Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

McDragon posted:

Being able to change the story in the options menu seems weird

I’m kind of reminded of how Brutal Legend gives you a prompt at the start to toggle how gory the gameplay will be (...and profanity).

The difference being, of course, that BL’s blood and gore doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb in the setting, since it wasn’t starting from a children’s game series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We’re only one update in, and we’re already questioning why the hell this cult even exists. Between their leader treating them like cannon fodder, and the “god” they worship taking one look at the poo poo they’ve done in it’s name and running the hell away, it’s a wonder they didn’t start revolting the moment she was out of earshot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Plus Insurgence’s grimdark stuff so far has been unintentionally hilarious (again, Darkrai taking one look at the ritual sacrifice made in it’s name and going “fuuuuck this”), while Reborn’s never really risen to that level. At best it’s just dull with how overbearing it gets, at worst, it makes me sincerely wonder what the hell is wrong with the creator.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Miss posted:

im in love...

Should we really be encouraging autocannibalism, though?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Who are the Pi Ka Rai Chu Lo?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s kind of funny how posters in this thread have seemingly already largely forgotten the whole “ritual sacrifice” introduction, while the train bombing at the start of Reborn still gets referenced.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So, if it’s not too spoilery to ask... Is it going to be a while before we hit the next “holy poo poo that got dark again” point in the story?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

There’s also the N option: only use ‘mons available between your last gym and the next one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, it’s not like they can make it any worse than it already is.

...Unrelated question: what would be the hypothetical worst type combination possible? As in, it has the most types that it is directly weak to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

iospace posted:

Ok, so, plot edginess and meta bullshit aside, I do have to say they at least have some decent mechanical ideas for the game.

I expect the entire plot to rear its ugly as gently caress head soon though, it's been super subdued.

Same. Honestly, the intro section is really jarring compared to everything else we’ve seen so far... So I’m expecting the facade to crack again sometime soon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Considering one of Clover’s mons is a loving Holocaust joke... Yyyyyeah, no, don’t touch it with a 40-foot pole.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Jesus, that’s one hell of a villainous entrance.

And... Honestly, it feels like the majority of the Delta mons are gonna wind up being “cool in theory, botched in execution”, which kind of makes me wonder why they even bothered with most of them if they weren’t going to also give them some kind of viable niche. And don’t get me wrong, I really do like the concepts behind a fair few of them, and we haven’t seen anything as cringe-y as the evolution of the possessed Substitute doll from Uranium, either.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

The story would be deceivingly less edgy and make more sense if you used the pocket full of creatures you have to try and save the hiker and his family

I’d fully expect that plot armor would kick in and the lead villain would still blow them up even if you did confront and beat them in a battle.

Then again, my expectations are pretty tempered by Reborn pulling that poo poo all the loving time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Unusable pokémon getting buffed in a fangame seems a little farfetched, doncha think?

Nah, the proper fangame way of doing it is to make the even halfway decent ‘mons unusable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Define “memorial”. Because, uh, depending on how you count in-game tributes to dead people from your RP group...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Endure’s Game

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, it's pretty terrible writing.

It kind of cemented the idea that Ash is never going to actually win a Championship outside of filler arcs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I say Poliwrath, but rename it to Bradley.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And then there’s trainers commanding their Pokemon to commit outright murder against other humans.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

So are we ever going to see these wild strong deep sea pokemon or no?

We probably will.

...In Reborn. As an especially awful PULSE fight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Imagine Pikachu piloting a Unit 01 ripoff.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Uranium is also an underground bar to clear, though admittedly not that underground.

And Reborn burrowed straight through the Earth’s core and is currently on a collision course for the sun.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If anything, shouldn’t grass be weak to fighting, since some martial arts have their practitioners practice by punching piles of leaves?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Trees are generally pretty resistant to being punched.

That’s why you topple them over with your leg.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

See, that could actually make for a decent character hook: what do you do when you’re basically set for life, have all the money, power, and influence you could ever want... And you still can’t find any satisfaction?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Then again, if Amy was the First Augur, wouldn’t the jig be up the moment someone outside of a cult saw her?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, apparently they can’t breed (per Bulbapedia), so that should sort itself out sooner or later. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Oh.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

What if the Inverse/Distorted World leaked into reality after all? :v:

...But yeah, nth’ing everyone else on them running the “joke” down into the bedrock.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Doesn’t give you the mercy warning/free chance to switch your ‘mon out after you KO the opponent’s, IIRC?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I always imagined him as a Fat Tony kind of voice.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's clearly Nuclear.

It’s wiiiiiiiild!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...I had to do a double-take to make sure that Delta Dwebble 2 wasn’t discovered by MorallyInept.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We already have Pokemon Quartz, though? :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Use a Delta Mega Sableye named 50cent at least once, IMO.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also the player gets blamed for causing it all, even though the liar was dumb enough to leave her diary laying out her true feelings in plain sight... And still does even if you took the prompt to not read said diary.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Sage, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And we don’t have an absolute flood of characters who all have their own overly-dramatic story arcs that you’re expected to keep track of for the overall plot.