Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

To me, it's all about finding a little fluffy cotton bird and raising it to be the biggest, fluffiest cotton dragon of destruction through the power of cock fighting and ample pets and treats, and getting snuggly with the literal embodiments of time or death or whatever is kind of off-putting.

On the other hand, being able to to pamper, groom and feed treats to the literal embodiment of whatever is very Pokemon as well, though mechanically your mons being bonded to you by the powers of balls rather than friendship does spoil what the games are going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I feel kinda bad for Absols. They're an entire species of Lassies that get blamed for trying to warn people that Timmy's about to fall down the well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kitfox88 posted:

I actually really like absol and always made sure to catch one on route 120 :smith:
That's because the official games use them well, and not hamfistedly. I remember someone posting in the Reborn thread that in the games where Absol is found in the wild, they're near where poo poo's gonna go down, like near Mt. Pyre in Gen 3 and on Mt. Coronet in Gen 4. This is not only far more subtlety than most fangame creators possess, it also allows you to catch a pretty good Pokemon as part of the bargain.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Miss posted:

Delta Absol is a fairy-type and portends the opposite of doom (good parties)

I WANT ONE.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

That's because the official games use them well, and not hamfistedly. I remember someone posting in the Reborn thread that in the games where Absol is found in the wild, they're near where poo poo's gonna go down, like near Mt. Pyre in Gen 3 and on Mt. Coronet in Gen 4. This is not only far more subtlety than most fangame creators possess, it also allows you to catch a pretty good Pokemon as part of the bargain.

That was me. I feel like The Absol Problem kinda sums up a lot of bad hacks and fan projects as a whole. Let's take this subtle thing the original does, and shove it in your face as hard as we can. It's a shame too, because I genuinely really like Absol and the way fans treat it make me kinda not.

Miss posted:

I love this and I want one.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

That was me. I feel like The Absol Problem kinda sums up a lot of bad hacks and fan projects as a whole. Let's take this subtle thing the original does, and shove it in your face as hard as we can. It's a shame too, because I genuinely really like Absol and the way fans treat it make me kinda not.

Also sometimes they just put Absol in places without anything bad going down. like Absol is like 3 routes away from the nearest bad poo poo going down in XY and that's only in the sense of a route that only has bad things happen at like gym 7.
Absol is put in Tapu Village, next to the destroyed mart and such, but also they just chill in Mount Lanakila where nothing bad happens & that you only have proper access to after everything bad happens. Because it's a big furry mammal that would presumably live in the area regardless.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

rannum posted:

Also sometimes they just put Absol in places without anything bad going down. like Absol is like 3 routes away from the nearest bad poo poo going down in XY and that's only in the sense of a route that only has bad things happen at like gym 7.
Absol is put in Tapu Village, next to the destroyed mart and such, but also they just chill in Mount Lanakila where nothing bad happens & that you only have proper access to after everything bad happens. Because it's a big furry mammal that would presumably live in the area regardless.

On the other hand, Absol showing up so early in Gen 6 means it's always available to deal with Team Flare. When I played X, I made sure to always include it in every Flare-related battle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A fairy/dark, it's presence is a portent of hilarious slapstick producing minor injuries.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Miss posted:

Yesssssssss. This makes me wish there was actually a Delta Absol just so it can be this.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I picked this up and I just beat the Suntouched Gym. Made me appreciate Corsola like I've never before! Little rock buddy just swept straight through the sunny day team. Good job, Misty!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DoubleNegative posted:

Yesssssssss. This makes me wish there was actually a Delta Absol just so it can be this.

Well now I'm super disappointed.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm also sorta bugged by the Perfection Cult being so aggressively violent or hostile. Reukra especially could have just been an edgier Colress if he didn't spend every other appearance ranting about how he'd happily euthanize your starter or murder you if you weren't slightly more useful to his plans alive. It'd be a nice break from all the other Cults being wholly dedicated to destruction and domination. Hell, if he's going to do something unforgivably evil in the future, it'd be a lot more impactful if he'd been an unlikely ally for the rest of the game.
Reukra takes a more Chaotic Neutral approach in the mild scripting. Taking the power cord hostage doesn't need to be explicit just to posture as a sociopath when his next actions do a better job of it anyway. He only has credibility saying "we're not really like the other cults" when he's not muttering about killing you afterwards, and freely admitting to loving with things For Science! is chilling enough without saying the quiet part aloud.

