Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i've read the whole reborn thread and my sanity is fine, it's just a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Plus, Rejuvination (or however you spell that) is much worse.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

I can't hate too much on Insurgence's Hard mode if only because it's a thing that you willingly select, instead of being forced upon you by the devs.

Fair point. Casual players wouldn’t go out of their way to make their game experience more difficult.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Uh, writers, you do realize its silly to do imaginary friend jokes in a world where everyone has multiple unbreakable bonds with adorable animal friends, and its not even considered weird to talk to them, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I would have expected at least one grass-type in the kids in the leadup to him. Still, cross-type combo Gym Leaders are a pretty good step up the difficulty ladder.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Never realized Delta Grimer had Sap Sipper

that's pretty neat

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lowering experience to 1 is a bit extreme but it's still a far better way to punish or stop excessive grinding than what Reborn does, plus it's only on Hard mode which... clearly lives up to its name, which is fair, since you're the one that wants to play that if you select it, and you still have two other difficulties that seem pretty well balanced, level curve aside.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I’m gonna say it, Insurgence has the makings of a good game in there. The dumb edgy story feels more silly than offensive compared to Reborn. More importantly the people who made Insurgence seem to actually care about the gameplay beyond just making it “hardcore”.

The gym just now looked like a fun challenge that you would see in a real game, and it succeeds in making the game challenging to more competitive players without being bullshit. It gives you the tools to meet any challenge so far, it seems they were careful to balance the Gym leader’s team in a way that is fair, and even warns you ahead of time what you need to be ready for.

The best thing is that they even give you easy mode that plays more closely to the actual Pokémon games, as well as a hard mode for people who have brain problems.

I can’t hate this fangame, they actually did some decent work. Also they made a crab cake.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I like that they have the normal story vs the "dark" story slider, too. Also, that the description of the dark slider included people fusing with Pokemon, something very similar to what Bill did in the very first ever Pokemon game.

EDIT: fixed post to be more accurate.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The quality is questionable at times, but this feels like a group trying to emulate the real games, changing specific things to fit their (questionably positive) preferences and/or resolve common issues with the main series

Reborn is a thin veneer of game over a third-person viewing of a roleplay session, with a few periods of filler level grinding when the player character needs to be stronger to match the arbitrary npc strength growth

It turns out...it all makes perfect sense

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Lowering experience to 1 is a bit extreme but it's still a far better way to punish or stop excessive grinding than what Reborn does, plus it's only on Hard mode which... clearly lives up to its name, which is fair, since you're the one that wants to play that if you select it, and you still have two other difficulties that seem pretty well balanced, level curve aside.
Yeah, Hard mode in this game reminds me of Lunatic Reverse in Fire Emblem Awakening or Stygian Mode in Darkest Dungeon. Some people just like to play games on the "hate yourself more" level of difficulty. Whatever, if they find it fun them more power to them, I guess.:shrug:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, if it’s not too spoilery to ask... Is it going to be a while before we hit the next “holy poo poo that got dark again” point in the story?

Red John
Jul 12, 2018
Cool game, fun let’s play. Would prefer every 9/10 comments to be something other than pointing out issues from the reborn train wreck, but hey.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Red John posted:

Cool game, fun let’s play. Would prefer every 9/10 comments to be something other than pointing out issues from the reborn train wreck, but hey.

It can't be helped. Our baseline for fangames is, sadly, Uranium and Reborn. And while Uranium is bad, Reborn is terrible so we have it constantly in our mind, thus it's not exactly surprising that we're constantly comparing Insurgence with Reborn. Plus, see the title of the thread, even that is a direct comparison with Reborn.

