Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
GodDAMN this is a good thread so far. Thanks for showing this game off, I'm also one of those people who's scared off by having to grind. It seems... decent I guess. I'd say it feels like a less edgy Uranium so far, since you tease absolute gamebreakers and stupid difficulty in the coming updates. Delta designs are on point as well, however I am wondering when we will get to some ":stonk: OH GOD ARCEUS WHY" stuff, since it's bound to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

You learn something new every day as in my playthrough I never ran across either of them.

In USUM Surf is (very on topic to the discussion at hand) post-game :v:
Probabl because a Water Bubble Aquaranid with Surf would loving obliterate everything looking at it funny.

Zore posted:

Hey you also had, uh, Abomasnow, Gengar, Aerodactyl and Ampharos :eng101:

And seriously, who needs any other megas than my glam boy Mega-Ampharos.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Plus, Rejuvination (or however you spell that) is much worse.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You should use a Krabby and name it Mr Krabs cause the bad claw boy doesn't see much use these days.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Changing my vote for the Crab Cake.

But You name him Mr. Karbs :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Scintilla posted:

I notice DoubleNegative isn't posting music links, so here's the gym leader theme. It's on Polsy, so no need to worry about accidental spoilers. I kind of like the theme, it's got a sort of creeping intensity to it that builds the tension nicely.

This is basically a remix of the Champion's theme for GSC.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Phew, Delta Misdreavus turns out not terrible. I was worried best ghost was gonna get some stupid thing happen to it, but glad I was wrong.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That's a loving AMAZING Delta of my second favourite Pokemon. Shame about the movesets tho. No Psychic? REALLY?

The Gym leader living here is a neat touch. Again, this update makes the game seem pretty nice and thought out.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then! First off, I don't know how common this is for fan-games, but the performance is godawful. Luckily, it comes with built-in turbo and automatic run toggle, or it would just be intolerable.

Oh yes, this is VERY common.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

It's weird the villains are so nice and giving us goodies. Surely this will not go poorly for us?

Wasn't Colress also a "nice" villain?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

The big difference between Mega Ray in Insurgence and Ultra Necro in USUM is that the latter is basically a plot "finishing" boss. After you beat it, literally all you have left before the credits is the Elite 4, so you have almost* all of Alola to build a team from and even grinding is a potential option. In Insurgence, this is immediately after the third gym, so not only does anything over Lv50 disobey you (an actual real problem in this case, as has been shown), but you have maybe half of the potential you would have otherwise. It's still a million times more generous than Reborn, but your means of overcoming the challenge are significantly stifled.

* Minus the Victory Road replacement mountain and the post-game areas

In UsUm there's also the Gym Leader rematches due to that stupid petal collecting quest, but yeah it's at the end of the game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The puns are good and all, but just like when it was posted in the mainline Pokemon thread, I can't give enough love to Mega Cacturne being Cacturne With A Gun :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
:psyduck: WHAT
HOW MUCH ATTACK? Saying anything that gets hit stays down is an understatement, I'd say if you fight somebody with your anchor shark, you Nuzlocke the opponent :v:

Also I still hate that the one guy asks for a "pseudo-legendary" :argh: You've almost had a good thing going for one update Insurgence, why gently caress this up.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That's not a a particularly tanky Lugia, no healing moves. The hard mode one has Roost, but I think you can get a Lugia with Recover in GSC, now THAT'S a pain to catch.
Also why the hell is that Delta Serviper holding a Damp Rock if it doesn't have Rain Dance? It only extends the duration if the user holds it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holy gently caress Damian :stonk:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I just imagine this as a Venom/Carnage type deal, suddenly youre infused with something but after the initial shock you discover that it starts talking to you and pushes your mind closer and closer to a very directed insanity.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Heh, the scientist names feel thematically appropriate, at least for a Pokemon game. These are kid of in-your-face gag, but then again it's all concentrated in one place.
Unlinke Uranium, which named it's main antagonist Curie.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Pokemon Conquest had Pokemon in armour I think. Or was it just humans in Pokemon-themed armor...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Of course, this is the same game that establishes that they go to a tropical paradise with playgrounds and spas when not in your party, so it kind of takes the sting out of it.

The again, one part of the tropical paradise is literally "into the mine you go little children". Which makes me giggle every time I send a bunch in, that animation and the sound just make it seem like I've sent them to a prison mine, the whole concept is so absurd its hillarous.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well a lot of them are real words anyway v:v:v

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hit the grass, take Bulbasaur!
Name him Duffy.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Zorua, Zeraora, Zoroark, what is it with Gamefreak and those names, anyway? Do they just really likes Zs or is this some kind of Japanese pun I'm not getting?

Well, "Z" is the least common letter in English and still pretty rare in Japanese, which makes these seem unique. It adds to the legendary status, it's also why English alien planets have names like Zobrax or Wyxzyw and whatnot, makes it seem more alien.

...not for me tho, in Polish "Z" is worth one point in Scrabble :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

kw0134 posted:

What am I even looking at here? Is this an inkblot test?

It's the silhouette of a Darkarai I guess. It does look like an inkblot.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I love the "Namehere" Joke, also Mega Typhlosion looks fine enough to me, it's definitely not the dumbest looking Delta or Mega in this game.

The main problem with him is that he's a one trick pony. Typhlosion just does not have Special Coverage moves and Insurgence did not give it to him. You can breed Extrasensory onto him but... yeah.

