Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

What's the Pickup item table look like in this game? Might be worth it to have a Meowth or a Phanpy or a Bunnelby in your party giving you a constant supply of neat stuff that is totally just found stuff and not in any way stolen.

I've always liked the Pickup ability; nothing will ever top running around in Ruby and Sapphire with a team of Zigzagoons and having a backpack full of Full Restores, Ultra Balls, Nuggets, PP Ups, Proteins, Revives, and Rare Candies before the second gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Drilbur is cute and evolves into an incredibly useful mon. Best of both worlds!

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Ah, good ol' getting stuck into dumb fights with random Pokemon. I led with my Pikachu a few too many times in the first cave and got stuck against a Diglett with Arena Trap before I had a non-electric attack.

Anyway, get a Phanpy because it's cute.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

FoolyCharged posted:

Let's use a durant named duranduran while crying that the naming cap is two letters too short for the best pun.

This.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I take back what I said about the diglett earlier. I want to change my request. Please capture and raise an Abra named Zucchini (because it rhymes with Houdini). Abras are adorable, and their final forms are extremely powerful. My Alakazam in Silver basically carried me through 80% of the game, and I ended up using him more often than my starter.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Actually, how does this handle trade evolutions? The terrible online servers, or does it have an in-game way to bypass them?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh wow, a Meowth on route 1. I'm a sucker for cat 'mons. If I was playing this and the game wasn't apparently ball-crushingly hard, that would never leave my party. I know from dabbling in Showdown that the competitive scene has no mercy for a team of Luxray/Litleo/Meowstic/Liepard/Persian/Glameow.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Random Latin spell took me hard out of the scene but beyond that, if you lowered the death a bit, this wouldn't be too out of place in a normal Pokemon game - bad guys go attack the Champion, but it's up to the protagonist to defend them because protagonist. You know, the anti-Reborn, where you're expected to do far more than you should logically need to instead of doing absolutely nothing in situations where you absolutely should do something.

That Kyogre transition looks terrible though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ace of Aces posted:

Actually, how does this handle trade evolutions? The terrible online servers, or does it have an in-game way to bypass them?

Helios City has a method to facilitate trade evolutions. Its department store even sells all the trade evo items!

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Honestly, so far, I'd probably play the hell out of this? It looks doofy and overly edgy, but it'd be a change of pace and those Delta forms are...unique, if nothing else. And that Pokemon variety is genuinely fantastic.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Can you snag a Drilbur? If you evolve it at some point later, Excadrill can be pretty good.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:3: can we pretty please get a Ghastly and or Meowth? We need the spookiest spookadoodle pokemon for this month.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Galick posted:

Honestly, so far, I'd probably play the hell out of this? It looks doofy and overly edgy, but it'd be a change of pace and those Delta forms are...unique, if nothing else. And that Pokemon variety is genuinely fantastic.
This is basically what I said in the Reborn thread. A fangame's writing doesn't need to be the best if the game can make up for it in other ways, and being fun to play and having a massive variety of Pokemon goes a long way to making mediocre or silly writing a lot more tolerable.

There's also a big difference between mediocre writing that comes from an author who likes the Pokemon games vs obnoxiously bad and drama-ridden crap like Reborn that comes from someone who hates just about every part of the game they're making.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

value-brand cereal posted:

:3: can we pretty please get a Ghastly and or Meowth? We need the spookiest spookadoodle pokemon for this month.
Our starter is a literal dracolich. How much spookier can you get?

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

DoubleNegative posted:

Helios City has a method to facilitate trade evolutions. Its department store even sells all the trade evo items!

That's cool.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Random Latin spell took me hard out of the scene but beyond that, if you lowered the death a bit, this wouldn't be too out of place in a normal Pokemon game - bad guys go attack the Champion, but it's up to the protagonist to defend them because protagonist.

Death? He teleported them out, apparently (somehow).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ace of Aces posted:

Death? He teleported them out, apparently (somehow).

I meant the constant death threats, not the teleportation. That's clearly just teleportation, which is perfectly fine and logical in the world of Pokemon (though normally with less Latin and more "oh yeah, this guy's got Psychic powers" like Sabrina).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's kind of funny that they use magic to teleport the cultists, when there are Pokemon who could be used to do the same thing. Just have him pull out an Alakazam or something.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Are you able to change Rotom's forms this early as well, cause that's a pretty strong Pokemon with fantastic coverage if so.

Can't wait for you to start obtaining late game Gen 5 and 6 Pokemon that need 50 levels to evolve. Which sounds like the midgame for this hack.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm glad this LP is running concurrent with the reborn LP.
It's making us so much more receptive to this game.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Our starter is a literal dracolich. How much spookier can you get?

