Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Why not. At least I know for certain that this can never be as bad as Reborn.

Plus they get automatic bonus points immediately just for the Pokemon-following mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

GeneX posted:

Lmao @ darkrai just running away

“Lady, what the gently caress, I’m getting out of here.”

Seems sensible to me. Darkrai just likes bad dreams, what would he want with literal blood sacrifices? You'd think a woman this obsessed with him would know something about him.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's so cute I want to feed it souls

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nominating Miss for official LP artist :3:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just got the pun that it's a crab cake. :v:

:downsrim:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The rock is the ghost of the rock Raven finally managed to move out of the way in Reborn City.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kitfox88 posted:

Isn't that the one with rattling chains and poo poo?

Nah, rattling-chains dude is Jacob Marley. Christmas Past is a little kid, Christmas Present is basically the Jolly Green Giant, and Christmas Yet To Come is a Dementor.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well... You could say the same about a lot of regular Pokémon, couldn't you?

Yeah, but one of the main driving forces behind making a fangame is usually 'Parts of the existing games suck and I can do better'. Obviously the Deltas are intended to be better than the canon offerings. And they're mostly not.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kitfox88 posted:

How is being railroaded into sitting by the sideline while the bad guys kill people any more ~mature~ than running in and having your cake crab disembowel fuckers?

Maybe it's some kind of statement on adults being cynical/selfish/apathetic/'realistic' and kids still thinking they can change the world -

Wait, wrong edgy fangame again, we keep making that mistake.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Aerdan posted:

Unusable pokémon getting buffed in a fangame seems a little farfetched, doncha think?

:getout:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Miss posted:

that's clearly the best pals box

Electivire is clearly eating the cake crab. Look at Farfetch'd's expression, he can see it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That is not a compelling argument in defence of that pile of dogshit.

That is the exact opposite of a defence of that pile of dogshit.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I am also very much in favour of wizard duck.

Psyshock is only 10 less power than Psychic, power 80 should be plenty good enough unless it has literally crippling stats. The water moves are a shame but there are always tons of water types everywhere and I'm sure there are some TMs you can slap on Dumbleduck here.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ugh, yeah, I always forget that one. Oh well.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

In the interest of not overlooking the bleeding obvious, may I suggest Bonehead.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kikas posted:

Wasn't Colress also a "nice" villain?

I wouldn't really count Colress as a villain at all. He was in theory working for Ghetsis but every time you meet him he helps you out in some small way (removing Crustle for instance) or tells you that you seem interesting and then wanders off. He doesn't actually do anything villainous at all and even when you fight him it feels more like a random trainer battle than someone genuinely trying to oppose you. He just wants to see how you fight, he has no interest in trying to stop you.

e: f, b

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That is obviously a Haunter pretending to be a Stunfisk.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I know we just ignore caves full of molten rock being physically impossible to travel through, but filling the atmosphere with thick clouds of boiling steam as well is maybe a step too far. Nasty way to die.

Echoing the love for Mega Flygon though, that looks awesome.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Haifisch posted:

I know it probably won't happen, but I hope that in a stunningly dumb twist, the player's the one who says "gently caress it" and joins the Infernal Cult.

Was just going to say this. That would be great.

Agatha being one of the first pokeball users actually makes sense - she mentions that she knew Professor Oak when he was young, and we know from the movies that pokeballs were developed during his childhood, so she's (I think) the only canon NPC we know who was of trainer age at the time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, it's pretty terrible writing.

Nobody ever watched the Pokemon anime for the quality of its writing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Snorlax doesn't match the colour scheme :colbert: your team aesthetic is ruined

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

TheKirbs posted:

You have a a tree pokemon with a name that ends in 'ax' and you didn't think of Lorax as a nickname?

:emptyquote:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Patter Song posted:

It's weird that people are calling her competent when her big innovation over Gen 3 seems to be "Flood the world with Kyogre and Lugia" rather than just Kyogre.

Well, she's not stupid enough to argue that it'll help people, at least.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think she sounds competent and clever because she waited until she'd actually completed this part of her plan before telling the whole world about it.

To be fair in the main games the player is expected to go and try and stop it and thus needs to be tipped off early - and preferably more than once to make sure they got the point - but the canon villains do come across as a little :downs:.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm just here for cat pictures :3:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

kw0134 posted:

In a game where a professional has this all planned out, you could make the case that the author is making the character say that precisely because it's wrong. But here, it's a little difficult to give the writer the benefit of the doubt given what we've seen of the overarching plot.

I don't know, all the stupidity we've seen so far seems pretty tongue-in-cheek to me. The whole reason anyone's reacted positively to this so far is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. The villains are all chewing happily on the scenery, I don't think we're expected to believe most of it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I started giggling over that godawful Mega Zebstrika and didn't really stop, so the whole 'injecting someone with Pokerus will turn them into a mutant Deoxys-monster who kidnaps children' thing didn't really bother me as much as it probably should have done. But I think as soon as people discovered a magic virus that makes Pokemon stronger they would immediately have started human trials long before any of this.