I wonder what these two actually do in the world when they're not doing :science:. At least one of them has to be a bigwig somewhere to have this equipment and funding. Who the hell actually has a secret underground science base?

Malah fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 8, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like how Goofy even normal Absols are, I've been playing Colosseum, currently in the postgame prepping for the final Colosseum, and the Absols have wonderfully silly animations, like they get heavily staggered by every attack and need to find their footing every time. It's like they are perpetually dizzy.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Malah posted:

I wonder what these two actually do in the world when they're not doing :science:. At least one of them has to be a bigwig somewhere to have this equipment and funding. Who the hell actually has a secret underground science base?

You could ask that about all the Cults (and most of the evil Teams in the main games, really). They probably confiscate their members' funds, but it seems unlikely that those would be enough to pay for huge underground bases and occasionally a whole science division.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's kind of odd how they all refer to themselves as "cults" in the first place as actual cults don't refer to themselves as such in real life.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Carpator Diei posted:

You could ask that about all the Cults (and most of the evil Teams in the main games, really). They probably confiscate their members' funds, but it seems unlikely that those would be enough to pay for huge underground bases and occasionally a whole science division.

Everyone except for Team Flare just fights people in Pokemon Battles and takes half their money on defeat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Carpator Diei posted:

Team Rocket has several profitable endeavours (such as the Game Corner and Pokemon selling), Team Flare is made entirely out of rich people and idiots willing to give money to said rich people, the Aether Foundation likely has government grants considering their job, and Team Skull needs no excuse because they're horribly impoverished and the infrastructure they do have, they took over. Poorly, at that.

Can't say what's up with the others though. I'm guessing they have their own ways of getting money.

Zuzie posted:

It's kind of odd how they all refer to themselves as "cults" in the first place as actual cults don't refer to themselves as such in real life.

A sad reminder that, even when this game can have genuine comedy and Pokemon-fitting writing, it still wants to be edgy and a cult literally calling itself one is indeed edgy.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

A sad reminder that, even when this game can have genuine comedy and Pokemon-fitting writing, it still wants to be edgy and a cult literally calling itself one is indeed edgy.

I'd say its more a symptom of bad writing as opposed to actual "edginess".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blaze Dragon posted:

a cult literally calling itself one is indeed edgy.

It's a Saturday Morning Cartoon move.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

Team Rocket has several profitable endeavours (such as the Game Corner and Pokemon selling), Team Flare is made entirely out of rich people and idiots willing to give money to said rich people, the Aether Foundation likely has government grants considering their job, and Team Skull needs no excuse because they're horribly impoverished and the infrastructure they do have, they took over. Poorly, at that.

Can't say what's up with the others though. I'm guessing they have their own ways of getting money.

Aqua and Magma probably collected charitable donations as environmental groups, and Plasma is, at the ground level, almost a legit animal rights group.

...I assume Cyrus and Charon funded Galactic out of their own pockets and/or stuff they stole, though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Please forgive Taen. He is an idiot. We trained his Pokemon wrong as a joke."

I'm having flashbacks to Supergreatfriend's 'The Quiet Man' stream oh my god.

'Now Taen, it's completely your fault that Mewtwo is dead. Like absolutely your fault. You need to train up just like Daredevil to beat up shoe-loving minorities, or in this case, a 12 year old kid with a Mew named 'RHYDON'.'

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Golux posted:

...I assume Cyrus and Charon funded Galactic out of their own pockets and/or stuff they stole, though.

If I recall, Cyrus in the anime continuity was publicly known in-universe as a business mogul who built most of the buildings and libraries in Sinnoh.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

If I recall, Cyrus in the anime continuity was publicly known in-universe as a business mogul who built most of the buildings and libraries in Sinnoh.

