Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Backup question:

We currently use Backup Exec "Not for resale edition" (seriously, that's what it says on the installer disc) to back up 6-7 physical servers to tape.
We are retiring servers and will soon have just 2 physical servers, each running 2 HyperV VMs and are looking to ditch Backup Exec. I'm not that familiar with backup of VMs vs. physical, differences if any, etc. but I'm looking to learn. What are some products and strategies I should be looking at? Thanks.

Veeam is shockingly useful for this exact thing. The completely free version does disk to tape and disk to disk to tape backups. I use it for backing up all my personal poo poo to tape, and once you get it set up right, it's pretty painless to deal with. Just make sure your SQL database isn't on C, because backing up millions of files makes the database bloat up amazingly fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

myron cope posted:

We use Veeam at work to replicate VMs from one site to the other. I don't administer Veeam and the guy who does keeps saying he'll check and never does. The question is can Veeam handle replicating a VM with Raw Device Mapped drives?

E: I realize not strictly backup related, but I figured people might be familiar with Veeam here

Load the Veeam agent on the VM itself, then do a file level backup? I'm not sure if it's able to more elegantly handle them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What about having her swap in an alternate drive periodically? Would I need to (or be able to) setup a second backup job that points to the other drive?

Never do this, because it never happens. I tried that, it never worked, as they always forgot about it. A cloud backup is probably the fastest/easiest way to just get it all backed up.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Under other circumstances I would happily just let an internet backup service handle it, but her DSL connection's upstream is way too slow to rely on, especially as she doesn't like leaving her computer on unless she's using it.

I know at least one of the backup places lets you pre-seed the backup from a HDD they mail you.