I find it kinda funny that both Mega Tryphlosion and that Salamence have almost the exact same faces :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Kanto is the most easily conquered region on all of Poké-Earth.

Well none of the Legendaries there were particularly concerned with the state of the region, unlike literally everywhere else. So yeah, in Pokemon terms, it's like everyone around had nukes and Kanto doesn't.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I like it, but I hate when fangames, especially Pokemon ones, try to write in canon characters to the plot. Like why Steven and Red? Why have them as the ceterpiece of your story they've already had their games.
Hey this story is getting really interesting. Obviously, Nora dropping the "I will totally not turn evil" at the end is kinda hamfisted and weak, but other then that, this is not out of place for what the last games have been doing with the Tapus choosing the protagonists of SuMo. Actually, Nora's hint is almost something Lysandre could say so overall this all seems... fine?

However that loving Star Wars reference is loving dumb, yo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Name it Rhydon

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

To clarify. Mew was called the First pokemon in generation 1, Bulbasaur is the first pokemon in the pokedex. Rhydon was the first pokemon created for the games. And Arceus supposedly created the universe and thus all pokemon.

Additionally, Rhydon is the first Pokemon on the internal Pokemon list in RBY, and was the first coded into the game, giving it the most claim for the title of First Pokemon.

Miss posted:

there is only one answer

YESSSSSS

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Goodra didn’t take much damage from Thunderbolt because it’s pure Dragon type, which resists Electric.

What the heck? I never noticed in all of my Pokemon playing years that this was something that's a think :psyduck:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Read the last 2 updates in one sitting and drat. Despite the difficulty (which can be amended with easy mode) I still find it hard to actively dislike this game. The amount of what it does right vs what it does wrong is spot on for a Pokemon game, since all of them have some stupid parts, but none of them have all these QoL stuff this has.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Explopyro posted:

There's a really weird mix of design sensibilities here. Which is far from unusual, but still.

I can't remember if it's been mentioned before, but the Shiny Ball is an absolutely brilliant idea (it would be better if they were more readily available, but still). There are few things more frustrating than encountering a shiny and failing to catch it for whatever reason (accidental KO, running away, using Selfdestruct, etc) and this is a very good way to give players a way around that without interfering with game mechanics anywhere else. This is a very good QoL idea and I'm surprised I haven't seen it in more fangames, honestly.

Then we have the game allowing trainers' pokemon to spawn shiny, which is just a slap in the face, and runs exactly contrary to that. I can easily see how this could happen unintentionally, too - it might be as simple as just using common subroutines to spawn pokemon for both wild and trainer encounters. But it's such a feel-bad moment when it happens that developers really should go out of their way to prevent it (and the official pokemon games do; the only times trainers have shiny pokemon in official games is in fixed encounters, and there aren't even many of those).

It just strikes me as a bit odd they'd go out of their way to remove feel-bad moments in one way but not another. Still, to a certain degree I'm picking at nits.

In Gen III, Wally's first Ralts, in the catching tutorial, can be Shiny. And you can never see another shiny past that.

But yeah, the Shiny Ball is a loving awesome idea.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I love how common the theme of one-upping everyone is in Insurgence.
Pesephone one-upped by her sister.
Nora one-upped by Damien, even though he's in some tough poo poo.
Amy one-upping the Perfection Cult scientist once and again and again and again.

Just people clowning on eachother, I love this.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Eh, even if it is a creator, doesn't it make sense that he would have his reality-altering (or something) tools hidden?

I'm a bit sad at how dry this whole segment is. Cmon Adam, you haven't seen your daughter for a whole year, and that's after she's been kidnapped, tortured and almost mind-wiped. In that time she did not only not die, but she almost by accident finished up your legacy. Show a bit of a heart here, show a bit of pride! It's double bad since so far, Insurgence has been exceptionally good at recognizing our accomplishments, even better than the real games at points. I know that the cutscene is 10 minutes long and whatnot, but Adam being proud as heck should have been the centerpiece of the conversation right after the reveal.
Amy's underappreaciated by her own dad, it's just :smith:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Honestly the thing about Victory Road I most take offense to is the trainers' names. When I saw the second section started with a trainer named 'Jotun' I thought each area would have trainers named after a different mythology, but nope. It's just a random hodge podge of Norse, Greek, Roman, Indian, and Christian mythology (and probably some others I didn't immediately catch).

Yeah that's what i thought too, that they'll separate the religion with a region, but no. Overall this is one of the low points of the LP so far. Even if the negativity didn't get to me as much, it does a bad job of being an interesting warup before the final challenge.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh, that was neat. Although poo poo son, you'd better come STRAPPED with Chekov's Guns, those are some mean mons in this E4.
Gotta say the custom sprites are not as bad as the first ones.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Is Virulence another... Steel/Poison?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
holy poo poo these Deltas are so good from a design standpoint. I am in awe of the spritework on all of the desert ones, even if the Tangela is a simple recolor it's one done well. That Lopunny has some mad effort put into it :drat:

...someone was jerkin' to it, weren't they

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

megane posted:

I see that the Delta Dratini line still suddenly changes from a cool mystical serpent into a dopey birthday party dragon.

So just like
the regular Dratini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Miss posted:

yeah that's why the would "still" is in there, I guess

greatest evo line ever

Aw my mistake.