Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm glad we could follow up that Hiker and his family being murdered with a good-natured Rival battle.

Nothing jarring about that tonal shift at all.

Xelkelvos posted:

Delta Misdreavus doesn't look great, but the typing demands it be nicknamed Cirno or (9)

It's the best looking one of those three. Especially next to that Wooper line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, right, I forgot Delta Emolga was in that update.

I'm all for changing up the designs, but that barely resembles the original Pokemon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It took me a minute of looking at that thing's sprites to figure out what it even was supposed to be.

Anyway, why are there so many evil Teams..I mean, Cults? We're seven badges deep and still getting introduced to more factions. That leaves very little development for any of them and almost no coherent plot between all of this. Just a heaping helping of EDGE when they enter the room.

Seeing as we already have a Final Fantasy minigame, when are we getting introduced to the Cult of Kefka?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leraika posted:

pls stop bullying cake crab, haven't you done enough???

:yeah:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Miss posted:

that's clearly the best pals box

This is good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EatinCake posted:

"Rectreem"

Every day, we stray father from God's light.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:catstare:

This kind of heresy is the reason that Legendaries run away from us.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh good, I was in the mood for some new nightmares.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Didn't Lysandre get killed by Zygarde in the anime?

In hindsight, Lysandre dies in, like, every Pokemon medium.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

what the poo poo

Mega Rayquaza as a story mode battle?!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nora did everything wrong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

It's almost certainly just Arceus.

I thought everyone was just joking.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

People are still upset about that episode, eight years later.

To be fair, it's pretty terrible writing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

It kind of cemented the idea that Ash is never going to actually win a Championship outside of filler arcs.

To be honest, I find Ash losing to Richie or even Ash losing to Alain (despite all of the build-up that seemed to imply he would win) to be fine enough. In the former case, he was a terrible trainer in Kanto to the point of begging for half of his badges and getting them for not even winning Gym Matches, not to mention doing stuff like using Krabby in a Pokemon League match without ever having used it before. In the latter case, he at least was 5:6 at the last second against a guy who was shown to be very strong on multiple occasions, so it was at least close.

Sinnoh was basically just "Oh, Ash is winning. Here's a guy with (presumably) six Legendaries who shows up in the tournament just to beat him." Why would you even care about participating in a tournament where you can effortlessly sweep everyone with one Pokemon?! :argh:

Black Robe posted:

Nobody ever watched the Pokemon anime for the quality of its writing.

Fair enough.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

His loss to Tobias is more like he gets cocky and brings his B-team to this nobody and gets destroyed for it

As I recall, he was fairly well-prepared against Tobias and started with Heracross whom he taught Sleep Talk purely so he could hit Darkrai with Megahorn after it attempted Dark Void.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 30, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vandar posted:

I’m not going to pretend that Kanto-Ash was a great trainer, but he didn’t really beg for any of his badges.

Okay, but what about when Blaine's Gym was about to be destroyed by a volcano and he asks if Blaine will give him a badge after he helps him prevent it from being submerged in lava?

Epicmissingno posted:

Can we all agree, at least, that Gen 5 Ash is an utter embarrassment? He lost to a newly-picked Snivy of all things in the very first episode, and his League showing was just pitiful. He lost to a guy who didn't even know you were supposed to bring six Pokemon, for heaven's sake!

Quick, someone post the Elesa screencaps.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Reminds me of a goobbue.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why did he call the boss a "he" when it's a female Axew?

Teach Noel Moonblast! :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure where the Tidal Bell came from, but I will at least say that it would've made more sense for the Tidal Bell to be hidden somewhere else and not under the fake Blue Orb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Draxion posted:

I think her plan is meant to be that she learned the Blue Orb and Tidal Bell would be kept together at some point in the future, so she stole and replaced the one that she had a location for at the time? I guess if she just stole the Orb and didn't replace it then people would put more effort into hiding the Bell.

That makes more sense, but doesn't explain why that guy didn't know the Tidal Bell was there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Noel nooo :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

: Of course you aren't. You'll want to battle. But here's the thing...

: Why would I? Beating me won't change a thing. You walked right into a trap.

This is actually a good point. Why are we having this battle again? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

While this is annoying I have to compare it to a scene in pokemon glazed where the boss is trying to capture moltress you beat them so they turn and capture moltress anyway.

That sounds kind of funny. Reminds me of the end of Battle Network 6 (protagonist elementary schooler goes the entire series using his AI MegaMan to beat the villains' AI, only for the Team Rocket gang of the last game in the series to realize that they're adults who could just beat the poo poo out of him).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Verant posted:

Well, Ho-oh doesn't strike me as a Pokemon that would jive well with the infernal aesthetic, since its focus seems to be more on rebirth and fire as a bringer of warmth rather than, y'know, hell. I'd say Giratina and Heatran would fit that mold better.

