Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, that resolves that. Damian is still too young to be a first-generation infectee, just not "so then where's the flying cars" too young.

Can’t the pikataxi take you to islands on this game? Maybe there are flying cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It might just put you on ferry port to ride the rest of the way. I'm not accepting that until I see a car fly. :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

It might just put you on ferry port to ride the rest of the way. I'm not accepting that until I see a car fly. :colbert:
Hell, I'm pretty sure there are ferries (in the real world, even) that will take your car with you, for the right price.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, I'm pretty sure there are ferries (in the real world, even) that will take your car with you, for the right price.
Most of them do, these days, even over just plain rivers. I ride one regularly, as it happens. It's honestly kind of fun and I feel like a little child every time I get on there.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Carpator Diei posted:

I'm just disappointed we didn't get a boss fight against Tentacruelthulhu.

Also, it still bothers me that none of these cults act like cults. Up until this update, the Abyssal Cult seemed at least vaguely cultish (also not really like a cult centered around Kyogre but rather a generic doomsday cult whose doomsday device happens to be a Pokémon); then it was revealed that their end goal was just world domination after all. There is really no excuse to not just call them 'Neo Team Aqua' or something; in fact, they'd be better than the original Team Aqua since their leader actually has a somewhat rational motivation for flooding the planet. The plot up to this point feels like the whole cult thing was one of the earliest ideas in the writing process, and when it became clear that cults really don't fit with the camp-edgy feel the game is going for, the developers had already written themselves in a corner.

It gets me that they all refer to themselves as cults. I get that they want to be edgy and all, but nobody outright calls their group a cult unless they are either abandoning it or the top manipulators ranting to a plucky hero. It’s not like the name would change much since we’ve already had evil Teams that were cults in all but name before, but still.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Geostomp posted:

It gets me that they all refer to themselves as cults. I get that they want to be edgy and all, but nobody outright calls their group a cult unless they are either abandoning it or the top manipulators ranting to a plucky hero. It’s not like the name would change much since we’ve already had evil Teams that were cults in all but name before, but still.
I mean, these days they don't, but that's mostly due to modern cultural context. In antique times, it was perfectly common to hear people talk about the Kulteia Dionysia, or the Dionysian Cults, if what people have told me is accurate.

In modern contexts it's like sect, in that it doesn't mean anything bad intrinsically, but that people will understand it that way.

Then again, twelve-year-old's version of Saturday cartoon villains.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Patter Song posted:

I'm envisioning a lot of Water/Dark dual types.

I think that was the thought process for delta Huntail, cause it kinda resembles a dragonfish/deep sea eel

Its a pretty cool idea though. Imagine something based off a deep sea jellyfish, like the firework jellyfish. Or if ya wanna be edgy you could make a delta wailord that's ghost/water, based off of the real life carcasses that end up floating to the bottom of the sea for other fish to feed on.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is there a Pokemon based off the clione (sea angel) yet?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I had a thought - the stats talk and direct references are pretty annoying, but I think it only seems immersion-breaking because canon deliberately chooses not to do it. It actually makes perfect in-world sense.

Pokedexes have been a thing for decades and the PC system that shows summaries of your pokemon is implied to be in common use worldwide. Various professors constantly make educational TV and radio shows, plus there are countless weird books and Trainer Tips, and in some regions random gadgets that teach you technical things. TMs have descriptions of their specific power etc. Even stuff like IVs and EVs can be detected in-world in a limited way now, plus I'm sure random psychic people who can predict Hidden Power or manipulate a pokemon's memories can see more stat info.

At least some jargon would have made its way into normal use among trainers, possibly among the general public as well.

I still don't like it though.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Is there a Pokemon based off the clione (sea angel) yet?

There's Phione and its evolved form, Manaphy.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

TracerK posted:

There's Phione and its evolved form, Manaphy.

Phione doesn't evolve, it's just a weaker version of Manaphy that hatches out of an egg. I think the in-game justification is that Manaphy needs a very specific climate to hatch out, otherwise it'll just be a Phione. Out-of-game justification is that Manaphy's just a really weird Legendary.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Phione doesn't evolve, it's just a weaker version of Manaphy that hatches out of an egg.

... Huh. Learned something new today.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Every time I hear about Manaphy being based on the sea angel, I am disappointed they aren't based on blue angels instead, because they're just so much prettier.

I wonder if they'll ever make something based on a different kind of tiny sea creature called the hydra. They're miniscule, basically entirely harmless and would not be noteworthy at all if not for little quirk about them: they're biologically immortal. Insofar as they even age at all, which they mostly don't, they can start running their aging process in reverse and basically reset themselves into a newborn state. They're the only known multi-cellular life that has a theoretically infinite lifespan.

If that doesn't sound like a neat idea to design a gimmick mon around, I don't know what does.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 23, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Cardiovorax posted:

Every time I hear about Manaphy being based on the sea angel, I am disappointed they aren't based on blue angels instead, because they're just so much prettier.

I wonder if they'll ever make something based on a different kind of tiny sea creature called the hydra. They're miniscule, basically entirely harmless and would not be noteworthy at all if not for little quirk about them: they're biologically immortal. Insofar as they even age at all, which they mostly don't, they can start running their aging process in reverse and basically reset themselves into a newborn state. They're the only known multi-cellular life that has a theoretically infinite lifespan.

