Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

GeneX posted:

Lmao @ darkrai just running away

“Lady, what the gently caress, I’m getting out of here.”

Seems sensible to me. Darkrai just likes bad dreams, what would he want with literal blood sacrifices? You'd think a woman this obsessed with him would know something about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Being able to change the story in the options menu seems weird

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Black Robe posted:

Seems sensible to me. Darkrai just likes bad dreams, what would he want with literal blood sacrifices? You'd think a woman this obsessed with him would know something about him.

In fact, when we first meet her she's trying to destroy dreams with dream eater, rather than create them with nightmare.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am amazed Persephone is still leading the cult as two very public attempts to contact Darkrai end up with her being rejected should shatter any belief the nutters have in her.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I can only imagine that they don't want to give their costumes back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hunt11 posted:

I am amazed Persephone is still leading the cult as two very public attempts to contact Darkrai end up with her being rejected should shatter any belief the nutters have in her.

Maybe they have amazing health benefi-

Okay yeah, these guys are dumb. Or the other cults are somehow worse.

Draxion posted:

I can only imagine that they don't want to give their costumes back.

Or this. They are good costumes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Black Robe posted:

I just want all the Legendaries that these freaks claim to worship show up and act equally horrified that a bunch of edgelords think they demand atrocities to be “mature”.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

McDragon posted:

Being able to change the story in the options menu seems weird

I’m kind of reminded of how Brutal Legend gives you a prompt at the start to toggle how gory the gameplay will be (...and profanity).

The difference being, of course, that BL’s blood and gore doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb in the setting, since it wasn’t starting from a children’s game series.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Let's play Pokemon Insurgence!
:pkmnwhy:

Geostomp posted:

I just want all the Legendaries that these freaks claim to worship show up and act equally horrified that a bunch of edgelords think they demand atrocities to be “mature”.

Giratina: Wow, I got kicked out of reality for being too violent, and even I think this is messed up!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

We’re only one update in, and we’re already questioning why the hell this cult even exists. Between their leader treating them like cannon fodder, and the “god” they worship taking one look at the poo poo they’ve done in it’s name and running the hell away, it’s a wonder they didn’t start revolting the moment she was out of earshot.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I mean, it's not like cults all throughout history have had completely warped perspectives of how their worshipped deities actually stood for or whatever just to push their own agendas.

What I mean to say this is, as edgy as this fangame is, it's still leagues better than Reborn.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

You can knock off a few hours to me leaving it running while I did other stuff, but that was less than 10 total. Another good 6 hours of that was me dicking around in the postgame doing stuff. Pokemon Insurgence is a very, very long game.

:shepicide:

Sheezus. :shepicide: indeed. Are Pokémon games just longer than they used to be? Last I finished was Emerald, and I only really putzed around in Platinum and Black... or Black 2. Can't remember which.

On topic, this cult just got theocratically friend zoned. Seriously hoping the rest of the cults are as utterly inept.

"Darkrai, I wrote a song for you."
"Get the HELL away from me!"

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Persephone forgot the most important part of the ritual, carrying a printer to Darkrai's house.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Maybe they have amazing health benefi-

Okay yeah, these guys are dumb. Or the other cults are somehow worse.

Or this. They are good costumes.

The edgy version story is global variable 137. I'm guessing that it's a relatively high number (Insurgence uses 185 in total) because it was originally only edgy.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Miliardo posted:

Sheezus. :shepicide: indeed. Are Pokémon games just longer than they used to be? Last I finished was Emerald, and I only really putzed around in Platinum and Black... or Black 2. Can't remember which.

On topic, this cult just got theocratically friend zoned. Seriously hoping the rest of the cults are as utterly inept.

"Darkrai, I wrote a song for you."
"Get the HELL away from me!"

Darkrai: Let's not go using the word 'friend' here. These people are absolute assbutts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApeHawk posted:

I mean, it's not like cults all throughout history have had completely warped perspectives of how their worshipped deities actually stood for or whatever just to push their own agendas.

Normally cults don't get to directly meet the deity they follow though, much less get directly rejected by it. Twice.

