Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...kup-and-restore ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VostokProgram posted:

Can anyone suggest a backup software that is absolutely braindead easy for a non-technical person to set up and maintain? I set my sister up with duplicati and an external hard drive and the software "stopped working" so she doesn't use it anymore. Frankly I don't want to try debugging poo poo from 300 miles away. I'm willing to pay for it if it's good

The software that WD gives away with their external drives is dead simple and made for non-technical people. I set my mom up with that (though my mom is actually reasonably technically adept for a 70 year old ex-librarian). By default it just grabs the standard windows user folders, but there's easy checkbox UI for anything else.

Duplicati is IMO not well suited to local backups to an external drive, everything about the way it packages data up is optimized for cloud & networked storage.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Soiled Meat

I found Duplicati to be buggy and non-intuitive.