Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Is this "real animal metagame" conversation a good time to plug TierZoo? Cause you need to check out TierZoo.

More on topic,

Haifisch posted:

Plus there are ways to talk about this stuff in-game without making it so blatant. Like how the official games vaguely refer to IVs as "potential" and EVs as "effort".

Fangames could make it less vague while still making sound like something people would say in-universe, and it'd come off a lot better. Just straight-up saying IVs/EVs/etc comes off as lazy.

This. I feel like there's a happy medium between outright talking about IV/EV, and pretending they don't exist. A fangame being a fangame does have a little more wriggle room, but having some random NPC in one of the first towns start talking about this stuff feels awkward and stilted.

Actually, would it be particularly hard to edit the files so IVs read as Potential and EVs as Effort? Not the smoothest way to do it, but it'd at least be a step towards flow and internal consistency. At least then some NPC talking about a pokemon's Potential for growth would seem more natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

I coulda sworn Poison decreases the afflicted Pokemon's defense... or was that changed?

Venom Drench lowers a pokemon's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by one stage if the pokemon in question is Poisoned, but that was introduced in Gen 6 and Poison has had no passive power beyond just doing damage. I think the intended trade off between that and Burn is that Poison is more common and reliable to trigger, and you have Toxic to work with. Whereas Burn was at most a 30% chance to land until Will-o-Wisp came along, which doesn't do damage.

Sand Muk is pretty cool. Those eyeless faces are a bit uncanny though. The idea of having a dying pokemon in its mouth is a little much, but they at least do something creative with its ability? Also if the Muk is shiny, then so is the dying pokemon which is a nice but morbid touch.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm stunned at how well that whole sequence was. The moment you see the statue, you know what's coming up. And the actual Pidgey design is really nice looking.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Can it actually capitalise on turning things mono-rock type or does it not learn anything SE against Rock?

Dunno about movepool, but at the very least it eliminates STAB on the opponent. And unlike regular Pidgey, Cockatrice Flavor doesn't take SE damage from Rock type moves so changing STAB is a decent trade. Its not the most amazing move, but its charmingly thematic and I'm sure there's some shenanigans to be done with it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Use all the Delta pokemon, but especially use Delta Budew. It's not a fantastic design, but I'm a sucker for the gothic night queen aesthetic. And that fan, too.

Nora does not have a great track record, and this update continues this trend.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

She's that weird sort of competent where she's only competent because the thing she was working around was kinda stupid. Like, maybe if she instead said she had a cult member working at the museum security and they told her where the Bell was? Eh, still better writing than Reborn.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

There was a movie where Latias could transform into a human form, and kissed Ash. So, I dunno, that might have something to do with it.

Also they're psychic dragon jet planes, which might also have something to do with it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I mean this might be blasphemy to some, but the original bird trio kinda suck. Like, they're just really big birds who happen to be stronger than the average really big bird. Zapdos is cool, but Moltres has weird body proportions and Articuno is just there. Granted, each one is based on a cool bird from mythology, but I've never felt they really lived up to those origins. Compared to stuff like Gen 5's being centerpieces of a region's culture, Gen 6's being a personified cycle of life and death used to power various doomsday weapons, and Gen 7's being dimension-hoping space monsters, having three big birds feels really bland. Its not really a hindsight thing either, even as an eight year old kid I remember being really underwhelmed with them.

Mew and Mewtwo are pretty cool though!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The sprite work of this game has been mostly pretty good, but the dripping fangs of Delta Luxray just look awkward. And Delta Scraggy is basically Delta Munchlax again, but more bland in execution.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

That's because the official games use them well, and not hamfistedly. I remember someone posting in the Reborn thread that in the games where Absol is found in the wild, they're near where poo poo's gonna go down, like near Mt. Pyre in Gen 3 and on Mt. Coronet in Gen 4. This is not only far more subtlety than most fangame creators possess, it also allows you to catch a pretty good Pokemon as part of the bargain.

That was me. I feel like The Absol Problem kinda sums up a lot of bad hacks and fan projects as a whole. Let's take this subtle thing the original does, and shove it in your face as hard as we can. It's a shame too, because I genuinely really like Absol and the way fans treat it make me kinda not.

Miss posted:

Delta Absol is a fairy-type and portends the opposite of doom (good parties)

I love this and I want one.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Speaking of Team Galacitc, they're the closest the games have to an actual cult. I always imagined the members were sweet talked into joining, with a steep but technically achievable sticker price on stuff like uniforms and Glameows.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

People have mentioned before how Christian-centric the presentation of Arceus as God is. But something that I also find funny about so many fan works trying to make Arceus be A Thing is that, for all intents and purposes, he doesn't give a poo poo in the main game. His original event was never actually released, but it took place where the climax of DPPt did. As in, right above where Cyrus was loving with time/space/reality. Does Arceus step in? Does he mark the main character as his chosen one? Does he personally ask Cynthia to go check on Cyrus? gently caress no! He doesn't care! He could have intervened whenever he wanted. Just look at Rayquaza in Emerald. All he had to do to stop his idiot brothers from fighting was just show up. Arceus is floating right above Cyrus and does nothing but watch. Probably snacking on popcorn.

Arceus births an entirely new universe in HGSS just so you can have a baby legendary. Not really an entity I'd be willing to form a cult around, personally.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

"What the gently caress just happened? Where the gently caress am I? Who the gently caress are you guys? Why the gently caress are you a pumpkin?!?"

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I understand why so many of these are hidden away, given the episodic nature of the game. That said, if they did another game like this made of 100% Delta Pokemon, I wouldn't complain. These are some stunningly good designs, with some good sprite work to back them up. I'm not even saying they need to make more Deltas, I mean just take the nearly 200 they already have and run with those.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah, Shiftry kinda drops the ball at the end, but the other two look pretty good at least.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

FF7 had one too. They're a very stock youkai sort of character, a lot of Japanese fantasy will have one or allude to one in some way.

Still a cool design though! I love the snowflake pattern on her outfit.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

A lot of the art on their website actually matches the official stuff fairly well. Maybe not in design, but at least in terms of proportion, color, and overall style and pose. They're clearly trying very hard with this, I just hope the game is out soon before Nintendo spots it and have to kill it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

My understanding was that much like iron, poison is often a key item in fairy tales. They might use the poison against humans, only to have it turned back on them.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Arceus is just so pudgy, I cant take it seriously. The big, adorable nerd looks like its wearing a Giratina kigurumi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I love that the one completely original pokemon in the game is a literal Alien. I wonder if Space Mew was foreshadowing?