Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, like, it's needlessly edgy but it seems like whoever made it was aware that's kinda silly and just leaned into it somewhat. It doesn't excuse it, necessarily, or make it good but it makes it seem more tolerable about it than Uranium and especially Reborn.

The cult robes being literally just Darkrai cosplay is wonderfully stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dareon posted:

And when you named your Caterpie Boris I was expecting you to hold out for a female Weedle and name it Natasha. Which just shows my age.

Nastasha. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Wanna see a Carvanha, because I like that angry fishboy. :shobon:

Since it came up already. can Delta Golem learn Psycho Cut at least?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I could be seeing things and/or misremembering, but that looks like the first puzzle from GSC's Ruins of Alph to me. I know it wasn't a sliding tile puzzle there, and maybe there's something about the way it plays out, but it doesn't seem that bad. :shrug:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Randalor posted:

The Houndooms of Tindalos

The Kingdra in Yellow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

It sure seemed like that was what the Oracle was saying. "What? That can't be true!" "Oh, I assure you it's true, but I'm not mentioning names, Nora."

The Oracle specifically addressed her because she asked how to avoid it.

The "traitor" is obviously going to be Amy, and odds are good that it's not going to be a real betrayal but something that gets interpreted as one due to ~wacky misunderstandings~. That probably only happens now because of the Oracle stating that it's a betrayal, even..

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

This has been bugging me for a while, but why does Noel have a DeepSeaTooth glued to him as his Held item? Unless it's been changed for this game, the Sp.Atk boost is only for Clamperl. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I dunno if it's just me, but during the entire scene in the room that Taen had conspicuously just... vanished was in the forefront of my mind. Like he was in the generator room, left and then was nowhere to be seen. I was expecting him to do something but nope. Nothing comes of it. Guess I overthought that one. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I keep forgetting when this game actually happens. When are we again, in relation to the latest official game?

Audrey said RSE's events were 30 years before the start of this game in her monologue, so that probably helps at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

we're meant to see Taen as having good qualities rather than just being an evil villain being evil at all times. There's no way to justify him letting the starters be starters as evil, for instance.

Considering Perfection is the only Cult we've seen with two important people, and Taen being the one of those two who's been a dickhead that has been fought a couple times now, I don't think Taen is the one we're meant to think has good qualities here. If anything, he's here to act as an equivalent stand-in to the other Cult leaders, while Reukra is morally gray but generally pretty alright overall, and it seems likely that he's probably someone that Amy'll never have to fight. Like, as part of the main story as a means of foiling an evil plot at least. Not ruling out something like a post-game battle.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 30, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I gotta admit, as bad as Nora has been lately I did like her being confused by how the Infernal Cult's plan for getting Groudon wasn't edgy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

DiggleWrath posted:

What really brings it together though is that she looks like she's 50

I really can't see how you've reached this conclusion. She looks late teens/early 20s at the absolute most.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zenith being super unashamedly a fascist dictator who literally coerces and then mind controls people is... not at all what I expected.

I did get a dark chuckle out of the townspeople being all "it sure is nice that Zachary isn't evil!" the whole time, at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

This is what I was gonna go with...

Kikas posted:

Name it Rhydon

But it's gotta be this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

a cult literally calling itself one is indeed edgy.

It's a Saturday Morning Cartoon move.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Honestly, my low-key favourite thing (that DN hasn't mentioned) is most of the soundtrack. There's some weird decisions (the Gym Leader battle track is oddly melancholy), but I definitely have to highlight Audrey's theme as probably my favourite in concept. It starts with claps of thunder, rainfall and a storm warning siren which is amazingly clever... even if it does transition into being fairly generic EDM afterwards.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's not so much that Persephone was left behind, as it was that Diana straight up abandoned her. They sort of danced around spelling it out explicitly, but it was very heavily implied.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I did read it as Amy being the First Augur originally, but then I remembered we know that their Mythical Pixie legendary was a Hoopa. Unless something changes very soon, that kinda throws a giant wrench in the theory.

GirlCalledBob posted:

Ah yes, blackmail the god-like being, that surely will not go wrong at all.

Judging from the final screenshot, Persephone got thrown into the Dream World as well. Darkrai noticed the glaring loophole in her instruction and shoved her straight through it.

Persephone has this amazing ability to always find a way to gently caress up. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

TheKirbs posted:

Did they ever say why the Infernal Cult is going after Groudon?

No, because they explicitly weren't going after Groudon. Because Zenith already had it from the start.

It was a neat subversion of the usual forced-to-fail event and, since it would never come up, the "why" isn't really relevant here. That's more relevant for the First Augur's story, which is long since over.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

According to the Insurgence wiki, his hair color and skin tone match what you choose for the protagonist at the start.

AlphaKretin posted:

Also, since when did Mew absorbing DNA require a Gym badge?

It's not so much that you need the badge. Adam is the only one here with Hoopa DNA for obvious reasons. He's also the Gym leader. He just admits that he's not gonna give you one without the other, because there's no point. If you have the DNA without the badge, you could leave and never be able to return. Likewise, the badge without the DNA is useless because it's just a shiny trinket.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Starting to really hate Play Rough's accuracy. I should probably give Gateau a Scope Lens to offset it.

