Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is it ok to talk about our experiences with other fan games that have been mentioned in this thread? Because I just gave infinite fusion a shot and oh my god, does it let you create the doofiest-looking abominations of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Go for it! This thread wouldn't exist if not for people in the Reborn thread talking about Insurgence. Maybe someone will get inspired and start the next pokemon fangame thread.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright then! First off, I don't know how common this is for fan-games, but the performance is godawful. Luckily, it comes with built-in turbo and automatic run toggle, or it would just be intolerable. The encounter rate is SMT-grade excessively high, so stock up on those repels, you'll want them.

However, this is a game that anyone who has the slightest interest in pokemon at all really has to experience. If you've ever asked yourself "hey, what if I could pay 500 pokebucks to see what it would really look like if a Hoothoot and a Mr. Mime got jiggy with it," this game will let you know.

And oh my god does it ever let you know. Let's say hello to our abomination of the evening, Hoot Jr.!

"my life is pain and agony"

I have literally not found a combination yet that didn't make me laugh out loud. Ever wanted to have the ability to make a pokemon with literally any combination of types and the entire, unabridged moveset of both its parents? This is the game for you.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then! First off, I don't know how common this is for fan-games, but the performance is godawful. Luckily, it comes with built-in turbo and automatic run toggle, or it would just be intolerable.

Oh yes, this is VERY common.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

DoubleNegative posted:

The Department Store is gonna take a bit to go over. There's a looot of poo poo for sale in there. Someone in the Reborn thread posted a huge list of everything that's for sale, and that, along with the "it's not poo poo" testimonials was what convinced me to give the game a shot. Now it's 2 months since I read that and here we are.
I am pleased to have contributed to the creation of this LP. :D

And yeah, I love that Insurgence happily hands you a bunch of the end-game items and says "have fun". poo poo, one of the NPCs just gave you a Life Orb with no questions asked.

Also I vote that you use Dumbleduck wizard duck because this post is very true:

Zore posted:

Uh, what are people talking about with Delta Ludicolo having a bad level-up movelist? Psyshock is fantastic (letting you hit Def lets you actually take on special walls) and it learns loving Aura Sphere as coverage naturally in the mid-30s. Plus surf isn't that much further in the game.

It also gets Water Spout which is a really good move right around where you are level-wise.

:psyduck:
Insurgence's weird-as-gently caress level curve means that once you bring Delta Ludicolo up to speed you can easily run a moveset of Psyshock/Aura Sphere/Water Spout and a filler move (Water Pulse/Fake Out/Psybeam/whatever filler TM you already have) until you get Surf. Water Spout is actually fairly OP when you're talking about in-game use, since healing items mean that Water Spout is usually hitting at 120+ power if not the full 150 power. There's a reason Kyogre was the king of Ubers for like 3 generations, and STAB Water Spout is/was a big part of it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then! First off, I don't know how common this is for fan-games, but the performance is godawful.

Par for the course. They're all made with Essentials, which is for RPG Maker XP. As the name suggests, XP was designed to run on Windows XP and plays super poorly with anything even resembling a modern system.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
RPG Maker XP games don't necessarily run poorly; not brilliantly, but not as stuttery as most Pokemon Essentials games I've tried out.
It's mostly the mass of scripts that make up Essentials. Tinkering that much with pretty much every system in the game has essentially made it into an almost entirely new engine, and Essentials probably isn't as well-made as XP was in the first place.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Well, yes, but if Essentials was based on a more modern engine even the amount of poo poo it messes with would run significantly better.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kikas posted:

Oh yes, this is VERY common.

Pokemon Essentials is very good for being a well-rounded, in-depth adaptation of the Pokemon mechanics into RPGMaker. Pokemon Essentials is very bad at being well-optimized.

Pretty much any fangame (as opposed to romhack) is going to be sluggish as hell on all but the most tip-top computers.

And since Nintendo has apparently tried C&Ding it into the ground (albeit unsuccessfully) I can't see the developers porting it to VX or MV any time soon. (Especially MV - it's coming out on Switch and has multiplatform support so I can just see some chucklefuck trying to make a Pokemon Essentials for MV and getting reduced into a fine pink mist of legal action)

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
About that. This is only the first MV Pokemon Essentials attempt I could find. I didn't exactly make a deep search, and I now know there are at least two out there, because this isn't the one I recall finding a few months back.