If that doesn't sound like a neat idea to design a gimmick mon around, I don't know what does.

Fortunately, Pokemon Sage has you covered in the blue angel department with what are 100% my favorite fakemon designs of all time:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's adorable, although I think it would look nicer if they had kept the red out of it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leraika posted:

Fortunately, Pokemon Sage has you covered in the blue angel department with what are 100% my favorite fakemon designs of all time:

Holy poo poo that's wonderful :kimchi:

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

A water/fire Mon based on creatures that live near deep sea vents would also be super rad. Or a water poison Mon that lives near *brine pools

Leraika posted:

Also??? I love this??? So much?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If we're talking about Fake Pokemon, I always liked these two designs I saw on Google search once.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Both of those are from Pokemon Sage, I think, I remember those from the Uranium thread. The first is a fire/grass type called Habunnearo or something like that. The second is poison/ghost and called Phlask. It comes in a different middle flavour that has blue smoke instead of red. The final evolution is the same for both paths.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Both of those are from Pokemon Sage, I think, I remember those from the Uranium thread. The first is a fire/grass type called Habunnearo or something like that. The second is poison/ghost and called Phlask. It comes in a different middle flavour that has blue smoke instead of red. The final evolution is the same for both paths.
Hoppanero, I think.

I always thought the Phlask line had a pretty interesting concept going on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

what I really like about Sage is they really nail the Pokemon Aesthetic, like Phlask looks right at home with Phantump, Pumpkaboo and Candelure, and Hoppanero looks like it'd be hopping in a field with mareep -

lot of fakemon tend to screw up on the eyes, and don't pay attention to how the series generally use color to tell you what at least one of it's types is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I want one of the little ones, honestly. It could be my lab buddy. I would call it the Ghost of Explosions Past.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If we're talking about fan pokemon that we like, I like the Kertruffle line from Sage and its unique requirements for evolving. Still not sure how "gain a level while fainted" is supposed to work for one of them though. Can you use Rare Candies on fainted pokemon?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know you can now. Not sure when you were originally able to, though.

Maybe Gen V?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I don't think you ever couldn't?

At the very least it was definitely in Gen IV - I distinctly remember reviving my starter in an Elite Four match with a Rare Candy to save on Revives.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Lyumia posted:

A water/fire Mon based on creatures that live near deep sea vents would also be super rad.
iirc, Uranium did that one with some sort of moray eel/tube worm.

For all the other things that were stupid about it, I thought a good number of the Pokemon were pretty interesting design-wise.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I admittedly still like the black sheep pun in that one fighting/dark line. :v:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Kitfox88 posted:

I admittedly still like the black sheep pun in that one fighting/dark line. :v:

Baashaun, Baaschaf, and Baariette, iirc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can't figure out for the life of me where the pun in those is supposed to be. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? Not a native speaker.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

I can't figure out for the life of me where the pun in those is supposed to be. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? Not a native speaker.

I don't think there's any pun in the names themselves (outside of maybe a reference to something called Shaun the Sheep), it's the fact that it's a literal black sheep counterpart to the Mareep line, and they're all posed in the same way as Mareep et al are (plus they were adjacent in the pokedex, etc).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, alright then. I thought there was some kind of wordplay in the names that I just wasn't picking up on, and that sounded kind of unlikely with how completely uncreative Uranium's portmanteau naming scheme is for all the rest of its fakemon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

how completely uncreative Uranium's portmanteau naming scheme is for all the rest of its fakemon.
Counterpoint: Daikatuna. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, I'll have to give you that one, haha. I actually laughed for a minute straight when that one came up.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I dug Vilucard because its Pokédex entry talks about how it’s basically a Sat AM villain constantly coming up with ridiculous schemes only to be foiled by Herolune.
If only the design and name were a little better...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Haifisch posted:

Does it try to make you it's bitch?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It has a sword.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Concerning Baaschaf, 'Schaf' is German for ''sheep'. I have no idea what Baariette is referencing (it doesn't seem to be French). Even the Uranium Wiki has only a blank space for the name origin, but in looking it up I discovered that there's a 2018 Halloween special version of the Baashaun line:

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, Uranium did that one with some sort of moray eel/tube worm.

For all the other things that were stupid about it, I thought a good number of the Pokemon were pretty interesting design-wise.

I don't remember a good chunk of the Uranium LP to be perfectly honest.

Carpator Diei posted:

Concerning Baaschaf, 'Schaf' is German for ''sheep'. I have no idea what Baariette is referencing (it doesn't seem to be French). Even the Uranium Wiki has only a blank space for the name origin, but in looking it up I discovered that there's a 2018 Halloween special version of the Baashaun line:

Dear god, it looks so dumb and I love it. Also, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that those were horns on it's head

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

LiefKatano posted:

I don't think you ever couldn't?

At the very least it was definitely in Gen IV - I distinctly remember reviving my starter in an Elite Four match with a Rare Candy to save on Revives.

It was in Gen 3 as well. I distinctly remember Kid Me using a rare candy on my fainted Gardevoir and being surprised when it came back to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Haifisch posted:

As mentioned in that thread, Katuna would've sufficed, and been a bit more Pokémon-like.