Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DoubleNegative posted:

No idea my dude.

Okay, I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

SirSamVimes posted:

The Delta Ralts line is extremely ugly.

Punk Rocker Gardevoir is awesome. :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

:allears:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Why did you give it a dick?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That's the dripping oil that's on the Delta Sunkern sprite. She didn't add anything.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SirSamVimes posted:

The Delta Ralts line is extremely ugly.

I kind of like the glam rock/pop singer look.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
When DN showed me this back sprite earlier, my initial response was "...Big Bird got the Super Crown?" :v:

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 28, 2018

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

:allears: These are wonderful!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Maybe D-Ralts line is supposed to be an ice skater? Because I'm getting some Blades of Glory vibes from that color scheme.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

ApeHawk posted:

Maybe D-Ralts line is supposed to be an ice skater? Because I'm getting some Blades of Glory vibes from that color scheme.

I always saw it as more the punk/glam rock thing, but ice skater seems more likely/appropriate. Gardevoir has kind of a ballroom thing going on, so it's possible.

Either way, I love it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Is it too late to request that you use Shellos/Gastrodon at some point?

Some love for my absolute favorite pokemon would be awesome. :kimchi:

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

The boobs are weird, but I love how happy Mega Delta Gardivoir looks.

Count me as another person who was amazed by Delta Gardivoir’s ability to gently caress poo poo up. I forget how I came across it, but apparently Delta Gard is one of the most used deltas in this game. Probably because it comes so early, and covers a lot of stuff.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh good my least favorite gym is coming up.
Eager to see how you handle it without the strategy I always use.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Thundersword238 posted:

Count me as another person who was amazed by Delta Gardivoir’s ability to gently caress poo poo up. I forget how I came across it, but apparently Delta Gard is one of the most used deltas in this game. Probably because it comes so early, and covers a lot of stuff.

Also because until you start delving into cultivated moveset synergy and competitive-tier teams, Pokemon is a battle engine that prioritizes fast, hard-hitting sweepers over anything else. If you can murder your enemy in a single hit then nothing else matters, right? It helps that Electric and Ice have perfect neutral coverage offensively and that Gardevoir has the perfect stats to be running Thunderbolt/Ice Beam even as a Psychic/Fairy type. Delta Gardevoir was honestly created with overwhelming power in mind.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Hmmm. When's the earliest you can get a Minccino in this game? I really love those little fluff ball tail sweeping pokemon. Used one in White 1 and she swept so much trash up it was criminal.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

KataraniSword posted:

Also because until you start delving into cultivated moveset synergy and competitive-tier teams, Pokemon is a battle engine that prioritizes fast, hard-hitting sweepers over anything else. If you can murder your enemy in a single hit then nothing else matters, right? It helps that Electric and Ice have perfect neutral coverage offensively and that Gardevoir has the perfect stats to be running Thunderbolt/Ice Beam even as a Psychic/Fairy type. Delta Gardevoir was honestly created with overwhelming power in mind.
Even among competitive teams sometimes all you need is a few strong sweepers to tear your opponent's team apart. Garchomp, Lucario, Mega-Kangashkan, Mega Pinsir, Greninja, Dragon Dance Mega Tyranitar, off the wall stuff like Life Orb Deoxys-S, there's no shortage of powerful Pokemon to choose from.

That's not even including the legendaries who take sweeping to a terrifying level: Sword Dance Extreme Speed Arceus, Geomancy Xerneas, Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza, Mega Mewtwo X/Mega Mewtwo Y, or even just OG Mewtwo who will wipe the floor with your team in literally every generation since the first one.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 28, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I really like Moxie Krookodile with a lot of speed. Once I take down my first poke, nothing is gonna stop him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

This game is oddly charming at times.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gardevoir/Gallade is all glamourous and dainty. Delta-Gardevoir should be Rock-Steel and be made outta punk rock. Lots of steel studs and making fierce faces for the camera.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, I've been playing along because I'm crazy and I just noticed something really interesting. I'm using the Level Trainer in the Secret Base and while some of my team is earning around 1500 EXP per Audino around level 30, my Delta Charmeleon is only earning about 400.

Edit: Nevermind, I must have hit level 10 instead of 20, because it's working now.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 29, 2018

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Other than how it looks the Delta Sunkern line is a pretty big departure from the real thing. There's enough of a new concept there that you can make a whole new Pokemon out of it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Akratic Method posted:

Why did you give it a dick?

see a dick, draw a dick
that's my life philosophy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

dungeon cousin posted:

Other than how it looks the Delta Sunkern line is a pretty big departure from the real thing. There's enough of a new concept there that you can make a whole new Pokemon out of it.

That sums up a lot of the Deltas though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I honestly really like Delta Grimer/Muk over Alolan Grimer/Muk. I know the sandcastle ghost exists, but still.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alolan Muk doesn't have a friend renting out his mouth.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

Alolan Muk doesn't have a friend renting out his mouth.

In this economy??? Delta Muk is doing them a favor tbh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so, plot edginess and meta bullshit aside, I do have to say they at least have some decent mechanical ideas for the game.