Maybe not the developers of XP, but other people were already working on MV versions.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i'm just reading the bug gym fight and hoo jeez that is nasty. setting up speed control webs with a shuckle, a wallbreaker haunter, a goddamn mega bee being used to terrifying effect, a toxic walling tentacruel and a heracross thrown in for good measure. i think you got off easy on the heracross because a properly built heracross is a goddamn amazing physical wallbreaker; pair closecombat with megahorn and kiss the enemy goodbye. those sticky webs especially are goddamn insidious and a favourite trick of mine, it inflicts a 2/3 speed penalty basically guaranteeing you'll outspeed the opponent unless your 'mon just doesn't gofast at all. this is a competitive grade team; like, i bet you could take this into pokemon showdown and dunk on some scrubs.

edit: oh jeez, the department store has a toxic orb and a flame orb. you could set up some nasty gimmicks with that, keep it in mind if you ever get a 'mon with Toxic Heal or Guts for ability, or Trick in its moveset. life orb notably absent, disappointing.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 14, 2018

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Double Negative, do different trainers of the same class have different colors? It's not the case in the normal Pokémon games, and I saw that each of those Hikers had the same colors, but there's no way that that Youngster Bobby was not colored that way on purpose.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

It's the same sprite for every Youngster.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Well, what a coincidence then.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

These numbers just won't do. Those are rookie numbers!

So I spend $10,000 on a personal taxi man for the secret base. This will be used surprisingly often despite the pika car guy being in nearly every town in the game.

First off, everyone meet Boppo the Wynaut. Named for a clown punching bag because, let's be honest, that'll be his job.

For all the both good and bad this statement entails, he's a Wobbuffet. Now that we've met him, back onto the mantle he goes, waiting for the right time.

Now for the second trick... I need RealDoll and that Axew we caught at the TV Station.

For whatever reason the Axew doesn't get along well with her blow-up doll.

So while we wait (yes I know it's based on steps, shhhh) let's go shopping for clothes.

Hats

Headband
Miner's Helmet
Fedora
Poop Hat
Straw Hat
Beret
Beanie
Youngster Cap
Cat ears
Devil Horns
Silver Crown
Golden Crown

Shirts

Red Shirt
Blue Shirt
Green Shirt
Purple Shirt
Black Shirt
Orange Shirt
Pink Shirt
Yellow Shirt
Alt. Jumpsuit
Lords Suit

Pants

Blue Pants
Red Pants
Green Pants
Gray Pants
Alt. Jumppants
Lords Pants

Backpacks

Green Pack
Black Pack
Blue Pack
Green Pack (There really are two green packs)
Magenta Pack
Orange Pack
Red Pack
Yellow Pack

Hair Dye

Purple Dye
Blue Dye
Brown Dye
Black Dye
Red Dye
Blonde Dye
Green Dye
Pink Dye
Cyan Dye

I buy the Alt. Jumpsuit set and one of the green packs.

Buying clothes opens up another menu option on our backpack that lets us Wonder Woman into new clothes.

I like this new look. Amy finally is wearing some shoes... or at the very least socks. It also has the look of an adult's job uniform that's been scaled down for a little kid. Viewed from that angle, it's downright adorable. :3:

A few minutes later...

Axew eggs take a very long time to hatch.

Now we can get the wizard duck at level 1!

Then in the worst case of bad timing ever, I hit the quicksave button right about here...

Then half a second later, this happened. The game decided that was the single best time to crash. Show of hands, who knows what happens when a game crashes while it's saving? If not, then I have some educational reading for you to peruse.

Unfortunately, RPG Maker and Pokemon Essentials productions have more sanity checking than Gen 2 games. So when the game crashes/is shut off during a save, the worst that happens isn't that we have to redo everything from the previous save with beneficial glitchy side-effects. No, in this case the save file data corrupts and is both unreadable and unrecoverable.