It's really hard to make the power of resurrection evil unless it's tied to zombification.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that was Lysandre's goal in X. Ho-oh struck me more as selectively reviving entities after they died.

I guess it's kind of similar, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why is that Girafarig attached to a Chain Chomp?

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Oh wow. I may have figured out Amy's deal. But it's more :tinfoil: than actual guesses since this wacky game is way better to experience than to theorycraft. Also, sick choice of combee names.

I'm assuming she's the first Augur. Somehow.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 9, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aw come on, I think you're being too harsh on N

DoubleNegative posted:

: What I said was awful. I just hope that he won't snap and betray us.

Okay, I'm starting to dislike her quite a bit, too.

Also, Latias is cute, I guess. There's not much lore to the duo, so I don't really care about them aside from that. :shrug:

:psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 12, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, humans turning into Pokemon thanks to the ungodly power of science is a thing that was established within the series in the very first game(s)!

Also Poliwrath.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked Red and Mewtwo vs. Giovanni and Deoxys, so I'd be okay with that. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I say Poliwrath, but rename it to Bradley.

Do this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also that time Ghetsis tries to kill the player in Black 2/White 2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

the Hiker and his family weren’t buried.

But Jaern went and immediately saved them following that anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

E: was that ^ a Rainbow Rocket reveal or

I'm assuming that it was tied to the "Anabel is a Faller" thing. As well as the Looker that as in ORAS that never got expanded upon.

USUM completely cut out that sidequest and just had Team Rainbow Rocket as a bunch of AU evil team leaders that "succeeded" in their goals, only to have something bad happen to them (aside from Ghetsis, apparently) before they appeared with Giovanni.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

USUM's whole ultra-space diving thing for legendaries gives you a bunch of creepy areas that are implied to be destroyed versions of regions, too. In particular, you find Guzzlord in a creepypasta mirror of one of the Alola towns.

Oh. I never bothered with Ultra Space given that I already had all of the Pokemon by the time USUM came out. :v:

KataraniSword posted:

"woah hey pokemon actually die and you might have killed Gary's rattata"

:argh:

I'm just going to copy-paste a YouTube comment I made a good while back.

quote:

I really hate that theory, because it's needlessly edgy. Pokémon Red/Green/Blue is not this grimdark world where you go around offing people's Pokémon like it's a Nuzlocke.

As he says during his Championship match, "While working on my Pokédex, I looked all over for Pokémon. Not only that, I assembled teams that would beat any Pokémon type." He keeps Pidgeot, which is Normal/Flying. Being a Normal-type, it already covers the same stuff Raticate does with the added benefit of an extra typing and evolving once more, so he retires the latter to his box. Or maybe he released it.

Then there's the fact that in later games in the series, Blue uses multiple Pokémon. His Gym Leader team doesn't have his Starter like his Champion Team did. He also replaces Pidgeot and Rhydon with Heracross and Tyranitar in FR/LG. Switching out team members is just what Blue does.

And in case that's not enough, the dialogue surrounding Lavender Town's encounter isn't even hostile as if the player killed his Pokémon.

"Hey, <player>! What brings you here? Your Pokémon don't look dead! I can at least make them faint! Let's go, pal!"

"What? You stinker!" I took it easy on you too!"

"How's your Pokédex coming, pal? I just caught a Cubone! I can't find the grown-up Marowak yet! I doubt there are any left! Well I better get going! I've got a lot to accomplish, pal! Smell ya later!"

As a note, he doesn't have that Marowak on any of his teams either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

There is nothing to imply this beyond Anabelle vaguely recalling defending the battle tower. You know the thing easily construed as her job?

Doesn't she battle using the Gen III music, too?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of fusing Pokemon with humans, ReBurst!

DoubleNegative posted:

I want to apologize, because I didn't do my research properly. It turns out that Bradley the Poliwrath will not be as helpful as I'd have hoped. In fact, she'll be somewhat useless given the pokemon she was meant to counter has Thunder in its move set just to dick over the strategy I'd hoped to employ. :mad:

Bradley, no. :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Poor Surf Guardian. His is a thankless job. :smith:

Also, the Mareeple guy isn't wrong!

Mareep makes everything better. :3:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 17, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Very good. :)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bayleef at least is the best looking middle stage line of a Grass starter.

Too bad it's the worst Grass-type starter. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

There's been like, the hiker and the person with them

The Hiker and his family survived, though. Jaern was mentioned to have rescued them.