I'm enjoying Reukra's reaction, though. "Eh, I promised he'd be healthy and maybe longer lived, and he is. Species and sanity weren't part of the deal."

Also, no strong opinion but Poliwrath looks slightly better than Politoed so that one I guess.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I'm still in the beginnings of reading this LP, but I wanted to know -- Is there a GOOD pokemon fan game?

i downloaded this one because of the deltas (even tho there are 600+ pokemon I need more cute things).. But I haven't gotten past the first gym because of the grinding.

Pokemon Sage's demo is a few hours long and is good. Not sure the full game will ever be finished at this point though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Lyumia posted:

I vaguely recall an episode where a wild Agron tried to attack whatever interchangeable pal Ash brought along, so it's not like Pokemon attacking humans with potentially fatal moves is unprecedented. Though it might be unfair to bing up the manga and anime because they can get away with more.

I mean, if we're talking about the anime, the hundreds upon hundreds of times Ash ordered his pokemon to electrocute and blow up Team Rocket, or the times Pikachu decided to do it on a whim. Or the times Ash is attacked by his own pokemon.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It honestly sounds vaguely familiar, I've definitely heard that story outline before. Which probably means it came up in a Pokemon thread on here, since I don't really go anywhere near the fandom in general. Maybe the Uranium LP?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's entirely possible most humans don't actually age in the Pokeverse. Lysandre was obsessed with, amongst other things, people ageing, but he was crazy. We know Professor Oak aged, we've seen him as a child, but there were time travel shenanigans. The other characters you see at different points in time in the show, or different generations in the games, all look more or less the same; it's not just Ash.

It would also explain all the preschoolers you run into occasionally in dangerous areas with high-level monsters. They've been preschoolers for a very long time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're confusing canons. Time definitely exists in the games, we're outright told that three years passed between RBY and GSC, and then an unclear amount of years pass between that and SM considering Red and Blue have become Jotaro and Kakyoin.

I didn't say time wasn't passing. I said humans don't visibly age.

I was also joking.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Disappointed that Audrey was killed off, the idea that the Hoenn fuckery dragged up some new awesome pants-shittingly terrifying stuff from the deep oceans is actually really cool. Because deep ocean wildlife is awesome and pants-shittingly terrifying and we've got no idea what most of it is and there are still places we haven't explored yet. I'd like to see another game explore that slightly more seriously. (But only slightly because I'm still enjoying the goofiness.)

I think for the big Damian reveal to work he'd have had to be missing for longer than this and we'd need to have been told that Malde's doing stuff offscreen. Last time we saw him he was a gibbering mindless freak, and less than half an hour later he's a sinister slightly alien antagonist who's warped our friend. It's too sudden a jump, too quickly. If we'd seen or heard about him gradually becoming more villain like and had time to worry about what that meant for Damian it would have had more of an impact.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Depends on the fangame author, they're not all terrible.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I had a thought - the stats talk and direct references are pretty annoying, but I think it only seems immersion-breaking because canon deliberately chooses not to do it. It actually makes perfect in-world sense.

Pokedexes have been a thing for decades and the PC system that shows summaries of your pokemon is implied to be in common use worldwide. Various professors constantly make educational TV and radio shows, plus there are countless weird books and Trainer Tips, and in some regions random gadgets that teach you technical things. TMs have descriptions of their specific power etc. Even stuff like IVs and EVs can be detected in-world in a limited way now, plus I'm sure random psychic people who can predict Hidden Power or manipulate a pokemon's memories can see more stat info.

At least some jargon would have made its way into normal use among trainers, possibly among the general public as well.

I still don't like it though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

iospace posted:

Assuming the Poke Dollar is similar to the Japanese Yen, in that it's roughly 1 USD = 100 Yen (ok, not really anymore), you can come out with 20 grand if you play your cards right in USUM (likely same with SuMo but you also don't have Rainbow Rocket). Tack on 200 from chucking Pyukumuku once a day, you could make a pretty penny.

Who knows though.

Haven't finished USUM yet, but when you finish the UB quest with Looker in SuMo's postgame they give you a million pokebux as a reward.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Patter Song posted:

Also, the Legendaries seem closer to sentience than most Pokemon. (Even the supposedly brilliant Alakazam)

Depends how we're defining sentience. All pokemon fully understand human speech. Rotom, Zorua/Zoroark and various ghost types can use human speech (I think a psychic or two has as well at some point). Plenty of pokemon display 'human' emotions, from grief and temper tantrums to developing crushes, and are obviously aware enough to have their own identities. They can even make moral decisions, like AZ's pokemon choosing to leave him after what he did to resurrect it. Aside from the new-style tapus most legendaries seem closer to actual animals - I'm staying here in my den and want you humans to leave me the hell alone.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...why does Bisharp mega evolve into a centaur? That has absolutely nothing to do with its typing, ability or design :psyduck:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kurieg posted:

Because it goes from a pawn, to a Bishop, to a Knight.

Regular bisharp gets the same design change when it Mega Evolves.

Makes sense. Objection withdrawn. Though visually it's still pretty :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Now I really want to see a centaur who's half really buff warrior human and half Shetland pony.