Thankfully, RPG Maker keeps 2 cycling backup saves. So we were able to recover and continue without losing basically any progress. I think I'm gonna start religiously backing up my save files because that's twice now inside of a month that the Curse has tried to gently caress with this LP.

Level 1 for a level 1.

We can have a lot of fun with Magic Bounce. Also gotta love our wizard duck being named for an infamous boss from another JRPG.

Demyx will need a water stone to evolve, so let's grab one of those.

I can't overstate just how much I love this Audino trainer.

I elect to not get Water Spout because it only has 5 PP and Insurgence likes to make you fight long stretches of trainers in locations where it's inconvenient to leave and return.

45 minutes later...

Thundervolt is at a dangerous level. Our current badge cap is 50 and she's a traded pokemon. Her stats also seem mediocre for this point in the game, but she has yet to evolve.

Demyx is a special wall, but otherwise is kinda not good? His only psychic STAB hits physical defense, and he has fighting coverage in a team that, once we're past the flying gym, will have HenryDavid covering that niche nicely.

Cockatrice has been benched in favor of Dracolich. His move set really hasn't changed much, but the only one I would change at this point would be Screech. Physical defense down is not a great status move for a special attacker like we have here.

Fancy's Wide Lens lets her Rollout hit 100% of the time, and Defense Curl doubles its already impressive damage. Factor in Earthquake and this elephant is an unstoppable force.

Noel has all around high stats. Between Freeze Dry and Aurora Beam, he's just as dangerous as an electric type to the upcoming gym. Freeze Dry in particular lets him hit for 4x supereffective on 2/3 of the gym leader's team... including his ace.

I'm pretty sure Sparky has the highest stat out of any member of the team. 156 is an insane special attack. His moves could use some work. Dazzling Gleam, in particular, should be Moonblast by this point. Thanks to my fuckup last time, that won't be happening. :mad:

So with our team of level 50 badasses, let's go into the sewers. :sigh:

Down into the basement of the department store...

Around the box maze...

And then down the memory hole.

Let me just quote the wiki here. From here at the fan go straight up..

Right

Down

And then left.

Oh that is so much better. You can also find this immediately by just following the age old advice for mazes: "just hug the wall to your right."

So now that we have the flashlight, let's pull up the map.

S - Store (Entrance)
F - Flashlight
Musical Note - Meloetta Tile Puzzle (Requires Strength and Rock Smash)
B - Black Market (Exit)

There's also a bunch of minor items like potions, repels, rare candies, and the Recycle TM. I'm not getting those because gently caress that.

So instead let's skip to the end of the maze. I don't have anyone on the team who has a Strength equivelent move currently, so we can't get finish the second tile puzzle. I'm beside myself with disappointment.

We probably don't need a map but... :shrug:

: This Black Market is creepy as heck. I'm glad you found your way down here too.

into the Jade Tower.

We're not in so big a hurry that we can't poke around here first. There's some really nice stuff down here!

TLDR: She lets us get trade evolutions. For free!

Meh. After some of the other powerhouses on the team, Electivire doesn't really impress.

Uh... ok.

When we have Dive we can use this little pool to get back to the surface quickly.

This guy is a Move Tutor that can teach any pokemon a move called Custom Move. For $500 we can teach the move to any pokemon we want. The only catch is that all users of Custom Move on our team get that same type.

Custom Move is a 15PP 70BP 100Accuracy physical move. You can change its name and type for free. Basically think of it as the physical Hidden Power, but there's no fuckery involved in getting the coverage type you want.

So if you like, come up with a name for the move and a type, and I'll teach it to Fancy or HenryDavid for coverage purposes.

This super nerd will, for $2000, give us another box in our PC. Handy if, for some reason, you want a living dex or a complete dex.