I'm pretty sure that Cyrus was born into money and built up even more as he expanded his Team Galactic cult to fuel his nihilistic goal.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Speaking of Team Galacitc, they're the closest the games have to an actual cult. I always imagined the members were sweet talked into joining, with a steep but technically achievable sticker price on stuff like uniforms and Glameows.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

See, that could actually make for a decent character hook: what do you do when you’re basically set for life, have all the money, power, and influence you could ever want... And you still can’t find any satisfaction?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

son of a bitch

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Speaking of Team Galacitc, they're the closest the games have to an actual cult. I always imagined the members were sweet talked into joining, with a steep but technically achievable sticker price on stuff like uniforms and Glameows.

iirc it's straight up that if you talk with some of the grunts in Platinum & the post game.

That said the real cult is Team Plasma in BW1. You have the crazy aesthetics and Ghetsis having speeches in the street about freeing all the pokemon and the entire N long con.
The game's opening is a lavish crowning ceremony in a castle lead by seven appoitned sages and 2 goddesses for the king who will rule unova and usher in an age of freedom for pokemon and so on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Galick posted:

son of a bitch

Catch it and name it Raspberry Pi.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

See, that could actually make for a decent character hook: what do you do when you’re basically set for life, have all the money, power, and influence you could ever want... And you still can’t find any satisfaction?

I think the answer to that question is currently sitting in the White House, while his loyal grunts of Team Pepe wreak havoc at varying degrees of severity.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

rannum posted:

That said the real cult is Team Plasma in BW1. You have the crazy aesthetics and Ghetsis having speeches in the street about freeing all the pokemon and the entire N long con.
The game's opening is a lavish crowning ceremony in a castle lead by seven appoitned sages and 2 goddesses for the king who will rule unova and usher in an age of freedom for pokemon and so on.

I mean, if we're talking similarity to real-world cults, Team Flare is in many ways just Poke-Scientology with the way it attracts celebrities and wealthy people, passes itself off as legitimate, and goes basically unopposed until they completely cross the line.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Catch it and name it Raspberry Pi.

That was the Audino trainer's :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Galick posted:

That was the Audino trainer's :v:

Curse the Audino trainer, ruining my perfect serviceable joke.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kurieg posted:

Curse the Audino trainer, ruining my perfect serviceable joke.

Here it'd be Razz Berry anyway.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. We've got a lot of ground to cover today so let's not dawdle!

We could go back in the checkpoint but there's no need. Nora is waiting for us back at the Relic Song wall.

: ...they're not here yet. I've been waiting for ages. What if... what if they don't show? What is Reukra l-

: Let's get down to business. You need us to get up the mountain. And we need the shards of the Augur's Crystal. So if we-
: What, no! Absolutely no! We can't do that.
: ...what do you know about the crystal?
: Um... I mean...

Good job Nora. You actually held your tongue for once!

: We just don't want it in Zenith or Persephone's hands. Once it's in your hands- or anyone else's- we can acquire it easily.
: I... okay. We're not pushovers, you know.
: Mhmm. Go, Damian. Disguise yourself. Go through the checkpoint and get this over with.

Time passes.

Looks like Damian came through for us!

: Perfect. That ladder should get you up and down the mountain without having to go through the checkpoint.

Malde starts to walk off, but pauses.

: He was your friend, right? He doesn't talk much anymore. I'm sorry if we've caused you pain. But he's happier now.
: Are... you controlling him? Did he... choose to leave us?

:smith:

: It... it hurts, but it would be the right thing to do. But it has to be his choice. I need to know if this is what he wants. I can't just abandon him. I swear I'm going to find him and I will get him to talk. But for now...

: ...on another note, I desperately need a better closing one-liner.

Poor Nora, she's taking the Damian stuff awful hard. And Malde's closing words are interesting. He's a villain, sure, but unlike most of the rest of the villains in this game, he doesn't appear to be evil.

The ladder actually takes us to Mount Rose proper. It takes me a few minutes to realize this.