I expect the entire plot to rear its ugly as gently caress head soon though, it's been super subdued.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

iospace posted:

Ok, so, plot edginess and meta bullshit aside, I do have to say they at least have some decent mechanical ideas for the game.

I expect the entire plot to rear its ugly as gently caress head soon though, it's been super subdued.

Same. Honestly, the intro section is really jarring compared to everything else we’ve seen so far... So I’m expecting the facade to crack again sometime soon.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The plot is pretty much on hold for the moment. After the gym battle in the next update, we get a small dose of it, and then it goes back into hibernation for like 4 routes. Then it hibernates for several more routes before it finally kicks into gear and starts moving in earnest.

So the reprieve continues for a while yet!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Miss posted:

see a dick, draw a dick
that's my life philosophy

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

So, here we are in front of the second gym. I wasn't looking forward to doing this boss fight and now I'm sure as hell not looking forward to covering it.

First off, here's the gym guide guy.

Welcome to the Vipik City Gym!

Xavier's platform is just up here. But in order to reach it, we have to go through the second worst type of maze.

The inside of each tree trunk is dark and more than once the path splits. I don't think flash is a move in this game, and the replacement item won't be found for a while more. So how do we navigate the maze? See the sides of the little light circle? You can juuuust barely make out the edges of the path. It's only ever 3 tiles wide, so as long as you can see both edges of the screen you're fine. Yes, it's a loving terrible gimmick.

Because I kinda remember where to go, we're going right at the T intersection in one of the images above. Can't you see it? It's plainly right there.

Each of the trees like the one we're standing in front of is another underground entrance. So you just have to keep a mental map as you go through the area.

you have to say about it!

Part of me is thinking that it's awful early to be learning Flamethrower, but level 30 is firmly the midgame in any other pokemon title. Here, we're in the second gym of eight!

Flamethrower replaces Incinerate and now Infector is perfectly positioned to take on the gym leader.

Right...

Anyway, random choice says we're going right first.

This is yet another T intersection. We go left here.

I want to give a shout out to Avery's Shuckle. Despite being burnt, he still went forward with his Power Trick idea. It takes guts to swap Shuckle's impressive defense and its pathetic attack around, when the attack already is taking a 30% penalty.

You might call me crazy, but I'm not learning Solar Beam here. This gym is Infector's time to shine, and grass moves are pretty much useless against bug and poison types.

Sure thing, kid.

Anyway, back in the tree and over to the other side of the intersection.

Welp.

Let's try the other tree.

It's a straight shot through.

Like I said, as long as you keep a mental map of where you've been and where you need to go, this isn't a difficult gym gimmick.

Would you believe that I specifically sought you out for a battle?

She had a team full of poison types, and I'm using Zucchini. Anyway, there's nothing else in here, so we're now done with the right side of the first intersection.

Chompy Boy, as it turns out, is an equally bad idea to bring into this gym. Lots of bug types wanting to put a hurt on a dark type...

:2bong: Seriously. Xavier is a lowkey pothead.

Random choice says let's take the lower tree first.

It's yet another straight shot across.

gently caress off.

At 31, duranduran replaces Bite with its bigger, meaner brother.

No really. gently caress right the gently caress off with that Arceus worship crap.

This tree doesn't have a knot, so I guess that means this is a dead end.

I'm going to take this healing opportunity to swap out Chompy Boy for another ace in my pocket.

But first he should probably evolve.

No.

Some pretty nice gains all around! I'm looking forward to using him more, especially in the upcoming routes.

Clarence will be tagging in for the leader fight.

Moveset could use some work, but I've seen worse.

Rage is a terrible move, but Return is a really good one that will only get stronger if we use Clarence more after this.

Clarence is a little underleveled, but it should be fine. Famous last words, those.

I didn't see it at the time, but the path in the tree splits again. I went down, but presumably up went to another trainer.

gently caress. My first playthrough, I used the level trainer to take my team all to 35. I was also running a Ponyta on my team, who I then used all through the gym to take out the trash trainers. By the time I had gotten to this point, that Ponyta was a Rapidash. So I had something much faster than all of Xavier's team hitting him stupidly hard for weaknesses. I rolled right over them.

This time? My team is in the early-mid 30s, and nobody is higher than 35. Xavier's team is all between 33 and 35. duranduran, somehow the lowest leveled member of the team, will be going up first.

: What's good? The name's Xavier.

: You here to battle? Sweet!

: Let's get started!

Xavier is not Insurgence's best sprite work. I can't decide if it's his absolute mountain of John Deere Green hair or the fact that he's like twice as big as every other sprite in the game... but something is off about him. Anyway, let's actually look at his team.

I shamelessly look up what these teams are beforehand so I can make plans. Shuckle will be first up which is why duranduran is going out first. Steel will hit for supereffective against Rock. Likewise, Zucchini is here to counter the Croagunk. However, the two biggest threats on the team are the Haunter and the Beedrill. The Beedrill is not only custom built to counter whatever it's weak to, but it can mega evolve! The Haunter, meanwhile, just hits like a runaway train.

So let's get started.

And by "get started" I mean show a greatest hits reel.

I reset the first attempt at the fight when it became clear I wasn't going to win. It took half of my team to take out half of his and things were steadily going downhill. Next up was his Tentacruel, and I had serious doubts about Zucchini's ability to handle it, despite its weakness to psychic.

The second attempt starts out well!

I expected this to happen.

This, however, I didn't.

Clarence is a pretty good answer to the Beedrill, so that's a solved problem for future attempts. If I had taken him up to 34 or 35, he would probably outspeed the Mega Beedrill and would one shot it regardless. Instead, he takes it down to 1 HP with a supereffective STAB attack. Not bad for a 4 level difference, especially when the other side is mega evolved.

The Beedrill is Xavier's ace. However, this Haunter caused me more problems than anything else he had.

Haunter is hitting really loving hard with Shadow Ball. Even when it's neutral, he one shots most everything on my team.

If Crunch could have landed, duranduran would have torn it apart. Instead she never got a chance to act.

Clarence goes down and with him, my chances at victory.

Thundervolt trades with Haunter and eventually emerges victorious, but it was not a good exchange.

I spend too many turns setting up with HenryDavid and Heracross takes him out.

Game over. I lose.

This is the fifth attempt. The others died at various points in the battle, but none were as interesting as the second.

duranduran takes out the shuckle across something like 9 turns. It attacked with rollout once, and spent the rest of the time using Curse and trying to repeatedly lay down Sticky Webs. :shrug:

Rather than send Clarence in, possibly to his death, I elect to leave duranduran in against the Beedrill.

Thanks to duranduran being a beast, she very nearly takes out the Mega Beedrill. She only falls flat at the end when it combines its stupidly high attack with STAB X-Scissor.

Knock Off was probably not the smartest choice for the Beedrill to use. Clarence wipes the floor with it.

Croagunk is screwed here, so moving on...

There's no good answer here. Clarence can hit the Haunter pretty hard with Pursuit, but...

It's a familiar story.

Infector barely holds it together against the Haunter. Neither was hitting for supereffective damage, but they were both special attack powerhouses.

I thought this was a solved issue. I was wrong. I forgot that Tentacruel is a loving wall.

Supereffective STAB damage did that much. Yeah.

Zucchini hits it as hard as he possibly can.

By the way, this is a thing for both Tentacruel and Haunter. Just that little extra "gently caress you."

By the way, that wasn't regular poison. That Tentacruel was going below the belt as hard as it could.

I call bullshit on this, by the way. On poison damaging your pokemon if they stay in battle after KOing something.

HenryDavid takes the Heracross down to half HP and then succumbs to Toxic.

Oh gently caress me.

:suspense: Victories don't get much more clutch than that...

I can't believe I won. :staredog:

: That's called Mega Evolution! It's pretty impressive, right? Maybe one day you'll get to do it too...

Please no. I don't want to. You can't make me!

:sigh: I'm going to have to go, aren't I?

Leader with gym based around the sky uses dragon pokemon. Film at 11.

Seriously... how the gently caress did I pull that off?

with me.

loving hell Nora. This is your fault and now we have to pick up the pieces.

of the town.

Anyway, that's it for now. With the second badge, a bunch of poo poo opens up. So...

For Sale in Pokemarts Now

Ultra Ball
Hyper Potion
Revive
Super Repel

Vipik Dump

Grimer
Gulpin
Stunky
Venipede
Trubbish

Crossroads

Growlithe
Weepinbell
Ditto
Kecleon
Fletchling

Crossroads (Surf)

Slowpoke

Route 5

Roselia
Luxray
Glameow (10%)
Servine
Cottonee (5%)
Floette

Route 5 (Surf)

Croconaw
Prinplup

Route 5 (Fishing)

Seadra
Lanturn

Samsara Cave

Machoke
Graveler
Riolu
Boldore
Delta Pidgey

NEXT TIME: The Vipik Dump!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm sorry, did that say Mega Bong?

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
The Mega Beedrill was something I've been patiently waiting to talk about and hooo boy. I ended up taking it out with lots of switch cheesing and Fake Out Delta Ambipom. Yes, that was literally the best plan I had. It was a ride that's painful to think about. I probably would have been better off if I had a bird or something, since Flying types don't die by super effective attacks. just from being hit super hard

If anyone playing along doesn't think they're ready for it yet, the Easy fight's Beedrill only has a Life Orb. Which is, uh, still kinda strong, but hey. Not sure if it changes his dialogue, but it probably would given he doesn't do the mega evolving.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Mega Bong? Seriously? For a second there I had this mixed up with Reborn and OFS' Big Bong.

That was definitely a clutch victory. This doesn't look like a horribly designed fight, really, though I can see how it gets frustrating. It's also a pleasant surprise to see Bug/Poison being effective, I know neither of those types are nearly as bad as they were back in the day but it's still not something I ever expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sorry, did that say Mega Bong?
yes

I'm playing along and finished this gym a couple of days ago. I had a lot less trouble after grinding my team up to 35ish across the board. Delta Charizard with Shadow Sneak did some work against Mega Beedrill and Haunter.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 31, 2018