Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Your art :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Beeisel has never looked better! :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is surprising just how much Anastasia sucks as a person.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Don't judge me. I have deniable plausibility"

Just gently caress off Anastasia.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Gotta give it to the game: that's lovely in a completely realistic and believably "mature" kind of way. That's the kind of thing people do every day.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cardiovorax posted:

Gotta give it to the game: that's lovely in a completely realistic and believably "mature" kind of way. That's the kind of thing people do every day.

Anastasia is Huey Emmerich's "Never own up to anything you do" padawan.

"It would be very irresponsible of me to tell you to go to Maelstrom 9 with this scuba gear I'm giving you, breach the Abyssal Cult's secret lair and rambo your way through them. So I won't. Remember, anybody asks I told you NOT to do it"

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 29, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've never been more satisfied about a video game character's death as I was when I learned that Huey Emmerich died by drowning in his own pool while his own son hosed his second wife. Take that, Huey.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay Taen is my favourite character now. Making fun of the Darkrai cult and then pointing out how using a Master Ball to get a legendary is common sense is amazing, especially with how chill he was saying it. Common sense, come on. Amazing.

I'm guessing next fight he'll have Mega Charizard X, armoured Zekrom and White Kyurem though, so that probably won't be fun. Or will be fun, I dunno, it sounds like an interesting fight. Earthquake should help.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cardiovorax posted:

I've never been more satisfied about a video game character's death as I was when I learned that Huey Emmerich died by drowning in his own pool while his own son hosed his second wife. Take that, Huey.

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay Taen is my favourite character now. Making fun of the Darkrai cult and then pointing out how using a Master Ball to get a legendary is common sense is amazing, especially with how chill he was saying it. Common sense, come on. Amazing.

I'm guessing next fight he'll have Mega Charizard X, armoured Zekrom and White Kyurem though, so that probably won't be fun. Or will be fun, I dunno, it sounds like an interesting fight. Earthquake should help.

"I'm going to ask NICELY for you to help me take over the world" vs "We have a well established method of capturing these creatures, why aren't we using it?"

That's another thing I have to give Insurgence credit for, the villains are evil, sure, but they're also different compared to each other. Different motivations, natch, but also have different methods. I'm guessing Reborn and Uranium broke me.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

thinkin' bout goin' FASTE

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wouldn't two Shadow Balls be better than one Phantom Force anyway?

damage-wise, at least close, but phantom force is basically protect on the first turn, and it's more complete than fly (which can be affected by... some weak moves plus hurricane, I think) and dig and dive (which are still vulnerable to earthquake and surf). The danger of phantom force in competitive is that the opponent will switch in a normal-type, but the computer is usually terrible at that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
How many evil team Pokémon-altering gimmicks are we going to get in this game?

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

At least the armor is pretty tame as far as Pokemon-changing gimmicks go, and we even get to use some of it for ourselves which is actually kinda neat. The real question now is how long will it take for an Armored Mewtwo to show up. This is a fangame with armor, after all, so that little nugget seems inevitable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As those things go, the armor really makes sense. Pokeball weaken legendaries? Well, slap some power armor on it! It's at least less silly than searching for Glowing Orb of Badassitude, I'll say.

Actually, I don't even think it's even power armor of any kind, just a hunk of really solid metal. Which is the kind of thing where you really just have to wonder why all evil cults don't put that on their pokemans by default. It clearly works fine, it's just unsporting.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cardiovorax posted:

Actually, I don't even think it's even power armor of any kind, just a hunk of really solid metal. Which is the kind of thing where you really just have to wonder why all evil cults don't put that on their pokemans by default. It clearly works fine, it's just unsporting.

You ever try to put a sweater on a dog?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

On my grandmother's dog. He's Spanish, you see. Doesn't like the cold.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cardiovorax posted:

As those things go, the armor really makes sense. Pokeball weaken legendaries? Well, slap some power armor on it! It's at least less silly than searching for Glowing Orb of Badassitude, I'll say.

It's probably heavy considering how it looks so maybe it's just a matter of letting the Pokemon actually move, plus the Zekrom Armour is apparently super tech that only Anastasia (who comes across as just a bit of a capitalistic sociopath) ever created, maybe that goes for the other Armours too.

All the Pokemon we've seen that can use Armours have exactly or over 100 Attack base, so the weight thing makes some sense, to me at least.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Imagine Pikachu piloting a Unit 01 ripoff.

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, and they tend to be pretty difficult to deal with unless they're on the small end and are used to being dressed up.

Now i'm just imagining Taen trying to pin this Zekrom down to put a sweater on it while it struggles away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Imagine Pikachu piloting a Unit 01 ripoff.
You mean Digimon? :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cardiovorax posted:

You mean Digimon? :v:

:hmmyes:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GoldGeno posted:

Now i'm just imagining Taen trying to pin this Zekrom down to put a sweater on it while it struggles away.

gently caress that is just hilarious imagery right there.

"Come on Zekrom. Just put on the-"
"ZEKROM! ZEKROM!"
"DON'T YOU SASS ME, MISTER! NOW PUT ON THE SUIT!"

Also I like the idea of suits being made for pokemon to help them become more viable. Imagine putting a Dunsparce in one. We could make it totally viable! I mean, at least put it on the same level as a semi-decent pokemon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kemix posted:

gently caress that is just hilarious imagery right there.
Boy is it ever.