We can take the path back down the mountain and get on the other side of the checkpoint but there's no reason to.

Yeah, best if we don't clue Zenith in to the fact that we're coming for him.

Back on the other side of the checkpoint, there's some items to find at Mt. Rose's base.

95 power, 100 accuracy, 10% poison chance? Mmmm...

Told you there wasn't much down here. Though I actually use this one in the next update to bridge a gap. If you need just a single level on a pokemon to, say, evolve then the level trainer is kinda imprecise.

The wiki's description of where this item is, is worthless. I actually had to open up RPG Maker's map to find this one.

Anyway, that's all that's worth finding down there.

This is a surprisingly large route.

This guy is as good a starting point as any other.

Plusle, Minun, and Pachirisu isn't a very well constructed team.

Soon... soon.

Despite the route being somewhat large, we're already at the end of it.

So before we leave, let's drop by the hidden grotto.

Delta Phantump is pure Fairy-type, while Trevenant is Fairy/Fighting. Both have Snow Warning (The Pokemon summons a hailstorm when it enters a battle), Overcoat (Protects the Pokemon from things like sand, hail and powder), and Snow Cloak (Hidden; Boosts evasion in a hailstorm) abilities. I don't get why it's ice-themed, but okay. Whatever!

It's an alright pokemon, at least. It actually learns Sacred Sword by level up! So if you somehow don't have a good fighting type by this point, D. Trevenant could fit the bill nicely. Like I said in the thread, I won't be using her because Gateau and Centaurion both fill those roles in the team already.

A fitting name for a guardian forest spirit.

Anyway, back to this fellow.

Well the good news is, we're a quarter of the way done with Mt. Rose. The bad news is we still gotta actually climb the mountain.

I'm sure there's stuff hidden in here, but I don't particularly care. According to the wiki, somewhere in here is a Shiny Ball, which is a Master Ball but for shinies.

an art piece!

Will-o-Wisp should be 100% accuracy with fire types. It's a shame it isn't.

opponent.

I don't wanna be in tune with a man who stands around in a cave in his socks.

That rock climb wall probably has the Shiny Ball.

definitely the most mysterious!

Uh, thanks.

here in Torren!

poo poo, you're the Champion?

Does that mean I'm the Champion now?

Halfway up!

That's Diana, the 6th Gym Leader. You know, Persephone's sister.

: ... ... ...

: Calreath? What? Shouldn't you be at work?
: I'd like to be, but the people of Amphitrite sort of have a different plan for my life nowadays. There's no time to explain. I've already seen the people of Selene City eyeing me, too. They must have seen the broadcast Zenith put out.
: I, uh, okay. Let's get going, then.

Darkrai?

:psyduck:

Persephone really needs to get a hobby that doesn't involve the Lord of Nightmares.

: I KNEW Darkrai was following my awful sister around. I KNEW she was luring it in somehow.

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh my god. More and more the text of this game keeps supporting the theory that Persephone is completely worthless. Like, I didn't edit that text. That's the actual text in the game.

: There's got to be something else going on. What does Diana have that I don't? What does Diana have that I don't that Darkrai is after? Doesn't matter. I'm going to tail them. I'm going to bring her to justice for what she did to me.

No map for this one because it's an extremely linear path.

Spectacular, innit?

Aaaaanytime.

Poor kid.

They do a pretty good job communicating that you're really high up.

:toot:

Uh...? The specific way this is worded makes it feel like it's a reference to something.

So you're not a stockbroker?

Allow me to present to you a short essay on why I love Centaurion.

A single Bulk Up, so +1 stage to Attack and Defense.

Speed Down x2

And now we're suddenly at Stage 5 Attack.

Attack and SpAtk lowered by 1 stage each and then Pangoro switches out. Except Pangoro is his last pokemon.

First his attack went up by a stage because of the attack reduction. Then the attack was reduced because I don't think Defiant quite works right in Essentials. Then attack went up again because of the SpAtk reduction.

Then Centaurion used his 75 power Drain Punch, plus his sky high attack (212), plus the 4x attack stat increase (848 effective), plus Pangoro's 2x weakness to fighting to completely erase it from existence. According to a calculator I found, and making some assumptions about how much defense that Pangoro had...

