Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GirlCalledBob posted:

Still, rather have a game with poo poo art and endearingly bad writing. It kinda adds to the charm.
Pokemon Quartz, anyone?

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Deltas are really neat. That said, there's some clear balancing problems already, not only on how Delta Squirtle is a bad choice but also on a starter having a super-effective move on the first fight, making it that much harder on the player, level advantage or not. Also, Delta Bulbasaur having two sprites while the rest have one looks super weird.

What happens if you choose Eevee? Does Damian get an Eevee too?
I feel like it might have been better to keep at least one type from the original Pokemon, preferably the "main" Fire/Water/Grass type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

value-brand cereal posted:

:3: can we pretty please get a Ghastly and or Meowth? We need the spookiest spookadoodle pokemon for this month.
Our starter is a literal dracolich. How much spookier can you get?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's kind of funny that they use magic to teleport the cultists, when there are Pokemon who could be used to do the same thing. Just have him pull out an Alakazam or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Oh God, the edge.
At this point, it looks more like a cast-off cocoon or shed bug skin than a skeletal monster.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Robindaybird posted:

for me it doesn't read like a fighting type, nor a steel type outside of the weirdly placed spikes. If I were to guess it's typing base on other pokemon designs, it'd be Dark.

Generally Pokemon design is very good at telling you what the primary typing is right off the bat thanks to either coloration (bright yellows tend to indicate electric, and pre-XY, pink or white for normal), or design shorthands (lightning bolt horn for the non-yellow Blitzle), Lucario manages to convey fighting by it's stance, but nothing else says 'steel'.
I can see it as a fighting type, because it's bipedal and sleek and sort of in a martial arts stance IIRC. You're definitely right that if I had to pick a secondary type for it based solely upon its visual design it would be Dark, not Steel, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DoubleNegative posted:

It hurts, and Dracolich can't damage race it. But Twister has that flinch chance...

You appear to have the same screenshot twice here. Is this intentional?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, it made such a big deal about him talking to a rock and the game went even let you join him? Wheres the fun in that?
Pokemon protagonists are silent, so everyone who talks to Amy is doing basically the same thing as Orion already.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Snipee posted:

Hard mode seems especially ridiculous because this is the first gym. It’s one thing if the third or fourth gym suddenly smacks your team down, but it’s something else altogether when the very first serious challenge that you see crushes you. I mean, the fact that your team has to be level 20+ for it is already excessive for more casual players. I don’t want to have to evolve my starter just to face the first gym leader.
Hard mode on Insurgence is still better than the only difficulty Reborn has. There's less grinding for the first Gym (because the game won't let you go above level 20 without a badge), but the first Gym Leader has a full team of 6 Pokemon, their general level of optimization is about equal to Insurgence's Hard mode, and you have to deal with a terrain effect that favors your opponent unless you have the move that disables it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This is what happens when you try to make a good game and not a giant middle finger extended to everyone playing your dumpster fire.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Balache404 posted:

Huh. I assumed the rock would be a Jirachi, since (if i'm not misremembering) it's also associated with a white rock, though a significantly more generic one than what Reshiram turned into.
And here I figured it would give you a Triple Tech, and you had to go through a sidequest to get Orion to give it to you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ouch. Take your time. Fortunately you didn't lose anything important.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Geostomp posted:

It took me a minute of looking at that thing's sprites to figure out what it even was supposed to be.

Anyway, why are there so many evil Teams..I mean, Cults? We're seven badges deep and still getting introduced to more factions. That leaves very little development for any of them and almost no coherent plot between all of this. Just a heaping helping of EDGE when they enter the room.
Are we? I count two: Suntouched City and its Sun themed gym and Vipik City and its Forest themed gym. Are you certain you're not confusing it with Reborn, which is about 7 badges deep at this point and still not even halfway done with the plot?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

"Smogon" is quite simply what Koffing is called in the German translation and I still can't figure out nearly twenty years later how it became the rallying call of the very word of the ultracompetitive turbo-loser types.
Because they know on some level that they're toxic and full of hot air?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vandar posted:

I played Pokémon Zero up until Cerulean City last night. It’s quite good! Having early move tutors and a wider spread of Pokémon makes the game feel quite fresh again.

