Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Cardiovorax posted:

You can tell that this is mature game with a dark and edgy setting by the fact that lawyers exist in it.

It would be kinda funny to have a terrible spin off Pokemon show in the style of something like judge Judy or Ace Attorney tho

Also Klinkwork Orange. I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Oh my god budew looking like a potato in a dress might just top all the puns in this update, but only if it's listening to another budew from a balcony saying "A roserade by any other name would smell as sweet"

Speaking of, I thought of some more bad puns
A Roserade for Emily
The House of the Seven Gibles
I Heard a Flygon Buzz
The Count of Monte crustle

I'll stop now because my puns were so bad my browser crashed

Edit: what's up with that dudes clothes
Not design wise, tho that certainly is a thing. Like, something is slightly off about it, but idk what

Lyumia fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 29, 2018

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I just realized that the flags at the end of the races are of the Jaern. It's like a kid had 1984 assigned to them and had some fun figuring out how to slap his face everywhere. Next might be Jaern themed bedsheets.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Did you just call him "The Jaern"?

I forgot how to spell augur, so instead of "the augur" I erased it with Jaern so I didn't look stupid. Which obviously didnt pan out anyway, cause I forgot to erase the "the".

Like, this website really sucks to use on mobile

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I vaguely recall an episode where a wild Agron tried to attack whatever interchangeable pal Ash brought along, so it's not like Pokemon attacking humans with potentially fatal moves is unprecedented. Though it might be unfair to bing up the manga and anime because they can get away with more.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Geostomp posted:

Didn't Lysandre try to murder everyone except the other crazy rich people that paid to join his little fashion-challenged cult with a giant, life-sucking laser gun?

I forget that the plot of X/Y sounds like something a rich person would actually do save for the life sucking laser gun.

Speaking of, Pokemon war is already canonical, ain't it?

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Idk why people don't automatically assume he doesn't age because of marketing to be honest.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Weird choice cause they have the bubble style from... Gen 5, was it?

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Plus the visual imagery of someone getting body slammed into the ocean is kinda hilarious, save for the whole dying part.

TheKirbs posted:

I want their to be a post game quest where you meet a cured/in control Damien and discover that Audrey survived do to being changed due to him accidentally infecting her.

Then you and Damien team up and fight of a bunch of overpowered Pokemon to get her back for him.

Then she's imprisoned but for her crimes but Damien visits her.

I can imagine him visiting her in prison and getting a lesson on the ins and outs of tax evasion and world annihilation from her.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Patter Song posted:

I'm envisioning a lot of Water/Dark dual types.

I think that was the thought process for delta Huntail, cause it kinda resembles a dragonfish/deep sea eel

Its a pretty cool idea though. Imagine something based off a deep sea jellyfish, like the firework jellyfish. Or if ya wanna be edgy you could make a delta wailord that's ghost/water, based off of the real life carcasses that end up floating to the bottom of the sea for other fish to feed on.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

A water/fire Mon based on creatures that live near deep sea vents would also be super rad. Or a water poison Mon that lives near *brine pools

Leraika posted:

Fortunately, Pokemon Sage has you covered in the blue angel department with what are 100% my favorite fakemon designs of all time:

Also??? I love this??? So much?

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, Uranium did that one with some sort of moray eel/tube worm.

For all the other things that were stupid about it, I thought a good number of the Pokemon were pretty interesting design-wise.

I don't remember a good chunk of the Uranium LP to be perfectly honest.

Carpator Diei posted:

Concerning Baaschaf, 'Schaf' is German for ''sheep'. I have no idea what Baariette is referencing (it doesn't seem to be French). Even the Uranium Wiki has only a blank space for the name origin, but in looking it up I discovered that there's a 2018 Halloween special version of the Baashaun line:

Dear god, it looks so dumb and I love it. Also, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that those were horns on it's head

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Cardiovorax posted:

FWIW, "dai-katana" (meaning 'big sword') is a common misreading of the kanji used to write the word nodachi, which is basically the Japanese version of the oversized two-handed claymore type of sword. They're a real thing and not necessarily a video game joke.

Soooo what I'm getting is that if it was more literal it'd be like ffvii's masamune but with a fish as a the hilt

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Late, but about Sun/Moon it's probable that it's mostly a kids thing because adults simply don't have the time or money for it. Like the one dude in the supermarket who used to be the old island champion(?) that laments the fact he has a mortgage.