Giving it the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming 120 defense at level 73. I don't know for sure, but it's in the middle of the expected range between 50 and 100. It may even be on the high side, I don't know.

The point is... look at those numbers. Also the calculations were made using Centaurion's stats from last update, so they're even higher now.

And in case you were curious, here's the math on Acrobatics.

Either of them is enough damage to one shot anything in the game. Centaurion is awesome, y'all.

The other side of this purple design thingy is an Abomasite.

I asked in the Insurgence discord chat while recording. That Salamence isn't hard coded to be shiny. I just had the worst possible luck.

gently caress you and your shiny Salamence. :mad:

Nearly done. One more cave! As a bonus, it's also extremely linear.

My dude we're both at the summit of a volcano. There's wild ice-type pokemon in the cave all around us. Why are you talking to me about sailing?

challenge!

And we're done!

Brick Break, an escape rope, and Jirachi are all behind that Relic Song wall. I'm not really sure why Brick Break is a postgame TM. :psyduck:

Deyraan Town is one of the last cities in the region. I think after this, there's only a handful more we haven't been to.

nobody is happy here.

I've always said there's two kinds of people in the world... those that like snow and those that have to deal with it.

We steal this poor Haunter's TM.

The people of Deyraan are firmly in the "have to deal with snow" category.

Yes?

Thanks.

crater.

crater too.

So Calreath and Diana are both here already.

past month.

never grow.

Ouch.

ruin, covered in moss.

You want it? I have a Delta Geodude in my PC.

Didn't Calreath say he grew up with Vesryn? :psyduck: This game's timeline is screwy.

Rain.

:toot: We'll be putting at least one of these to use next time.

I think this guy is talking about that jackpot of gold we found under a tree.

I like to read this as wholesome instead of creepy. He's an artist trying to boost a small girl's self confidence. :3:

Dude go talk to Xavier. Bug pokemon are awesome.

Um, okay.

Sweet.

Tempting, but no thanks.

I'm so judging you. Hanging out in a room with 7 Gible is not a normal thing to do.

kinda useless.

The next town in particular is gonna have a lot of people talking about the lack of 8th badge in the region. The next town is also the "gateway" to the pokemon league, so it's understandable.

Neat.

So let's end off here.

NEXT TIME: We put an end to the Infernal Cult. It's gonna be one hell of a showdown. Don't miss it!

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, Delta Trevenant is a Cherry Tree called Winter Sakura, which blooms during the Autumn/Winter season. I think. Listen, all I have on that is what little I know, which is mostly from Anime symbolism and what's on Insurgence's wiki.

It'd be an okay Hail Setter... if Snow Warning, you know, provided immunity to hail. Which it, uh, doesn't. Why doesn't it do that?

The other two do give it hail immunity, though. It's a good curveball for a sand team if it has Overcoat.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
What mandate is in place that they can't replace the gym leader? Do they think it would just be improper? Are there no reserves?:psyduck:

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 9, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

What mandate is in place that they can't replace the gym leader? Do they think it would just be improper? :psyduck:

According to the first update, the first Augur only disappeared one year ago. They might just be waiting until a certain amount of time passes before they can replace them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That snow town seemed really large but had nothing of note in it

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DoubleNegative posted:

I like to read this as wholesome instead of creepy. He's an artist trying to boost a small girl's self confidence. :3:

Sounds a bit Bob Ross, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

DoubleNegative posted:

Hahahahahahahaha. Oh my god. More and more the text of this game keeps supporting the theory that Persephone is completely worthless. Like, I didn't edit that text. That's the actual text in the game.

: There's got to be something else going on. What does Diana have that I don't? What does Diana have that I don't that Darkrai is after? Doesn't matter. I'm going to tail them. I'm going to bring her to justice for what she did to me.
This right here is what puts Insurgence ahead of so many other fanhacks. Self-awareness is so, so important and Insurgence is really good about being self-aware with its characters and characterization.