Going through Mount Moon with a Jigglypuff running Incinerate/Water Gun/Echoed Voice was quite fun!

The third versions are already becoming a thing of the last. Gen V and Gen VI both skipped them. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon brought them back, but it makes me wonder if they’re going to continue skipping them in the future or not.

...who would you base a third Let’s Go game around? Let’s Go Meowth, maybe?
If we're counting Ultra Sun/Moon, then we have to count Black/White 2. So far, Gen 6 is the only one to not have a third version.

Let's Go are technically remakes, which usually don't get a third version.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FoolyCharged posted:

So, uh, just to be sure, we had never seen or heard of this gym leader before this update, right? Just, "hi! This is gym leader number 3! He's dead now."
There were a couple of mentions of the third gym leader being sky themed and I think his name was mentioned, but this is definitely the first time we've seen him.

Also, just be glad his death doesn't invalidate his gym badge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epicmissingno posted:

It's only traded Pokemon, thankfully. This isn't Reborn levels of draconian level caps.
I thought so. Electabuzz was gotten from an in-game trade, right?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

To Kill a Chatot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the Seaking

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought you were being a bit too hard on Nora before, but after this update... wow.

DoubleNegative posted:

: I was the Prophet of Arceus and the Oracle of Delphox.
Looks like the puns aren't confined to just the books here.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

The Oracle specifically addressed her because she asked how to avoid it.

The "traitor" is obviously going to be Amy, and odds are good that it's not going to be a real betrayal but something that gets interpreted as one due to ~wacky misunderstandings~. That probably only happens now because of the Oracle stating that it's a betrayal, even..
The self-fulfilling prophecy is quite a common trope in fiction.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The library was fun and I enjoyed all the puns I understood, but...if the Abandoned Wing is closed, how the hell did those Trainers even get there?
I mean, the guy who let us in seemed like he didn't care too much about keeping people out; he probably just let them in, too. In fact, it might just be that wing is abandoned because some wild Ghost Pokemon moved in and they don't let you in anymore unless you have a Pokemon with you for self-defense.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ChrisBTY posted:

I assume the reason Nora knows about Damien's mother-in-law was they were shooting the poo poo while Amy was offscreen and Damien told her.
Aren't they from the same town, and the same Trainer school? If any of the other kids have ever seen Stepmom drop Damien off to school and/or show up for Parent/Teacher Night while telling him he's a useless lump that will never amount to anything, that poo poo would be all over the school the next day.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Reminds me of a goobbue.

What game is this thing from?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is the Infernal Cult actually Hell-based, or is it just fire, though? Remember, these guys are basically just Team Magma with the serial numbers filed off. "Infernal" as a reference to fire actually makes more sense than if it were straight-up Hell. You could give them the angle that they're trying to give the region a purification/"rebirth" by fire as their raison d'etre.

What Pokemon would you even give a Hell-themed evil team? I guess there's always the standby of treating Dark types and Giratina/Darkrai as evil, but there aren't any Satanic Pokemon as far as I know.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PetraCore posted:

It's decent. It looks like it'd be fun to play, although I'd probably wanna do the less edgy plotline.
I thought someone mentioned that non-edgy mode removes the Delta Pokemon or something and that seems to be the big draw of Insurgence? I'd definitely play on Easy, though, because I'm a Pokemon scrub who can't handle tuning a competitive-viable team.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is that Girafarig attached to a Chain Chomp?

I'm assuming she's the first Augur. Somehow.
Or possibly his/her daughter.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been using the Android app (just called Awful) on my tablet, and it's decent at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black Robe posted:

I started giggling over that godawful Mega Zebstrika and didn't really stop, so the whole 'injecting someone with Pokerus will turn them into a mutant Deoxys-monster who kidnaps children' thing didn't really bother me as much as it probably should have done. But I think as soon as people discovered a magic virus that makes Pokemon stronger they would immediately have started human trials long before any of this.

I'm enjoying Reukra's reaction, though. "Eh, I promised he'd be healthy and maybe longer lived, and he is. Species and sanity weren't part of the deal."

