Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

RatHat posted:

So even besides the whole boat within a boat thing, why didn't Bruno putting a hole in boat 1 affect boat 2?

EDIT: Also Abbacchio has that backstory and he's only 21.

The dude's jurisdiction was basically Turboillegal, Italy(it's a small town in the province of Crime).

Also man it's great just how much better a character Giorno is with a proper translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

The chapters that contained this week's fight got a proper translation over 5 years ago.

Sure, but I never read the new good translation so all I had to work with was the old bad translation, and that was terrible at conveying Giorno's personality.

somepartsareme posted:

and honestly i still didn't like any of the characters in particular when I read it. I think davidpro is doing a lot for the characters just through a lot of little things and adding/rearranging little bits of character development and backstory

For me personally, it's that there's enough characterization now that Giorno doesn't seem like a dude who just does things because the plot needs him to. The expository rearranging is also good, but the old translations never adequately conveyed that "If I need to rip my arm off to win then I won't even waste a second agonizing over it" attitude he has. It just never felt like he recognized the danger or costs or whatever.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 11, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CJ posted:

Did he put one ship over the top of the other like a tablecloth or one inside the other like a duvet cover?

Either way it doesn't seem like it should work given that you can go inside the ship through doors so you'd think you would notice the deflated boat at that point.

Well he didn't have the keys to the ship, so he would have had to deflate 02 and stretch it out over 01 (probably while they were buying snacks or whatever). Or be the secret biggest strongest boy. And yeah if they tried to open a door they might have noticed, but also Zuchero dipped out of a moving car the moment he heard Bruno's name. Dude couldn't focus on driving while driving, he wasn't exactly a tactical genius.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Madtrixr posted:

It's almost infuriating to see how nonsensical it looks in comparison to the new translation, I went and found a picture comparing the scene of Polpo going on about his art collection, because its A) anime thread friendly and B) Really shows off the old translation just straight making poo poo up. (How the gently caress did they get to "Buddhist Valley?")

They mistranslated an Italian dude complaining about tourists not using the Italian name of a Italian city into an Italian dude complaining about tourists not using the French name of an Italian city, if I remember correctly because of one reference to Paris in the rant. They weren't very good.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

I swear I remember them keeping Superflys user weird calluses, it wasnt nearly as gross in the anime tho.

They did keep them, they just looked like weird hexagon rocks instead of bulbous growths. Also they didn't really get much air time where as with a comic panel you can just sit there staring and going "eww" "eww" "eww icky eww" for hours.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
With the power of my stand,『Boyz II Men』I will combine all the good boys to create an army of perfect boys! Okusuke! Mistacchio! Jotayion! Koichi! All the boys will be improved!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

RatHat posted:

Joke doesn't work since there's already a Boy II Man stand(Janken boy).

Umm excuse me, I think you mean BoyManMan. I couldn't think of another name, gently caress rock paper scissors

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

for the record, bricksnake is actually like really high up there on the 'what the gently caress' scale for jojo in terms of disbelief not being suspended as well as it could be. honestly if you can roll with that you should be good for most anything in the series.

Yeah when I first read the bad translation, snake brick is when I just completely wrote off Giorno. It's so loving dumb. There's maybe one other thing I can think of that matches it for being too dumb and it's not in this part so whatever.

Even with a good translation it's still really loving dumb, but at least I like the character enough now I can tolerate it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 29, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Ah okay. So he like takes himself out of the timeline for up to 10 seconds and gets to choose where he re-enters?

Not really. The key phrase is "all that remains in this world are the results." Nothing that happens during the erased time actually matters, which is why the boss doesn't just hit people like Dio did during stopped time. Since everything else is stuck on course, for everything but the boss this is the equivalent of just skipping ahead to the results. The boss isn't stuck with what was supposed to happen so he's kinda exempt from it.