I got curious why Scope and not Wide, so I looked it up and... Scope Lens doesn't affect accuracy. It's basically just Focus Energy (Crit rate increases 1 stage). Wide Lens is x1.1 multiplier to accuracy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Oh come on, the throwaway trainers being silly was one of the things I could give the game credit for and now it's all about the edge. Ugh.

One area does not automatically mean every other regular trainer is no longer going to be silly. Nor does it mean that every one that came before has been instantly negated.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

the second casually dropped a prequel meme.

He uses a Sandstorm team. His name is Eduard.

Which is an anagram of Darude.

He is a living meme.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 27, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'm pretty sure "strongest" is just a cute way of saying the dev team's favourites from each gen, give or take. Alain was also apparently in XY, or at least the anime adaptation, so that explains that one at least.

If you swapped Cynthia or Dawn out and had someone from the otherwise conspicuously absent Gen 2, it'd just work better. 1 cameo battle for each gen, the OC King and a Dev team member to round it out.

Actually, speaking of, the void area that was a series of dungeon cameos also included every gen except 2. I guess the devs just really don't like it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It'a tough to decide for sure, but I'd deal with Taen first,.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It definitely predates Sun and Moon, since it lacks anything from Gen 7 whatsoever. Like one early game NPC comments on Alolan stuff, but that could've been a later addition before Sun and Moon even released for all I know.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, Stonehenge gets aliens or druidic stuff a lot but the difference there is Stonehenge generally gets it more for why, not how. "How" is never really questioned in the same way for the one that just so happens to be European.

The ones that aren't? Why isn't important. It's always how, which is another thing that subtly tells you it comes from a place of (subconscious) racism.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

rannum posted:

I think Insurgence & Reborn also have entirely too high wild encounter rates
Is there just something screwy with pokemon essentials or is this intentional and if the latter why

Encounter tables are determined entirely by manual entry. Water (and caves) by default has a much lower encounter rate than grass does. You give each one a value out of 180 to calculate the encounter rate. By default, Grass has an encounter rate of 25/180 or ~14% chance at any given step in tall grass. Water (and the inside of caves), meanwhile has a default rate of 10/180 or ~5.5% chance of an encounter while surfing. It's surprisingly easy to mess this up and crank the rate up too high with minimal changes.

I don't know about Insurgence specifically on this front, since the data files for that aren't viewable without jumping through extra hoops, but for Reborn you can look through it no problem. So I did, and for every single map they're either the default values or lower, making random encounters happen less often than even in the actual official games (even grass is often reduced to a sub-5% encounter chance). Seems like an odd mercy, but this IS Reborn so reduced encounter rates mean you can travel through areas faster... in return you get even less things and are missing EXP so you gotta grind even more. The giant hellscape desert that OFS just did, for example, has an encounter density of 2 which works out to ~1% chance of a wild Pokemon encounter on any given step. And there's a few fair areas with density set to 1, even.

How easy is it to mess up? Well, one game I played somewhat recently set density to 45. Out of 180. So that's a 25% chance of a fight every step. Not thinking it through makes 45 seem not that bad but good Lord is it obnoxious and awful. It's kind of amazing that Amethyst didn't mess that one thing up and instead messed it up in the opposite direction.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 16, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, like, what does Achilles' Heel actually do? The quoted effect doesn't match the move's description and neither match the description of the TM either. It has three descriptions which contradict each other:

Insurgence Wiki posted:

Achilles Heel deals damage only if there is a Pokemon sharing the same line as the user in the foe's party.

Checks the enemy party to match the user, and then lets you deal damage to anything. Odd and doesn't make sense but okay I guess.

Move Description posted:

The user studies the weaknesses of an identical Pokemon in their party to strike the foe with alarming blow.

Checks... your party to match the user and then lets you deal damage to anything. That's actively nonsense and really makes me think this is incredibly badly written.

TM Description posted:

The user strikes with a powerful blow if there is a Pokemon of the same line as the foe in their party.

Checks your party to match the target and then lets you deal damage to it and nothing else. This makes the most sense considering it's called Achilles' Heel but that makes it even less usable!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Relic walls are everywhere and it mostly sounds like they gate stuff that it's kinda silly to throw up multiple barriers for anyway. Might as well get it out of the way now, really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mimes also literally touch nothing. That's kinda the point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I expected the Darkrai-Damian skip to be something the game was built around but no, it looks like a very clear glitch. That's bad.

The game literally points out in the cutscene that you have Darkrai so fighting is pointless. That seems very intentional to me.

It even calls out that you could do to Malde what Persephone and Jaern do as the instigating incident of the game with it!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, that was clearly awkward presentation on DoubleNegative's part. The screenshot he showed comes from a few lines later - you can see it repeated in the dialogue.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

iospace posted:

What was in the Pokeball on the altar? Or was it just part of the model?

I'm gonna guess "nothing" considering Taen straight up said it was a decoy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That random "pn" from one of the TV crew was a typo in the dialogue. "\PN" is the command to display the player's name, so they just missed a backslash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

This was a great LP. Thanks, DoubleNegative!

Elchar posted:

Well, I had to make a little goodbye to this fun thread. All three of them together.

Best Friends :3: