Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

gold experience is one of a handful of stands where the best course of action is to not ask 'what if it did this' because you're going to quickly find out that araki has a habit of writing very open-ended things and it's best not to question it

Yeah. It's a lot like Heaven's Door in that regard, although Heaven's Door is at least limited in practice by Rohan's aesthetic sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

The more extraneous bits of Gold Experience do get trimmed down, at least. I think we've actually seen the last of the damage reflection, for example.

There's actually a possible explanation for this hinted at in the episode. Giorno makes it sound like the damage redirection is an uncontrollable side effect of the animals' independence from him; perhaps it will stop happening as he improves his control over the animals' actions.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 9, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I think the #1 rule for stands is that when you first get one there's a grace period where you're virtually omnipotent, before you settle down on what your gimmick actually is.

Oh yeah. Star Platinum getting the treadmill into the cell makes no sense for such a short-range Stand and implies a make-objects-phase-through-other-objects power that never comes up again. Not to mention Star Finger! And then there's Dio's copy of Hermit Purple, although the artbooks do say it's Jonathan's Stand, so maybe he lost it as he assimilated Jonathan's body.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Clearly Dio's real power is stealing from the Joestar bloodline

This is actually a fairly popular fan theory (similar to a Soviet Stand user killing Stroheim, Josuke going back in time to save himself, etc.). Said artbook seems to contradict it, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

she takes the place of that kid from the end of part 1 and smokey from part 2 of being seemingly relevant and nothing happening

Poco has an actual character arc, and Smokey at least gets to do some Speedwagon-style commentary. The Runaway Girl (she's not even called Anne in the manga) is purely a damsel in distress, when she serves any narrative purpose at all.

I'd say her pointlessness is partly due to Araki not being great with female characters back then, but Erina, Lisa Lisa, and even Poco's sister are better written than that, so that just points to the further question of how Araki lost the ability to write female characters starting around the start of Part 3. I don't think it qualifies as a spoiler to say that there are better female characters later on, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i wouldn't say araki 'lost' the ability to write female characters just because he dropped the boring runaway girl

No, I'm saying he "lost" the ability to write female characters because the Runaway Girl, and the Part 3 female characters in general, are not very well-written. Basically every female character in Part 3 is either a damsel in distress or a throwaway villain (and the female throwaway villains tend to be defined by their appearance in a way the male ones aren't). Enya is the exception (although even she turned out to be a less important character than she had been built up as - but that's not a gender thing; other villains who were built up as important, like Jack the Ripper, Straizo, and Santana, got a similar treatment).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 21, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Isnt part 5 disliked because it had horrible fan translations by non native speakers

That's one of three reasons it's disliked, I'd say. The other two reasons involve spoilers, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Strength is based on an obscure horror movie called something like Ghost Ship, IIRC. The OVA version of the Strength arc actually seems to have used the movie as a reference for depicting the ship's interior.

There's also some in later parts. In Part 4 you have American Psycho (Kira), Stephen King's Misery (Yukako), and probably others I've forgotten or didn't recognize.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 1, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Italy loves its lemon-lime drinks and there's plenty of competition.

Personally, I'm fond of the Italian lemon soda called Lemonsoda (seriously).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I was referring to one piece actually

One Piece actually spends very little time on boats. When the story stalls, it's always on an island.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A year?! The man murdered Keicho!

I assume the murder couldn't be proven, only some of the petty thefts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Willsun posted:

JoJo is like breathing air to me so no

Also is Hol Horse's Emperor just a better version of Mista's Sex Pistol? Emperor doesn't need to be fed/satisfied, can be summoned from thin air, and can seemingly control its bullets freely in any direction. Not saying I don't like Sex Pistol's awesome Pokemon direction but unless there's more abilities the anime hasn't shown yet, who wouldn't rather have Emperor instead?

Oh yeah and very Asian of Mista to be superstitious about the number 4 as an Italian man.

Sex Pistols can control 6 bullets at once. Plus it can be used to scout, which Emperor can’t be.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The question of who the guy who saved Josuke was gets revisited in one of the light novels (The Book: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 4th Another Day). The LN's new anti-hero character offers to Josuke to figure out who it was using his memory powers, and even raises the possibility that Josuke went back in time to save himself, but Josuke says he doesn't want to know who it really was.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The question of who the guy who saved Josuke was gets revisited in one of the light novels (The Book: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 4th Another Day). The LN's new anti-hero character offers to Josuke to figure out who it was using his memory powers, and even raises the possibility that Josuke went back in time to save himself, but Josuke says he doesn't want to know who it really was.

By the way, I recommend The Book. It's a bit unlike the manga/anime tonally (it feels more like an early Nasuverse story in some ways), but it works well as the kind of story it is. There's no Part 5 spoilers in it either.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, Jojo IS wacky random bullshit but its not bad wacky random bullshit.

What makes Araki better than a writer who is just making up everything as it goes along is that it maintains a consistent sense of surreality that ends up making the absurdity coherent. Its kind of vaguely Dada.