Which, now that I think about it, makes the detective pikachu movie pretty realistic? I imagine that Pokemon related professions would be more desirable and pay more (and be harder to get into), meanwhile the boring desk jobs are left to unlucky fellows like the main character who have horribly banal lives in a world with magic animals.

Kinda makes me wonder if the Perfection cult would work better as a shady cooperation, since they seem to emphasize efficiency and logic rather than... I dunno, everything the other cults have done

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

iospace posted:

Assuming the Poke Dollar is similar to the Japanese Yen, in that it's roughly 1 USD = 100 Yen (ok, not really anymore), you can come out with 20 grand if you play your cards right in USUM (likely same with SuMo but you also don't have Rainbow Rocket). Tack on 200 from chucking Pyukumuku once a day, you could make a pretty penny.

Who knows though.

The only other game I can think of where you can get a lot of money like in Sun/Moon was BW, where you could easily rack up a few grands very quickly by selling relic items, even more so if you're determined to pick up vases and... I think it was a crown? I need to play that game again tbh

Haifisch posted:

Maybe the COL in the Pokeverse is wildly inflated to match how easy it is to get tons of money from beating people up with your magic animals.

There's also moves that create money, like payday. And items like luck incense can double the amount you get from it too.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Black Robe posted:

Depends how we're defining sentience. All pokemon fully understand human speech. Rotom, Zorua/Zoroark and various ghost types can use human speech (I think a psychic or two has as well at some point). Plenty of pokemon display 'human' emotions, from grief and temper tantrums to developing crushes, and are obviously aware enough to have their own identities. They can even make moral decisions, like AZ's pokemon choosing to leave him after what he did to resurrect it. Aside from the new-style tapus most legendaries seem closer to actual animals - I'm staying here in my den and want you humans to leave me the hell alone.

Considering Mew Two's reaction to humanity in the 2000 movie, I wouldn't be too surprised if the legendaries thought exactly that.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Saladin Rising posted:

Once again, I love how Insurgence just gives you the post-game battle stuff and says "have fun":

All the Choice items and buyable Life Orbs? Sure, why not! They go great with Drain Punch and the free Lucky Egg, because Insurgence encourages you to break the gently caress out the game (and have fun doing it) if you so desire.

Also keep the bee. Delta Luxray is okay, but I like Delta Vespiquen's design better, and it's neat to have a Vespiquen that's useful and great in battle.

I've been playing along (though I fell behind a while ago), and I somehow had two life orbs and two leftovers before the normal/fairy gym. This game is really generous with competitive items.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Delta Roserade with Heliophobia and life orb absolutely rules. Unfortunately had to box him and Delta Vespiquen because I was using a Delta chandelure :( still really glad you showed Roserade off

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When a guy dressed up like Giratina is calling you edgy, you need to rethink your life choices.

The saddest part is that he won't even remember

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Blaze Dragon posted:

I admit, I saw that sprite badly and thought Trevenant there was dual wielding shotguns. That'd be kind of badass, really.

Wait, you're telling me that's not what they are?

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

EclecticTastes posted:

The difference between the two theories isn't actually all that important in terms of writing narrative. Any plot point that implies a distrust of vaccination, regardless of the "bad effect" that results, can be construed quite easily (intended or not) as promoting a general distrust of vaccines. Much like how the people of Innsmouth loving the fishmen is a metaphor for Lovecraft's fear of mixed-race/ethnicity babies. He doesn't believe the babies will be horrid fish monsters IRL, but his more extreme allegory still reveals his prejudice.

Aren't most of his books generally racist and homophobic anyway? You'd have a hard time walking away with those without picking up on it unless you were a literal kid who didn't know any better. Like, I don't need to analyze in depth the picture of Dorian Grey to figure out that Oscar Wilde wasn't too wild about women. (Ironically, my entire class {including me} did need to have it pointed out that Nick Carraway in the Great Gatsby was gay. So maybe I'm just dense.)

Also, I do think it's a bit far fetched to say that it gives an anti vax impression and it's 100% the fault of the writing. Mostly because it's not like other works haven't used medicine to demonstrate some kind of "brainwashing." I'm pretty sure it's in dystopian writing 101. I don't recall if it was the movie or the book, but the giver had an injection that citizens were required to take daily to be complacent, and we happy few (I think) had their joy pills. A cursory google search tells me there are at least several different novels from the 20th century that use some kind of drug related brainwashing.

