Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They said the gyms here have themes instead of monotypes? I'd say that's a decent change. Probably the only thing it does right though from what I've seen so far.

Ok, second thing, after the doofy looking Delta!Diglet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, apart from the edge, it seems like it's... not bad? I mean I'm not going to go out and play it, to drat with faint praise, there's some effort put into it unlike the other LP being LP'd right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think Gen 7 hit EXP scaling the best.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's why I never care until post game about natures and IVs and EVs. I feel that ruins the game

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GeneX posted:

CAKE CRAB

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoubleNegative posted:

Hard difficulty
  • Increased levels during major trainer battles.
  • Level caps corresponding to the highest level of upcoming major trainer battles. If the player reaches this level cap, any Pokémon that has met this limit will receive 1 EXP when defeating another Pokémon in battle until the level cap has been raised again.
  • More Pokémon to fight on the teams of certain major trainer battles. Different Pokémon may also be used during a few major trainer battles. These Pokémon are intended to make battles more difficult and may not adhere to the continuity of the story as a result.
  • Reduced number of Pokémon used by partners during Multi Battles.
  • Increased number of items held by opponents' Pokémon during certain major trainer battles. Though most but not all movesets/abilities of major trainers' Pokémon are competitive, each Pokémon's type coverage is increased significantly.
  • Individual Values will be set to 31 in all stats, for nearly all major trainers' Pokémon.
  • Beneficial Natures are assigned to all major trainers' Pokémon starting with the fourth gym.
  • 510 non-random, beneficial Effort Values will be assigned to some major trainers' Pokémon starting at the Whirl Islands.
  • Inability to set the Battle Style to Shift and use items when challenging the Pokémon League.

I know USUM at least (and I think SuMo) would give out IV and EV values to individual trainers you'd encounter, with the spread you'd expect (not sure about natures). A preschooler would have terrible IVs and not care about EVs, per se. A veteran would have beneficial IVs and EVs. Elite Four effectively has a min-maxed team, if I recall correctly.

Also, is there no way to have disobedient Pokemon in hard mode, just not able to overlevel them?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sorry dude, you're on the bench.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... "We know you're probably going to have to grind a lot, so let's make grinding a lot easier!"

Then why have the level curve what it is in the first place! :psyduck:

At least they're making it somewhat easy on you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bug/ ice I'd guess

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so, plot edginess and meta bullshit aside, I do have to say they at least have some decent mechanical ideas for the game.

I expect the entire plot to rear its ugly as gently caress head soon though, it's been super subdued.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Miss posted:

YOU'RE A MONSTER

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I should put you in the SHAME CUBE for putting Crab Cakes in the SHAME BOX

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm actually... surprisingly chill with Delta Ditto being locked behind postgame.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leraika posted:

Gastrodon pls, ditching Sharpedo for it.

I will continue praying for Gastrodon representation in this, an LP of an edgy pokemon fan game

What's next out of you, demands for Goomy as well?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leraika posted:

Goomy is very good, but Gastrodon is very better :colbert:

Shame on you for not living up to your avatar.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kitfox88 posted:

Name it da share zone

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

azren posted:

Afraid I'm not getting this...

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1061710403170918400

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cardiovorax posted:

I remember when that kind of poo poo used to be funny.

Like, back in 1995 or so.

1:

2:
You just don't get it, do you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Again, I reiterate, there's glimpses of a good game here. Edgelord plot aside, they make what could be a long and stupid "check the library" sidequest and such at least somewhat interesting with stupid joke book titles which helps take some of the edge of the tedium off.

Would I say it's a good game? Nah, it's ok, but you can tell there's some legit effort put in. Unlike Reborn.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoubleNegative posted:

Despite being just as tiny as the past two towns, Sonata City gtes a bit pokecenter because there's a gym here.

hate to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy), minor typo here.

Also, the racing mini-game is a pretty nice addition. Again, broken record, the plot is EDGELORD EXTREME, but I have to give the actual gameplay elements some kudos.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Precious child

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Robindaybird posted:

now I wonder if Delta Snorlax is based on Sloths - who have algae and moss growing on them due to how slow they are.

You know, now that you mention it, you're probably right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Surf part was honestly kind of adorable and very Pokemon-like. Poor guy really wanted that moment and we, accidentally, ruined it for him.

The WAKE UP MAREEPLE joke was fun because the game gave it proper context, alone it would've been cringey but the roommate pointing out how annoying he is made it hilarious.

It's obvious the person behind this game has an idea of comedic timing, as well as proper Pokemon feel. That doesn't make the edgy parts any less edgy, but they can have proper humour and contain the edge in the story. And hey, it works, I laughed and I want to hug Surf guy and ask him to tell me all about how cool Surf is.