I swear they stay around for the cool clothes. There's no way they don't realize that following a person that not only is very happy to murder them, but also can't actually do her job at all, is a terrible idea.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Persephone mixes a mean batch of Kool-Aid so I hear.
What do you think all that green stuff is?

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
So far this seems to have actual ideas and heart and writing that, while certainly not high art, could at least be campy fun.

On the other hand, this is the worst sprite edit I have ever seen. I know back sprites can be a little janky and hard to get right but seriously. Look at this thing.

Still, rather have a game with poo poo art and endearingly bad writing. It kinda adds to the charm.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, like, it's needlessly edgy but it seems like whoever made it was aware that's kinda silly and just leaned into it somewhat. It doesn't excuse it, necessarily, or make it good but it makes it seem more tolerable about it than Uranium and especially Reborn.

The cult robes being literally just Darkrai cosplay is wonderfully stupid.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
On the plus side I don't believe insurgence has any real life horror stories

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. As you hopefully recall, last time we escaped from the Cult of Darkrai. So let's continue to put the past behind us and move on by entering the game's first town.

: Mew.

I'm not making a portrait for Mew.

Mew hands us a flute and disappears back into whatever nega-zone that legendary pokemon live in.

So how long of a pause is three ellipses? Is it long enough to be awkward? I'd repeat that line about text boxes full of dots indicating flatulence, but that would make the Torren region the most methane-filled place in the pokemon world.

Eighteen dots between two text boxes. That's long enough that most people would have moved on by now.

I get the distinct impression we shouldn't be shouting our partnership with Mew from the rooftops.

Damian is one of our designated rivals for this game. He's a nice boy, but none too bright. Earnest but dumb.

The game doesn't harp on it, but Amy here is an amnesiac. That Gengar ate most of her memories. But it's okay, this is video game amnesia. So she doesn't have any of the actually debilitating side effects commonly associated with memory loss. Indeed, losing her memory has made her into the protagonist of a pokemon game, leaving her the single most competent person in the region by a long shot.

I'd like to think that someone's first reaction to seeing a barefoot little girl stumbling out of the woods with messy hair and wearing a cultist jumpsuit would be to ask questions, not invite her to help clean up the town. Apparently it's a common occurrence.

Now that we have control, we can explore. We'll go into the pokemon center later, but it's over to our left. Story progress is in the building to the right, and there's people to talk to all over.

the one here.

venues.

Bigger pokecenters have multiple floors and let you buy new clothes or change your hair. While playing Pretty Pink Princess Dressup was among my favorite parts of XY and SuMo, this game doesn't do the makeover mechanics well. You're better off installing Saint's Row 2 and playing dressup in that than you are here.

I'll cover this more in depth later when we actually get to the first big pokecenter.

We'll be putting these to good use. So far I've spent a lot of time being down on the game, but one thing I have to give the developers credit for is the selection of wild pokemon available. Official games wish they could be as good as Insurgence is for availability. You could conceivably "catch 'em all" in this game provided you have a high tolerance for bullshit.

The Lake Trio legendaries are locked behind the ultra-hard, postgame, bonus superboss fight against the devs. Their pokemon have hand picked movesets, beneficial natures, useful abilities, perfect IVs, are fully EV trained, and are all the maximum level of 120.

There's absolutely no way in hell I'm doing that.

Another thing I appreciate. This is the only tutorial we're gonna get. The devs are smart enough to realize that if you're playing a pokemon fangame, you understand the basic mechanics enough to not need hand holding.

This old lady likes the Augur.

:crossarms:

I think we're supposed to feel bad for Damian here. However, this is a fangame, its world is dangerous as hell. So his parents are being somewhat reasonable given the circumstances!

Keep on keepin' on, technology dude!

many different things.

It's a mega evolution. Its base stats increase to 498 with 83s flat across the board. If we don't pick Eevee as a starter (there's a choice) then we can't get its mega stone until postgame. We can't breed for one until just before the second gym at the earliest if we get lucky, and all the way until after the 7th gym if we're unlucky.

