Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
That Yanma is a Good Friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Clearly we recovered that man's Chuck Norris Action Jeans(tm)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Elchar posted:

Tree Tentacools remind me of those treetop octopuses (octopi?) from Future is Wild. I know Tentacool is a jellyfish, not an octopus and it is not an intentional reference or anything... but I still find that neat.

Both octopuses and octopi are accepted pluralizations of octopus.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Mega Poliwrath's back tattoo says "Yakuza."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FoolyCharged posted:

Clearly we recovered that man's Chuck Norris Action Jeans(tm)

Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
omg froakie's little leaf mustache :3:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

senrath posted:

Both octopuses and octopi are accepted pluralizations of octopus.

the correct form is octodads

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
I probably could have had this done a while ago, but nevermind. Here we are with Traditional Update #4 now with less sudden explosions.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
These cults are a lot less threatening when the worst they do is threaten to leave you on an island surrounded by green Nickelodeon Gak.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Let's go into the desert.

It wouldn't be a desert in a pokemon game without the everpresent sandstorm.

Slight spoiler, I suppose, for an event that happens midway through our trip here. Anyway, this spot is nice and wide open after the cramped marsh.

make it completely worthwhile!

Griping about the sandstorm aside, I actually like this desert . There are some thematically cool Delta species found here.

Same.

You can see half of a new Delta pokemon in this screenshot.

Delta Tangela is pure ground type, while Delta Tangrowth is Ground/Fighting type. Both have Dry Skin (Reduces HP if it's hot. Water restores HP), Sand Force (Boosts certain moves' power in a sandstorm), and Rough Skin (Hidden; Inflicts damage to the attacker on contact) as abilities.

Dry Skin covers one of its many weaknesses, but that still leaves it with five instead of six. It's not a bad pokemon at all. In fact, it seems pretty nice. But like so many other postgame Deltas, I really wish it were available sooner.

For whatever it's worth, Tangela still only evolves when it learns Ancient Power... at 38. Yeeeeahhh. At 56, it's already learned every move it can, so you have to spend several heart scales, or you have to breed it with a Delta Ditto in order to make it usable.

Still, a tumbleweed Tangela is at least a cool concept.

I can't see a tumbleweed without thinking about that joke from Fievel Goes West.

The desert is actually much smaller than the marsh, which I'm extremely thankful for.

take and reuse!

You're a dumbass who's out in the desert without any shoes.

I want that TM!

:saddowns: mistakes have been made

After we finish the mini questline in this region, a Delta legendary will show up here. I think.

We'll actually need this in about 40 seconds. If you remember the map above, you might have seen an arrow pointing at a wall. We need to go to approximately where it's pointing.

There's no indication that's there. The arrow made of rocks is not pointing at where you need to use Dig. You just have to kinda blindly grope around until you find the right spot. Oh sure, the arrow is meant to point at the spot, but for whatever reason, the interact point is misaligned.

Delta Buneary and Lopunny are Fighting type, while Mega D. Lopunny is Fighting/Psychic type.

Buneary has Pickpocket (Steals an item from an attacker that made direct contact), Frisk (The Pokemon can check an opposing Pokemon's held item), and Limber (Hidden; No paralysis) for abilities. Lopunny has Unburden (Boosts the Speed stat if its held item is used or lost), Inner Focus (No flinching), and Limber (Hidden). Mega Lopunny has Hyper Cutter (Prevents other Pokemon from lowering its Attack stat).

D. Buneary also only evolves if it despises your guts. It needs the absolute lowest possible friendship to evolve. As far as usability goes, it's a neat gimmick, but it arrives too late to be very useful.

That's exactly what it is... a rotten little punk.

I...

Probably just a coincidence, I'm sure.

My dad actually believes this. :(

He legitimately believes that aliens gave predynastic egyptians something called Zero Point Energy that let them lift those multi-ton blocks into the sky as if they were nothing. He has multiple books on the subject. :cripes:

For no particular reason, I'm going to restore everyone's health to full before walking into the pyramid.

Hey Nora!

It's so good to see you again, Amy. I'm glad you're doing well. It's crazy to think you're the Augur now. I remember when we both had our first battle back in Midna Town... And now we're out here, helping out with the Holon University Research team. You know what?

when we first met! So bring it on, Amy! I can't wait to see how far you've come!