Also, no strong opinion but Poliwrath looks slightly better than Politoed so that one I guess.
The line "the virus doesn't work on humans" seems to imply that people did try injecting it into humans, and they proved immune for whatever reason. It only worked on this guy because his DNA had apparently been altered by a Pokemon. Deoxys is apparently a retrovirus.

Also no strong preference on Poliwogs, so I'm gonna vote Politoed just to be contrary.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SirSamVimes posted:

You know something I appreciate about this game? The dialogue for random trainers feels like it could have been in an actual Pokemon game.
Yeah, aside from the completely bonkers level curve, non-edgelord mode could have been an official Pokemon game, from what I've heard.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saladin Rising posted:

I like that I can actually follow Insurgence's plot fairly well and recognize most of the main characters and story points. The quality of said plot is up for debate, but hell it's not like the mainline Pokemon games have flawless plots either.
I like that this is what our collective expectations have been reduced to. Not, "I like this plot". Just "I like that I know what's going on".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm no Poke historian, but I think that's the "justification" for Mega Evolution appearing in ORAS?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Miss posted:

and here's the lil fella, since I missed him earlier

:five:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black Robe posted:

Because deep ocean wildlife is awesome and pants-shittingly terrifying and we've got no idea what most of it is and there are still places we haven't explored yet. I'd like to see another game explore that slightly more seriously. (But only slightly because I'm still enjoying the goofiness.).
Doing that in a fangame means allowing a fangame author to design deep-sea Pokemon. And do you really want that?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

To be honest, at this point, I think nobody would even have noticed the "mature and edgy" story if it wasn't part of the thread title. I've seen edgier episodes of Sailor Moon.
I definitely think there would be at least some, "woah you wouldn't see this in an official Pokemon game" but yeah Insurgence is much better at being a Pokemon game than some others. Not mentioning any names, though. Just saying we probably won't be enabling some junkie's drug habit in exchange for his Pokemon in this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

You know, it's entirely possible this is a Man Who Was Thursday scenario where aside from a handful of people at the very top the cult is composed mostly of people who got roped into it one way or another and are trying not to out themselves and die.
Everyone but Audrey is infiltrating the cult for various other organizations and has about as much of an idea of what's going on as Amy does.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

Damian just got grabbed by Grandpa Thing when he escaped. Damian apparently got the Deoxys Flu back in the day and since Grandpa Thing is still actively infected by Pokerus by default, he probably just had to spit at him to make the infection take. Kind of like regular flu.
Since the Deoxys Flu apparently happened like 50 years ago and Damien is about 1/4 that age, it seems likely that he inherited it from his mother, who likely got it from his grandmother. The Pokerus "activator" likely came from Malde, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh yeah, they did say that. What's-her-name is Deoxys-positive herself by way of inheriting the genetic markers from Grandpa Thing.

I keep forgetting when this game actually happens. When are we again, in relation to the latest official game?
I'm not super up on the Pokemon metaplot (I haven't played a Pokemon game since Platinum, myself), but I think the game references events that take place in OR/AS as being 50 years ago? I think the Deoxys Flu is supposed to be referencing Event Deoxys in those games?

Dragonatrix posted:

Audrey said RSE's events were 30 years before the start of this game in her monologue, so that probably helps at least.
Or this.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 22, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

It might just put you on ferry port to ride the rest of the way. I'm not accepting that until I see a car fly. :colbert:
Hell, I'm pretty sure there are ferries (in the real world, even) that will take your car with you, for the right price.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is there a Pokemon based off the clione (sea angel) yet?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kitfox88 posted:

"Don't get too excited, you'll change state!" is a really good line. What a charming update this one was :allears:
Yeah, I genuinely laughed at that one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

For extra science in-jokeyness, they should just mutually annihilate each other the moment an attack actually hits... because space and time are the same drat thing. Goddamn pokescience. :argh:
Well then we end up with X-Men animated series logic where Storm can't hurt Magneto because "electricity and magnetism are the same thing".

Also the fact that Magneto is a word in my tablet's Swype keyboard dictionary is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KataraniSword posted:

A Master Ball will enslave the physical meat shell of the embodiments of Time and Space, not actually Time and Space themselves, in other words.

Torren just thinks the physical meat shells are the only important part of the pokégods.
Might be that they are the only important part to his plans.