Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, so I’m probably pretty late to the bandwagon at this point, but I finally started watching Part 3 on Netflix like a filthy casual (after watching part 1/2 years back) and it loving owns. I kinda assumed it would be overrated, and yeah insofar as nothing can live up to the hype created by being the most well-known part of one of the most influential series in shonen history, but it’s pretty drat great. I kind of just assumed with Jotaro at the helm the series would have less dumb humor but it doubled down because Jotaro is part of an ensemble cast of loving weirdos, while the fights are pretty great even knowing that no one dies until the end, which is pretty surprising itself.

I’m not quite done yet (at D’Arby the Younger) but unless the ending completely shits the bed (I know that things definitely don’t go very well for the cast but that’s not the same thing as badly written) I’m probably gonna go ahead and buy the super overpriced Part 4 set 1 Blu-ray.

Sorry if this should have gone in one of the general chat threads or something, I figured this thread doubled as general Jojo anime discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, I know that Stardust Crusade had crazy poo poo going down on the regular, but The Time Koichi Had a Lovesick Crush and Josuke and Okuyasu Made Everything SO Much Worse is pretty new for the series so far.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh man, the end of DiU episode 17 literally gave me chills, even though I knew what was coming. :arghfist:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Is that Kira's reveal?
I'm still bummed that they decided to include foreshadowing for the anime. IIRC hands weren't in the manga before. Sure, it's obvious that the dude has an evil presense, and it's pretty obvious who he is, but not what he's doing. Paired with his theme it would've been so much more effective to see his girlfriend for the first time.

To be honest when I see cheeky stuff like that and spoilers in the openings/endings I kinda just assume they do it because Jojo is a Thing so most people have some idea of what’s coming. I think the booklet that came with my Blu-ray’s mentions that they wanted to show bits of him early because they wanted to establish an overall arc for DiU, which I can kinda see if it takes until episode 21 to get to him.

Also I feel conflicted because I feel like Yukiko is simultaneously Just The loving Worst and Second Best Jojo Girl so far, which is saying something. If nothing else she really highlights DiUs tendency to give people a free pass for murder and crimes/mutilation because of Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Makes sense, but I wish they made it more subtle. Going back to Stardust Crusaders, some of the foreshadowing is just blunt as gently caress, but done in a way that you can't connect the pieces.

Yukako is pretty cool because nowadays she's a pretty big trope, when in reality she was the originator of that "too obsessed" character (which definitely has an anime name but I can't be bothered to google those things). A shame the series doesn't have more well-written female characters. I'm just gonna assume "best girl" here describes Lisa Lisa because who the gently caress was even there?

Edit: Aw gently caress I forgot about Enya. She loving rules and is one of my favorites.

I think the name is yandere but unlike tsundere it actually has a 1:1 English translation (lovesick) so just use that imo. And yeah, I guess there aren’t a lot of females in Jojo that get to do much besides her and best mom Lisa Lisa, huh.

Oh well, I hear Part 6 has something to say about that!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, Shigecchi. :( He had obnoxious moments, but he was still a good boy. Kinda surprised he went out fighting and not just immediately ratting our all the stand users when his parents were threatened. Araki really had to have him die right outside of the door though, didn’t he.

Kira is pretty terrifying in his small-time monster quality; like, Dio was a horrible monster but he at least was larger than life, all Yoshikage Kira wants is a quiet routine life that just happens to involve periodic murder for his fetish. I admire the fact that he’s just a loving savant at serial killing though, this dude just makes the worst life choices in regards to keeping his hobby under wraps.

Also, I’m otherwise liking the dub a lot, but Deadly Queen really doesn’t hit the same.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished Part 4. In any other series I would consider Kira to be a stupidly overpowered poorly thought out character in terms of their powerset*, but it was very thematically appropriate that as powerful as he was on top of the egregious luck he had, he was ultimately brought down by everyone he hurt and trampled over in the pursuit of his best life. That and just being pretty goddamn dumb, which was probably also deliberate to an extent, like imagine a normal-rear end, maskless Dio Brando with just Killer Queen, let alone Sheer Heart Attack and Bites the Dust.