The only "wait what?" gotcha is the Delta Girafarig. Everything else is no problem.

Centaurion has been doing most of my fighting, so this is a bit one sided...

But if there's one thing you can always expect an Aegislash to do, it's use King's Shield right out the gate.

Gotta love that 50% attack damage reduction right out the gate.

Even with 16 levels, that 50% reduction hurts.

Sacred Sword... not so much.

The second Fire Punch hurts juuuust fine.

A few turns later and the Aegislash is hosed.

Centaurion one shot it through its shield forme.

Cirno eats Flygons for breakfast.

Like so.

Generator two shots her Florges.

I guess Nora did that trade back in Torren.

A 4x weakness to Ground is not a good thing to have around Aragog.

Same with Celebi and its 4x weakness to bug.

the whole Giratina thing a while back. You're amazing, Amy. I wish I were as great as you. Anyways, I should get going. I'm heading up north.

This is bringing back memories of Ragnarok Online. The item we came to the pyramid for is in the far back, in that little alcove next to the red tablets. But there's also two Delta species we can pick up in here, and there's no way I'm leaving without them.

Most of these tablets don't have anything on them.

There are several tablets in here that have purple markings. You can kinda see them in the map above. All of them together give the answer to this puzzle.

:toot::toot: This is the item we came in here for. This is actually the last HM replacement. The Magic Carpet lets us fly up waterfalls!

We can actually now return to the dream realm and do the first sidequest involving it.

Amy! Holy Pidgeot! You gotta come out here and see this. I'm just outside the pyramid- I was stopping by the desert to check on you and I saw the most incredible thing! Hurry!

We'll be out once we finish snooping around in here.

Earlier when I mentioned purple markings, this is what I was referring to.

3HM? Surf?

The pyramid is pretty easy to navigate with a map just outside of the game window. :v:

3HM

Okay...

:psyduck:

Uh... huh. We can't even GET Delta Milotic until later in the region. I'll cover it then.

Anyway, that's all the damage we can deal on the first floor.

We're in the upper left corner.

3HM
1SE

The top floor of the pyramid is so small that I'm actually using 1:2 scale in RPG Maker to show the map.

3HM
1SE
4ET

We'll think on what that means in a minute.

I don't know how you're supposed to figure this out, because no indication is given of how long this sequence is, and if you can repeat colors. The password is Yellow, Yellow, Red, Blue.

Let's grab this too. We'll need it soon.

This is a special Delta. One I've been waiting to show off since before I started this LP.

Delta Torchic and Combusken are Psychic type, while Delta Blaziken is Psychic/Flying. All three have Keen Eye (No accuracy loss) as their primary ability. Torchic and Combusken also have Rivalry (Hidden; Deals more damage to Pokemon of the same gender) as their hidden, while Blaziken has Gale Wings (Hidden; Gives priority to Flying-type moves).

If you read that closely, that's pre-nerf Gale Wings. Combine that with Blaziken's stats, and you have a certified shitwrecker of a pokemon that gets priority STAB Acrobatics. It can also learn Psychic and use it effectively because gently caress you, that's why.

Delta Blaziken is really goddamned broken. We only have one Dream Mist, and I feel extremely confident in spending it to get this guy his hidden ability.

Ramesses II is popularly believed to be the pharaoh who ruled during Exodus. His name was also translated into Greek as Ozymandias, King of Kings.

All in all, a pretty good name for the Pharaoh Pokemon.

The hole drops us back on the second floor.

Back down at the red tablet, let's see if we can make sense of our clues from the purple heiroglyphs.

3HM
1SE
4ET

Putting them in order we get...

1 SE
2 K
3 HM
4 ET

SEKHMET?

Sekhmet is commonly depicted as a lioness.

:swoon: Oh my god IT'S ADORABLE.

Delta Riolu is Dark type. Delta Lucario is Dark/Ground. Both have Justified (Boosts the Attack stat when it's hit by a Dark-type move), Pressure (The Pokemon raises opposing Pokemon's PP usage), and Mummy (Hidden; Contact with the Pokemon spreads this Ability) as abilities. Mega Lucario gets Defiant (Boosts the Pokemon's Attack stat when its stats are lowered) as its ability.