Take Soft Machine for example. Deflating a boat and covering another boat in the deflated boat so you can sneak through the deflated boat without being noticed is absolutely loving wacky as hell. The difference though is that he has created a consistent sense of reality in which that happening doesn't seem implausible within the rules of the universe.

The genius of jojo is not that he just randomly makes stuff up, its that hes created a narrative reality which allows the reader to immediately buy into seemingly outlandish events.

I think a big part of this is the detailed art style and the general use of realistic detail to ground the absurdity. Xibanya has made some interesting points about the difference between Jojo and something like Dragon Ball, where absurdity is the default and almost nothing is meant to be taken very seriously.

FirstAidKite posted:

I do appreciate that his style of writing fights seems to heavily rely on writing the characters into a corner and finding a way for them to get out again though, but more controlled than that obviously

Oh yeah. An important aspect of this is the way he often writes both participants in a fight into corners without having a fixed structure to it, instead of the Fairy Tail approach where the protagonist is the one losing until they turn things around at the very last second, or the Bleach approach where whoever uses their full power first loses.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do think this is something that he grew into, and creating stands was a big part of it.

Like, the arbitrarity of Hamoan and especially a lot of the fights in Battle Tendency kind of show that Araki's style of combat can kind of fall apart if not well grounded.

I mean, the Esidisi conclusion is absolute bullshit in the worst way because he hadnt yet really mastered the craft of how to allow the reader to buy into absurd outcomes yet

EDIT: Also I swear to god if someone starts getting all condescending about how hamoan in part 2 makes perfect sense I am gonna scream

It's Hamon (or better yet, the Ripple), not Hamoan. And while I won't claim everything involving the Ripple in Part 2 makes perfect sense, I didn't have a problem with the Eisidisi conclusion (assuming you mean the rope trick).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

speaking of Phantom Blood's super hard left turn I wonder what it was like for jump readers when it first started

like for the first few weekly chapters its about these two victorian rivals and then all of a sudden there are vampires and a guy in a tophat who is a lightning ninja

I always wondered that too. It would be neat if someone dug up old Japanese Usenet posts to find out, assuming there even was a Japanese Usenet community discussing shonen manga back then.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I do appreciate that Stroheim outright murders innocent people in his introduction, foreclosing “clean Wehrmacht”-style defenses of him...but a lot of fans forget about that, and I suspect Araki may have forgotten about it too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There is also an amusing irony involving the Nazis in Battle Tendency, which unfortunately revolves around a bit of narration that's omitted from the anime. The narrator talks about how the Nazis believed that Germans were "more evolved" than other humans and therefore had the right to crush everybody else. In other words, according to Stroheim's own theoretical beliefs, Kars is completely in the right.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Also phantom blood opens up with a blood sacrifice using the mask so it was always clear it was going to be supernatural and was never something out of left field

True in the manga but not the anime, IIRC.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Given Joseph has Japanese family and his daughter lives in Japan, it's entirely plausible that he knows how to speak Japanese fairly well.

The treatment of language barriers in Jojo is a bit odd. I assume everyone is speaking English in Part 3 and Japanese in Part 4, and there's a good explanation for Koichi knowing Italian in Part 5, but the way everyone understands each other in Part 2 makes no sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, I'd say that JoJo does tend to be more queer-coded than the works it draws much of its inspiration from (like Hollywood horror and action movies) - it de-emphasises heterosexual romance and emphasises male bonding and friendship much harder even before you get to the gazey fashion-magazine aesthetic. It's certainly not an overtly gay show, but I can definitely see it as intentionally but covertly homoerotic. Reminds me a lot of those old books by gay authors that trod extremely lightly around the censors (and diligently presented overt gay relationships as awful/tragic/just a phase, even while going on for paragraph after paragraph about the protagonist's incredibly close friendship with his incredibly handsome best friend), even if there's no way to guess what Araki and his editors' actual motivations were for creating the manga as it is.

IIRC, Araki has stated that he didn’t intend Part 5 to be homoerotic, but that when people pointed it out to him, he realized that it was pretty homoerotic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DrManiac posted:

so did araki forget that stands not having mirror worlds is a key part of the hanged man fight?

I assumed it was a deliberate jokey callback. Like Superfly being a tower because Tower of Gray was a fly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

[points to the news]

This is actually probably where the anime writers got the idea; the original manga doesn't have Fugo's flashback, just Illuso's summary of Fugo's past, leaving Fugo's reasons for beating the professor unexplained.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly the only thing about Giorno's actions that bother me in this fight are that the damage reflection didn't seem to occur. Or maybe you can reason that it did and that the intense pain he was in was at least a little bit because of the fact that he just poked a hole into a snake.

I'm going with my theory that Giorno lost the reflection ability as a side effect of improving his control over the animals.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CJ posted:

I'm gonna say Gold Experience isn't internally consistent.