This lucky break is the Friend Safari feature. However it requires 1) Insurgence's online servers to actually cooperate and not crash the game and 2) a vanishingly miniscule chance on top of that. We will very likely not find an Eeveelution for an extremly long time. As of the time of writing, connecting to the online servers crashes the game 100% of the time.

This nice blue haired fellow gives us some free potions.

type.

like!

They're all competitive teams. One's baton pass, two are weather teams, and the last is a Trick Room team. It's as obnoxious as it sounds.

We probably could go in the lab right now, but I don't know what sort of havoc that will play with scripting. So let's just follow Damian into the town hall instead.

This is the building to the right of the pokecenter.

Wow, rude.

I'm showing this off to point out the upper left corner of the screen. You see that little diskette? That's me mashing the quicksave button. Insurgence's developers, despite having funny ideas about difficulty, are sane human beings who recognize that quality of life improvements don't necessarily "dumb the game down".

So I can mash the quicksave key like a caffeine-addled baboon and be no worse for the wear. We don't have to ever use the save option in the menu. Indeed if we do save manually, the save screen even tells us to not forget about quicksave, and even says how to use it.

Sure the game is ball-bustingly difficult at times, but they ultimately want you to succeed and even give you the tools to do so. I still struggle to call it "good" because there are a lot of questionable decisions along the way, and some of the surprise "gently caress you"s have left me bitter.

For what it's worth, we're no longer a bald alien floating 6 inches behind our hair and clothes.

Anyway, let's move on with the plot.

too.

I believe the correct term is "volunteered," as in "Damian volunteered me to help."

: Oh...

one of the caves in the forest.

Skipping liberally through this section. You're not missing much.

We're being tasked with babysitting Damian. The weird plot about Damian being inept and unable to breathe on his own without being reminded will never come up again. I don't get why it needed to be included in the first place, but sure.

I cut out a bunch of text boxes in that and you still got the gist of what was happening. Insurgence is wordy as gently caress. All you missed was the evil stepmother acting petulant and completely undermining my earlier point about her being somewhat reasonable. (She seriously says "He won't, though." as though she absolutely has to get the last word in.)

Damian's not-mother is no longer speaking with red text and is instead instructing us about local geography. :psyduck:

Do you think all pokemon labs look alike for a reason, or does everyone else just copy Oak's lab from RBY which had a wall of rack-mounted servers separating the front and back halves?

: Listen, Professor... These pokemon... they're freaks.

: Umm... hello?

into the forest safely.

I'm starting to think that Damian's stepmother had a point. This man here is incredibly, nonsensically dangerous and was in the middle of talking about how much bad poo poo he's done in his life. Damian thought that was a perfect opportunity to talk over the adults and be like "HI POKEMON PLZ."

in the wild.

Moving on, the man in the fedora recognizes how to turn the situation to his advantage.

: Put them on the table.

: So you two are in need of a pokemon?
: Yes, ma'am.
: I see.

Damian is definitely the "goodie two shoes" kid. The one that went crying to adults when one of his friends said "heck" or "shoot."

"Delta Species"?

I accidentally press yes.

: Well, I haven't...

Skipping text...

So our choices are a fairy princess, an edgelord, or a ninja squirtle. So guys just bold your choice and...

Nope, just kidding. See, the thing about Delta Types is that they're either really good or really terrible with no middle ground. They use the exact same base stats as the species they're a derivative of. So with Charmander or Bulbasaur that get a lot of special attacks and stats to match, you can coast through the first part of the game.

Delta Squirtle is Dark/Fighting, and there are several trainers with Machops in and around the first route. It's also primarily a special attacker, but now it has two types where the overwhelming majority of moves are physical.

Delta Bulbasaur on the other hand has the exact same typing as Gardevoir. In fact, we can find both a Ralts and a Pancham before the first gym battle. As far as I know, Giratina is the only Ghost/Dragon in existence. Plus, y'know, Charizard is finally getting his due and getting the much coveted dragon type. Even if it does make him a bit overpowered.

We can change names pretty much at will, so my lovely nicknames don't really matter in the long run.