At least I'm pretty sure. It's a weird power.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 2, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Everyone's so concerned with understanding how King Crimson works we're neglecting the real most important part of this episode, Narancia hogging all the chocolate.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

he bought it with his own money

A true gang-star understands that sharing is caring.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Fugo's a secret juggalo. If she was down with the clown then she'd be fam.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tunicate posted:

He kidnapped Trish and cut off her arm

He (probably) didn't cut off her hand during the erased time though (and these seeming inconsistencies are part of why King Crimson's power is hard to explain). How, exactly, he did it and escaped through the top to get below the elevator without getting caught can best be described as "I dunno Araki."

edit: But you could probably explain inconsistencies if the boss could choose to be affected by KC like everyone else and forego changing anything.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 2, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The truth is that all turtles can access that dimensional room, but Coco Jumbo and it's clones are the only ones chill enough to let anyone into the turtle club.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Chase was a great song you fools

Chase was evocative of its section of the story. This just feels like a anime op.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Chase was a generic anime op from 2003, this song is actually fun.

Yeah but it ain't 2003, and a scratchy aggressive song with a scratchy hard to parse intro fits for the section of the story that has the most major characters dying which is all I really want out of my anime openings. Nothing about this new opening is bad, it's just really safe.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

If only stand users can see stands does that mean I am a stand user?

no, you're jellyfish.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, between ASB and EoH, only Bruno's group (plus Trish and minus Abbacchio) and THE BOSS are playable characters.

I'd like to see a moveset for Moody Blues, but he doesn't really do anything beyond punching and kicking a little bit. What would his ultimate attack even be? Turning into Abbacchio and choking you a little bit?

Set him up like Bedman from Guilty Gear. The Moody Blues choke would be his grab. The ultimate is the stomping.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

The boss couldn't even instant kill Bruno, he absolutely could not handle DIO regenerating, stopping time, and then knocking his god drat head off.

All space stand users get one get out of death free card. Just the rules, even The Boss has to live with them.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But he tried to use BtD to send himself back in time at the end, so he can apparently use its effect while it's on his own body. Or something.

Hayato was dead as hell when BtD first gets used, the initial reset is just part of its setup phase.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of interesting: out of all of the characters, Abbacchio is the only one so far not to have a "Giorno's so cool. I trust him completely." moment.

Then we see when he died, he grabbed onto something because he expected Giorno to lead them to his answer. I like the subtle detail of his acceptance. :3:

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/762464525249490945

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If an event gets erased then it wouldn't have any results because it would never have happened!!!!!!!!!!!

In this world, only the results remain. This is the Boss's mentality, so this is his stand. This is in direct opposition to the gang's mentality, so this element of his character and therefor his stand gets to do whatever it takes to really lean into it.

It's like every version of Kira's stand being a get out of jail free card, even to a completely ridiculous extent like Bite the Dust. For major antagonists it's always more important that their stand operates as an extension of what they represent and poo poo than for them to be a singularly solvable puzzle.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 28, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

LightningKimba posted:

While I was watching Jojo last night with a couple of friends, one of them discovered a plot hole by the end of "Beneath a Sky on the Verge of Falling" - Bruno bit into his lower lip and began bleeding. But that doesn't make sense, since when he was pierced by that nail way back when after he was revived by Golden Wind, he wasn't bleeding there.

What's the deal with you, Bruno? Unless that's something that occurred in the original manga, as well.

It is in the manga. You could go with something about how he still has blood in him, Giorno says as much, but really it's irrelevant. Hazamada was once as tall as Josuke, then he got beaten and shrunk down to Koichi size. No one actually has a completely set color scheme. Everything will be warped to match the tone and mood, and in that scene Bruno biting himself until he bleeds better emphasizes his emotional state than him gnawing on beef jerky lips.

It's not a plot hole, it's just a visual flourish.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 12, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's semi-secret canon that Bruno gave Abbacchio a special zipper to use for smooching when they're away on jobs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Do you think fugo was written out because he’s a direct counter or because araki wanted trish instead and that would have been too many people

I'm pretty sure the confirmed reason is that originally Fugo was going to betray the gang, but Araki couldn't bring himself to write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
she is risen