Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think Gen 7 hit EXP scaling the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Ugh I want to play this game, but I have 0 interest in hours of grinding. Many of the changes that the developers made are significant improvements over the actual series though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It should be noted that from what I've played of the "Regular" storyline, it is pretty much just a pokemon plot but the bad guys are still called cults. However, no one's died or disappeared or anything so far. But yeah the grind is definitely real and I have about 2 hours on file and haven't even got through the cave on Route 1 because I'm trying to raise up some pokemon to be leveled well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DoubleNegative posted:

This Hiker's rarest pokemon is a Delta Dwebble (Cake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyesmd3fU_U&t=12s

How is it that a fan-game has better Alolan Pokemon than the main series without even trying to make Alolan Pokemon? :psyduck:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

im in love...

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Miss posted:

im in love...

:five:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Miss posted:

im in love...

:swoon:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Miss posted:

im in love...

Oh my god. :allears:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Uuuuuuugh I loving hate hate hate it when fangames use fan jargon in-universe as if it's an actual thing, directly reference stats, "hurr the pokedex entries are dum", gently caress's sakes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Miss posted:

im in love...

Should we really be encouraging autocannibalism, though?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Miss posted:

im in love...

:aaaaa: This is so adorable! I've added both this and your Charmander to the OP.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ace of Aces posted:

Uuuuuuugh I loving hate hate hate it when fangames use fan jargon in-universe as if it's an actual thing, directly reference stats, "hurr the pokedex entries are dum", gently caress's sakes.

Especially when you remember that the Pokedex is not a common tool, it's what sets the protagonist apart from the NPCs. I realize the Anime has conditioned everyone with "Every starting trainer gets a Pokedex and a Starting pokemon." but the games are pointedly not like that.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nominating Miss for official LP artist :3:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Ace of Aces posted:

It really keeps pulling me out of the world.

Luckily, Delta Dwebble and Crustle help me ignore that problem. At least for a little while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

If he didn't want to eat himself, maybe he wouldn't be so delicious. :colbert:

Ace of Aces posted:

:yeah:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Regalingualius posted:

yes, and also regular cannibalism, in case he got that from winning a fight with another lovely cakemonster

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Does Delta Dwebble still get Shell Smash? Because if so with Simple it can Triple it's attack, special attack and speed all in one turn.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It does learn shell smash.
However, I'm not sure if there's any way to actually get one with simple because it's Delta Dwebble's hidden ability.

Also: For posterity. The Pokedex entries.

quote:

A Delta Species discovered by DankRabbit. It entices strangers with its sweet scent, taking offense if they do not immediately attempt to taste its frosting.

and Crustle

quote:

While it does not mind sharing its pastry with others, it will stab thieves with its fork. Its body is quite cold in order to preserve the freshness of its cake.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 6, 2018

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

ChrisBTY posted:

How can you smash such a delicious looking cake?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Regalingualius posted:

If real-rear end spiders can eat their moults to regain all that energy that went into making them, a pokemon made of cake can eat its own cake. :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ChrisBTY posted:

However, I'm not sure if there's any way to actually get one with simple because it's Delta Dwebble's hidden ability.

Also: For posterity. The Pokedex entries.

and Crustle

There is a way to change a Pokemon's ability to it's HA late game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

How can you smash such a delicious looking cake?

It's only functionally Shell Smash, the move is renamed Cake Fart. E: If you don't know what that is, don't google it. Or do, but remember I warned you.

As for the grinding problem, I'm assuming this is a Pokemon Essentials game, so you can just edit the first shop to sell cheap Rare Candy.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Man it sounds like outside of the messed up level curve/tons of grinding this seems like a pretty decent game? I’m not convinced the story isn’t intentionally doofy, it reaches weirdly endearing at points. And who couldn’t forgive some dumb UI decisions for the good QoL ones they made and that super legit cake hermit crab?

If I wasn’t up to my neck in things I want to play already I’d be seriously considering giving this a try.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Miss posted:

yes, and also regular cannibalism, in case he got that from winning a fight with another lovely cakemonster

quote:

It entices strangers with its sweet scent, taking offense if they do not immediately attempt to taste its frosting.

quote:

While it does not mind sharing its pastry with others

Looks like that checks out.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Dareon posted:

It's only functionally Shell Smash, the move is renamed Cake Fart. E: If you don't know what that is, don't google it. Or do, but remember I warned you.

As for the grinding problem, I'm assuming this is a Pokemon Essentials game, so you can just edit the first shop to sell cheap Rare Candy.

I think I'll take your advice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

A Delta Species discovered by DankRabbit
Speaking of immersion-breaking stuff.

I know they're crediting whoever came up with these Delta Species, but it looks incredibly dumb to have someone's username in a Pokedex entry.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Haifisch posted:

Speaking of immersion-breaking stuff.

I know they're crediting whoever came up with these Delta Species, but it looks incredibly dumb to have someone's username in a Pokedex entry.

yeah, like it's great they're actually giving people credit, but there has to be a less immersion breaking way of doing it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The thing of putting Kickstarter backers etc. in your game is understandable but man, I can't name a single game where it hasn't been painfully obvious and immersion-breaking. Oh look, this medieval small-town baker is named James "SephirothSushi" Nguyen and has a neckbearded portrait obviously based off a photo, what a deep and consistent world we've got here

megane fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 6, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The answer is a side area with a few small rewards to entice people in, filled with credits for ideas and funding (if crowdfunded)

hollow knight did it really well, for instance

positing the idea of someone official enough to make it into the pokedex (yes, yes, 11 year olds, whatever, I assume someone has to edit for grammar,) going by "dankrabbit" is doing it very much not well

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just got the pun that it's a crab cake. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:vince:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:downsrim:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dareon posted:

Grinding will only be a problem for a handful of more updates. Within a few weeks we'll be past the worst of it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

gently caress.

That's incredible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:pusheen:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

:perfect:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But the question is: Does the Delta Dwebble TASTE good? And is it worth using? being the second.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Raitzeno posted:

Poorly articulated ribcage.

Spoilers for Delta Charizard:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Kemix posted:

But the question is: Does the Delta Dwebble TASTE good? And is it worth using? being the second.

It's a cassata cake, kinda, so probably? And yeah it's not bad. It's not a better fairy type than Gardevoir or something since it's still really slow but it's pretty serviceable for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Draxion posted:

It's a cassata cake, kinda, so probably? And yeah it's not bad. It's not a better fairy type than Gardevoir or something since it's still really slow but it's pretty serviceable for most of the game.

It can have Simple and Shell Smash so it's an absolutely monstrous set up sweeper if it can grab a turn. Even with 45 base speed it can outspeed literally anything (even scarfed) after a single Shell Smash. And it's got like 1200+ attack on top of that.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 7, 2018