But see that the comments are consistently positive. Insurgence absolutely did not have our trust, and it managed to earn it. That's impressive! It even has stuff that I'd like to see in the actual Pokemon games (difficulty settings, for one) and stuff that became part of the mainline later and was very well recieved there as well (the Delta Pokemon here, with the Alolan Forms in Sun/Moon). Insurgence definitely stands out on its own - and the comparisons may make us like it even more, too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blaze Dragon posted:

It even has stuff that I'd like to see in the actual Pokemon games (difficulty settings, for one)

I forgive you for forgetting black and white 2 had those. And that they were version locked postgame rewards.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

I forgive you for forgetting black and white 2 had those. And that they were version locked postgame rewards.

I didn't forget, I genuinely don't even count them due to how terribly implemented they were. I have nothing but absolute, undying love for Gen V - but that Hard Mode was the most terrible attempt at a difficulty selection I've seen this side of Digimon World Next Order. Do not lock a difficulty mode by game completion in a game that gives you one loving save slot! Also don't force people to trade for it!

Also from what I've read (because I sure as hell couldn't play them) they're pretty hosed and Hard Mode ends up easier due to more exp, lol. Balance is hard.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
well it's been more than a decade since I last played a pokemon game, but reading this lp made me want to pick this game up and play along. I'm particularly curious about the non-dark narrative, since after the whole cult hostage + human sacrifice thing during the first five minutes of gameplay, eveything so far seems mostly family friendly even in dark mode.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. This is gonna be a short update just covering the plot dump after the first gym battle.

: Hey, Amy, it's me, Nora. Did someone run by here just now?

That first sentence, while technically grammatically correct, had a comma between nearly every word.

: I'm going to check it out.

The game doesn't force us into this plot development, so we could heal up if we wanted to. There's no need to, so we'll just tag along and stare at the proceedings.

: Harmony, what are you doing here? I'm in the middle of my work shift... I'm accepting challenges right now.
: Orion, we need to get out of here!

: My friend is pretty heavy...

:sigh:

There's a pretty good chance that Harmony could take them on. She's incredibly strong and we'll get the opportunity to test that for ourselves later in the story.

out of here!

: For crying out loud, this is why they shouldn't let kids be Gym Leaders!

:drat: Kinda cruel to the kid, ain't she?

That, uh... that looks like a Kyurem.

: Legendary Pokemon are hard to control, you know.

and electricity solid.

: I work for the cult known as Perfection.

Taen looks so loving goofy. I'd like to imagine both the little girls in the back are just (quietly) snickering to each other at his dumb bowl cut and pants-based pokeball holster.

thing.

: But that doesn't mean you should take us lightly.

: You're friends with the rock?

: That's sooooo cute!

Lots of adults getting "sick burns" on an actual child in this update.

: Tell us what you want and leave.

:what:

: What? No way! I'd die first!

Get out of the way.

: Not a chance! Leave us alone!

: Insolent child!

Dude, that's pretty hosed up even by fangame standards. You don't just do that. What the gently caress.

dis-

The screen shakes.

: ...what was that?

Taen does a pretty good job of making himself hateable. It takes a real dickbag to come in, make fun of a lonely small child for having an imaginary friend, and then actually full-on open hand smack him across the face when he tries to protect that same imaginary friend.

The screen shakes more.

Good job Taen, your douchebaggery made the white rock explode.

Show of hands... who all remembers what this little animation entails?

That would be the second third of the Tao Trio. All we need now is Zekrom to complete the set.

: That is Reshiram... the being of Truth.

pieces of the same Pokemon.

: However, fighting and war eventually split the three apart.

fallen into Orion's care.

The White Rock is possibly a dormant and non-glowing version of The Light Stone. You know, the legendary artifact from Unova that Reshiram's body turned into when it died?

Reshiram takes one look at the group and decides to fly off.

: It seems like Reshiram has fled.

: Let's get going, Kyurem. We have a dragon to catch!

completely right.

: And now your friend's fled off...

: I didn't see you two there.

Yes Harmony, two preteen girls are cultists.

: No, of course not! We're trainers!

Ignoring the fact that Amy is wearing a Cult of Darkrai jumpsuit.

: My name is Harmony.

