Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Epicmissingno posted:

One thing that Pokemon fangames consistently seem to fail to understand is that level-up moves often end in the mid-60s for a reason: if you're just going through the story/postgame, that's probably around where you'll end up. So when these fangames raise the endgame level, even without an increased cap, there should always be more moves to learn to make things interesting. 40 or more empty levels is decidedly not fun!

If I was gonna push max levels to 120 I'd make sure it's drat well worth it. Like we're talking "a second Ability at level 101, one free Z-Move per battle at 120" kind of bonkers poo poo. Have level cap options in PVP battles for 50, 100, 110, and 120 so you can pick which tier of ridiculousness you wanna mess with there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Pyroi posted:

gently caress yeah, Shuckle!

Shuck yeah!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm the mouth teeth that goes from neck to navel somehow? Is that a second mouth or is that really weird stripes? :psyduck: I'm getting Mawile vibes but minus the mouth tail.

Poorly articulated ribcage.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

DoubleNegative posted:

Unfortunately, the guy that lets you change a pokemon's ability to a hidden one is a postgame thing. With two, possibly three major exceptions, the postgame is incredibly easy. So the only thing to use the crabcake on would be the countless trash trainers populating the postgame routes, refighting the Elite Four, or fighting the dev team. Neither of those last two sound like particularly fun ideas.

Sounds like a good excuse to edit a save, just give your Strawberry Shortbug its HA and move on. :p

Why IS such a nice thing locked way past anywhere you'd ever realistically need it for again? With all the other cool QoL bonuses, that seems like an odd misfire.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Get two wild Totodile, trade one for Crabcake.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Mikl posted:

Also isn't it possible to change difficulty in Insurgence without having to start a new game?

Yes, it's in the Options menu. I am pretty sure you can do it anytime you are not in a fight.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I've been playing this intermittently, and I just had an amusing bit of difference from the LP. I picked up the Delta Squirtle as my starter (named Neenjah), and it just completely no-sold the Solrock/Lunatone dude in Midna Mine. He started at level 14, and hit 15 after bopping Solrock. He was slower than both of them.

Solrock missed with all 3 of the attacks it got to use before it died. Fire Spin, Rock Throw, Fire Spin. All missed.

Lunatone was more interesting, but I think that's only because of a bug. Hypnosis worked on Delta Squirtle twice despite its Dark typing. It spent two of its turns using Rock Polish, 2 on Hypnosis, and it used Rock Throw once for an ineffective 5HP hit.

When I triggered the fight I went "oh poo poo" because I had forgotten about him from the LP until I walked into him, but I got super lucky, I guess.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

HardDiskD posted:

How can be the original 151 have unoriginal designs if they were the first? :confused:

Cause they stole 'em from actual animals and Digimon? :v: There's no possible explanation for this that respects the fourth wall.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FoolyCharged posted:

In what world is a big, stupid jellyfish forest themed?

coral forest

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

For what it's worth I tried Gaia a few weeks ago and could barely even run it. The computer it's on shouldn't have ANY trouble emulating GBA hacks, but it was chuggin' FIERCE. Like upwards of two seconds for the screen transition to go up/down the stairs in the house you start in.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

There should be a regional variant of Delta Misdreavus that accounts for the southern hemisphere having seasons in different months than the northern. :p

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

XainZero posted:

Shiny Delta Blastoise being Bowser is dumb in the most perfect way.

Also. Kyurem huh. I think I see where that's going.

I mean, he tried to steal Reshiram. If you don't see where that's going, you're blind.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Vandar posted:

The third versions are already becoming a thing of the last. Gen V and Gen VI both skipped them. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon brought them back, but it makes me wonder if they’re going to continue skipping them in the future or not.

...who would you base a third Let’s Go game around? Let’s Go Meowth, maybe?

Let's Go Farfetch'd!

But no, let's be real, we all know who the devs' favorite is. It'd be Let's Go Riolu!.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Wobbuffet is a glorious rear end in a top hat and this is exactly the sort of treatment a surprise douchenozzle boss like that deserves. Good work.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Cardiovorax posted:

That's clearly kerplunking, Calvin just sucks at spelling.

Nah, Kerplunking requires sticks and marbles, not rocks.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Cardiovorax posted:

You get out of here with your fancy newfangled marbles witchcraft, I'm talking classic kerplunking, like we dids back when I was a kid. :colbert:

Newfangled 1967 witchcraft. How old were you again, Grandpa? :nallears:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Hunt11 posted:

It is more that there is already a whole thread devoted to dealing with Reborn.

"Dealing with" is the correct phrase. It's going through every stage of grief, really. They've gone past Anger and are currently deep into the Musical Theatre stage.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So what was up with the secret passage behind the loose book? Did that just lead to more of the library that was already covered?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It's a literal anchor shark. That's so drat cool.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Before we give you the green-engine tax credit, I gotta check: What's the vehicle identification number of that Delta Vespiquen?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

KataraniSword posted:

It's like how it's not a rock, it's The Rock.

It's The Douchebag.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Some Numbers posted:

I love 90s depictions of Americans in Japanese media. Surge and Bandit Keith are hilarious.

G Gundam's depictions of EVERY country were hilarious. So were Street Fighter's. Japan has some wild ideas about the rest of the world.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, grass itself is usually the one giving the tons of weaknesses there. Fire, Ice, and Flying are all super common not just as types, but as off-type filler moves (how many water-types do you know of with easy access to Ice Beam? What about literally everything with Acrobatics or Aerial Ace?) and while Bug and Poison aren't nearly as common, they're still prevalent enough to poke holes in your defenses, especially in newer generations where they aren't poo poo on the attack like they used to be. Add in the fact that the only thing Grass itself hits super-effective is Ground, Rock, and Water, which have more versatile counters in Water and Electric, respectively, and it's just... usually Grass is the underdog of starter types for a reason.

Weedlax is good enough to not care about a bad typing, though. :swoon:

Grass starters usually get their popularity based on their design rather than their utility or power, yeah. Grass starters are almost all really neat, especially in the first and final stages, though the middle evolution being unimpressive is a common problem among drat near everything that evolves more than once.
I say 'almost' because I find Chikorita's line really boring.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess that explains why he doesn't age. He's been a pokezombie for years now.

Looking pretty sharp for a dead guy, though.

♪ And all the liches say I'm pretty fly for a dead guy ♪

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Yeah, funny enough, the Perfection cult isn't exactly a unified front, either in ends or means. The long-term goal is the same, but their short-term goals are all over the place. If anything, the Sky cult is better at being driven in the same direction, though that's primarily due to being controlled by a nearly-theocratic dictator. The Perfection cult seems like a bunch of bitter, jaded old men trying to fix what they think is wrong with the world, through a strange combination of politics, force, and misplaced charity, all while being dead wrong about most of their assumptions. (Hmm, that's oddly familiar.)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

DoubleNegative posted:

The devs have been working on an update for a few years now, but the story is feature complete. I don't know if that update will ever show up to be honest. There are things in the postgame content that tie Insurgence to the lead guy's next fangame which is where I believe most of the effort is going.

Does his next game have any releases up or is it just forum posts and a fever dream right now?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That thing looks incredibly unsafe. Call it Livewire.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Haifisch posted:

Same, except with everything Fairy type. Doubly so for the older things I never remember turned Fairy in Gen 6. (Clefairy, obvious enough. Jigglypuff, sure, I guess. Mr. Mime? Togepi? What? Why?)

Pretty much anything that used to be Normal and was not "literally just a real animal with maybe a single exaggerated characteristic" is now Fairy. :v:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

LiefKatano posted:

It'd also take half damage from Fighting, Bug, and Dark moves, which might be enough to hang on (if not as Blissey then possibly as Eviolite Chansey? idk, it's too late for me to be theorizing).

Trading Ghost immunity for Dragon immunity seems like it would be slightly better, if still about neutral all around.

Would a Normal/Fairy Blissey be more or less terrifying than it is now? (IIRC this is the typing of Delta Dwebble's line, so we have some baseline for comparison.)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

value-brand cereal posted:

Yeah but when are outside medias ever canon for pokemon games? A lot , I would guess, but I don't watch anime like a good, upstanding member of society.

Pokemon Yellow. Also, Let's Go! P&E apparently had Jessie and James show up a bunch of times.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

megane posted:

By the end Taen is going to be running six legendaries, all with power armor and all in mega form at all times

and still lose.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Inferno-sama posted:

Maybe then Reurka will just give up on him.

Or maybe Reurka will reveal that his last name is Astley...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kurieg posted:

Curse the Audino trainer, ruining my perfect serviceable joke.

Here it'd be Razz Berry anyway.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Zereth posted:

Wait

Wait, Zenith had a trap door

in his table??

:psyduck:

People expect it in the floor, especially if it's marked. Tell a guy to hop on the table, NOBODY expects a trapdoor there.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The big anime eyes are better for Dragonite because it looks like a plushie already, but I kinda prefer Dragonite's eyes on the Dragonair. It makes it look more like the archetypal wise Eastern dragon. Like, it almost makes me want Contests to come back so I could put that small-eyed Dragonair in a Smart Contest. :v:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FoolyCharged posted:

Look, just because it's an avatar of nightmares doesn't mean it can't enjoy a quiet weekend at Bernie's.

ftfy

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I can understand Sound beating Dark. It's the Macross/Symphogear/Ar Tonelico bit about songs beating back evil. And yes, I know Dark is more underhanded tricks than outright evil, but... this isn't much more of a stretch than Bug beating Dark because Kamen Rider!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Thanks for the great LP.