As for how good it is, it's friggin Lucario. It's good.

Anyway, that's all we can do in the pyramid.

While you were in the pyramid... something happened here. I know, right? Understatement of the century. One of our field agents here reported a battle between two powerful pokemon.

...but there aren't very many Ground or Rock-type legendaries. Regirock doesn't have any enemies as far as we know, and I feel like we'd know if Kyogre or Groudon were here. It MUST be a Delta. It MUST be. They said I was crazy. They said a Delta Species Legendary was a fantasy. An impossible dream.

Riiiight.

...anyways, please keep me updated. Let me know if you see these mysterious pokemon or find evidence of fighting. I'll call you. I'm going to head up to Settlement Juliet. You might want to head north, too, when you're done here. There's a lake, a mountain, and more that way.

Cool. Professor Maple is losing his mind. Good to know.

Anyway, that's quite enough of that for now.

NEXT TIME: Holon Lake

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The non-edge update made me laugh, it's just so silly. Not green gunk! Damian might have had to get his shoes dirty! The horror!

I don't like Pokemon deserts much, but the kind with dark spots so you can avoid random encounters are okay and it looks like that's what this is. The dig spot in the wall would be great if it lined up properly.

That buneary is... uh... it's a thing that exists, that's for sure. (I can't even tell what it's supposed to be.) The other deltas in this update are all great though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

The Magic Carpet lets us fly up waterfalls!

:thunk: that's an odd one, honestly.

Also the Delta Lopunny line looks super cool and of course the Egyptian style deltas are :kimchi: as all hell. THE MAN IN GAUZE, THE MAN IN GAUZE, KING RAMSES

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... delta tangela, you live in a desert.

How do you have Dry skin.

How are you not dead.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Of course he has dry skin, he lives in a desert

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
After this point, I basically envisioned Professor Maple as Professor Crocker and it all made way more sense.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Galick posted:

After this point, I basically envisioned Professor Maple as Professor Crocker and it all made way more sense.

So this, but "DELTA SPECIES LEGENDARY!"

I assume there's a template for this somewhere.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DoubleNegative posted:

I can't see a tumbleweed without thinking about that joke from Fievel Goes West.
Similarly, I associate them with the song "Rawhide".

DoubleNegative posted:

My dad actually believes this. :(

He legitimately believes that aliens gave predynastic egyptians something called Zero Point Energy that let them lift those multi-ton blocks into the sky as if they were nothing. He has multiple books on the subject. :cripes:
Maybe he thought Stargate was a documentary?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh man Ancient Aliens is one of the things in my wheelhouse and let me tell you, it is just as casually racist as you think it is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Oh man Ancient Aliens is one of the things in my wheelhouse and let me tell you, it is just as casually racist as you think it is.

It's always interesting to see all the non-European great structures (Stonehenge not withstanding) be credited to aliens. Very curious indeed!

Yeah it's racism.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God, Ancient Astronauts theory, aka: "Brown people are too stupid to know how to do math, so it must be aliens!"

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I still laugh that some people think that our ancestors did human sacrifices to honour ancient aliens as thanks for building the mesoamerican pyramids.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:stare: Looks like a couple of y’all got some new Delta avatars.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DoubleNegative posted:

:stare: Looks like a couple of y’all got some new Delta avatars.

Oh my god the Delta Vespiquen one. :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Someone's probably doing another round of spine donations I guess.

But they're also removing people's gang tags in the process... so...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There is actually a good deal of aliens stuff about Stonehenge. However, after seeing 4 seasons of the show, I can't remember more than two episodes that focus on something other than North Africa, the Fertile Crescent, India, Pre-columbian Native Americans, Polynesia, or East Asia
I never picked up on that undercurrent before, but it's painfully obvious once it's been pointed out

I was just going to talk about how they've done experiments on Easter Island that show how easy it was to move those massive stone statues and then move other massive stones on top and carve them into hats, or the people of Yap that transported 4 ton limestone boulders hundreds of miles on bamboo canoes, but now I'm actually kind of upset about the show that I used to laugh at

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, Stonehenge gets aliens or druidic stuff a lot but the difference there is Stonehenge generally gets it more for why, not how. "How" is never really questioned in the same way for the one that just so happens to be European.

The ones that aren't? Why isn't important. It's always how, which is another thing that subtly tells you it comes from a place of (subconscious) racism.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, Stonehenge gets aliens or druidic stuff a lot but the difference there is Stonehenge generally gets it more for why, not how. "How" is never really questioned in the same way for the one that just so happens to be European.

The ones that aren't? Why isn't important. It's always how, which is another thing that subtly tells you it comes from a place of (subconscious) racism.

...no, Stonehenge gets plenty of 'how', especially once they proved that the stone comes from hundreds of miles away. They still have no real idea how the stones were transported there or how they were stacked up the way they were. Or how anyone persuaded people to keep building it for 1500 years.

Of course, the attitude to almost everywhere else is usually undeniably racist. (Though 'why' is a lot more obvious in the case of, say, the pyramids, so doesn't need investigating so much, especially since the Egyptians wrote poo poo down.) But Stonehenge is still a pretty big mystery itself. And a neat one, though I won't nerd out any more.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I think the reason behind Stonehenge is that people just sometimes do poo poo and it doesnt have to make sense

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I think the reason behind Stonehenge is that people just sometimes do poo poo and it doesnt have to make sense

Everyone in that area had a really really long drug trip and woke up in the middle of Stonehenge, having built it while high out of their minds.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just love how shows like Ancient Aliens go on about things like "how stone blocks are cut at perfect 90 degree angles" while holding a square up to a block showing that it's far from a 90 degree angle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Like that flat earth show that accidentally proved the earth was round.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
To me, the most plausible theory is that was a symbol of British paleolithic unification and it was designed as an enormous, unmovable astronomical calendar because accurate time keeping is really loving important when you're a farmer, especially a stone age farmer with terrible crop yields. The religious functions are just similar to the bronze age command economies, where the priests "consulted the gods" about when to plant crops, what to plant, and where, when they were really just watching the stars, keeping time, and keeping records of what the country needed and what crops grew well in certain areas

All of the burials are confusing as gently caress, but we don't know a lot about how their religion worked, so it's hard to say what significance they play

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I've kinda had a love-hate relationship with the Buneary/Lopunny family, but I gotta admit I'd totally use the Delta Buneary for all it was worth. The Mega also looks pretty neat all things considered. Though I'd be using Delta Lucario/Blaziken even more because, you know, ANUBIS AND RAMSES...also this update made the Courage the Cowardly Dog episode featuring THE SLAB stuck in my head...gently caress that show was a trip.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel Horus or Amon Ra is more appropriate for Blaziken, both because of the bird heads, and because Ra was the Pharaoh of the gods, and all mortal pharaohs were said to be his descendants, as well as his mortal avatars.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I feel Horus or Amon Ra is more appropriate for Blaziken, both because of the bird heads, and because Ra was the Pharaoh of the gods, and all mortal pharaohs were said to be his descendants, as well as his mortal avatars.

I thought this was the developers' intent from the beginning, really. That's why I called it Blaziken-Horakty a few pages ago.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

holy poo poo these Deltas are so good from a design standpoint. I am in awe of the spritework on all of the desert ones, even if the Tangela is a simple recolor it's one done well. That Lopunny has some mad effort put into it :drat:

...someone was jerkin' to it, weren't they

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Of course they were, but if you let people jerking off to something ruin your enjoyment of it you can basically do nothing at all including die.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I still believe in aliens, the x-files are a documentary

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kurieg posted:

Someone's probably doing another round of spine donations I guess.

But they're also removing people's gang tags in the process... so...

:ssh: it's more than one person and no they aren't all doing that

give me more deltas or give me death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:ohdear: Once we finish with the Holon Region, we'll have seen all but like 2 of the Deltas in the game.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? I'm gonna open the floodgates back up. We're about halfway through the Holon region now. If you want to see me use or show off a particular pokemon or Delta, just speak up. There's only a couple limitations:

1. This is still Insurgence, so I'm not gonna use joke pokemon like Luvdisc
  2. Anyone in the Hall of Heroes should be considered permanently retired
  3. Electivire is a traitor and traitors die a thousand deaths

Yes, this means that even pokemon in the Best Pals Club are fair game. I'm gonna record the second half of Holon tomorrow, and unless I hear otherwise, I'm gonna be using these guys:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 15, 2019