Northwest Vendor

MooMoo Milk - $500
Light Ball - $100
Black Sludge - $200
Shock Drive - $10,000
King's Rock - $100
Whipped Dream - $200

Southwest Vendor

Big Root $200
Heal Powder - $550
Timer Ball - $1,000
Chill Drive - $10,000
Satchet - $2,000
Stick - $200

Northeast Vendor

Rock Gem - $200
Exp. Share - $3,000
Ultra Ball - $1,200
Super Rod - $0 (Only 1)
Burn Drive - $10,000
Energy Root - $800
Thick Club - $500

Southeast Vendor

Skull Fossil - $1,000
Ice Heal - $250
Oval Charm - $7,000 (Increases likelihood of eggs at daycare) (Only 1)
Dusk Ball - $1,000
Douse Drive - $10,000
Energy Powder - $500
Old Amber - $1,000

Some nice finds in here. I pick up the Super Rod, but I'll hold off on discussing what opens up with it until we have the next badge.

Edgy. The Black Market has pokemon cockfighting. As opposed to the usual pokemon battling.

This game is so much better when it isn't trying to be all adult and poo poo.

I'd like to point out that from this point until we clear the events in the Jade Tower, if we want to leave and heal, we need to walk back out through this building here, out through the black market, back through the sewer maze, up and out of the department store, and then into the pokecenter.

This building is mercifully a linear path.

This is Taen. You remember... stupid bowl haircut, mocked a lonely child for having an imaginary friend. One that he then tried to steal.

: Oh... it's you.

: Get out of here, now! You-

: Sir...?
: I suppose you two don't remember me, huh?

: We've met each other in Telnor Town, back in Sylvan's Lab. Remember? The Delta Species Pokemon I offered you?

with a trainer.

immediately.

So Sylvan specifically asked Reukra to not kill us. That's... nice of her.... I think?

: Well, we don't really want to interfere with anything. We just want to get through! We heard there was a way into the Jade Tower from here. We need to see the Augur!

: ...and why would you two want to do that?

You know, he's not wrong.

: I... don't know. I just thought you would-

: I have a little project you can help with.

Villain monologue, so pressing fast forward.

TLDR: Dracolich was part of a failed experiment to create the perfect pokemon. After Deltas weren't perfect, Reukra moved on to Mega Evolution. Now I've saved you a good 20 text boxes of him monologuing.

Ah, good old Battle Data.

This is a one sided battle.

Our team is all level 50. This part of one of those "gotchas" that Insurgence loving loves to pull. I leveled the team to be on par with the upcoming gym leader and the boss fight immediately after.

Noel is Ice/Fairy type, which means that he takes basically no damage from Ice Beam and can't even be hit by Dragon Breath. So all this Kyurem can do is slash at him and make his speed fall.

Pyroar looks so goofy. Anyway, Fancy uses STAB supereffective Earthquake to make the fire type faint in a single blow.

I'm sure this is meant to be another "gotcha" moment because Mega Stunfisk.

Well, kinda. I forgot about that water move.

Then for reasons I can't guess at, Taen withdraws Stunfisk from a guaranteed two-turn KO on Demyx.

I legitimately don't get it. Grumpig here doesn't have anything supereffective against Demyx. Instead it walked the psychic pig into Dracolich's Shadow Ball.

And then Noel hits Mega Stunfisk with Freeze Dry and puts this farce to an end.

:shrug:

:toot:

Sure, whatever. Shine on with your battle data, you crazy idiot.

That's an item we can't get until extremely deep in the postgame.

However, the real prize is here! Now Dracolich can Mega Evolve!

In fact... let's meet the three starters nice and proper. Buckle in because this will take a while.

Female Delta Bulbasaur.

Female Delta Ivysaur.

Female Delta Venusaur.

Delta Bulbasaur is Fairy/Psychic type and is extremely powerful. It not only has an extremely good move pool, but the stats to make those moves work. The female one starts off really cute with the little flower by her ear, but then she evolves and :stonk:

For abilities, it has Psycho Call (Powers up psychic moves in a pinch) and Regenerator (Hidden; Restores HP when withdrawn from battle). Mega Delta Venusaur has Hubris (Boosts Special Attack after knocking out). It's as broken as it sounds like.

This is a really good Delta. I don't have anything bad to say except it's kinda really goddamned ugly once it evolves. A solid choice all around, and a solid workhorse of a starter.

For reasons he doesn't even understand, Leavemywife felt the sudden urge to click on this thread.