Part 4’s real real good, it’s just 75% “what if araki wrote a Saturday morning cartoon about a weird town” which was extremely my poo poo, as was most of the Kira half, but it was hard to not notice more moments of janky animation than SC, which hurts something like DiU a lot less than something more battle focused.

* I mean, Killer Queen is kind of inconsistent initially since if it could always blow up people and not just things then why didn’t he blow up the first hand as soon as he got it back, let alone setting a bomb on it before he left the house

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I’m pretty firmly convinced the funniest scene of Jojo is still probably “HAYATO, YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD DEFY FATE, BUT I, YOSHIKAGE KIRA, HAVE ONCE AGAIN TRIUMPHED OVER ALL” followed by “OH NO, I, YOSHIKAGE KIRA, HAVE BEEN AGAIN FOUND OUT! HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?????”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

There's like no way Kira could have predicted the goblin boy had a stand that tracked him much less reveal the hand.

Yeah but that shouldn’t matter though, he’s carrying around the severed hand of someone he killed in his coat jacket, he should have already tagged it as a fail safe. Like, yeah Kira’s dumb compared to DIO and pretty arrogant, but not turning the hand into a bomb before leaving the house is beyond his usual brand of fuckup, which makes it just look like he couldn’t tag it with Killer Queen because his powerset wasn’t yet defined, like how Star Platinum was grabbing poo poo for Jotaro autonomously at the start of SC even though it can’t have moved that that far.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Not gonna lie, I know it would jank af but I still wish the gradual art shift was in the anime too so I could have Super Buff Josuke getting into early DiU shenanigans

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, Modern Jotaro really does not look right at all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Beamed posted:

I got a bit into Egypt too, and then some dude turned Polnareff into a kid and threatened to lick him to death or some poo poo behind the door. That wasn't.. a lot better.

i don’t remember Alessi trying to lick anyone to death, but I won’t pretend his episodes aren’t super uncomfortable, which was 100% a choice by Araki to just make the reader uncomfortable af (unlike, say, what you pointed out before which was just poorly thought out) so I’m honestly fairly conflicted on how to feel about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bell_ posted:

I thought this doesn't happen until Part 5

nah, Echoes evolves into Act 3 in the fight with Sheer Heart Attack (which really should have been named Don’t Stop Me Now considering) for like no reason iirc. I haven’t watched Part 5 yet but I’ve seen clips of him using Act 2 for recon poo poo, so idk what the gently caress is going on with it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I always figured they cut out people getting brutally run down for censoring reasons, even on a late night slot there’s still probably stuff they don’t want to go all in on (unless it just gets healed with Crazy Diamond)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Part 2 is a pretty great part but the animation is still struggling to do Araki’s style justice

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The most insane part of that is still that Koichi was hosed specifically because Echoes had already decided to evolve again out of nowhere when Koichi was handling the situation pretty okay since, you know, Echoes Act 2 and all. At least that’s what I remember.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

Echoes Act 3 has the ability to rhyme things, but all Koichi does with it is use "three = freeze" to make things really heavy and stop them from moving. Biggest waste of a stand ability ever, especially considering how varied Acts 1 and 2's abilities are and how cleverly Koichi uses them.

Wait, THATS how it works? Like, can’t you theoretically just use it to make The World: Redux by having it do something like Clock = Stop then?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:hmmyes:

That said, I do find it hilarious how the beginning of DIU immediately establishes "Josuke messes up healing when he's pissed.", only for him to punch through an innocent woman and a guy (possessed by Angelo) with no real injury to either of them beyond the knife put in the latter's stomach.

