Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look at Azure Backup which uses DPM to backup Hyper-V hosts. You pay per month based on the size of your instances, but you don’t have to use cloud storage if you don’t want to - it will happily back up locally. You just need to run it on a box with enough disk space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I know literally nothing about tape backups, but I need a cheap way to backup ~50tb of data, is that a good option?

Run the numbers on tape (auto loader, having to manage replacing the tapes and drives and migrating to a new LTO spec when the old one is deprecated, getting those tapes off-site) vs. an AWS Storage Gateway and Glacier. This only works if your internet connection is up to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not a recommendation as we never ended up progressing with the project, but Barracuda make appliances with central management that on paper do what you want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Backing up to an external drive is fine for the built-in tool. I'd try and encourage disconnecting the USB disk periodically just in case the PC gets hit with a surge, ransomware etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027408/windows-10-backup-and-restore ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$20m deficit sounds really low compared to the value of the company, and the sort of thing you'd recover quickly (if you wanted to) by adding a couple of dollars onto the annual cost of the service

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is having them grant you permissions to do self-service on your own stuff in Veeam not an option?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This suggest you can, but I've not touched Veeam for years and it was never at any sort of scale

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/em_vcd_self_service_restore_items.html?ver=110

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they're already an Amazon Prime customer then Amazon Photos will store unlimited amounts of full-res original photos. Just keep a watch out for TOS changes in future so you can jump to another service if needed.

Otherwise I've had good luck with Backblaze, which will back up everything on your PC and do incremental updates, email you if backups aren't working for some reason etc. You can't use it like a service to share photos from, but I'd trust it more than trying to turn Google Drive into a backup service because you can do point-in-time recovery of the entire drive if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When the freebie version of Veeam was called Veeam Zip it was capable of doing that