Harmony is the fourth gym leader. I have some capital-w-Words regarding her when we get there.

: I'm a challenger. Amy beat Orion earlier today.

to keep.

Nora is the world's worst secret keeper. She's the kind of kid that would walk around chanting "I know something you don't know and I can't tell you!"

: Was that...?

again!

:unsmith:

blue-haired guy.

never dreamed you were a legendary.

: I'm guessing you two have some catching up to do.
: Yeah... thanks. I'll battle you later, if that's alright.

:toot::toot::toot:

Ladies and gentlemen... I am pleased to announce that we now have the Surf replacement.

We'll just leave him alone with his terrifying fire dragon.

Alright, that's enough for this mini update. Next time, for real, we'll hit the new route.

But wait... I almost forgot. We have Surf now so let me just make a gigantic list... I'm also cutting out redundant entries, otherwise this list would be twice as long from all the repeated encounters across routes and towns.

Shade Forest (Surf)

Poliwag
Mantyke

Telnor Cave (Surf)

Wooper
Shellos (West Sea)

Route 1 (Surf)

Lotad
Oshawott

Dark Cave (Surf)

Ducklett (10%)

Midna Garden (Surf)

Tentacool
Piplup
Surskit (1%)

Midna Mine (Surf)

Poliwag
Seel

Route 2 (Surf)

Krabby

Cyan Caverns (Surf)

Wooper
Panpour (10%)

Suntouched Exitway

Timburr (1%)

Suntouched Exitway (Surf)

Piplup
Clauncher

Route 3

Sudowoodo
Seedot (15%)
Nuzleaf (5%)
Ralts
Kirlia (10%)
Petilil

Route 3 (Old Rod)

Basculin (Red) (15%)
Basculin (Blue) (15%)

Route 3 Hidden Grotto

Charmander
Pansage
Throh
Sawk

Route 3 Trade

Delta Scyther (Trade Steel Type) (Will cover next update)

Metchi Town

Marill Egg (Purchase for $3000)

Metchi Town (Old Rod)

Alomomola

If some of those lists look thin, it's because there's a lot of redundancies when it comes to surfing and fishing encounters. You can catch Tentacool on six different routes, for instance. Also it makes the lists easier to parse.

ALSO ALSO

Now that we have the first badge, the following items are now for sale from any pokemart:

Great Ball
Super Potion*
Ice Heal
Paralyze Heal
Awakening
Burn Heal
Escape Rope

* Technically have been available to purchase in Midna Town since the Ancient Ruins story beat. Available 100% of the time in Suntouched City

So see you guys...

NEXT TIME: Route 3, Metchi Town, and Secret bases too!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...Huh. I would have never guessed that would have happened. Well, sucks to be anyone challenging his gym now, since Reshiram fits his theme. :v:

I also want to point out another thing this game has over Reborn, and that's the tail that all the text boxes have to point to who's talking. When you've got multiple sprites on-screen, could be hard to keep track of who's who. I think that might have helped a ton with the whole... loads of characters in Reborn, and I have a feeling we'll get quite a few characters here too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlackPersona posted:

...Huh. I would have never guessed that would have happened. Well, sucks to be anyone challenging his gym now, since Reshiram fits his theme. :v:

I also want to point out another thing this game has over Reborn, and that's the tail that all the text boxes have to point to who's talking. When you've got multiple sprites on-screen, could be hard to keep track of who's who. I think that might have helped a ton with the whole... loads of characters in Reborn, and I have a feeling we'll get quite a few characters here too.