It's why it's not a bad game compared to the trainwreck that is Reborn et al., if you ask me. It's at least trying to be funny between the edgy parts, instead of ALL EDGE ALL THE TIME like Reborn.

I worry that the edgelord plot will rear its ugly head poorly, but for now I'm content to say it's not bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Miss posted:

and here's the lil fella, since I missed him earlier

Dem ears

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Couple things here:

1. Does the easy mode fight dispense of the balloons?
2. The balloons themselves are annoying, but when you have a gym that is entirely week to such things, it makes sense to have it. There's still other ways to win, unlike Reborn which completely takes away any potential advantage.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Draxion posted:

It's a minor thing but this is the first mention made in this game that a master ball is a thing people have made more than one of, which I appreciate.

My only issue is it implies that a Master Ball failed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Draxion posted:

Yeah, though that's not implausible. A dragon lasering it out of your hands before you threw it would mean it failed.

GoldGeno posted:

I mean, there was an episode in the Hoenn arc of the anime where some fisherman tried to use a Master Ball on a giant Wishcash and it literally just ate the thing and went back into the water. No amount of "captures without fail" can stand in the way of just not letting the thing trigger in the first place.

Both good points

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay Taen is my favourite character now. Making fun of the Darkrai cult and then pointing out how using a Master Ball to get a legendary is common sense is amazing, especially with how chill he was saying it. Common sense, come on. Amazing.

I'm guessing next fight he'll have Mega Charizard X, armoured Zekrom and White Kyurem though, so that probably won't be fun. Or will be fun, I dunno, it sounds like an interesting fight. Earthquake should help.

"I'm going to ask NICELY for you to help me take over the world" vs "We have a well established method of capturing these creatures, why aren't we using it?"

That's another thing I have to give Insurgence credit for, the villains are evil, sure, but they're also different compared to each other. Different motivations, natch, but also have different methods. I'm guessing Reborn and Uranium broke me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Assuming the Poke Dollar is similar to the Japanese Yen, in that it's roughly 1 USD = 100 Yen (ok, not really anymore), you can come out with 20 grand if you play your cards right in USUM (likely same with SuMo but you also don't have Rainbow Rocket). Tack on 200 from chucking Pyukumuku once a day, you could make a pretty penny.

Who knows though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Squirtle! Always Squirtle

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dragonatrix posted:

I gotta admit, as bad as Nora has been lately I did like her being confused by how the Infernal Cult's plan for getting Groudon wasn't edgy.

Always make sure that the linchpin of your plans is set before even attempting to start your plans!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where is this from again?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Geostomp posted:

I’m amazed that there was a way to make Magcargo even less useful.

I’m not used to this level of competence in Pokémon related evil.

I think the big thing here is "well, these guys were idiots, then these guys were slightly less idiots, ..." etc. So you start with the incompetent idiots and move your way up!

Which isn't a bad idea, to be honest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Actually, we accomplished our plans in advance because we took advantage of the fact that you'd be distracted by the other four evil teams in the game." would also have worked as a good explanation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see that for the last evil group.

I do take issue with the groups self-identifying as "cults" but that's semantics.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zereth posted:

If you can, eventually, catch the combined dragon, you have to name it Namehere.

:bisonyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thundersword238 posted:

Ok, now I pretty much HAVE to vote for NATHAN TYPHLOSION

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

megane posted:

You should name it Mary Sue

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kikas posted:

Name it Rhydon

Changing vote to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Incoming mini-rant:

It's interesting comparing and contrasting Reborn and Insurgence. I'm not going to get into the plots into much detail, apart from Insurgence actually gives your player agency. Also the fact that the writers know how to smile and tell a joke to balance out the edge (and apparently the non-edgy version is pretty decent). I digress.

No, I'm going to go into battle mechanics. DoubleNegative is playing on "normal" mode, which is hard, but not "gently caress you" hard apart from a few battles, usually gym leaders or cult leaders. You know, the ones you expect to be hard. But it's hard in a way that's "balanced". You're not restricted with what Pokemon you can and can't use beyond what you'd expect in a Pokemon game. The teams are min/maxed in a competitive sense, but you can handle them as DoubleNegative is showing by spamming super-effective moves. Or you know, what you do in every other Pokemon game in the main story :v:. It also gives you means to set your team up in a min/max fashion easily. So it's hard, but it also tries to reduce the grind as well. And again, if you want, you can play on an easier version. So it's catering to those who A. just want to play a darker game, B. those who want a darker game and a challenge, and C. those who love Dark Souls. So from a gameplay perspective, it's pretty solid, in my opinion.

Reborn restricts what mons you can use, or if lets you one that could potentially use a useful move, locks moves that would help via TM beyond where it would be useful or makes going over the level cap disabiling your mons. The additional field types almost always are designed to buff the NPC's mons, making it harder to fight them. It doesn't help you at all. It's for masochists. Sorry OFS.