Bi lost a lot of time for them, but it basically came down to the puzzle and the Davids just could never get their balance right.

I do like that everyone in this game seems to be getting a fair bit of content other than maybe a few of the Goliath girls (I still can't remember which one is Alison and which one is Angelina). This is shaping up to be a really strong start to the season.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Shneak posted:

I fuckin' clapped. :byewhore:

Also I'm not sure if its me but I found Christian in this episode absolutely unbearable to watch speak.

Me too.

Not so much in confessionals, but at Tribal Council I hated his loving face every time he said anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Listening to Jacob on the Live Know it Alls episode of RHAP and its no fuckin wonder he got voted out first on his season. All of his jokes fell flat but he still paused for laughter after each one. It was like watching those clips of Big Bang Theory with the laugh track taken out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

"in my sport technique beats everything"

I laughed really hard at this because jesus christ girl you got out-techniqued HARD during that challenge good lord.

Also the strength disparity really showed during the puzzle segment again. Goliaths weren't as worn down as the Davids and were able to balance the puzzle much better. That was a pretty nasty (but cool) challenge otherwise, I think.

I feel like whoever designed the first couple immunity challenges was trying to go for "ok we'll be tricky by weighting a the end of the challenge toward each team's supposed strengths!" by having it be a puzzle that also requires strength, but their huge failing is not realizing that not all Goliaths are going to be dumb jocks so the disparity in strength/endurance is wildly greater than the disparity in smarts. At this point I'll be shocked if they lose a challenge before a swap without some sort of disadvantage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jess/Carl/Davie/Bi had no right to be that shocked. It looked like they were all blindly assuming that nobody was playing the game yet and Lyrsa was gonna just go out without a fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah it's probably saying something that Bi is one of the toughest Davids, and while I'm sure she's plenty tough as an MMA fighter, she really can't compete with John or even Dan or Alec, at least not til down the road when the big guys get worn down by lack of food. Carl got incredibly winded in the first immunity challenge.

Basically, losing Pat was a huge blow to the Davids. But hey, they're the lovable underdogs, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

That exchange between Gabby and Christian was incredible.

:j: do you you want to meet play with me?
:byodood: what like in the sand?
That made me uncomfortable, she was coming off as soo needy there if i were Christian i would be marking it down as a potential issue going forward.

I was wondering why they went forward with that vote as a 5-4 blindside. The other 4 must have all been pretty set against Lyrsa, but you'd think the nerd grouping could pull in Davey or something, making it 6-3 and not blindsiding quite as many people.

garthoneeye posted:

Me too.

Not so much in confessionals, but at Tribal Council I hated his loving face every time he said anything.
I like him so far but he's got this weird physical tick where he like lifts his chin up and looks way too high while he's talking. It looks really weird and kind of obnoxious

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Gabby referred to herself as "the nerd whisperer". She is playing Christian.
As for his mannerisms, on last night's podcast Rob Cesternino described him as looking like "a mime trying to escape a bubble" which was perfect.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabby is also getting way too paranoid on Day 6. Some of her fears are legitimate, but it also feels like she'll get way too uncomfortable about working with non-nerds. If she can't adapt to working with people like Bi or hey, some of the Goliaths, that shuts her out from a lot of potential alliance options.

She's not as bad as MvG Hannah, but she needs to find more stable footing. She's got a good ally in Christian, but considering that he's already starting to work with Nick, it wouldn't hurt her to start bonding with the Elizabeth/Lyrsa duo now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It looks like Gabby's got some serious anxiety she's dealing with, which isn't exactly her fault but isn't really that great for playing Survivor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rarity posted:

Jess/Carl/Davie/Bi had no right to be that shocked. It looked like they were all blindly assuming that nobody was playing the game yet and Lyrsa was gonna just go out without a fight.

Might have just been the editing but Bi not noticing how much her vague reassurances were spooking Gabby was pretty poor play as well.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Kinda really disliking the David vs. Goliath theme. I wonder if there was any embarrassment on the part of the players, who were sorted basically into these less than flattering "weirdos who look like they shouldn't win...but maybe they will!" vs. "spoiled folks who had everything handed to them" teams. I wish they would just repeat the themes that work (BvBvB, Blood vs Water, Gen X vs Millenials) or just go vanilla.

At least the group seems well-chosen so far. I find the Christian/Gabby/Nick/Elizabeth crew of misfits pretty endearing at this point, but there is also the potential they get annoying.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Blood vs Water worked out fine the two times they did it but I wouldn't want to see it repeated. It gets way too messy having people with pre-established relationships.

And the David v. Goliath theme is fine and mostly arbitrary anyway aside from the Goliath tribe being pretty physically stacked; I certainly wouldn't look at Kara and go, 'Yes, that's definitely a Goliath'. I know I rolled my eyes way harder at Millennials vs. Gen X.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Its arbitrary nature is exactly what I'm criticizing. At least the groups in GXvM had clear distinctions and more interesting characteristics/stereotypes upon which to build the show.

This is just...I don't know what it is. The reformed fat dude who clawed his way into good shape isn't a David and the naturally hyper-intelligent robotics guy isn't a Goliath? Mike is a Goliath because...why? The groups don't seem like they were thought through very well.

I mean, like I said, the people are okay and the groups will get reshuffled sooner than later, but the theme is just a stretch, moreso than in other seasons, and I mostly wish the producers would have the courage to just go full, no-frills Survivor.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also because they've pretty much settled into Fiji full-time now so they need new names. And Mike is definitely one of the clearer Goliaths since he's pretty recognizable (a few of the cast members immediately knew him from School of Rock and The Amazing Race).

And I'd much rather nobody caring about the theme than Probst going 'SO AS A MILLENNIAL WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS'? Him trying to drum up the theme as someone was medically evacuated was terrible.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jessica was incredibly obnoxious and I'm glad she's gone.

I don't think I've ever noticed an instance of sound editing being so bad / a sentence splice being so overt as this one sentence in this ep, it was really weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbIgh4xbw0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should do a Right Wing Vs Left Wing season :getin:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That was Cook Islands

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Good lord.

Next thing you know they won't even bother with casting anymore. They'll just edit new seasons together out of the old ones.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Jessica was incredibly obnoxious and I'm glad she's gone.

I don't think I've ever noticed an instance of sound editing being so bad / a sentence splice being so overt as this one sentence in this ep, it was really weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbIgh4xbw0

Survivor learning from WWE but using audio cuts instead of video cuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pn4ybI-TsA

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The David’s are all awful but I am on team Davie.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like Bi and I'm not sure why because she was all-around terrible last night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've seen a LOT of Johnny Splice promos and I'm personally willing to give Survivor the benefit of the doubt that doing that kind of editing is the only way to get a sentence out of him that doesn't include "turd burgers" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygO7AiWH9AQ&t=34s

garthoneeye posted:

Me too.

It was the opposite for me. He was really grating on me in the confessionals but he seemed a little more natural when he was actually talking to people in Tribal. Either way I can see turning hard on him at any moment.

And reveling in being a swing vote blindside in the first Tribal isn't really a good sign. And he his main two allies are that guy who was all "I'm just gonna form a named alliance with everyone and self destruct reaaaaaaal fast" and the girl who incorrectly thought all her friends were lying to her and then starting begging for help. So I dunno that I feel good about this guy's game.

IcePhoenix posted:

Might have just been the editing but Bi not noticing how much her vague reassurances were spooking Gabby was pretty poor play as well.

Yeah, the blindsided people were just all a little too comfortable especially Bi and Jessica. Like, you gotta be able to read when your ally wants some reassurance about the game plan and not sketch them out. Gabby was obviously too anxious and reading into it, but the game is managing your allies.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabby's... not a great ally though. I mean you gotta manage your allies sure, but this is someone who was begging Christian to reaffirm that they're still working together.

Good goat, sure. Not exactly a great partner or stable number if she's jumping at shadows from the most innocuous of conversations. She's more likely to go not because of her physical weakness but her paranoia.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Gabby’s anxiety was entirely justified, if the plan was to take out the physically weakest members of the tribe she would be going home this next week after Lyrsa went last week. She was clearly at the bottom if they kept the plan to get rid of physically weak players

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Typical Goon posted:

Gabby’s anxiety was entirely justified, if the plan was to take out the physically weakest members of the tribe she would be going home this next week after Lyrsa went last week. She was clearly at the bottom if they kept the plan to get rid of physically weak players

Justified perhaps, but acting that loving skittish and paranoid with your closest ally is poo poo gameplay. That's the sort of thing that makes people (or should make them) start reconsidering your usefulness and looking elsewhere for stability.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You don't have close allies when you haven't been to a tribal imo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

You don't have close allies when you haven't been to a tribal imo

And you never will if you act like that, is all I'm saying

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
You seem to be really projecting how people should act when it looks like they are next in line to be voted out of a game for a million dollars

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sure, because we've seen this show before. People get voted out for being indecisive and paranoid and wigging people out. Especially at this stage where there are tons of people and you're nervous at tribal, even when you're 99% sure you have the numbers, a paranoid X factor is intolerable.

There's certainly a lot of hilarious Thursday morning quarterbacking with this show, but saying a visibly paranoid person on day 6 is loving up is not one of those cases.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think we can say this early. Its possible that "do you want to play with me?" moment was an isolated incident and maybe the girls really didn't talk any game with her and she'll get more comfortable with Christian or something. But it was a rough first impression.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the good news is that in-game she only acted that way to one person, the guy voted Least Likely to Read Social Cues.

It's definitely possible there will be no fallout, and obviously it's a natural human reaction and totally understandable, but having that poo poo under control is pretty important to winning Survivor, generally speaking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And I mean its even possible she did it intentionally because she thought the "scared little girl" thing would work on Christian as it did. Who knows?

Its one instance so we just have to see how she plays going forward. She seems like she'll probably survive blindsiding/betraying half the tribe because a bunch of other people did too. So if she doesn't make a habit of it she could be fine.

There's also a thing I thought I noticed where Jessica only got worried when there was a 4th vote against her. So its possible she expected Gabby to vote with Lyrssa and Cowgirl? Maybe the three of them were very obvious in their scheming? Or maybe Gabby was right and she was outside of the group and not trusted? Or maybe Jessica's reaction shots were taken out of context to increase the drama? Who knows?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Who knows?
It's definitely all spitballing and thursday morning quarterbacking but I don't want the thread to be a wasteland other than a bunch of OH poo poo posts during the show

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking it. Its fun to talk about our first impressions and see if players live up to them or prove them wrong.

Its kinda why I don't really do the Pony/Poison thing. For me the fun isn't really in picking a favorite and rooting for them, its in just watching the game develop and see who wins me over/impresses me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I rarely have strong feelings about any contestants until like halfway through the season, except for the obviously and amusingly insane ones like Philip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

precision posted:

I rarely have strong feelings about any contestants until like halfway through the season, except for the obviously and amusingly insane ones like Philip

Yeah, I never know who I’m rooting for until a few episodes in but then it is in my bones once it is set.