Obviously the Doylist reason is "Araki forgot" (deliberately or otherwise), but that doesn't mean you can't come up with a more or less coherent Watsonian reason.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of which, how did Akira find out about Time Stop? :psyduck:

I assume Keicho Nijimura told him about it. The real question is how Keicho found out about...pretty much everything. Maybe he interrogated Dio's surviving minions; none of them actually saw Jotaro stop time, but Daniel D'Arby probably suspected Jotaro of stopping time before he actually developed the time stop.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

darbys brain dead

he got spooked too hard

I don't think he's brain dead. He went nuts for a bit, but he probably got over it eventually.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

That never made sense to me since Thoth is still Boingo and thus it's still him drawing the comic. Rohan is one of those guys that doesn't consider digital art to be real art.

Thoth is an Automatic Stand. It’s outside of Boingo’s control, or at least his conscious control.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CJ posted:

Aah, yes. When there is a discrepancy in who is getting affected by a superpower the changes in body temperature between men and women due to the difference in body fat is my immediate thought. Is that even true? If so then shouldn't fat people not be affected either?

Grateful Dead is one of those things in Jojo that you probably shouldn’t overthink, but my assumption is that the bad guys were OK with fat people being unaffected because everyone on Bruno’s team is in good shape anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I really hope somebody in mafia decided that they need a turtle with that specific stand, so now Italy is full of superpowered turtles that can shoot spikes, sing real loud or spawn bridges.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here knows, but is JoJo seen as extremely gay in Japan, too? I know that they have slightly different stereotypes, and people have discussed how Araki is, allegedly, just eccentric (I still don't buy it, but whatever), but this part feels like anime Rocky Horror in terms of just how gay everything is. And if so, what does LGBT community over there thinks of it?

Araki has acknowledged in an interview that Part 5 is pretty homoerotic, even though he didn't consciously intend it to be.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But he made two characters a gay couple notorious for sneaking away to bang.

And that's not even getting into the face lick.

Sorbet and Gelato are not exactly major characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

We haven't yet gotten to either the part that's memetically confusing or the part that's way more confusing than even that.

Yeah.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I decided to make playlists based on the JoJo parts and their many musical references. Here's the one for Diamond is Unbreakable: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3rybu5zeA9KUoBMrc9Nd0g

Any suggestions? I'm unfamiliar with many of the bands/albums in question, so I'm open to recommendations of better songs to represent those.

A few notes:
  • Asia's Aqua is apparently not available on Spotify, at least not for free, but Who Will Stop the Rain, a song from Aqua, is available as part of Different Worlds, an Asia album that Wikipedia makes no mention of. :iiam:
  • See Emily Play and Arnold Layne are apparently someone on the Jojo wiki's guess for what Reimi and Arnold are supposed to be references to. See Emily Play in particular seems like a stretch, but they fit the pattern of Pink Floyd references in Part 4, and it would have felt weird not having something to represent Reimi, at least.
  • Wow, Pink Floyd loved making really long songs! This works perfectly for Shine on You, Crazy Diamond, since I can use one half to represent Jotaro Meets Josuke and the other to represent The Unbreakable Crazy Diamond. Unfortunately, Echoes isn't split up on Spotify the same way.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 24, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Star Platinum posted:

Just one, it creates life. :colbert:

There was also the redirection ability, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it any more.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

eh

generally on par with each other, if anything. the part 5 one is doing really well, though.

I consider the anime version of Part 1 a clear improvement on the manga, mainly because the Part 1 manga art style is not very good, and the Part 1 anime's faster pacing works well for what's something of a prologue to the series as a whole. The anime versions of Part 4 and Part 5 are also improvements in my opinion, in part because they were made with knowledge of where the story was going and thus connect things better. Part 2 is about on par, I guess. Part 3 is the only one that's strikes me as slightly worse in adaptation; there's too many episodes for the material, so some of the fights, like High Priestess, get stretched out too long, and Xibanya has pointed out that the anime misses some of the nuances of Jotaro's facial expressions, making him even more :geno:.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

it def takes you longer to watch nine episodes than it does to read less than 50 chapters

This is true, but 5 chapters per episode is a lot faster than the norm for shonen manga adaptations.

Edit: And while those 3 panels from late Part 1 are great, a lot of the earlier Part 1 art is not.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 6, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So what're the odds of Giorno using this power as part of his normal repertoire and collecting skin samples of all his friends (and any available enemies) so he can produce new stands at will?

He's totally going to forget he can do this and it'll be like the damage-reflecting power isn't he?

Giorno's friends might not be OK with being cloned.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Is there anything similar to the work of Araki around? The only animes/manga I've enjoyed as much as his are Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. I didn't mind Death Note and the recent Devilman either but in terms of sheer creativity and acceptable-to-good writing I'm struggling to find anything else. Of course it may be because I'm an older goon (not really the target demographic) and I don't know the medium too well.

Depends on what exactly you're like about Jojo, but if you're looking for a shonen manga/anime with some dark edges and creative uses of weird powers, I recommend Hunter x Hunter.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kawabata posted:

It's weird though because I don't mind Pokemon games at all but as soon as a literal elementary school kid with superpowers tries to take things seriously in any anime I'm like eeeehhhhh not for me. I think I have worms in my head.

Is it kids fighting per se that you don't like, kids saving the world, or kids fighting against adults?