I thought he healed that thug wrong on purpose to be a dick? Honestly I always thought Crazy Diamond’s power was to reassemble/restore things, not specifically healing, so it’s allowed to “cheat” like a Nen ability in Hunter x Hunter by using the user’s ingenuity as it’s only hard limitation. Stuff like him turning people into rocks and books (which, like, Jesus ducking Christ for the latter, at least Angelo was a Kira-level monster) only works if his ability is restoration and not healing specifically.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Beyond putting a knife into his stomach, the guy seems to have been put back together just fine is what I mean. At least compared to, say, what happened to the bully's nose or even Jotaro's hat earlier when Josuke was met with a similar insult to his hair. And the hostage didn't seem to have any problems with her at all.

I meant the bullying thug who made him touch a turtle, I guess he’s a high school bully technically but Jojo has some real thug-rear end designs for its bullying unnamed NPCs whether they’re high schoolers, dumb kids bullying a dumb rich kid, nazis or police.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Part 7 is a weird example to use, since it has the most coherent overall plot of any of the Parts. But Part 3 in particular does mostly break down into individual fights without much development of the overall plot beyond the protagonists moving closer to Cairo and checking off tarot cards from the list, yeah. Part 4's plot structure is less rigid, and it has some developing plot threads (Akira taking the Arrow, Echoes getting stronger, Rohan's investigation to narrow down Kira's new identity, the sections focused on Kira himself), but a lot of it definitely consists of self-contained fights, and some of them (e.g., Let's Go Hunting) could be removed with no or very few changes to the overall plot. Part 5 has the superficial appearance of a complex plot, and there are actual plot developments toward the beginning and (in a less well-written way) the end, but if you look more closely you realize that a fair amount of the middle has basically the same plot structure as Part 3, just with a series of MacGuffins to move the protagonists around Italy instead of a single continuous journey.

Not gonna lie, the Hunting episode is one of my favorites partly cause it’s pretty good, but mostly because it’s never gonna be hilarious to me that the dub VA for Josuke told his family and friends about the first character he did that was on TV and the episode they ended up getting together to hear him for was that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looking at all the Jojos next to each other makes Part 1/2’s jank budget interpretation of Araki’s art stand out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Slightly off-topic, but has Jojo made you aware of any bangers you might have overlooked otherwise? Holy Diver is pretty great and I’m pretty bummed there’s (probably) not an AMV of the Jotaro/DIO fight with that playing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

overmind2000 posted:

There are several, here's one with a mix of the anime and OVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxnfgA2brws

Glad as always to be proven wrong! I feel like I need to just straight up google every song/band Araki references at some point since while I really like the dub script and most of the VO a whole lot it does come with the disadvantage of not always knowing what banger Araki was listening to on his Walkman when he wrote that particular chapter/arc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

There are a few scenes here and there that didn't make it into the anime for time, too. (For example, Joseph and Caesar ransacking a post office, Cheap Trick ordering Rohan like 40 pizzas, the Gangstars breaking into the airport prior to Notorious BIG, and so on.)

what the gently caress!?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, I thought even the Crunchyroll subs weren’t allowed to use but they just pretend they’re not obviously saying Gold Experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

The biggest example of the stand renaming conventions being extremely arbitrary is that Gold Experience is changed to Golden Wind in one of the fighting games, but in the same game a different Prince song name is unchanged.

Imo it’s more egregious that the dub changed a random song reference character to fuckin Bille Jean of all things.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk that much about Part 6 besides Jolene best girl, but doesnt most of it take place in prison? so it shouldn’t matter that much that they can’t do scouting, right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Polnariff looks fine imo but Modern Araki Jotaro is seriously some uncanny valley poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finally started watching Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe since I’ve been listening to a Jojo podcast and man, I think the first episode is one of my favorite Jojo things, just peak absurdity/tension. it was kind of funny going by the assumption for most of the episode that the “protagonist” would win because how else does he confess only to drop the Jojo-rear end twist of being a body double