*beating fists on table* I want more spooky! I want more scares! I want the most halloween team there can be! I want to smooch Meowth! ...wait disregard that last one!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This whole thing is beautiful.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm glad this LP is running concurrent with the reborn LP.
It's making us so much more receptive to this game.

This game is stupid and edgy but it's endearing in it.

I could play this and actually have fun with it, even if I'd eyeroll at the writing. I'd still get a laugh here and there at how over the top it is, like Darkrai being like "nope gently caress this poo poo" almost immediately.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's somewhat endearing, yes, but I think more people would be giving it poo poo if there wasn't Reborn to compare it to.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

senrath posted:

It's somewhat endearing, yes, but I think more people would be giving it poo poo if there wasn't Reborn to compare it to.
Yeah, like, it has a decent selection of pokemon to catch in the grass in the first route, which puts it way above Reborn, where there loving aren't any random encounters for some time iirc.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:staredog:

I don't think I'm going to use a Meowth now...

Crosspeice posted:

Are you able to change Rotom's forms this early as well, cause that's a pretty strong Pokemon with fantastic coverage if so.

Can't wait for you to start obtaining late game Gen 5 and 6 Pokemon that need 50 levels to evolve. Which sounds like the midgame for this hack.

Can't change Rotom forms until the mid-late game, sadly.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
who cares about forms, ghost motor buddy owns

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I think this game owns hard and nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise. I'm glad to see it's getting an lp!

Also I'm not going to say the plot's good but I like it and there are some pretty cool lines dropped. It's fun and dumb and endearing and I think I'd like it even if reborn didn't exist.

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 4, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GeneX posted:

:emptyquote:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
If you do get a Rotom, name him Moe.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

:staredog:

I don't think I'm going to use a Meowth now...

Can't change Rotom forms until the mid-late game, sadly.

:confused: you never wanted to smooch a cat pokemon? The alolan persian has a forehead made for pecks :3:

GeneX posted:

:yeah:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Artix posted:

Get a Shuckle. Accept no substitutes. :colbert:

This

Also a Rotom

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
As much as shuckle is a good boy who deserves all the love, he's also not very fun to use for a normal game playthrough.

Go for Drilbur and I've always wanted to see someone use Purrloin for more than, like, the first gym.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In all of my experience, Purrloin has the defenses of wet paper mache. So I'd be down for seeing someone try to make it usable!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My gosh this is exactly the sort of COOL AND DARK Pokemon fanfic I found soo cool when I was 12. :allears:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

value-brand cereal posted:

*beating fists on table* I want more spooky! I want more scares! I want the most halloween team there can be! I want to smooch Meowth! ...wait disregard that last one!

https://twitter.com/MowtenDoo/status/1047624210527543297/video/1

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr Pepper posted:

My gosh this is exactly the sort of COOL AND DARK Pokemon fanfic I found soo cool when I was 12. :allears:

I think what's helping Insurgence over Reborn. Is Reborn is miserable. And this is just dumb. It's not that this ISN'T try hard and edgy, but we've been given access to so many Pokemon, and the palette is bright, and no one's committed suicide being based upon real-life suicides.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus Insurgence’s grimdark stuff so far has been unintentionally hilarious (again, Darkrai taking one look at the ritual sacrifice made in it’s name and going “fuuuuck this”), while Reborn’s never really risen to that level. At best it’s just dull with how overbearing it gets, at worst, it makes me sincerely wonder what the hell is wrong with the creator.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Regalingualius posted:

Plus Insurgence’s grimdark stuff so far has been unintentionally hilarious (again, Darkrai taking one look at the ritual sacrifice made in it’s name and going “fuuuuck this”), while Reborn’s never really risen to that level. At best it’s just dull with how overbearing it gets, at worst, it makes me sincerely wonder what the hell is wrong with the creator.

Especially since the Darkrai cult leader pitches a fit over how the Darkrai prefers her sister, sounding really petty and like a jilted... not even ex. Just someone denied. And it's hilarious like... "I killed people for you! Why won't you love me?" And Darkrai is just "Crazy rear end bitch..."

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I'm not sure it's even unintentional, to be honest. Considering how all the cult goons stand complaining about dumb poo poo, I think the comedy elements in this story are intended. Not always good, probably, but I think this is less grimdark and more snarky edge, which I personally find a lot easier to enjoy because at least the game seems to be having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They said the gyms here have themes instead of monotypes? I'd say that's a decent change. Probably the only thing it does right though from what I've seen so far.

Ok, second thing, after the doofy looking Delta!Diglet