Anyway, Delta Squirtle isn't nearly as dire as I initially thought. The devs apparently were on their A-game for the starters, because Blastoise learns a lot of special moves and has the stats to do both attacks and special attacks merely okay. Honestly I still maintain that if you want a Dark/Fighting type, then you can spend 20 minutes looking for a Pancham who is physical-focused and puts the moves to better use than Blastoise here.

For abilities, Squirtle's line gets Shadow Call (Powers up dark moves in a pinch) and Shadow Dance (Hidden; Boosts the Speed stat when the New Moon is active). Mega Delta Blastoise retains its Mega Launcher ability. (Powers up aura and pulse moves)

I know I went out of order, but I want to finish off on...

You know it, you love it... Delta Charmander! Minus the past couple updates, Dracolich has been with us for much of the entire game so far. I don't need to talk about how good he is, because I've show that off pretty adequately. I do want to point out that when he mega evolves, he gets a base SpAtk of 159.

Charmander's line here gets Spirit Call (Powers up ghost moves in a pinch) and Dark Aura (Hidden; Dark Aura increases the damage dealt by Dark-type attacks by 33% for all Pokemon on the field) for abilities. The hidden ability there, I should point out, is Yveltal's signature ability.

Finally Mega Delta Charizard gets the Noctem ability. (The Pokemon summons darkness and blots out the sky as it enters the battle) You remember that New Moon status I was talking about a few updates ago? Noctem causes that. Even better, Charizard learns a dark type move that's Basically Solarbeam But For Dark.

Anyway, that's all for now!

NEXT TIME: Betrayal from within! The Gym Battle! The plot kicks into gear! It's an action packed finale to Helios City, so don't miss it!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

senrath posted:

Par for the course. They're all made with Essentials, which is for RPG Maker XP. As the name suggests, XP was designed to run on Windows XP and plays super poorly with anything even resembling a modern system.
After trying out one or two other RPGmaker games of this type, I can confidently say that no, it really isn't par - it's way, way worse. Like, you wouldn't believe how much worse. I don't know what the guy did to make the game chug that much, but holy crap is it bad. If the whole fusion mechanic wasn't literally the most original and interesting thing any pokemon hack or fangame has ever done, I wouldn't recommend even bothering.

Let's have another one: Pokémon Zero 0.6.1

Have you ever wanted to relive the halcyon days of elementary school when pokemon still made sense (and you didn't feel embarrassed for playing it), but can't stand the thought of having to deal with archaic mechanics and slow-as-molasses gameplay again? Well, this is the game for you.

This project is less than half a year old and it's already the best Pokémon fangame ever made. No, seriously. Don't let the dumb name fool you, it's literally just FireRed 2.0. No edgelord writing, no melodramatic new characters, no badly drawn new pokemon - it's almost like it isn't a fangame at all! Just the FireRed you loved when you were eight, but with all the bells and whistles and convenience features of a 7th gen game ported into it, including reusable TMs and tutors for every move up to and including Sun/Moon, universal XP share, autorun and fast-forward. The version number is misleading and is referring to intended additional features over vanilla FireRed, which will eventually include things like all the pokeymans ever and places to get them from. In terms of just being FireRed but better, it's already feature-complete and the entire game is playable from beginning to end, and then some.

The only idiosyncrasy I've run into so far is that everything is way, way bigger. Like, every map is scaled up by at least a factor of 3. No idea why, but it makes some sections both a lot easier and a lot harder, depending on the situation.

Seriously. Get it. It's actually good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This sounds absolutely terrible and completely devoid of any actual creativity, so I'll pass. If I wanted to dunk myself in nostalgia without any semblance of improvement or acknowledgement of the franchise's growth, I'd buy Let's Go.