I think, and sorry to go back to the Reborn and Uranium well for comparisons. But we're used to zany, dumb gimmicks that's meant to give them 'Character' so it's weird to see one of those elements actually come into play, in a way that, even minus the cult angle, kind of makes sense. We know some pokemon can become or have stones related to them, if not Reshriam, it could easily be Spiritomb and an Odd Keystone.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
That was actually really cute, and I’m glad that Orion actually had a friend in that rock the whole time. :3:

I am too busy to start a new Pokémon game, but I’m currently convinced to download this as soon as I have more free time. Thanks for the great Let’s Play and helping me realize that some of these fangames are actually good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh hey, the rock did get to have a point after all!
You should use a delta scyther and name it Arnold

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Huh. I assumed the rock would be a Jirachi, since (if i'm not misremembering) it's also associated with a white rock, though a significantly more generic one than what Reshiram turned into.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I had a feeling that might've been Reshiram. I didn't expect it (and Kyurem) to come up so soon, though.

Is he going to have Reshiram for his (presumably existent) rematch team?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That cult leader's dialog makes me think of a commercial from the 80s where a smiling, pipe smoking guy with a perfect haircut tells you about what kind of fishing lures he uses. "Hi, my name is George and I work for a cult. Now we might not look like most cults, but don't get us wrong - we're just as dedicated to bringing about the apocalypse as anyone! And when I buy ceremonial knife polish for my cultists, I stick to the best: Peterson's Brand Eldritch Gleam(tm) Knife Polish, available from quality cult supply stores near you."

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Go back and get the Cake Crab, dang it. Surely you have enough Pokeball money to catch a Totodile by now. And I don't think the thread will let you forget about it until you do.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arkanian posted:

Go back and get the Cake Crab, dang it. Surely you have enough Pokeball money to catch a Totodile by now. And I don't think the thread will let you forget about it until you do.
:yeah:

You can even buy Great Balls now, so there's no excuse!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You should use a Krabby and name it Mr Krabs cause the bad claw boy doesn't see much use these days.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, now we have a chance for Piplup. Penguin Power all the way!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

FoolyCharged posted:

You should use a delta scyther and name it Arnold

Seconding this. I'm using Delta Scyther on my playthrough and it's an absolute beast.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I am also using a Delta Scyther because the one I got was an absolute unit.
But I still have somewhat mixed feelings.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Arkanian posted:

:agreed:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kikas posted:

You should use a Delta Crustle and name it Mr. Krabs.

Are you feeling it now, Mr. Krabs?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Arkanian posted:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Well, you gotta get a Piplup. We must assemble the starters.

However, Ralts is the real prize. Whether you go Gallade or Gardevoir, though I suspect the latter might be more useful.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only reason I'm not saying 'get a ralts' is because I'm using a Gardevoir and that would be boring.
Gardevoir is absolutely effing beast mode though.

I didn't even set out to use her long-term but she's too useful to swap out.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

ChrisBTY posted:

The only reason I'm not saying 'get a ralts' is because I'm using a Gardevoir and that would be boring.
Gardevoir is absolutely effing beast mode though.

I didn't even set out to use her long-term but she's too useful to swap out.

I second that. I always use a Gardevoir, so that would be boring for an LP.

I agree with the chorus chanting 'Cake Crab'. Cake Crab is best crab.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 21, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My first run used Gardevoir, actually. It was a mainstay of my team from the third gym clear through the postgame, and was one of three designated dragon killers I had. I'm not going to use one in this run for that reason. We'll also be finding Delta Ralts in a few updates, and I'm not going to use it either for the exact same reason. I'm trying to avoid the LP run from being identical to the one I've already done.

So yeah, I'm using an executive no on both of those. Sorry.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Now that we've gotten that out of the way.

The people demand cake crab. The people deserve cake crab. Ok the people probably don't deserve cake crab.
Still. cake crab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

DoubleNegative posted:

My first run used Gardevoir, actually. It was a mainstay of my team from the third gym clear through the postgame, and was one of three designated dragon killers I had. I'm not going to use one in this run for that reason. We'll also be finding Delta Ralts in a few updates, and I'm not going to use it either for the exact same reason. I'm trying to avoid the LP run from being identical to the one I've already done.

So yeah, I'm using an executive no on both of those. Sorry.

:toughguy: You have made a powerful enemy this day.