Dracolich has 2 levels on Squirtle, but we don't have any supereffective moves.

Squirtle does, and is not shy about using them. We start off at a disadvantage, but it's not insurmountable.

Twister has a chance to make opponents flinch, so that's what wins us the fight.

Gym someday?

Damian runs out.

: Amy, can I talk to you for a moment?

Alright, that's enough for now. This update has drug on longer than I thought it would.

NEXT TIME: We start catching some stuff and grind on wild encounters in the forest.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Future updates won't be put out nearly as quickly as these first couple will be. I just want to get things rolling and get into the actual meat of the game.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The delta pokemon in this game are just :allears:

I got some amazing reactions from my friend when I showed off the skeleton lizard. I picked him too for my run!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Welcome to the BONE ZONE

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Delta Charmander rules. I'm glad you went with him.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Listen, Professor... These pokemon... they're freaks.

Have you even tried asking trainers to take them? These things are cool as poo poo. What self respecting trainer is going to go "Eww, incredibly rare and unique Pokemon. Get those away from me"? Bone Dragon Charmander and Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle look especially cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Deltas are really neat. That said, there's some clear balancing problems already, not only on how Delta Squirtle is a bad choice but also on a starter having a super-effective move on the first fight, making it that much harder on the player, level advantage or not. Also, Delta Bulbasaur having two sprites while the rest have one looks super weird.

What happens if you choose Eevee? Does Damian get an Eevee too?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Delta Pokémons are a neat idea: same stats, but different typing and moves. It's interesting, and something that would be cool to see in official games. (Do Alolan forms count? I don't remember whether they have the same stats as the mons they're based off of, or if they're statted differently.)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nice Peter Lorre cameo. The deltas look really cool too.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Delta Bulbasaur being Psychic/Fairy seems like a... questionable decision. Fairy lets it beat both Delta Squirtle and Delta Charmander with its STAB, since Delta Charmander is Ghost/Dragon.

It also nulls one of Delta Charmander's STABs, which doesn't mean anything because it's still weak to Ghost but it's still kind of weird to me.

Mikl posted:

Delta Pokémons are a neat idea: same stats, but different typing and moves. It's interesting, and something that would be cool to see in official games. (Do Alolan forms count? I don't remember whether they have the same stats as the mons they're based off of, or if they're statted differently.)

It depends on a species-by-species basis. Some have changed stats, but to my knowledge most of them keep the same base stats, and they definitely all have the same BST.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, apart from a mouthy abusive mother, nothing TOO bad so far... I think if I was coming into this blind, I'd have gone with the ninja squirtle, because TMNT was entirely my jam as a kid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I was hoping we'd get to see the adventures of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle or the pretty pink frog as they slowly grow larger and fatter. Bone-lizard is just boring edge.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Sylvan's not the name of a tree, 0/10, fangame ruined.

Psycho Knight posted:

Have you even tried asking trainers to take them? These things are cool as poo poo. What self respecting trainer is going to go "Eww, incredibly rare and unique Pokemon. Get those away from me"? Bone Dragon Charmander and Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle look especially cool.
Even in the official games, the reaction to weird genetic experiment Pokemon is "huh, guess I'll use it like all my other Pokemon". It's not that big of a deal!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Sylvan's not the name of a tree, 0/10, fangame ruined.

It means forest, however. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm am mildly disappointed at the lack of fairy princess dinosaur plant as our starter.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

HardDiskD posted:

It means forest, however. :v:

So he’s all the professors? Now that’s a twist. I’d pay big money for a game where it’s revealed all the professors are just split personalities

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So he’s all the professors? Now that’s a twist. I’d pay big money for a game where it’s revealed all the professors are just split personalities

I'd assume that he's the hub of the Tree-Professor hive mind. It'd fit this game's story.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm am mildly disappointed at the lack of fairy princess dinosaur plant as our starter.

Yeah, as always, Bulbasaur is clearly the best starter. :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have good news for you!

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
I love Delta Charmander's unbelievable edge. I can't wait to see Ghost/Dragon Charizard. I bet it's disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Delta Pokemon are from the TCG, right?