Also Fire Red was pretty drat bland and far less than it should've been even back then, so putting it, and Kanto nostalgia in general, as the height of the franchise is laughable (but then again, it's also what Game Freak does, so I guess it is as true to the franchise as it can be)

On the update itself, that pseudo-dungeon probably should have a Nurse in it, that was a great Gen V addition that does nothing other than cutting pointless backtracking, thus it's a Good Feature. I'm surprised this game, with all the QoL improvements it has, didn't add that here, but I guess it's "difficult" (see: tedious) this way. Nonetheless, the area itself looks neat, Custom Move is a pretty nice addition (Hidden Power should be controllable by the player in the first place, so Custom Move is already a better implementation of the idea than Game Freak's own), and while the edge is showing again, it's nowhere near as terrible as it could be and honestly? I kind of liked the Cult Leader outright pointing out he has no real reason to help while being completely polite and never really threatening beyond one line. Hell, he even gave you a Mega Ring, what a nice guy.

I'm not sure why Delta Blastoise becomes Bowser in Shiny but it makes it my favourite design of the three. Delta Bulbasaur starts fine but Venusaur looks terrible (male looks drugged, female is pure nightmare fuel), while Charmander is mostly fine but kind of bland and then Mega Charizard is a mess of a design which probably would look better with another colour added in but as it is I can't even tell what it is meant to be.

All of that said if the Cultists wanted to get a quick battle to test Mega Stunfisk (I love its smug as poo poo grin), why not...just do that? What was the point of sending three more Pokemon, wasting their own and the player's time?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

This sounds absolutely terrible and completely devoid of any actual creativity, so I'll pass. If I wanted to dunk myself in nostalgia without any semblance of improvement or acknowledgement of the franchise's growth, I'd buy Let's Go.

Also Fire Red was pretty drat bland and far less than it should've been even back then, so putting it, and Kanto nostalgia in general, as the height of the franchise is laughable (but then again, it's also what Game Freak does, so I guess it is as true to the franchise as it can be)

say it, don't spray it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

This sounds absolutely terrible and completely devoid of any actual creativity
I think you're looking for the Pokemon Reborn thread. They've got all the creativity there that you can handle.

But yeah, it's exactly what it says on the tin: FireRed remade in the RPGmaker engine and updated to gen7. It's exactly as good or bad as the original game was, which is a lot more than basically any fangame ever can say of itself.

It's not imaginative, but it's competent and doesn't physically hurt to play. But hey, if you prefer Pokemon as reimagined by 15 year old edgelords, be my guest.

quote:

acknowledgement of the franchise's growth
lol

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 15, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I played a lot of Fire Red and Sapphire in high school so a game that's just Fire Red But More Everything seems neat. Sometimes you just wanna go on an adventure and beat up some mafioso punks with your magic pets and not face world-shattering legendaries and plots to destroy all creation. :shrug:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hey you should drink this. If I remember correctly, it should purge Alessa's influence from you and save your immortal soul. Might leave you feel uncomfortable and tingly, but that's normal.

I fucjing love that sparkly crystal bulbasaur and how hosed up she gets. I wish you got the gold crown so we can be a pretty amnesiac cult kidnapping victim princess!!!

It's weird the villains are so nice and giving us goodies. Surely this will not go poorly for us?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

It's weird the villains are so nice and giving us goodies. Surely this will not go poorly for us?

Wasn't Colress also a "nice" villain?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kikas posted:

Calling him a villain feels a bit extreme when in the end he was just kind of doing his own thing and never really cared about one side or the other. Even being part of Team Plasma was just because it was useful to him and he happily went against them whenever it was more convenient for him.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kikas posted:

I wouldn't really count Colress as a villain at all. He was in theory working for Ghetsis but every time you meet him he helps you out in some small way (removing Crustle for instance) or tells you that you seem interesting and then wanders off. He doesn't actually do anything villainous at all and even when you fight him it feels more like a random trainer battle than someone genuinely trying to oppose you. He just wants to see how you fight, he has no interest in trying to stop you.

