Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ace of Aces posted:

Between the insane push and the pokebestiality/gijinka/furry fandoms all converging on it at once it's easy to get sick of, which is a shame because I really like it.
It's a hard world to be a non-creepy fan of Salazzle in.

EDIT: Actually I'm genuinely surprised it took so many gens for gamefreak to run with a salamander pun using an actual salamander. Heck, they even included the poisonous folklore associations as well as the obvious fire ones!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I adore all three of the S/M starters. It's really hard for me to pick, I've gone with Rowlet one time and Popplio another and if I had a third game it'd probably be Litten.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Entropist posted:

Yeah that screenshot of the other Rayquaza attempt reminded me of my first Ultra Necrozma attempts in which it outsped and sweeped my whole team. I also had to cheese that with Focus Sash and Curse or something.
I cheesed it with curse and going super defensive, although if I really wanted to dunk it I'd have loaded up on Pyukumuku.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

lightrook posted:

Resurrection may not be evil in itself, but a supervillain that abuses it to live forever is a pretty reasonable threat. Pretty much all the early Dragon Ball villains were all trying to wish for immortality, and indefinite resurrection is not that far off. Even from a philosophical standpoint, the act of defying the natural order of the universe by never staying dead feels evil enough to give the player some motivation to stop their plans.
Sure, but that's basically Xerneas.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know the route design in this game is decent. Not revolutionary or anything but for the most part it looks pretty, visually interesting, and straightforward.

That's a lot of what I'm feeling about Insurgence so far. The quality doesn't match up to what Gamefreak has been hitting recently (and part of that is just obviously graphics have way moved on in the actual games, but part of that is the writing, too), but it's like... cute. It's decent. It looks like it'd be fun to play, although I'd probably wanna do the less edgy plotline. Sometimes the quality dips under that level for a spike, but overall I'm enjoying this LP and not as a hateread of the game.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

Because people naturally want more complex/mature storytelling as they get older, and Pokemon's had several decades of fans enjoying it as kids and still enjoying it as adults.

Except a lot of fans are bad at knowing what "mature" really is(see: Insurgence, Reborn, Uranium), don't understand that Pokemon's not built to work with a grimdark setting, don't understand that you don't need grimdark for a story to be enjoyable to adults, and also ignore the ways Pokemon games have subtly started including more elements that older fans can appreciate while still being kid-friendly.

People are bad at knowing what makes things good, basically.
But if they want something darker Pokemon Adventures is right there. It's... it's the thing they want.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression, but half the time, Pokemon Gyms seem to be staffed by older children and maybe led by a teenager. The other half of the time it's someone who looks like a neighbourhood dad taking care of the baseball pitch in his spare time. Adults use pokemon, but actually running around fighting competitively? That's seems to be mostly a kids' thing to me.
I think part of that is that when you're an adult you need like, an actual job and stuff, too. You have better things to do than focus purely on pokemon battling, even if that thing is focusing on, idk, search and rescue using pokemon or doing crime using pokemon. Battling for the sake of battling is a younger person's game, I feel.

EDIT: And then an older person's game once you retire.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, in general, the adults seem to treat them rather more like work animals. Beloved pet-type work animals, but work animals nonetheless.

A bit like Dachshund breeding. Makes sense.
Or just straight-up pets, like Nanu's dozen stray meowth or protagonist mom's meowth in Sun/Moon.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Black Robe posted:

Mega Gothitelle is a step way too far :catstare: I don't like the humanoid pokes anyway, but you could show me that sprite and tell me it was a trainer and I'd believe it.

Dragon ruins sounds like a fun time judging by everyone's reactions.
My favorite thing about Gothitelle is that it looks humanoid but canonically under the 'dress' is the stupidest, stubbiest legs on this grub-like elongated torso. Making the dress more realistically a dress and not a dress-like natural chitin-like covering really makes the design lose a lot of charm, imo. Same with the hair on that mega-gothitelle, I like gothitelle's 'hair' because it's really clearly not?

Basically humanoid pokes are most appealing to me when they're clearly weirdo muppets. I like Gardevoir too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

That reminds me of those finger dolls that used to be popular for a while. You know the type? Long cloth tube for a body, half a stuffed animal as the head.
Yeah!

I don't actually like Gothitelle's design a ton, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to me, but I'm also weirdly charmed by it?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Gonna have to go with Rattrap.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh good, an anti-vax "flu shots are mind control" subplot to remind us that, no matter how many good decisions go into a Pokemon fangame, it remains, by its very nature, poo poo.
I... don't think this was supposed to be actually anti-vax. Just unfortunate, really.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

So when Cresselia came for Diana and Persephone as kids, only Diana was able to escape and Persephone was left behind?
That, uh... that sucks but Persephone also deals with it in exactly the worst ways.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Maybe the true First Augur was inside of you all along, literally.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I actually like the idea of the inverse battle but I think it shouldn't come at the end of a long slog, just to make it easier to change up your team and try new things.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Grand Gigas posted:

I like that Yuki is trans and the game isn’t weird about it.
Agreed! Having it be a thing that's mentioned but not made a big deal of is how to go in a game like Pokemon, I think - for some other game set-ups I might want something more involved but it's not like Pokemon is known for depth of npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh, I like that first Dragonite better! The all black eyes are cute.