Gyarados! Gyarados! Or something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering that armored Mewtwo was a thing way back when, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen more "armor/equipment but for pokemon". I mean, barding for horses dates back to the 14th century, do you honestly mean to tell me that only an evil organization went "Haaaaaaang on, these creatures that we use almost exclusively for fighting could do with some goddamn armor"? Or at the very least, more pokemon-specific equipment that enhances that specific pokemon line.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta remember that Pokemon fighting is basically still mostly just a sport for little children. I'm pretty sure the Pokemon Little League would have rules against that kind of thing, if only to avoid a pay-to-win situation. Like I said, it's unsporting.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Gotta remember that Pokemon fighting is basically still mostly just a sport for little children. I'm pretty sure the Pokemon Little League would have rules against that kind of thing, if only to avoid a pay-to-win situation. Like I said, it's unsporting.

The only time that seemed to be a case was in the most recent set of games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression, but half the time, Pokemon Gyms seem to be staffed by older children and maybe led by a teenager. The other half of the time it's someone who looks like a neighbourhood dad taking care of the baseball pitch in his spare time. Adults use pokemon, but actually running around fighting competitively? That's seems to be mostly a kids' thing to me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression, but half the time, Pokemon Gyms seem to be staffed by older children and maybe led by a teenager. The other half of the time it's someone who looks like a neighbourhood dad taking care of the baseball pitch in his spare time. Adults use pokemon, but actually running around fighting competitively? That's seems to be mostly a kids' thing to me.
I think part of that is that when you're an adult you need like, an actual job and stuff, too. You have better things to do than focus purely on pokemon battling, even if that thing is focusing on, idk, search and rescue using pokemon or doing crime using pokemon. Battling for the sake of battling is a younger person's game, I feel.

EDIT: And then an older person's game once you retire.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, in general, the adults seem to treat them rather more like work animals. Beloved pet-type work animals, but work animals nonetheless.

quote:

EDIT: And then an older person's game once you retire.
A bit like Dachshund breeding. Makes sense.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Randalor posted:

Considering that armored Mewtwo was a thing way back when, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen more "armor/equipment but for pokemon". I mean, barding for horses dates back to the 14th century, do you honestly mean to tell me that only an evil organization went "Haaaaaaang on, these creatures that we use almost exclusively for fighting could do with some goddamn armor"? Or at the very least, more pokemon-specific equipment that enhances that specific pokemon line.

horse armour actually dates back to the elder scrolls iv

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, in general, the adults seem to treat them rather more like work animals. Beloved pet-type work animals, but work animals nonetheless.

A bit like Dachshund breeding. Makes sense.
Or just straight-up pets, like Nanu's dozen stray meowth or protagonist mom's meowth in Sun/Moon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DoubleNegative posted:

: Each can do unique things the other couldn't hope to try. If we could combine the talents of both people and pokemon... Perfection... perfection could finally be achieved.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Pokemon can drown the world in eternal twilight and moon lasers, humans can make sweet armor. It's pretty clear-cut, I think?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Pokemon Conquest had Pokemon in armour I think. Or was it just humans in Pokemon-themed armor...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Pokemon Conquest had Pokemon in armour I think. Or was it just humans in Pokemon-themed armor...

It was human in Pokemon themed armor if I remember it correctly.

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

I know one of the Pokemon movies (I wanna say the Lucario one?) had armored Pokemon fighting in some war in the prologue. Armored Pokemon *exist* in at least the anime canon but they only ever seem to get used in the darker stuff.

...Actually, armor featuring in only the darker bits of the anime could go a long way in explaining why it's one of those things that pops up in fangames from time to time. Gotta be cool and mature and not your granddaddy's Pokemon after all.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Each can do unique things the other couldn't hope to try. If we could combine the talents of both people and pokemon... Perfection... perfection could finally be achieved.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

: What a nutcase. That's the craziest thing I've heard in my life.
I like that once again our LPer's reaction to Taen's insanity is exactly the same as the people in-game.:allears:

Also, I'm a little confused about the "stones and glass houses" comment:

DoubleNegative posted:

: Zekrom... joined you? Why would it choose to join forces with something like you?
: It didn't. I caught it. It's very easy to get a pokemon to obey you once you've tamed it.
: You're a monster.

Stones and glass houses there, Orion.
Last I remember, Orion was actually pretty cool? He's definitely not done anything that I'd say makes him a "monster".:confused:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Saladin Rising posted:

Also, I'm a little confused about the "stones and glass houses" comment:

Last I remember, Orion was actually pretty cool? He's definitely not done anything that I'd say makes him a "monster".:confused:

I think it's more on how apparently it's not okay to use pokeballs when likely he uses pokeballs for all his regular mons

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While it's good that the game pushes the friendship between man and Mon message because it's one of the most important of the franchise and it stops the mons from feeling like tools (as in another fangame I don't need to name), it does feel kind of hypocritical to criticize Taen for catching a Pokémon and using it when... That's how society in general works. He's absolutely right that it's common sense to chuck a ball to a legendary you want.

The point is that he's using Zekrom I guess but it doesn't really show why this is wrong, unlike baiting and catching Reshiram when it already had a trainer-Pokémon bond. Still, that's much better than reducing them to tools so I don't really have a complaint, it's just kind of funny gameplay and story segregation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Randalor posted:

Mewtwo’s armor was specifically designed to limit it for Giovanni’s use and was promptly blown to bits when Mewtwo got sick of being used. Still, you’d think some of the other evil groups would try something like that to ensure they keep control over the Legendaries they target.