e: f, b

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, he also willingly threw in his chips with the people running around trying to conquer the world when it suited his personal interests.
That's pretty freakin' villainous.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Seems like flip-flopping is the Perfection cult's thing. Maybe the reason they seek perfection is because they don't have any.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Colress is a scientist with no morals who's willing to do whatever as long as it helps accomplish his goals. So, pretty villainous from a moral perspective, but still helps the protag because he feels like it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Like the gym leaders, Taen has his own theme. I remember having a lot of trouble with him - Mega Stunfisk is really tough to handle when you aren't overlevelled.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oh good, I was in the mood for some new nightmares.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That is obviously a Haunter pretending to be a Stunfisk.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I played a lot of Fire Red and Sapphire in high school so a game that's just Fire Red But More Everything seems neat. Sometimes you just wanna go on an adventure and beat up some mafioso punks with your magic pets and not face world-shattering legendaries and plots to destroy all creation. :shrug:
I've always kinda thought that the main reason that Gamefreak has never put out a game where you can actually get every pokemon (not have, get) is that if they ever did, no one would have a reason to ever buy another game again. No one plays pokemon games for the plot and hardly anyone plays them for the gameplay gimmicks they put in every game and then abandon by the next. They've been remaking the same game over and over for 25 years and they know it.

In that sense, "all of the everything and none of the bullshit" is really as good as any pokemon game can realistically get.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The games where you can capture lots and lots of things tend to have stupid tiny encounter rates to make them all fit though. And the increasing number of new monsters doesn't exactly help that colossal problem. I don't think the reason they don't let you catch em all on one cartridge is that simple

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

After trying out one or two other RPGmaker games of this type, I can confidently say that no, it really isn't par - it's way, way worse. Like, you wouldn't believe how much worse. I don't know what the guy did to make the game chug that much, but holy crap is it bad. If the whole fusion mechanic wasn't literally the most original and interesting thing any pokemon hack or fangame has ever done, I wouldn't recommend even bothering.

Ah, well, given I hadn't played it I was just assuming it was the usual "Essentials doesn't run well" type slow. Sounds like whatever scripts he added to allow the fusion to work just exacerbated the standard issues.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

It's that, there's a clock that tracks by the minute and affects lighting in real time, there are 75000 pokemon in it and your pokedex records all of them, it's just a huge mess of databases and extra scripts that are constantly running. It's very entertaining though.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

DoubleNegative posted:

TLDR: Dracolich was part of a failed experiment to create the perfect pokemon. After Deltas weren't perfect, Reukra moved on to Mega Evolution. Now I've saved you a good 20 text boxes of him monologuing.
Someone should tell Rekura that a group of people already tried what he wants, and that we know how the story ends:

"We wanted to create the most powerful Pokemon in the world, and we succeeded."

Actually you know what, I can totally picture his justification being
"Yes, but this time it'll be different".

Huh, so is Mewtwo one of the few Pokemon to canonically have a body count? An off-screen body count (plus Ash turning to stone), but still.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 16, 2018

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Saladin Rising posted:

Huh, so is Mewtwo one of the few Pokemon to canonically have a body count? An off-screen body count (plus Ash turning to stone), but still.

I think there's quite a few actually. I know Uxie and Mesprit technically score a bunch when they future sight Pokemon Hunter J's ship and send her + her crew to the bottom of a loving lake, for instance. I don't care what the anime ever tries to pull:

They are dead. I think there's even a shot of the bridge window breaking in and water surging through. Plus they are never seen or mentioned again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I know Uxie and Mesprit technically score a bunch
There's nothing technical about that, that's straight murder.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Something about Reukra's portrait makes me think...I guess they were going for a sort of depressed/sleepy vibe, like he was supposed to remind you of a world-weary private detective who has just seen Too Much?

But I look at him and something in my brain just goes 'oh hey, that's the Innsmouth Look. He'll be swimming off to join the Deep Ones any day now.'

It's also possible that's what they were actually going for, in which case...mission accomplished, I guess?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Something about Reukra's portrait makes me think...I guess they were going for a sort of depressed/sleepy vibe, like he was supposed to remind you of a world-weary private detective who has just seen Too Much?

But I look at him and something in my brain just goes 'oh hey, that's the Innsmouth Look. He'll be swimming off to join the Deep Ones any day now.'

It's also possible that's what they were actually going for, in which case...mission accomplished, I guess?

He's stolen Bill's research and is part pokemon under his jacket, kinda like Gary Oldman in that Lost in Space movie from the late 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Shiny Delta Blastoise being Bowser is dumb in the most perfect way.

Also. Kyurem huh. I think I see where that's going.