It would be more reasonable to say that it promotes or represents a general anxiety of modern/new medicine rather than anti vaxing specifically. (Especially in the hands of a tyrannical authority figure, as two of the antagonists are authority figures. But even then medicine is typically used to demonstrate the absolute control the authority has over the individual rather than an innate distrust of a fuckin measels vaccines, but alas, I'm rambling.) They probably just used vaccine because it sounds less ominous and not-evil. Alternatively it could be anxiety over misdiagnosing/over diagnosing medicine, which is a serious problem that's been documented for the last few years (and I believe it also contributes to creating drug resistant bacteria).

Also because the pokerus thing is a virus, so you'd treat it with a vaccine...

And yeah, someone can basically twist anything to fit their narrative with a work of art (because art is meant to be interpreted). While it's arguably harder with some (after all you don't see Nazi's picking up any of Mel Brooks works) others are easier. A good, video game related example is Bayonetta. Often people praise it for empowering female sexuality, which you could definitely argue. But you could also argue that some angles and scenes are meant to ogle the character as well, and consider it objectifying.

Edit: also I wouldn't be surprised if no one ever pointed out something that could be interpreted as racist or taken the wrong way in a genre like YA because certain books are just produced so cheaply and lazily that no one would care. I recall a story about a bunch of authors attempting to write the worst science fiction stories that they could possibly produce, squeezing every error and novice mistake a writer could make onto multiple pages to prove how terrible the editing process was for the genre at the time by getting the book published.

Edit 2: I'd also like to point out that it's not the author's job to convey their point in a clear manner, and literally one of the major aspects of literary analysis is that some things are ambiguous. A perfect example of this is the poem My Papa's waltz where the diction makes it hard to determine whether it's a happy memory or an abusive one. Especially with the fact that the author himself has conflicted feelings about his father, and it shows in their writing.

I feel like this is a faucet of something larger related to writing like "show don't tell" or checkov's gun that are told to beginner writers who take the basic phrases very literally because it sticks more than "if you mention this character trait, you probably should have your character actually act like they have that trait" or "maybe you shouldn't put something so pointless or random here"

Edit 3: A Perfect Day for Bannafish is another good example, as it could either be about nihilism to someone or about miscommunication and innocence. A lot of people have no goddamn clue what the ending means but that's okay because sometimes there is no one answer.

Lyumia fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 3, 2019

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Honestly I have no clue what delta lanturn is supposed to do either, considering the weaknesses and check that regular Laturn has kind of just makes the Delta worse?

Leraika posted:

Delta Lanturn seems like it wants to be a special sweeper (Tail Glow raises special attack by three stages), or a gimmicky setup wall (stockpile/will o'wisp/clear smog/follow me) but its moves are just all over the place and its typing and stats (assuming they're roughly the same as the original) don't really lend themselves well to either. It literally never learns a special move for one of its types by level up, which is not good.

I thought this too, until I looked at its TM list on the wiki. It can learn Dream Eater, Lunar Cannon, Sludge Wave and a few other special moves and statuses. It still has problems though, because I'm pretty sure it's bulk or typing wouldn't stop it from getting 1HKO by most bosses in the late game

It does learn flamethrower by level up actually but not shadow ball, oddly enough.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Vandar posted:

You can't bring up the Gen II all-stars like Lugia and the team of SkarmBliss without mentioning the king of stall: motherfuckin' Curselax, arguably *the* most powerful 'mon during the GSC era.

I still have nightmares about having to fight rear end in a top hat Curselaxes during the early days of online battle simulators. :gonk:

Gods, Gen II and it's 'stall FOREVER' metagame was such a weird time compared to everything that came afterwards.

I mean you can very easily get up to 70 turns with a toxapex on smogon, so I don't think they've gone away

Also, mono poison teams in general just try to stall/toxic your whole team :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I dunno if it's just me, but delta snivy and Delta Dragonite's underbelly is kinda making me think theres a reason game freak doesn't put a lot of detail on things that do or would have scales. Otherwise I do adore the idea.

Also I thought power trick didn't apply buffs that were done before using the move.

Otherwise, I'm glad you decided to show off delta Camerupt, because it looks like a lot of fun to use.