Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Slur it a little and he becomes The John.

Which is perfectly fitting (at least if you know your british slang/robin hood men in tights.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Haifisch posted:

People are bad at knowing what makes things good, basically.

Players are really good at seeing/finding problems in games.
Their suggestions for fixing said problems are usually horrible.

People who want to explore the mature/grim elements to the pokemon world tend to run into problems because their explorations goes over lines that pokemon hasn't crossed, even in Shadow Coliseum. Those same lines tend to be where they become weird as well (Deoxys man this last update, not to mention the whole blood sacrifice to pokemon deities thing.)

That's not to say that they can't cross them in a satisfying manner. There's just not enough preperation/build up to those crossings in the writing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I am sad there is no Snowlax (because late game shenanigans.)

But Leaflax is acceptable second place.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

Any plot point that implies a distrust of vaccination, regardless of the "bad effect" that results, can be construed quite easily (intended or not) as promoting a general distrust of vaccines.
We can occam's razor this further so it encompasses one of the major themes of the game. Namely cults.
What's the largest set of cults still active in today's world? Religion.
The second largest? Government.

The whole basis of Insurgence's (and most cult-based stories') plot is people who have been entrusted with power abusing that trust to further their own goals.

The medical field unfortunately is no exception to this. Despite being one of, if not the most, stringent about upholding the standards and practices that earn them their trust.
There are plenty of stories where medical technology is used for ill which can be construed as promoting a fear of medicine.

That doesn't change that in the majority of those stories where it is abused also show that it is bad to abuse medicine; either by forcing people to abuse it or abusing it themselves.
Speaking of abuse, there's also this thing that's very important to remember:

Explopyro posted:

I'm more than willing to acknowledge that Death of the Author has its downsides and is easily misused, but are you really going to say that it doesn't matter if tropes chosen for other reasons combine to form an unfortunate message?
The problem isn't one of it mattering, the problem is one of assigning blame. Do you blame the author for writing a story with elements that a reader can cherry pick and string together to reinforce a belief the reader has? Or do you blame the reader for cherry picking and reinforcing their beliefs despite the author's intentions?

Stories are a form of communication and even when it's one way, there are at least two entities involved: the sender and the receiver. You can blame the sender for sending an incorrect message, you can blame the receiver for interpreting an incorrect message, and you can blame the medium/path the message takes between the two for how much noise muddles the message as it travels from sender to receiver.

You can assign blame however you like but you cannot ignore that both the author and the audience are responsible for their side of the communication that's happening.

And in this case I would assign more blame to the reader who looks at Insurgence and uses the whole mind control vaccine plot point as further evidence of their anti-vaccination beliefs than I would of the author for putting those elements into Insurgence.
Mostly because it was quickly clear that this was a mind control plot abusing people's fear of the deoxys virus pretty much from the get-go.

Edit:
Also this

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

I've never understood "this is common, thus it isn't cool". That's just elitism.

There's a saturation point where people are going to look at a thing and go 'if there are x many legendary pokemon, why are they legendary if there are x many of them?'

For some it's exclusivity, for others it's rarity and for some it's just language.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

From what was shown of Victory Road the main issue I see is that there's three areas and only two reponse levels of the trainers.

The general theme that I get from all the negativity is one of failure and it's use as a warning, an example and a hurdle.

The first area's pretty standard, they all say you're going to fail and even when you win they don't have any hopes for you.
The second area should have been the third, where they still say you're going to fail and then go 'THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE' as their assumptions are shattered.
The third area is where the cheerleading should have been. Starting out with 'i have no idea how you got this far, but you're not going farther!' and then transitioning to a 'wow you beat me. you're doing it. it might actually happen. rock on it's been ages since we had a real challenger! this'll be sweet! i'm rooting for you!' etc.

Since that last bit is absent, I'm going to go with the 'competative play brings out all the assholes' as what the games actually going for and that is a sentiment I can stand behind :colbert:

Robindaybird posted:

it's a thing, but really shouldn't given how much trash-talking jumps beyond 'I'm gonna beat you so hard your grandkids will feel it' into outright toxic and demeaning poo poo, which is not only much harder to ignore, but is absolutely demeaning and can cause people to quit games completely because who wants to hear that poo poo over and over again.

Because trash talking tries to provoke an emotional response, there's an incredibly fine line between it being a strategy and it being ego padding. There's also the issue where it gets the trash talker emotional and throws them off their own game because of the words they said not having the intended effect of boosting their own moral for whatever reason. Which is why trying to trash talk to vent frustration isn't healthy in the long run.

Polite trash talking is usually pretty good though for a variety of reasons.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You traded the Bulbasaur away.

Even if it was a fair trade.

You still traded the Bulbasaur away.

0/10 :colbert: